Robotech Academy - You want a new Robotech series...?

Guest davidwhangchoi

They really didn't seem to have a better plan for it than the potato salad guy did. Outside of reading the guidelines it doesn't strike me that they did a lot of research into what makes a successful kickstarter, and they seem to be doing a lot of stuff on the fly.

+1

i'm looking on the kickstarter page without any bias towards Macross or Robotech i just wanted to see the updates. 25# says: new transforming mecha!

i click the link....

i no transformation pictures.... it's the same picture that was posted on MW over the weekend...

MW posted those pics faster than the RT kickstarter page.

how can anyone support a joke like this...

i'm looking on the kickstarter page without any bias towards Macross or Robotech i just wanted to see the updates. 25# says: new transforming mecha!

i click the link....

i no transformation pictures.... it's the same picture that was posted on MW over the weekend...

Yep... the Kickstarter backers have repeatedly attempted to take Harmony Gold to task over a lack of substantial news, a lack of anything resembling a production plan, pledge tiers whose "rewards" are completely out of proportion to the amount being given, and the utter absence of stretch goals. Thus far, they've gotten nowhere and received only platitudes from McKeever about the supposed "big news" in store, which has been pretty underwhelming.

If you're using your Kickstarter updates to announce products completely unrelated to the Kickstarter, like the Robotech comics and art books that Udon is supposedly publishing, then you're doing it wrong.

If the Academy will be done without reaching the goal, could it be that HG was gauging the serious interests of the fans? Like a test to see where they really stand?

Nah, I doubt they'll continue forward with this after such a negative reception. If they'd gotten say, to $480,000, they might have had an incentive to continue work on it on their own nickel. This is turning into Robotech 3000 Mk.II, a disaster so momentous that killing it with fire will probably be their outcome of choice. (After all, Harmony Gold management was so fond of Robotech 3000 that they'd opted to cancel it TWICE just to be sure.)

I don't think there was any ulterior motive behind the Kickstarter, they just saw the frankly embarrassingly huge amount of dosh the Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter raked in and said "Man, I gotta get me some'a that!"

If the Academy will be done without reaching the goal, could it be that HG was gauging the serious interests of the fans? Like a test to see where they really stand?

Either way it doesn't look good. If they were gauging interest they just had harsh discovery that there isn't a lot. But I do think they based it on the popularity of the table top gaming funding. But with the game, all they really had to do was splash up some SDF Macross line art of mechs and people were all over it. With this project, they couldn't really do that. There's just not enough interest in a few mediocre designs when anime fans are inundated with newer and more popular shows and toys from reliable companies. It's a lose/lose situation that they have put themselves in. They needed to cultivate a property that can people would be interested in order to raise money for this type of situation. But at the same time, if they had done that already, they wouldn't be in this situation and wouldn't need a fundraiser.

There's suppose to be an up-surge of pledges on today once the people from the panel come home from SDCC and spread the word. I guess there's just no way for them to get the word out or pledge themselves while they're there.
If only people had wireless personal devices to connect to the internet... Personally, I never come out of Comic Con with any extra money. :p

Am I way off base here thinking that their best option has always been to co-produce a sequel to MOSPEADA, and later adapting it to fit into their continuity (while throwing out everything not seen in the original Robotech series)? It just seems so blindingly obvious to me.

Edited by Duke Togo

I don't dare to hope the blunt revelation that both macross fans and robotech fans hate hg will cause them to do anything differently from now on.

True, but if anything I'm shocked to see how HG is universally hated. I looked at the different forums someone linked on this thread, the places where most of their news releases went, and people that have nothing to do with Macross are really turned off by them as a company. I mean, TFW probably has some crossover fans but I was looking at the comments on Kotaku, ANN forums and other general entertainment sites. The kindest things written were by people that haven't talked about Robotech since the 80's or 90's and those people weren't excited enough to go to the KS page, they were just willing to see if it eventually get funded and check it out if it gets released.

Am I way off base here thinking that their best option has always been to co-produce a sequel to MOSPEADA, and later adapting it to fit into their continuity (while throwing out everything not seen in the original Robotech series)? It just seems so blindingly obvious to me.

I think that they should jump ahead to a point where Scott is the old relic from the series and Macross is left way behind. Start a whole new fresh continuity with small references to the past. But you'll still need some real talent for that. The real draw back here is the iron grip that's choking the franchise. And as much as they would think it would hurt them, I think they really need to show a huge step of good will to get some people's trust back. Yup... I'm talking about handing back or relaxing the blockiade of Macross products. They really have to look like the heroes in this to stop people from badmouthing them in every site they are mentioned.

