New Fanart: New Recruit

TheElf

I agree with with Roy, but I like the subject matter, day in the life type of idea... :)

ok, what do you agree with exactly? I've fixed the proportion issue. Roy was right about that, and I thank him for being so...matter of fact. But what else needs work in your opinion?

ok, what do you agree with exactly? I've fixed the proportion issue. Roy was right about that, and I thank him for being so...matter of fact. But what else needs work in your opinion?

I'm not sure it its her hair, but her face seems a bit long to me...

• 2 weeks later...

I think the shading on her right arm needs to be done up a bit to reinforce that it is only shortened due to perspective. When you look at it quickly, it looks like she has a midget arm.

hmm, I'll take a look at that, but even a foreshortened object in intense light doesn't require shadow. Maybe I can come up with something. Thanks for the feedback!

Agreed, but sometimes we have to play with the light and shading to force the viewer to see something normally. :)

I think also the fact that her arm is almost straight up and down can also lead the viewer to first assume that she is using it to prop herself up, which leads to the midget-arm assumption (this is what I first saw and I thought to myself "TheELF wouldn't make a mistake like that," so I focused more to see what was going on).

Agreed, but sometimes we have to play with the light and shading to force the viewer to see something normally. :)

I think also the fact that her arm is almost straight up and down can also lead the viewer to first assume that she is using it to prop herself up, which leads to the midget-arm assumption (this is what I first saw and I thought to myself "TheELF wouldn't make a mistake like that," so I focused more to see what was going on).

I'll admit that the Foreshortening of her arm did give me trouble. I didn't use any reference for her pose! Which is rare for me. On the one hand we are looking down on it and she is pointing, generally toward us. This would mean the arm SHOULD start thicker at her fingertip and narrow as you move toward the shoulder. I tried that and it looked weird. I settled on what we have now as I didn't want to make her look overly muscular. So I sort of compromised. I am open to suggestions, what do you think?

BTW cool website in your sig. Is all that work yours?

Well, I think that with your desire to put her in a saucy pose, you've kind of (haha) painted yourself into a corner. I guess if we had the power and time to go back and make changes, I would angle her arm a little to the left (it does kind of look like they are both pointing at something only a few inches from their fingers (ie- mid-air). I mean, it's not so terrible that you need to worry too much about it. Just keep it in mind for your next great drawing.

Yes. It is all me.

I think the pose does look like her torso is a bit long, but I what caught my eyes is well.. her eyes seem to be looking straight out at you, instead of what Max is pointing at.

The pose isn't too bad, but she doesn't look like she's looking where she's pointing.

I think the pose does look like her torso is a bit long, but I what caught my eyes is well.. her eyes seem to be looking straight out at you, instead of what Max is pointing at.

I may be wrong, but I think that was intentional. I get the feeling that this is like photograph and the photographer says something like, "Hey! Millia!" and then snaps the shot right as she looks up.

I may be wrong, but I think that was intentional. I get the feeling that this is like photograph and the photographer says something like, "Hey! Millia!" and then snaps the shot right as she looks up.

The pose isn't too bad, but she doesn't look like she's looking where she's pointing.

Yes the pose is an awkward one, as it is from a difficult perspective. I've already shortened her once on Focker's suggestion. But I am happy with her proportions now. As far as her "look" the image that you get here is lower resolution, so it is harder to tell than if you look at it in the full image I see in PS. She is more apparently looking down in the original, though I admit I could make it more obvious. If you had any idea how hard it was to draw a face you might sympathize with my desire not to F with it ; ) .

And I never intended for she and Max to be pointing at the same thing as someone suggested. In fact the idea is that he is trying to explain one thing and she notices something completely different and is amazed by the complexity of the Valkyrie's Software. Meanwhile Max iss trying to show her the tweak he put into his own ship's Macros (yes, I meant Macros not Macross)