Details from Comic Con's Mass Effect Panel

This is coming from Game Informer, with more details to come this evening. Pics of the new Mako and the male and female armored character models shown. One report I read had the new game taking place during Shepard's lifetime, and that some old characters might appear. I suspect they meant era, as the designs shown seem more advanced then what we saw in the trilogy. More info should be out this evening as the gaming media's reports start coming in.

Games Radar Report

More info, it does indeed appear that the story of the new Mass Effect takes place during Shepard's lifetime.

Edit: Mass Effect wiki is reporting that the timeline was not discussed, only that we may see some old characters. Also, it sounds like this game takes place in galaxy other than our own. The (not literal) name of the game is exploration.

Edited by Duke Togo

Guest davidwhangchoi

BTW, they said durning the panel that the game was years away. I assume that to mean 2016.

damn.... that's far

Mass Effect ComicCon transcript clarifies a few details

Initial reports from the Mass Effect ComicCon were largely based on people tweeting from within the event, and our own was no exception. We were indebted to Nerd Appropriates twitter coverage, and the same site has now put up a more in-depth transcript from the panel.

With fuller responses to the questions now available, a few details about the new Mass Effect game be clarified and expanded upon.

The Mako, according to Mike Gamble, is going to be fundamental to the game. BioWare is building a game about exploring places, and obviously [if you're] exploring places [you're going to need] a really handy vehicle. Its said to be capable of tearing around planets really quickly, and Make customisation is something the team has been looking at.

Any remaining vagueness to these answers is most likely because the new Mass Effect title is still a number of years away.

There were mumblings and suggestions that this might be the game in the series that finally allows non-human main characters in single player, but that seems as if it wont be the case. For sure your main character will be human but in terms of other playable races we cant talk about that at this point, Gamble said.

Thats some interesting phrasing, and other playable races would presumably refer to either a return of co-operative multiplayer (hinted at elsewhere in the panel) or a system like Dragon Age: Inquisition where its possible to take control over other squad characters during combat.

Regarding the point in time when the game might be set, Gamble says we still want to bring in elements of what you know and love about the previous trilogy that might include certain characters and it might not. So guaranteed, either way that we end up going youre going to see a certain amount of the old with the new. The races you know will to some degree still be present, and new races were also mentioned.

Referring to a specific question about Mass Effect timelines and the new title, the reply was this What I will say is that (long sigh) youre NOT playing as Shepard and Shepard is not a central part of the story, so you can assume whatever you need to assume from that. We want to give players new places to explore [and] uncharted areas that havent been explored before.

Well, I guess the good news here is still that a new Mass Effect game is in the works.

It's hard to let go of a character that you've played over (3) games and multiple upon multiple re-plays but I am happy to move past Shepard and onto a new central character.

Hopefully the returning characters are the more interesting ones and not damn Ashley or Kaiden.

And to Knight26's point, it had better play the same as the original Mass Effect trilogy.

-b.

I just hope that this doesn't up some MMO only game.

Where did you get that idea from? Should we also say " I just hope this doesn't end up some sports game" or "I hope this doesn't end up some 2d side-scrolling game"?

Edited by Duke Togo

Where did you get that idea from? Should we also say " I just hope this doesn't end up some sports game" or "I hope this doesn't end up some 2d side-scrolling game"?

People are still pissed that ME3 forced you to play multiplayer to have an effect on the storyline, and that it was just a prototype for a coming MMO version of Mass Effect.

People are still pissed that ME3 forced you to play multiplayer to have an effect on the storyline, and that it was just a prototype for a coming MMO version of Mass Effect.

First off, spending very little time using the app gave the same effect as playing multiplayer. Secondly, they patched that to make it unnecessary. And thirdly, if anyone thought that was a prelude to an MMO they've never played an MMO.

Edited by Duke Togo

Guest davidwhangchoi

Mass Effect ComicCon transcript clarifies a few details

Initial reports from the Mass Effect ComicCon were largely based on people tweeting from within the event, and our own was no exception. We were indebted to Nerd Appropriates twitter coverage, and the same site has now put up a more in-depth transcript from the panel.