Kinda-sorta? The Robotech fan base has always ranked the "New Generation" saga a distant second-best to the Macross Saga, to such an extent that the toy sales actually slipped 66% once they started trying to roll out New Generation MPCs and other toys.

The fans don't have a lot of love for the New Generation, because the Robotech versions of several characters either ended up more annoying (Mint) or lost something in translation and become slightly weird (Jim, Yellow). The Macross Saga is what utterly dominates the fandom's interests, which is why every effort to continue the series except for the ill-fated Robotech 3000 project focused on the Macross connection.

They COULD probably do OK with a MOSPEADA sequel if it were sold in Japan... but without the connection to the Macross Saga characters, there would be precious little to hold the attention of the average Robotech fan.

I think that they should jump ahead to a point where Scott the old relic from the series and Macross is left way behind. Start a whole new fresh continuity with small references to the past. But you'll still need some real talent for that. The real draw back here is the iron grip that's choking the franchise.

They actually tried that in the comics. It... well... to say that it didn't work and the fans hated it would be putting it mildly. Partly because they flanderized the rather old Scott into a General Ripper type, and partly because there was no connection to all of those familiar characters and settings that the fans care about.

You have to remember, for all their noise about wanting to move the story forward, the actual requests and polling data from the Robotech.com forums shows that what they're really after is for the story to move forward, but to keep everything and everyone from the Robotech television series exactly as it was... which is stasis, not progress.

Their only avenue forward is MOSPEADA. They either embrace it or continue to flounder. Macross is a dead end for them. Who knows how a MOSPEADA sequel would be received in Japan, but it certainly would have as good of a shot as any of the other dozens of new anime productions we see every year. Of course, that's assuming HG were co-producing, and not trying to force their "creative talent" into the writing or design process.

Their only avenue forward is MOSPEADA. They either embrace it or continue to flounder. Macross is a dead end for them.

That'd be why they tried, with little success, to Macross-ize the MOSPEADA setting they had to work with in Shadow Chronicles.

Legioss/Alpha's with Macross-style FAST packs, Skull squadron under one of Max's kids, and they even originally planned for the colony ship Ark Angel to transform into something that looked a fair piece like the original SDF-1 Macross. Fans largely blasted it for the blatantly crowbarred-in antagonist, the retcons to "Symphony of Light", the blatant sexualized presentation of every female character, the unlikable new cast, the bait-and-switch they pulled with "Rick Hunter", and the way you had to have read the comic they put out beforehand to have a complete grasp of the plot.

In short... been there, didn't work. That seems to be why they're trying to move backwards in time towards more Macross-y eras with Robotech Academy.

Who knows how a MOSPEADA sequel would be received in Japan, but it certainly would have as good of a shot as any of the other dozens of new anime productions we see every year. Of course, that's assuming HG were co-producing, and not trying to force their "creative talent" into the writing or design process.

Considering their past behavior and that even this Kickstarter had as a stated reason that Harmony Gold didn't wany anyone else besides them calling the shots for their project, I can't see them willing to NOT force themselves upon a jointly produced sequel to MOSPEADA.

The old Steve Jobs adage is "people don't know what they want until you give it to them"... but you have to at least try to make it good. I remember those comic books and they were pretty bad. The worst thing about them was that they art looked nothing like the original 3 shows. But they were comic books, usually done by 2 people... the writer and the artist, and done within impossible time limits with small budgets. If they wanted to do a new show, they'd have to spend some money and hire people that can do it right. Again, it seems like it's too late as far as HG is concerned... and too much bad blood.

Yep... the Kickstarter backers have repeatedly attempted to take Harmony Gold to task over a lack of substantial news, a lack of anything resembling a production plan, pledge tiers whose "rewards" are completely out of proportion to the amount being given, and the utter absence of stretch goals. Thus far, they've gotten nowhere and received only platitudes from McKeever about the supposed "big news" in store, which has been pretty underwhelming.

If you're using your Kickstarter updates to announce products completely unrelated to the Kickstarter, like the Robotech comics and art books that Udon is supposedly publishing, then you're doing it wrong.

Nah, I doubt they'll continue forward with this after such a negative reception. If they'd gotten say, to $480,000, they might have had an incentive to continue work on it on their own nickel. This is turning into Robotech 3000 Mk.II, a disaster so momentous that killing it with fire will probably be their outcome of choice. (After all, Harmony Gold management was so fond of Robotech 3000 that they'd opted to cancel it TWICE just to be sure.)

