1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

I think it's still way early days - this CAD image is clearly JUST blocking out the proportions and clearances and what not. Those feet are definitely not stable or load-bearing and the wings are nothing more than place holder rough approximations.

Edited by Kurisama

Why can't the nosecone simply split and "slide over itself" to shorten in battroid mode? Kind of like how the Yamato YF-21 forward fuselage does. With the way the VF-4 transforms, the joint etc would be almost invisible in battroid mode, since only the tip of the nosecone is really visible.

Either way, the nosecone as a whole does need to be angled up, and the very tip could be more angular/flat on the underside. As it is it almost reminds me of Jetfire's nosecone now. Too rounded at the very tip.

I think it's still way early days - this CAD image is clearly JUST blocking out the proportions and clearances and what not. Those feet are definitely not stable or load-bearing and the wings are nothing more than place holder rough approximations.

That's most likely the case. I'm almost positive that once a sculpt comes in, they'll make necessary adjustments. As for a base model, it looks very good. Very promising indeed.

I like how everyone is going crazy over a CAD design like it even matters, and their moaning is actually gonna change anything. Common guys, I know it's MW, but we all really need to chill down and stop judging every little angle on the CAD DESIGN (a rough one at that) lol :lol:

I as for one, actually like where they are going with it...

Looks like a good start, but yes, I expect they'll be adding a ton of detail over time. That looks like a very basic computer model just laid out to get proportions. The wings are all slabs with flat edges, so I can imagine those will change a lot (I hope.. the tails are the wrong shape entirely so far).

I agree about the proportions though, the nose doesn't look long enough, or rather the neck.. the overall size looks pretty good, but the canards look too far back, and much too small.

As for the feet.. I think I can see a bit of why they wouldn't want to use the original design, but copying the VF-1's feet won't look good. I think if you figured out a good way to make a dual panel foot that extended, and then bent twice, it would work, but it might not be very sturdy.

I'll have to see if I can get the model I have to make a gif. It doesn't look terrible, but having flat toe/heel panels sticking out from a longer piece looks a bit odd.

Why can't the nosecone simply split and "slide over itself" to shorten in battroid mode? Kind of like how the Yamato YF-21 forward fuselage does. With the way the VF-4 transforms, the joint etc would be almost invisible in battroid mode, since only the tip of the nosecone is really visible.

This would be perfect. I thought it was simply genius how they did it for the 21.

This would be perfect. I thought it was simply genius how they did it for the 21.

That's about the only nice thing on that yammie... got a 22s the other day - have to say least fave valkyrie I own.

But anyways, Photoshop to the rescue!!! (Just to illustrate my opinion)

post-1623-0-98190800-1327460416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kurisama

I understand people are going to point out the flaws of the design, but at this stage, it's like telling a baker to put the eggs in when all he's done so far is get out the flour. I do like the angled up nose better, but as this is only a CAD design to date, they probably already have some of the initial corrections written down. I'm sure theirs already been changes to what we are seeing now, meaning, put the panic button in the fridge for awhile.

As for the feet, I prefer the original looking block feet. It looks more aesthetically similar to the overall design.

That's about the only nice thing on that yammie... got a 22s the other day - have to say least fave valkyrie I own.

But anyways, Photoshop to the rescue!!! (Just to illustrate my opinion)

post-1623-0-98190800-1327460416_thumb.jpg

I like the first shoes the best.

To everyone saying "This is just a CAD." How different from the CAD is the final version of the 17? I'm not sure much changed on that. Just a warning to not get your hopes up, things could very well already be set in stone.

The CAD of the '17 was far more detailed than this one of the '4, to quote from the VF-17 thread:

A better looking picture of the poster:

post-12283-0-26144000-1305299686_thumb.jpg

To everyone saying "This is just a CAD." How different from the CAD is the final version of the 17? I'm not sure much changed on that. Just a warning to not get your hopes up, things could very well already be set in stone.

well, the toy has feet... so right there, that's kind of a big difference. :p

Look at the shape of the wings, that's a very rough cad model. They aren't even airfoil shaped yet.

I'm not worried about the shape of the wings/tails/etc much because honestly, for this design they play absolutely no part in the transformation. They barely even move, so there's really no reason they shouldn't make them detailed later on.

What does concern me a bit is the overall shape, which is a bit off in the nose, and such. They'll be using this model to plan how the transformation mechanism works, so key parts for the transformation like the nose and feet should be fixed at this stage.

Look at the shape of the wings, that's a very rough cad model. They aren't even airfoil shaped yet.

I'm not worried about the shape of the wings/tails/etc much because honestly, for this design they play absolutely no part in the transformation. They barely even move, so there's really no reason they shouldn't make them detailed later on.

What does concern me a bit is the overall shape, which is a bit off in the nose, and such. They'll be using this model to plan how the transformation mechanism works, so key parts for the transformation like the nose and feet should be fixed at this stage.

That's precisely my point. I wouldn't be so sure they're going to chagne things like the shape of the nose. Adding/tweaking the wing shape won't affect anything. Changing the nose might. What's interesting is I remmeber some people joking about the nose cuving out in Battroid and looking like a boner. If they change the nose to curve out now... it will look like a boner.

It looks fine to me, just a slight curve...

We had worst cases :D Check Revoltech Z.O.E. :)

vf4gwaist02.png

If anyone looks at that picture and sees boners, I'd say you have issues, just saying. :lol:

Who cares if it looks like a boner? I think we can all agree that fighter is the most important mode for this. Also the ZOE designs are badass, boners and all :p

Totally agree about fighter mode, especially considering that was all we ever saw for the longest time.

-Kyp

Battroid Mode feet are very small just like the YF-21 ones, I hope Yamato create a good model as the last VF-19 because it has to look good in all three modes. Recall that Bandai is taking advantage with renewed versions of their Valks and Yamato can not lag behind.

Battroid Mode feet are very small just like the YF-21 ones, I hope Yamato create a good model as the last VF-19 because it has to look good in all three modes. Recall that Bandai is taking advantage with renewed versions of their Valks and Yamato can not lag behind.

True, but you really are comparing apples to oranges.

Yamato is on the designing forefront of completely distinct and never before scene mecha coming to life.

Looks great, kinda reminds me of the sidescrolling arcade shooters being that its not as long in the neck.

I think either way is fine, but it would look more refined to me if the neck section was longer by just a smidge

Really looking forward to this !