Battletech kickstarter computer game.

koonfasa

Turned based tactical combat set in 3025 for PC/Mac.

Yeah I know, but it's related. I figured any English speaking Macross community would likely have fans that followed Battletech to some extent. So they made $1mil in 24hrs, that must be worth talking about somewhere here! And that doesn't seem to include the toy fans, as I haven't seen it mention anywhere, just happened to chance upon it on a rare random look at Kickstarter. Looks to be a computer version of the boardgame.

I started with the boardgame, and I still remember those rules. That 3025 readout was my most coveted book, and when I saw that VF initialled on the Crusader's leg, I knew exactly what was happening. I bought Mechwarrior3 with my first PC, and originally got the Xbox for Mechassault. After that I simply forgot about them, till I noticed Catalyst revive them. Haven't really been following except just bought those hardcover rule books just for nostalgia. And now this!

IMG_3850_zpsxmtsok4n.jpg

Edited by koonfasa

This actually looks like something i would play. I always wondered why they wouldn't make a pc version of the boardgame. It seemed like it would lead it self well to the stragety/tactics genre. I played the boardgame when i was a kid back in the 80s. Loved it but fell out of it as i got older and didn't have time to play.

Edited by Sandman

I've been playing Battletech since the late 1980s. I still have every sourcebook I ever bought (including the old 3025 and 3050 tech readouts with the unseen designs), all of my old ral partha miniatures (I have a reinforced battalion). I did quit following when they jumped the shark and went with the whole jihad/Dark Ages thing though. My interest stopped at the downfall of Katherine Steiner.

I thought Mechwarrior Online was a gigantic flop (I was SUPER pissed because the game was originally going to be marketed with an awesome single player campaign during the 3rd succession war), although I still dabble with it from time to time. When I heard Jordan was working up a new computer game based on the board game, I contributed to the kickstarter right away. I was very glad to see he's taking the series back to it's roots (the succession wars), and I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

there was an attempt recently that went WAY off track with cards and other crap added. Mechwarrior Tactics.

What a disappointment that was. The cards thing is really just the top of the iceberg, half the time it was impossible for me to just play the darn thing thanks to that freaking Unity piece of crap.

The team working on that game was just not up to the task.

There was potential but here you go...

Edited by Castel

As i recall, when Mechcommander was being made back in the 90's, it originally was supposed to be turned based. At the time however, because of the popularity of other Build Sims (like Starcraft , Red Alert, and Total Analilation, they went the way they did with the MC theme...

Skull Leader: They had no choice to completely fill in the Jihad because of Clicky Tech's efforts to jump the timeline. Something that huge had to be explained (and at the time, because of legal issues that prohibited any novels asides from the pulp stories formate, source books for the Jihad story arc was the only way to get ANY comprehensive understanding of how Clicky Tech's story evolved into what it was...) You're not the only one to either scratch your head and figure out things like the Capallens and Kuritans are THIS FRIGGING CLOSE from wiping out the Fed Suns as a faction or how the hell The Wolves managed to move their faction from the CWOZ to the middle of former FWL/LC territory and hold it for themselves!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

IMG_3850_zpsxmtsok4n.jpg

I think your 1/72 Wolverine's a bit overscaled at 55tons, but the 1/72 Dougram is almost in-scale as a 55ton ShadowHawk with the HM-R Crusader.

fJQoMaul.jpg

Don't have the Roundfacer for a Griffin, yet, but it should be ok as well. Hopefully we get a Bigfoot soon for a Battlemaster.

Got the 1/60 Tommy as a stand-in until Bandai releases the HM-R version, and the MadCat is well, just damn awesome...

:bump:

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My understanding was that the Reseen designs used in Mechwarrior Online is maybe for this Kickstarter game had various adjustments made from the originals to prevent things like this to happening again.  Also, looking at the legal megapost azrael made, I did not know that the last time HG had a copyright lawsuit, the one of the Transformer Comic Con exclusive, it was dismissed with prejudice.   Maybe it was because Hasbro also took the same precautions?

13 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

My understanding was that the Reseen designs used in Mechwarrior Online is maybe for this Kickstarter game had various adjustments made from the originals to prevent things like this to happening again.  Also, looking at the legal megapost azrael made, I did not know that the last time HG had a copyright lawsuit, the one of the Transformer Comic Con exclusive, it was dismissed with prejudice.   Maybe it was because Hasbro also took the same precautions?

Doesn't the "with prejudice" part just mean that Harmony Gold can't sue Hasbro over the same toy again? It was dismissed since both parties agreed to dismiss it (implying they had come to an agreement out of court), not that the lawsuit was unfounded. And that lawsuit was also likely sparked due to a picture of an actual VF-1 used to show the toy's heritage and not as much due to any likeness of the toy itself, so it's not that comparable. 

19 hours ago, Lorindor said:

Doesn't the "with prejudice" part just mean that Harmony Gold can't sue Hasbro over the same toy again?

Yes, that's all it means.

19 hours ago, Lorindor said:

And that lawsuit was also likely sparked due to a picture of an actual VF-1 used to show the toy's heritage and not as much due to any likeness of the toy itself, so it's not that comparable. 

The SDCC toy actually comes with Jetfire's vintage 1985 bio card, which features artwork of him in his Super VF-1S form. But that artwork wasn't what the lawsuit was about. According to Harmony Gold's court filing, they objected to "...a toy in a box labeled, 'G.I. Joe and the Transformers... The Epic Conclusion.'"

hasbro-2.jpg  hasbro-7.jpg

I honestly suspect that toy was Hasbro testing the waters, using a limited-run toy to see how close they could get to the VF-1 before Harmony Gold took offense.

Alternatively, they figured that for a limited-run convention exclusive, it didn't matter if they took offense because the entire batch would be sold before the lawyercannon was loaded.

On 2017-07-28 at 10:25 AM, Einherjar said:

From Renato, the actual court document.  It's still about likeness. just not as obvious as the Mechwarrior 5 trailer fiasco.

They compared the likeness of the Atlas to an Armored Valk and (I think that's a) Centurion to the Spartan, Firefly to a Glaug?  Boy they're throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks...

Which reminds me I should play the beta and see how it goes. :D