VF-1 Enters GN-U Dou Line

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

It's true, the 11B is just as tall as the 21 in the previous GNU toys, no reason to believe the VF-1 would be smaller. Revoltechs aren't to scale either though.

This is probably the biggest gripe I have with these figures. I don't understand why they can't all be the same scale. I don't mind paying the difference if some are taller than others. I mean Kaiyodo did it with the VF-1's and the Regult, yet they kept the price pretty much the same, so it seems that cost isn't a factor. It's what irks me about those K&M figures, too. The Tomahawk is just as tall as the VF-1J and VF-1S figures, but the Regult is about the right scale when compared to the VF's.

Nice find, charger! Wish they had gone with a different joint design for the knees. If these are supposed to be more anime-accurate, the back of the knees kills it for me. They should have stuck with the way these really look back there with that ribbed covering. I guess this joint they're using allows for better poseability?

Not impressed :)

Sorry Yamato - but you made your v.2 TOO GOOD.

I can do all of those poses with my version 2 1/60 VF-1 - and it's transformable.

Oh - and the trigger finger actually fits into the trigger.

Oh - and the back of the knees actually look anime accurate - whereas the GNU back of the knees...don't.

Not that I'm "mad" or anything. I understand they're competing with Revoltech/other small poseable anime action figures...

But... you can really tell it's a sort of marginal line.

Pete

Similar view here...

Yamato has already an excellent transformable line... Why bother to compete with Revoltech on this front? At least, why Macross?

Maybe it is really THAT cheap to manufacture, so Yamato wants to milk every drop of it in the 2009 Macross upsurge.

I can do all of those poses with my version 2 1/60 VF-1 - and it's transformable.

Oh - and the back of the knees actually look anime accurate - whereas the GNU back of the knees...don't.

Not that I'm "mad" or anything. I understand they're competing with Revoltech/other small poseable anime action figures...

Pete

Pete

well, the gn-u has a waist joint and a deeper leg bend then the 1/60

So one question is if the $74 price difference between the GNU and the 1/60 plus the extra $10 for shipping (SAL) so a total of $84.50 is worth it?

So:

GNU = $40.50 shipped (SAL)

1/60 = $125.00 shipped (SAL)

Which one am I going to pick? Not sure actually.

So one question is if the $74 price difference between the GNU and the 1/60 plus the extra $10 for shipping (SAL) so a total of $84.50 is worth it?

So:

I would never get one over a 1/60 but I might get one as a dupe or on an impulse buy if I saw it a hobby store or something.

So:

definitely go for the 1/60 if you can only get one or the other... transformable definitely beats more poseable...

(miriya @ Feb 13 2009, 04:06 PM) *

So:

I'd choose the GNU if they were actually in 1/100 scale. Alas...

While not a priority, I might get one anyways.

definitely go for the 1/60 if you can only get one or the other... transformable definitely beats more poseable...

Not necessarily. That depends on how one wishes to "play" with one's toy.

Not necessarily. That depends on how one wishes to "play" with one's toy.

in my book, a transformable toy for a transforming mech always beats a non-transformable rendition even if it could do yoga poses... :rolleyes:

...but, yeah, these GN-U's do look good, but i would only get them after i have acquired the 1/60 version and it goes on sale and i have the extra $$$ for it...

Edited by m0n5t3r

total pass on these guys

unless these sell for $15-$20

its not gonna work for me

Doesn't feel like I'm getting my

money worth.

yes they look nice but how many valks

do I need now that Yamato has finally gotten

it right with the new 1/60 v 2.0

edit:

I was just thinking, why dont they go make an SDF-1

bendable knees elbows rotating head etc

I'd rather have that than another vf-1

Edited by Macross73

So:

For me it would be the 1/60 no doubt about it. But not really due to price differences or any such consideration. And also not due simply to it "transforming." It's not just that it transforms - it's that it looks perfect in all three modes, comes with super and strike parts etc etc etc - that gimmick with the removable nose...everything...

I like poseable mecha figures like Revoltech. I prefer their wacky anime design to what Yamato have given us in GNU. I prefer the Revoltech Macross to the GNU Macross Plus for instance. Why? Because the Revoltech molds take full advantage of being non-transformable and therefore go all out in giving us pure anime inspired poses/sculpts. The Yamatos just don't look that appealing to me when compared to Revoltech Valkyrie...

Pete

well, the gn-u has a waist joint and a deeper leg bend then the 1/60

It would be nice if it had an actual waist joint instead of the mid torso joint that it does have. the one part I really don't like is the way the heat shield kind of sticks out since it's attached to the Chest.

they should have made this whole line 1/72 or 1/100 scale

If the VF1s are as big as the previous GNU series, then they are approximately 1/100 in scale, as my VF11/YF19 & 21 are as tall as Toynami VF1 and Bandai 1/100 VF1S model kit. I must confess I wasn't a great fan of the GNUs and (yes) they are too frakking expensive for what you get and are not as poseable as the Revoltechs (other favourites of mine). Despite this, I cannot but love them. They are always on display on my desk.

I think of they had released something other than a VF-1, everyone here would be lapping them right up. Price aside, I just do not see why people bag on them so; they are really well-designed figures.

And the verdict is still out on the VF100's. (although I can't fight the fact I'll probably snatch up an VF-27 regardless..)

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason i really go the revoltechs was because it came with so many extras that sorta made it worth the $20 price tag.... don't think i can justify the $30 retail price for the GN-U's with less accessories... even though it might be better quality than the Revoltechs...

The heat shield design stinks and it would bug me every time I looked at it.

Yamato 1/60 v.2s are a must and are to be kept under glass

Revoltech for cheap fun with lots of accessories at your desk

GN-U ? Unless you come out with something no one else has I will not be considering the line.

I'm no fan of Yamato's GN-U line, but here they are indeed offering something that no one has done before:

lineart accurate battroid proportions

It's amazing that within the past 27 years we've never seen a VF-1 toy with lineart accurate battroid proportions. As magnificent as the engineering is behind the v2 1/60 VF-1, it's battroid mode still suffers from anorexic legs and the unsightly priest-collar. Even the non-transformable battroid toys of the past have managed to somehow get the proportions wrong. It's refreshing to finally see a VF-1 battroid toy with accurate proportions, even if it's not transformable.

I don't see how the releases of even more VF-1s into an already saturated fanbase will boost the sales of the GNU line, to be honest. Already the YF-19, YF-21 and VF-11B set are offered at massive discounts, and Yamato thinks they can charge the same MSRP for the VF-1?