I don't think there was any ulterior motive behind the Kickstarter, they just saw the frankly embarrassingly huge amount of dosh the Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter raked in and said "Man, I gotta get me some'a that!"

There's one primary reason why the RPG Tactics Kickstarter made it's goal and Robotech couldn't. Because RPG Tactics can actually deliver VF-1's and Destroids. Also because, despite their slowness, Palladium will actually finish a product eventually.

Announcement new RT artbooks featuring TOS and RT Academy from UDON. Talks with Palladium & Toynami about Toy exclusives!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381502542/robotech-academy/posts/929272

WTH? RT Academy artbooks? Shouldn't they try getting the show made first?

If they said let's start a KS-project to reboot the series, heck, if they decided to reboot the series, I think the networks would probably hop on board with that idea.

If they said let's start a KS-project to reboot the series, heck, if they decided to reboot the series, I think the networks would probably hop on board with that idea.

As a point of historical relevance, Harmony Gold tried this exact same approach with Robotech 3000. One of the companies that they were reportedly in talks with over merchandising for Robotech 3000 before production began in earnest was Palladium. The version of events that Palladium's fans usually relate is that Harmony Gold tried to "entice" Palladium into purchasing the rights to develop a Robotech 3000 RPG sight-unseen by making obtaining those rights a prerequisite to renewal of their license to publish material for the existing Robotech setting. This is supposedly why Palladium's Robotech license lapsed for a few years after that project sank without a trace.

After Robotech's piss-poor ratings performance on Toonami in the 90's, I doubt any network would want a rebooted Robotech. The franchise's track record of coming off a very distant second-best to Transformers or literally anything else big at the time is not something that screams "Success and money shall be yours".

EDIT: Pretty sure the guy trolling Robotech.com is Kickstarter backer Rache Bartmoss.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

HG is a Timelords enterprise^^

Yep... the Kickstarter backers have repeatedly attempted to take Harmony Gold to task over a lack of substantial news, a lack of anything resembling a production plan, pledge tiers whose "rewards" are completely out of proportion to the amount being given, and the utter absence of stretch goals.

If they had a problem with ANY of that they should not have pledged in the first place.

I would definitely put down some cash for a reboot of Robotech. "In 1985 Robotech adapted three unique Japanese show and made them into an epic tale that has been loved for 30 years. Unfortunately, the origin of the show and some economic hurdles along the way has made it difficult to expand the universe like we've always dreamed. So, we would like to bring Robotech to a new generation and simultaneously eliminate all of the issues tied to the original. This new story won't be the same as the original Robotech. Events will change. Places will change. Characters will change. We feel though, at the end of the day, we can capture those things that made Robotech great for you in a way that will make it great for your children. Join us."

I'd be down for that... but even then I'd want some reassurance that the staff for the proposed reboot had the necessary skills.. and nothing I've seen for Robotech Academy (aside from the voice acting talent) has gotten me there.

HG could actually make some money if they dropped RT all together and just started to sell Macross stuff. (I am sure this has been suggested 100 times before, I just don't care enough to read the HG threads.)

Legioss/Alpha's with Macross-style FAST packs, Skull squadron under one of Max's kids, and they even originally planned for the colony ship Ark Angel to transform into something that looked a fair piece like the original SDF-1 Macross. Fans largely blasted it for the blatantly crowbarred-in antagonist, the retcons to "Symphony of Light", the blatant sexualized presentation of every female character, the unlikable new cast, the bait-and-switch they pulled with "Rick Hunter", and the way you had to have read the comic they put out beforehand to have a complete grasp of the plot.

I remember watching RT:SC, and, despite being familiar with the old series and having read the Sentinels books, being a bit lost on some plot points. I never knew that you had to have read that Prelude comic in order to get up to date on things prior to the movie.

This would be a big problem for this new series (if it gets done). Can the writers present a show that newcomers can understand without having seen anything else? Judging by their previous effort in RT:SC, I'm not so sure about that.

If they had a problem with ANY of that they should not have pledged in the first place.

True... but most of them saw "Robotech" and jumped exactly like Harmony Gold was hoping they would, and only later did they sit down and realize "Hey wait, this is REALLY fecking poorly executed". They're the most optimistic fans, who hope and believe that Harmony Gold can change and one day get it right... which, when I put it that way, sounds distressingly like spousal abuse. :wacko:

I remember watching RT:SC, and, despite being familiar with the old series and having read the Sentinels books, being a bit lost on some plot points. I never knew that you had to have read that Prelude comic in order to get up to date on things prior to the movie.

