Macross Δ (Delta) Mecha/Technology Thread - READ 1st POST

azrael

Welcome to the Macross Delta Mecha/Technology Thread

Guildlines

• Please limit your discussion of mecha and technology to this thread. This thread is not for discussing individual episodes or the story. Do not cross post.
  • Please limit your discussion to mecha and technology seen in Macross Delta.
  • Do not post any links to episodes or full soundtracks anywhere in the forum.
  • This thread contains spoilers about mecha. Don't say we didn't warn you.

post-9033-0-07664200-1451602817_thumb.jpg

post-9033-0-09728700-1451602850_thumb.jpg

Previously we've seen only passenger transports now we see what a cargo transport looks like.

post-9033-0-67032300-1451602987_thumb.jpg

If the Destroid Work is a jack of all trades civilian mech this one is more specific. A glorified forklift.

post-9033-0-13769400-1451603107_thumb.jpg

Regult Fangasms from the episode.

post-9033-0-62856100-1451603167_thumb.jpg

Looks like the Cheyenne MK II without missile rack.

post-9033-0-79510000-1451603221_thumb.jpg

Okay this Regult is overcompensating. Note they only have one anti-personnel gun instead of two.

post-9033-0-89228400-1451603321_thumb.jpg

Who in their right minds would Frankenmech Regults and Queadluuns?!

post-9033-0-58039800-1451605046_thumb.jpg

Glaug is now dual cannons.

post-9033-0-52024300-1451605100_thumb.jpg

Queadluun-Rau

post-9033-0-72105800-1451603481_thumb.jpg

post-9033-0-56609100-1451603516_thumb.jpg

post-9033-0-94801500-1451603561_thumb.jpg

post-9033-0-58609600-1451603539_thumb.jpg

Aerial Knights are Cheaters.

post-9033-0-52100700-1451604390_thumb.jpg

Each VF-31 Sigfried of Delta Squadron has a unique head unit.

post-9033-0-15843400-1451603718_thumb.jpg

post-9033-0-85799900-1451604578_thumb.jpg

post-9033-0-26347600-1451604596_thumb.jpg

VF-31 backpack options.

post-9033-0-23305700-1451603793_thumb.jpg

post-9033-0-44436500-1451603832_thumb.jpg

A classic Thurvan-Salan battleship.

post-9033-0-26317500-1451603881_thumb.jpg

NUNS fleet

post-9033-0-28402000-1451604362_thumb.jpg

Island class. No Environment Ship attachments like Frontier.

post-9033-0-03768400-1451603411_thumb.jpg

post-9033-0-58008200-1451604911_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedWolf

So at one point, I gather that the boomerang drones ran out of power.

It looked like one of the 31's had a container pod that could recharge their power quickly and bring them back into battle.

Yeah. Wireless power! Tesla's dream still lives!

Yeah. Wireless power! Tesla's dream still lives!

That's what I assumed as well. Or maybe they're more fragile than they look and lose communication with the host VF-31 easily, and so the gun to re-establish communication? (I still think the battery idea is more apt, but still.)

Those Cheyennes are so good. I've loved them from the moment they first appeared in Zero. Have there been any models/toys produced of them in the ten years since?

So on the vf-31......
Mirage's valk has the gun, recharger combo pod..

chuck has the radar (foldable?) pod..

arad's and messer's pod hasnt been revealed yet...

hayate's valk hasnt been revealed yet either...

might have missed some reveals as it was on NYE...

messer deployed the boomarangs but those were from his leg, so i take it all valks will have that capability since the walkure need boomarangs...

post-15116-0-77584200-1451635112_thumb.jpg

am not sure how i feel if they would take the 31's into more synchronised dance mode but hey its still early in the watch so keep an open mind..

messer deployed the boomarangs but those were from his leg, so i take it all valks will have that capability since the walkure need boomarangs...

attachicon.gifmesser_31.jpg

I'm assuming the fin funnel storage bay is where a missile palette would go on a normal combat mission fighter.

Or possibly everyone has forcefield drones for defense, and Walkure just makes unconventional use of them. Either way makes sense.

Wondering how those small drones able to fly, electromagnetic? or something to do with fold tech.

Wish they show you how big that cargo ship is, like flying above your head or something.

Edited by valkyriechild

Wondering how those small drones able to fly, electromagnetic? or something to do with fold tech.

Wish they show you how big that cargo ship is, like flying above your head or something.

I am wondering who is controlling the boomerangs, the valks or the walkure.

From the episode it seems to be the walkure, but kinda useless not to mention to take up precious armament space without any walkure if so.

Are they expecting to bring the walkure everywhere, everytime?

im very keen to see how the pod works on the toy itself!

as long as its not a parts-former :p

I am wondering who is controlling the boomerangs, the valks or the walkure.

From the episode it seems to be the walkure, but kinda useless not to mention to take up precious armament space without any walkure if so.

Perhaps both? Got a feeling those drones could also be use as reusable projectile weapon in the future, since it survived so many shots. Who knows, maybe they won't need micro missile anymore? :D

Sorry, just a random thought.

Keep in mind that Delta Squadron operates with Walkure. As such, it is their current mission (in Ep 1 at least) to combat Var outbreaks. They are specifically on Al-Shahal because of the high probability of a Var outbreak.

So it makes sense that they are equipped to support Walkure, since they are the first line of defense and are are the only method of 'curing' Var outbreaks.

Ep.1 is the first time they encounter tye Aerial Knights and it's not an enemy or an encounter they were expecting. This is why Mirage got shot up so quick.

