Thanks.

Story sounds corny & i'm sure their will be more mecha available then what is listed. I'll wait for some reviews before i activate the hype machine & pre-order.

This week's issue of Enterbrain's Famitsu magazine reveals that the recently announcedMacross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe game will unite the lead characters from multiple Macross anime titles in one era. ThePlayStation 3 action game tells an original story set on the planet of Ouroboros, where a space fold incident has brought together these characters from different eras.

Among the characters and transformable variable fighters that will appear are:

Next year is gonna be great, finaly a PS3 Macross game ( I don't count the Trial stuff from MF bundles). I only hope that there will be more mecha and characters than just the one main VF and chara per title.

I'm also a little skeptical about this whole new "original story" would prefer to play stages based on the actual events from different Macross titles then this funny stuff with Ouroboros planet. Oh well, I will see how it will be looking in the end.

Yeah, that definately doesn't look high def or current Gen.

I was just hoping it was just the low quality scans.... time will tell.

You were hoping... so what convinced you it wasn't the fault of the bad scans? You can't even make out any of the text. I think people are being a bit harsh on the graphics before even being able to see them.[

Anyway, Artdink confirmed, and that's all I need to know. Also, February 2013 release, according to certain sources.

And just what is that silhouette in the logo? YF-24?

edit - Argh, got ninjitsu'd by VF5SS...

Edited by Renato

And just what is that silhouette in the logo? YF-24?

Nope. Unless it's a refined one that's different from the art that's appeared so far:

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Statistics/YF-24/YF-24fighterTOP.jpg

Though, those stub-canards forward of the main wings remind me of a VF we've seen before...

Ok, am on the train looking at Famitsu now.

First up, the release date is indeed FEBRUARY 2013.

Graphically, it looks better than the Hybrid pack games but don't expect something that looks like a Mass Effect game or anything. In other words, it's exactly what I expect from a niche game from a small studio located in a market where HD content creation is the exception rather than the rule.

The graphics seem to have a slightly more cell shaded look to them. Oh and the YF19 totally looks like the weathering version (although that COULD just be the cell shading).

Also, while things are definstely bigger (ie, the Macross itself) than in past games,, scale is still off. The pic of the VF1S in gerwalk mode just above ARMD1 makes this kinda obvious.

OK, some newb questions here--

1. Why is Artdink a good thing?

2. What does the subtitle mean? Galaxy something song?

3. What's the red freighter-looking ship?

Though' date=' those stub-canards forward of the main wings remind me of a VF we've seen before...[/quote'] Well don't keep us in suspense, my friend. The Schneegans?
Edited by VF-15 Banshee

4. Well don't keep us in suspense, my friend. The Schneegans?

Nothing came of it. It's reminiscent of both the Schneegans and some of the designs of the VFs in MtR... but nothing really matches.

Maybe it's the actual production VF-24?

Literal translation would be 'the singing voice that connects the galaxy.'

For something thats a little easier to say, how about 'The voice that unites the galaxy'? or something like that.

To put it simply, Artdink cares about their anime licenses, and their PSP Macross games perfectly capture the nuances of the dynamic "Macross" style combat.

So this planet Ouroboros where the games story takes place is where everyone who has "mysteriously dissapeared" ended up, huh?

Good theory. I could respect that to some degree, depending on who the enemies are, or if we get some more answers then questions on the Protoculture. But i'm not expecting that. As long as it's not a dating sim/soap opera that needs too much translation to enjoy.

But it will feel a bit cheated if we finally get a VF-30 that only exist in this game. And personally i could care less about protagonists, i prefer some of the other heroes and need some Foker & some Ozma. Maybe even some Miria & Klan too.

Also the name Ouroboros is interesting & may provide more clues to the game's theme of recycling. wiki:

"The Ouroboros or Uroborus[1] is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragoneating its own tail.

The Ouroboros often represents self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things perceived as cycles that begin anew as soon as they end (compare with phoenix). It can also represent the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting from the beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished.

Edited by GMANIFESS

But it will feel a bit cheated if we finally get a VF-30 that only exist in this game. And personally i could care less about protagonists, i prefer some of the other heroes and need some Foker & some Ozma. Maybe even some Miria & Klan too.

It's not like that hasn't happened before.

Appeared in game/book/magazine and yet to appear in anime:

Variable Guraaji/Neo-Guraaji

YF-25

SW-XA1/SW-XAII

Appeared in game, later appeared in anime:

VB-6 (later appeared in MF)

First appeared in a book/magazine, later appeared in an anime or game:

VF-3000 (later appeared in the M3 game)

VF-5000 (later appeared in M+GE, M3 and was going to appear in a failed anime)

VF-9 (later appeared in the M3 game)

VA-3 (later appeared in D7 and the VF-X2 game)

And that's not including variants of what has appeared... some are quite radically different from the original. The VF-14 (from M3) and VF-19ACTIVE (from MtR) come to mind first.