This would be a big problem for this new series (if it gets done). Can the writers present a show that newcomers can understand without having seen anything else? Judging by their previous effort in RT:SC, I'm not so sure about that.

Yeah, you have to have read Prelude to actually get any information about how the UEEF came into possession of the "Shadow technology", why they blindly armed their entire fleet with it when they knew it didn't work as advertised, and why the Haydonites want to murder the everloving hell out of them. Without those all-important plot points from the comic, the events from RTSC do end up losing some pretty vital context.

This is going to be, if anything, an even bigger problem for Robotech Academy in the (profoundly) unlikely event that it ends up being produced. Almost every advertised character and plot point outright REQUIRES that you be familiar with both the original 1985 Robotech series and the failed Robotech II: the Sentinels series. That's one reason among many that no network will pick the thing up if it's made... the simple truth is that, for a proposed new series, Robotech Academy is no ambassador. Unless you happen to be a die-hard Robotech fan, the story of Robotech Academy would be a completely bewildering series of seemingly random events and unexplained motivations.

This is going to be, if anything, an even bigger problem for Robotech Academy in the (profoundly) unlikely event that it ends up being produced. Almost every advertised character and plot point outright REQUIRES that you be familiar with both the original 1985 Robotech series and the failed Robotech II: the Sentinels series. That's one reason among many that no network will pick the thing up if it's made... the simple truth is that, for a proposed new series, Robotech Academy is no ambassador. Unless you happen to be a die-hard Robotech fan, the story of Robotech Academy would be a completely bewildering series of seemingly random events and unexplained motivations.

Yeah. This is why Academy wouldn't make any sense. Unless it's for diehards, in which case, good for them. But potential to bring in new fans, "Outlook no so Good". And this is why manga side-stories work when they are marketed with a animated production. They run in parallel and have little to no impact on the main story. Anyone who watches the show doesn't have to run out and grab a comic just to know why this or why that. If you make the viewer do more than just watch the show, you're asking them to make more of an effort. That doesn't work most of the time. If the KS was for just a reboot, I think they would be much better. If they did it without the do-it-for-Carl, or with the current people running the franchise, they would probably be funded by now.

Finally got around to finishing that YT video. It has more holes in it than swiss cheese, and totally ignores the fact that most of the fans that have gripes about the Kickstarter, are in fact, Robotech fans that don't want to support a half thought out piece of garbage by Tommy Yune. Yes, I said Tommy Yune, because I know Tom Bateman used to talk to Carl quite often, and when the conversation of Robotech would come up regarding Carl and what he was trying to work on, it wasn't this. He was working on what would've been sequels to Shadow Chronicles. As far as the idea of their LLA, That was something Carl had thought of doing well before it was done, when the lull in the franchise was maybe at its peak. In any case, what most people here have said makes a deal of sense. The idea that it's all Macross fans trying to kill his nostalgia and making him cry foul is simply not true. I also found that his idea that Robotech is better than the original source material is quite laughable. Sure, he's welcome to his own opinion, just like everyone is welcome to criticize his opinion, or lack of taste, or whatever you feel you want to. I personally couldn't careless about it. If he's happy that barely 2200 people in the entire world are backing a franchise that is supposedly a popular household name is great, more power to him. Maybe the fact that many of us are standing away from the picture, is the reason why we can see it on the whole for what it really is, and what's really wrong with it.

Has HG even attempted to try and make nice with the Macross powers in Japan? Seems like the obvious solution for all their Macross/Robotech woes. Make nice with Japan, work out a distribution deal not only for the toys, but current and future animations. Work it out to have some items branded as both Macross/Robotech and make everyone happy!

I'm sure Japan wants absolutely nothing to do with HG though, and I don't blame them. In the end, if HG can't seem to do anything worthy with the "license", they should sell it off and focus on stuff they are actually good at. I'm reading updates here and there on this Kickstarter, and am just amazed at the overwhelming smell of douche and desperation that's coming from it.

Has HG even attempted to try and make nice with the Macross powers in Japan? Seems like the obvious solution for all their Macross/Robotech woes. Make nice with Japan, work out a distribution deal not only for the toys, but current and future animations. Work it out to have some items branded as both Macross/Robotech and make everyone happy!

I'm sure Japan wants absolutely nothing to do with HG though, and I don't blame them.

During a conversation I had with Tommy Yune back in '08, he mentioned to me that Harmony Gold had actually made an attempt to "come to terms" with Big West and Studio Nue several years previously. He sort of danced around the actual reason that they were unsuccessful, but what I gathered from his explanation was that Harmony Gold had basically approached Big West and told them that they were perfectly at liberty to distribute Macross in the west... provided that Harmony Gold had absolute veto powers over all licensing and received a share of the profits as royalties for the use of the Macross name and related iconography.