With fuller responses to the questions now available, a few details about the new Mass Effect game be clarified and expanded upon.

The Mako, according to Mike Gamble, is going to be fundamental to the game. BioWare is building a game about exploring places, and obviously [if you're] exploring places [you're going to need] a really handy vehicle. Its said to be capable of tearing around planets really quickly, and Make customisation is something the team has been looking at.

Any remaining vagueness to these answers is most likely because the new Mass Effect title is still a number of years away.

There were mumblings and suggestions that this might be the game in the series that finally allows non-human main characters in single player, but that seems as if it wont be the case. For sure your main character will be human but in terms of other playable races we cant talk about that at this point, Gamble said.

Thats some interesting phrasing, and other playable races would presumably refer to either a return of co-operative multiplayer (hinted at elsewhere in the panel) or a system like Dragon Age: Inquisition where its possible to take control over other squad characters during combat.

Regarding the point in time when the game might be set, Gamble says we still want to bring in elements of what you know and love about the previous trilogy that might include certain characters and it might not. So guaranteed, either way that we end up going youre going to see a certain amount of the old with the new. The races you know will to some degree still be present, and new races were also mentioned.

Referring to a specific question about Mass Effect timelines and the new title, the reply was this What I will say is that (long sigh) youre NOT playing as Shepard and Shepard is not a central part of the story, so you can assume whatever you need to assume from that. We want to give players new places to explore [and] uncharted areas that havent been explored before.

thanks duke

Comic-Con Video Shows Bits and Pieces of the Next Mass Effect

Video and more information on the character and Mako. Greatest takeaway from this video: the main character is an explorer. Unsurprising given that the game is said to be based around exploration, but it leaves me a little confused as to why the main character is N7.

Comic-Con Video Shows Bits and Pieces of the Next Mass Effect

Video and more information on the character and Mako. Greatest takeaway from this video: the main character is an explorer. Unsurprising given that the game is said to be based around exploration, but it leaves me a little confused as to why the main character is N7.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Mako in Mass Effect but I like what I see so far with this new iteration. I don't mind the main character being N7, it keeps a consistent theme across the game series, especially since you won't be playing as "a" Shepard.

-b.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Mako in Mass Effect but I like what I see so far with this new iteration. I don't mind the main character being N7, it keeps a consistent theme across the game series, especially since you won't be playing as "a" Shepard.

-b.

Right, but N7 designates special forces, yet they're pretty clear in the video that the main character is an explorer, and doesn't wear combat armor.

Right, but N7 designates special forces, yet they're pretty clear in the video that the main character is an explorer, and doesn't wear combat armor.

Yeah, but you're using real world logic or tactics pertaining to military forces and applying it to this game. There was nothing that said Alliance Navy Special Forces N7 couldn't do exploratory missions.

Besides you know there's going to be combat, and with that I'll be happy to have a character that has military training where it makes sense that he/she is capable in those situations.

-b.

Well right, and I'm sure if we truly are exploring another galaxy you want that sort of person involved. Just struck me as slightly odd; a little bit of a contridiction. I won't lose any sleep over it. :)

Edited by Duke Togo

Well if you are exploring new areas it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an explorer who has some form of combat training. It might even be a case where the explorer is ex-military and had N7 training while they were in.

And my comment about it possibly going MMO is because of games like SW:TOR, which many described as a single player game wrapped in an MMO shell. I would have liked to play that game's storyline, but didn't want to have to deal with going on servers and dealing with a bunch of folks interupting the flow. I just hope that they don't take that direction with ME4.

Well right, and I'm sure if we truly are exploring another galaxy you want that sort of person involved. Just struck me as slightly odd; a little bit of a contridiction. I won't lose any sleep over it. :)

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I really can't wait until more solid details start to come out regarding the next game(s).

And don't mention loss of sleep, you haven't seen the foolishness over in the Toy Section. :lol:

-b.

Between this, No Mans Sky, Destiny and Elite: Dangerous - among a number of others - its beginning to look like "Space" is the new "Zombies".

It's the 80's all over again! I'm fine with space/future tech being the next big thing, we need some more good space games.