Naturally, Walkure support drones will be of less use against a normal enemy so I suspect Delta Squadron load outs could change from here on out depending on the engagement.

That last bit is, at this point, speculation however.

That's what I assumed as well. Or maybe they're more fragile than they look and lose communication with the host VF-31 easily, and so the gun to re-establish communication? (I still think the battery idea is more apt, but still.)

What he said - they ran out of power (more like used it up in the barrier shield [i'm still unclear if it is a 'normal' barrier, like a PPB, or a Fold Barrier]), and were given power by the VF-31 (left side doohickey, the thing on the right looks like a big gun to me).

Miniturized anti-grav tech I imagine. Way back in Macross 7 they had flying mics. Between anti-grav, barriers and holography these things have a low battery life.

In the "backpack options" photos, does that look like the hand-held gunpod stowage? Or is it a hard-mounted cannon? Based on how the pod folds up, the cannon would be ventrally mounted like typical gunpods on most other models (same place as the YF-30 stowage).

The VF-31 transformation scheme (arms outboard of the legs in F mode) lends itself to nice takeoffs from B mode, almost like it just straightens out upward. One of them does this when they first take off to meet the Drakens.

what the hell did I just watch?

I'd block out everything but the glaug and draken scenes if I could lol.

Hehehe why wouldn't they, right? If I were a delta squadron pilot...

as long as its not a parts-former :p

Deal breaker on the 1/60 for me, too

What he said - they ran out of power (more like used it up in the barrier shield [i'm still unclear if it is a 'normal' barrier, like a PPB, or a Fold Barrier]), and were given power by the VF-31 (left side doohickey, the thing on the right looks like a big gun to me).

Agree with this; the pod also resembles a modernized strike pack imo.

On the draken

1. Forewarned by the podcast, didn't expect to see it transform but still... In a combat situation, I find it very unlikely that not even a single draken transformed. Harrrumph

2. Again thanks to the podcast for the info up front, I immediately got that those were ghosts, mounted on the wing tips. I hope they sell them together in 1/60

On the glaug

1. MOOOAARRR!!! Please desu

I loved the work destroid.

Is it really a "destroid"? What does it destroy? I think it's time for a name revamp, "constructicon" anyone?

I've really been thinking about that leg/foot design for months now.

It seems to me the best way of rapid movement for large bots.

We, humans, walk because that's how we are designed built, but walking isn't as fast as fast turning wheels. Legs are still useful for climbing however, so that makes sense.

Also loved the drakens. Can't wait to see more of them.

Edited by Mazinger

VF31 boosters

here you can notice that the radar can probably fold inside the space between the 2 legs. You can also notice some fast packs attached to the wings.
this bird looks awsome this way. This hollow part in fighter mode reminds me a bit of the VF-2 design and I like it !

VF31 Tie Fighter

This VF31 looks like a tie-fighter !
Have you noticed that both the 31s and the Drakens have their wing tips changing orientation a lot ?
Edited by herlock99

Is it really a "destroid"? What does it destroy? I think it's time for a name revamp, "constructicon" anyone?

Yes. That's the official setting name for manned robots that don't transform in Macross (and some Variable Vehicles that have a GERWALK form that resembles one of them).

In this case, the vehicle is based off of a combat Destroid (the Cheyenne II, or a local variant of it).

here you can notice that the radar can probably fold inside the space between the 2 legs. You can also notice some fast packs attached to the wings.
this bird looks awsome this way. This hollow part in fighter mode reminds me a bit of the VF-2 design and I like it !

The Super Packs appear to continue from the VF-25 lineage (as in minimizing the pilot's visual obstruction to the top and rear of the aircraft).

Didn't notice the gap between the engine nacelles there - nice find! That the RADOME definitely appears to be able to be stowed away in the backpack/overhead container space (in the YF-30). Glad to see some creative uses for that thing (beyond the honkin' huge missile launcher arrangement in the YF-30).

One did, briefly.

Ooooh, I missed that bit! Will rewatch later! Thanks!

was that only "half-gerwalk" mode where the arms aren't deployed? Or did I miss it? It was a little easier to watch the 2nd time...

I've really been thinking about that leg/foot design for months now.

It seems to me the best way of rapid movement for large bots.

We, humans, walk because that's how we are designed built, but walking isn't as fast as fast turning wheels. Legs are still useful for climbing however, so that makes sense.

Also loved the drakens. Can't wait to see more of them.

The destroids are more commonly destroyees rather than destroyers lol...

That sequence with hayate prancing around reminded me of the animation in rideback (the character was a ballerina).

MOAR drakens! That is all

Edited by McFly!!

Ooooh, I missed that bit! Will rewatch later! Thanks!

The destroids are more commonly destroyees rather than destroyers lol...

That sequence with hayate prancing around reminded me of the animation in rideback (the character was a ballerina).

MOAR drakens! That is all

They are called destroids because they get...ummm....destroyed...

post-15116-0-70827300-1451720736.gif

They are called destroids because they get...ummm....destroyed...

Meanwhile, in my fertile imagination...

Animator 1: which mechs are supposed to get destroyed (big space battle scene cel)?

Animator 2: this guy gets a stomach shot and implodes, that guy turns right into a gunpod blast, and all of these unlucky sobs in the bleachers get mowed down by a laser volley from 5 cruisers.

Animator 1: what do we call those mechs again?

Hey, weirder stuff has gone down before... XD