Re: new story/protagonist

People are still talking about the unique story in VF-X2... 12 years on. ;)

Edited by sketchley

I can deal with it being a proper VF-24 at least that'd finally let us see one in action, but so help me if they actually call it the VF-30. *eyes the box full of Gyrashi(sp) behind him* I've got plenty of ammo to throw at them >_>

Just saw pics from Famitsu and have to say that it's gona be looking good. Valks and other mecha are looking very nice,missle tracers are awesome,only the terrain texture is low res and kinda ugly.

Now I'm curious how the gameplay of Basara will look like, standard kill them all or maybe something more like in M7. Sound force stuff etc .

And the release date is not so far away, the beginning of the next year will be great^^

Now I'm curious how the gameplay of Basara will look like, standard kill them all or maybe something more like in M7. Sound force stuff etc .

I'm sure it'll be the same play system as the PSP games, with the sound energy and everything. If you don't know what I mean, search through some of the PSP threads: Macross Ace Frontier, Ultimate Frontier, etc...

I can deal with it being a proper VF-24 at least that'd finally let us see one in action, but so help me if they actually call it the VF-30.

Why?

*eyes the box full of Gyrashi(sp) behind him* I've got plenty of ammo to throw at them >_>

What?

Looks like no one has posted this yet... Famitsu is running a big feature on the game in their weekly magazine. They've put up a "preview-of-the-preview" kind of thing on their website. The guy who's scanlating The First for us did a quick translation of it:

http://red-shoulders.blogspot.com/2012/10/macross-30-famitsu-preview-translation.html

There are a TON of actual screenshots (well, low-resolution screenshots) but enough to tell that the game looks gorgeous. I skipped the DYRL hybrid pack, thank god, so I can't compare it to that, but compared to the other two hybrid packs it looks a LOT better. I just hope it runs better, as Last Frontier had some nasty FPS dips. Everything looks great, even if I'd much rather have the usual missions-from-the-show set-up, but I am a bit concerned about the fact that there's no mention of Macross II. I really, really love the design of the VF-2SS. Sure, the other valks are cool and all, but compared to the Macross 2 stuff, they just feel too conservative.

Looking forward to picking up Famitsu tomorrow to actually see what some of the details are. Like the 'Hunter guild' mentioned in that pic- so either there's coop play or....Rick Hunter is back! Lol

Apparently it's the "good guy" faction of this crossover story. Every single crossover story I've seen in a game has been absolute ass, from Trinity Universe to ACE:R. I can't imagine this game-original tale will be all that good. Well, that said, Gundam did a game-original story for their 30th anniversary (Record U.C. 0081 Gundam Senki) and it was pretty good, if a bit by-the-numbers. Kind of a cross between 0083 and 08th MS Team. If they put in a similar amount of effort, maybe it wouldn't be too much to ask for if we kept our hopes high?

Aw, hell, who am I kidding. As long as Sheryl and Ozma get to interact a bit with Basara, I'll be happy. Aw, hell, who am I kidding again. As long as Basara sticks around to irritate everyone else with his antics, I'll be happy.

Artdink is an experienced developer that has already produces a great many Gundam and Macross games on the PS3. They've basically only got the one game engine (Gundam Battle Engine) that they've used for all their games, but they've been making steady improvements and enhancements so we KNOW it's going to be a great title. They just released Gundam Seed Battle Destiny on the Vita last summer, and it was a really great game.

Honestly, a PS3 Macross game is a long time coming. They've made 3 kind of half-assed sub-games bundled with Macross blu-rays in Hybrid Packs... and a lot of us have been waiting for them to make a full Macross game since that first Hybrid Pack, which was in 2008 or 2009 or something.

Ginga = galaxy, Utagoe = singing voice, Tsunagu = to link, to connect, etc. It directly translates to "the singing voice that connects the galaxy." It seems like everyone who's translated the title has chosen different words. My preferred translation (at the moment) is "The Song that Crosses the Galaxy."

3. What's the red freighter-looking ship?

I don't recognize it. Most likely it belongs to one of the native organizations on the planet.

Looks like no one has posted this yet... Famitsu is running a big feature on the game in their weekly magazine.

Well, Tochiro put up a link to their online feature earlier in the thread, and we've had low-quality scans for a few days, so not "no one"...

I have to say, I'm really liking the look of this Planet Ouroboros. I love the floating islands thing, and it just looks extremely "alien world"-like, in the classical SF sense, what with ringed planets in the skies and such.

Ah, sorry. I only noticed the different links to Magazine scans.

And I agree, the floating islands look pretty awesome, and given the mechanics of the game, they could be really fun to play with. Assuming we can fly over AND under them, AND walk around on top of 'em in Battroid mode, I can easily see 'em becoming my favorite map type.