Macross DYRL for Homeworld 2

Neova

I supposed if we paid for it, it would be finished. But seeing as how these people (the modders and windjammer) probably need to have real jobs and real lives and dont get paid for their efforts, its a much slower process. If you want it to go faster, try donating some money.

It's hard to ever really "finish" a modification/total conversion project. There's always more to do, more things to implement, improvements to be made.

I was basically the only one working on the HW TC, and I've basically called it quits... the other guys were swapping over to HW2, so I figured I would as well (well, after I got HW2 that is, which was a while after it was released). Our efforts were better directed to a new HW2 project than to improving or "finishing" the HW1 one.

I never offically 'called it quits' on the first project, but several factors contributed to the eventual fall off.

1) I am on a Dial-up connection

2) Work 9-12 hours/ day :(

3) Lack of communication between team members - this was the real killer. Not hearing from the project leader in 6 months really hangs things up :/

(<---HW2:DYRL Team Lead)

Actualy im glad you said something, i was about to go on a huge recruiting drive for lower poly modelers, so we could get more ingame sooner, but not sacrafice quality of course :p

If anyone wants to help out in the modeling/texturing area please E-mail me at PilotIsamu@aol.com, but please only do so if you are serious.

And as for ever finishing this mod, it will be finnished, in the aspect that all effects and ships will be in. i will not let work stop on this mod no matter what. and that is my promise.

anyway hope to hear from some of you modelers out there soon :D

I supposed if we paid for it, it would be finished. But seeing as how these people (the modders and windjammer) probably need to have real jobs and real lives and dont get paid for their efforts, its a much slower process. If you want it to go faster, try donating some money.

You hit the nail on the the head. lol

3) Lack of communication between team members - this was the real killer. Not hearing from the project leader in 6 months really hangs things up :/

Heh... sorry about that... There wasn't much I could do about it really... I was six weeks without a phone line to start, yet along internet.

It's hard to ever really "finish" a modification/total conversion project. There's always more to do, more things to implement, improvements to be made.

I was basically the only one working on the HW TC, and I've basically called it quits... the other guys were swapping over to HW2, so I figured I would as well (well, after I got HW2 that is, which was a while after it was released). Our efforts were better directed to a new HW2 project than to improving or "finishing" the HW1 one.

The simple fact is, the project has always been held back by the engine. I suppose it would be better to look at it this way:

Now we know what we're doing. And we're doing stuff the rest of the Homeworld community hasn't even dreamt up yet! ;)

We've got a ton of models that can be put in in the meantime without too much effort, but really, our best work is yet to come.

We just don't have the restrictions of the first game. We even can play as many races as we want and can have a proper single player campaign. We aren't bound by homeworld's restrictive ship lists or research trees.

The coolest thing is having multiple missile types, proper ammunition limitations, etc... I love it...

And I've had some ideas how to feasibly add in hardpoints. It's an awesome time for the mod.

Like was mentioned, we're not paid for this, and my real life can easily catch up with me. Not to mention, when you're unpaid, you really have to be in the mood to be productive. Or at least I do.

As for modellers, when he says low poly, we mean it...

Fighters - 800, corvettes, 1200, frigates 1800, etc. Nothing big here.

And I think that's one of the reasons this project will take off. I had too much on my plate to be team leader. Major is heaps better for the project.

Will there be any changes to the way the fighters behave?

I found a nifty mod, either on the Relic or Homeworld2 forums, that changes the fighters' behavior, and gives them missles.

It makes them behave less predictably and more interestingly.

I would love to see some Valks flying all around doing nifty new stuff and launching missles...maybe even shooting some missles down...*cough*...

Well once we get animations working, they are being a real pain in the asteroids -_- sorry for the odd words, Anyway once we get Anims working, we will have the valks able to change through all 3 modes (2 for those like the VF-X-3 and SDP-1) and shoot down missiles and such. everything will match as close to Macross Physics and motion as possible

If anyone wants to help out in the modeling/texturing area please E-mail me at PilotIsamu@aol.com, but please only do so if you are serious.

Major,

I suggest you hit up the FAN WORKS forum. There are some incredible modelers there and I hope you and the community can work out something together.

I had wanted to post this on your board but wat the hay.

Would you guys ever consider adding mechs from post DYRL ala Macross VFX 1 and 2? I would love to see the SDF-2, SDF-3, Valhalla, VF-4C, Y/VF-19, 21, VF-22, VF-11c, VF-17 S/D, VF-3000/5000 and etc... all in one mod / game.

Just a thought.

Ahh, Funny you should ask, I have plans to once the initial DYRL stage and campeign is done, to expand and move in to the Post Space War One era, (ala Flashback 2012) and eventualy up to the Macross 7 Era, 2040's and on, creating campeigns for each, and allowing you to pit any fleet style of your choosing, against any opponent, for instance the 7th fleet, Vs the Original Zjent armada, or DYRL Vs Varuta. (please excuse spelling). Of course that is a ways off, but verry possible with HW2's capeablities :)

Will there be any changes to the way the fighters behave?

I found a nifty mod, either on the Relic or Homeworld2 forums, that changes the fighters' behavior, and gives them missles.

It makes them behave less predictably and more interestingly.

I would love to see some Valks flying all around doing nifty new stuff and launching missles...maybe even shooting some missles down...*cough*...

Various versions of the Valks will be able to be upgraded in some way for them to carry missiles, either AMM-1s, UUM-7 pods, RMS-1s, or some combination.

Attack styles and other flight behavior will be changed and tweaked.

No Valks shooting down missiles, though; however, many capital ships will be equipped with proper CIWS emplacements for limited anti-missile defense. CIWS still isn't 100% functional (almost, though) and would just be problematic to try to implement on an extremely large scale (i.e., giving Valks, Regults, etc the ability to fire back at missiles).