In practical terms, it wasn't so much an attempt to mend fences as an extortion attempt.

Big West supposedly very politely, but firmly, declined Harmony Gold's offer and thanked them for their time.

I'm sure Japan wants absolutely nothing to do with HG though, and I don't blame them. In the end, if HG can't seem to do anything worthy with the "license", they should sell it off and focus on stuff they are actually good at. I'm reading updates here and there on this Kickstarter, and am just amazed at the overwhelming smell of douche and desperation that's coming from it.

I think HG stance is that they got BW by the balls. They have all the trademarks to the Macross name and the right to distribute the original (SDF and DYRL) outside of Japan and it's them that need to make nice. But the longer it takes the more the opposite becomes true. Macross becomes more successful as a brand without the need of international distribution because of the internet and HG's offering and business tactics become less and less attractive. But they have their hands caught in the proverbial Macross cookie jar. They're unwilling to let go so they're just stuck there with their hands caught.

One other thing to keep in mind is that like many studios and networks, Japan is looking to cut out the middle-man like licensors. It cuts into their cut of the profits. Sites like Crunchyroll and Youtube are much better for simulcast viewing, especially if the show is uploaded for streaming the following day. Or release on DVD/Blu-ray themselves. Bandai Visual has done with various Gundam series lately.

One other thing to keep in mind is that like many studios and networks, Japan is looking to cut out the middle-man like licensors. It cuts into their cut of the profits. Sites like Crunchyroll and Youtube are much better for simulcast viewing, especially if the show is uploaded for streaming the following day. Or release on DVD/Blu-ray themselves. Bandai Visual has done with various Gundam series lately.

Speaking of Youtube and Crunchyroll, when the new Macross series airs could Big West upload it to a youtube channel similar to how Sunrise did with Gundam Build Fighters or could HG try and file a copyright claim to take the videos down?

Just a little side-note, I posted that neckbeard's video on MAHQ and it annoyed a couple of people enough to make video responses. Should be fun! And informative. :)

Speaking of Youtube and Crunchyroll, when the new Macross series airs could Big West upload it to a youtube channel similar to how Sunrise did with Gundam Build Fighters or could HG try and file a copyright claim to take the videos down?

That's exactly what would happen. I'm sure they'd file a protest even if they tried to put it on a Japan-owned site like Daisuki.com.

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

Just a little side-note, I posted that neckbeard's video on MAHQ and it annoyed a couple of people enough to make video responses. Should be fun! And informative. :)

We need more Popcorn indeed

6074968_b872_625x1000.jpg

HG can't make things right with BW because BW's troubled relationship is with Tatsunoko. Those two companies do not play nice. So long as HG has their rights by way of the relationship with Tatsunoko then BW will want nothing to do with them. The only way to really SOLVE this problem is for HG's relationship with Tatsunoko to end and then Tatsunoko to sell their rights back to BW.

Sorry, I know this isn't a licensing thread but I wanted to make sure we all understand that HG can never make nice with anyone because they're a non-entity as far as anyone but Tatsunoko is concerned.

I've been thinking that one way to circumvent HG's grip on the Macross name internationally would be for Big West to stream from Japan (for example on Daisuki) and then just remove the name Macross from the show and call it something else internationally (and every time the name is mentioned just translate it as something else).

I only mention this after watching the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure stream. There's a series of characters called after Western artists (Steely Dan, J. Geil for examples) yet in the Crunchyroll translation, they're called something else (Dan of Steel, Centerfold). It's a bit confusing to hear the japanese voice actor say one name and the translated subs something else, but it doesn't really detract from one's enjoyment. I've read that they changed the name in the subs precisely to avoid copyrights issues.

Edited by Marzan

Guest davidwhangchoi

I only mention this after watching the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure stream. There's a series of characters called after Western artists (Steely Dan, J. Geil for examples) yet in the Crunchyroll translation, they're called something else (Dan of Steel, Centerfold). It's a bit confusing to hear the japanese voice actor say one name and the translated subs something else, but it doesn't really detract from one's enjoyment. I've read that they changed the name in the subs precisely to avoid copyrights issues.

i'll be angry if my subs don't say "Vanilla Ice"

(i wonder what title would be used in place.... Macro S.?)

damn it's going to be funny when the HG kickstarter just ends. then it's going to get boring...

Edited by davidwhangchoi