Edited by Cdr Fokker

The simple fact is, the project has always been held back by the engine. I suppose it would be better to look at it this way:

[... quoted post truncated to save space ...]

Well, with the relase of the HW1 source, I was getting ready to overhaul a number of features, such as proper missile behavior and types, more slots, better ship attack behavior, etc.

But it just wasn't worth the effort when I could instead go work on HW2 right away.

Also, I work all the time. It's all I do. Either consulting/freelance stuff or Macross TC stuff. That's about it - I don't do anything else, or really have a life. (But that's fine.)

The only thing is, now I'm doing a lot of actual work, and will be for a while; however, I've set up things so that I work a week or two, then can work on the TC for a week or two, going in rotation. Should be fine...

• 5 years later...
Yea, outside of school I have nothing to do.

I have the least amount of life of anyone I know.

Which makes me really wish I could help on some sort of mod out there... =\

Ive recently stumbled across this Mod and I cant find any download links for it.....is this dead? It looks sooo cool.....and i tried the TC for homeworld 1 and was wondering if the SDF hadnt been implemented yet cuz its on the main page of the website.

I would appreciate it if someone could let me know about this mod or where i can get it as everywhere ive looked appears to be dead links.

Thanks!

T

• 3 months later...
Ive recently stumbled across this Mod and I cant find any download links for it.....is this dead? It looks sooo cool.....and i tried the TC for homeworld 1 and was wondering if the SDF hadnt been implemented yet cuz its on the main page of the website.

I would appreciate it if someone could let me know about this mod or where i can get it as everywhere ive looked appears to be dead links.

Thanks!

T

Looks to be completely dead from the discussion here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/macross-do-you-remember-love

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Wow, 9 years later this is still coming up? (More amazingly to me, it's really been 9 years? Holy crap.)

The project may be long since dead, but I'm still alive. Setting up my new HTPC and ripping all of my Macross DVDs recently reignited interest and has brought me back to MW yet again.

My memory is fuzzy on how things turned out since my last involvement many years ago, but I do still have everything for the HW2 DYRL:SWO mod from when I was last active on the project. I don't know how much more occurred after that point.

I've got bits and pieces of the HW1 DYRL mod around right now too, but can't find the whole thing. I have located the final patches and some of the development files, but haven't found the main install or my main dev folder yet. It's should be around here someplace, I just know it... but I can't seem find it right now. It's probably on one of my secondary backups, as my primaries are already mounted on my main active machine.

If there really is demand for one or both of those, PM me and I can hook you up.

Wow, 9 years later this is still coming up? (More amazingly to me, it's really been 9 years? Holy crap.)

The project may be long since dead, but I'm still alive. Setting up my new HTPC and ripping all of my Macross DVDs recently reignited interest and has brought me back to MW yet again.

My memory is fuzzy on how things turned out since my last involvement many years ago, but I do still have everything for the HW2 DYRL:SWO mod from when I was last active on the project. I don't know how much more occurred after that point.

I've got bits and pieces of the HW1 DYRL mod around right now too, but can't find the whole thing. I have located the final patches and some of the development files, but haven't found the main install or my main dev folder yet. It's should be around here someplace, I just know it... but I can't seem find it right now. It's probably on one of my secondary backups, as my primaries are already mounted on my main active machine.

If there really is demand for one or both of those, PM me and I can hook you up.

Please, if you can find it I'm really interested after install the patch I could not play more is more I could not even see it to start the mod.

if you can give Community support all crazy about this game we're going to make a statue in your honor. :D

I've gotten what I had running again in HW2. Digging around online, though, it appears there was development going on during my rather long hiatus from MW (and Macross in general). I have found a working download for the later Macross Generations project and I will look into that over the next few days. I will pack up what I have tomorrow and get you details on how to access it.

Also going to continue to look for DYRL 1.3 for the original HW1.

I've gotten what I had running again in HW2. Digging around online, though, it appears there was development going on during my rather long hiatus from MW (and Macross in general). I have found a working download for the later Macross Generations project and I will look into that over the next few days. I will pack up what I have tomorrow and get you details on how to access it.

Also going to continue to look for DYRL 1.3 for the original HW1.

THANKS AND MORE THANKS!!!!! :D

So, I've managed to find all of the stuff for the HW1 mod as well. I've put what I had running in HW2 as well as both installers (main+patch) for HW1 up on Crusader, my dev server.

Anybody who wants access, please PM me. (If somebody then wants to upload it somewhere else, that's fine - I just don't want to post up details for my personal server in public.)

I'll be looking into the other stuff from this "Macross Generations" project over the next few days.

And yes, the name of my server is both a reference to the VF-3000 as well as the F8U. All of my computers are named after aircraft that have both real-world and Macross namesakes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey CDR FOKKER....long time no see. it's odd I was just on the old Moddb page and know our old images are all over google.I still get emails about this thing. I have 99% of the models plus extras. Never lost the faith. Especially after Macross 30. I think Sins of the Solar Empire might be a better engine though for a mod

• 5 months later...

My brother just alerted me to the news of Homeworld Remastered; not super-new-news (announced a few months ago, apparently), but still something I hadn't caught wind of.

Maybe we'll have to start up a new project with the new stuff. Hopefully the new engine is focused on HW1-scale, so we can have proper Macross battles, instead of the crazy-tight HW2 scaling. (At least, I'm assuming it's a new engine; there's talk of shared multiplayer between the HW1 and HW2 remasters, so I'm guessing they're both on the same engine now, which would likely be new or a new variant.)

• 1 month later...