Bandai to release Star Wars Model kits

Guest davidwhangchoi

The Force is strong with this.

imagine if it's like frontier valk pre-orders where only 20 are available to 200 customers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I keep saying this and since Fine Molds obviously never heard, BANDAI PLEASE MAKE A SUPER STAR DESTROYER EXECUTOR PLEEAAASEEEE!!!!

I am so buying that 1/1700 SD if it is anything like the light up Star Trek Enterprises that Bandai makes.

But 1/1700 is like over 90cm long.... Hope they got the numbers wrong. Something that big sounds more like a one-off display rather than a mass market kit.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

See, the thing that set Fine Molds apart in my mind? That Millenium Falcon kit wasn't quite designed based on the filming miniatures. It was based on all the hundreds of kitbashed bits that were stolen from other kits, and glued all over the base hull. They went and sourced the original parts from the original kits, and reproduced scaled versions of them to put on the model. It doesn't get more accurate than that.

Whether Bandai will go to those lengths? I don't know. I still don't think I've seen anyone put a ton of detail into the Saturn V segments on the X-wing. :lol:

Of course Bandai won't go to the same extremes. But that doesn't mean the Bandai kits won't look good. Especially if you're just putting a snap-fit $17 kit together and doing basic panel lining and washes. A Bandai kit will always look good. A Fine Molds kit can look amazing, but the final result does depend on the skill of the builder. They're also a touch more expensive.

I think I'll personally be more interested to see what they do with the 1/48 scale ships. At 1/72, you lose a lot of definition in some of the finer details on the x-wing (gun vents and engine exhausts in particular).

Plus, I still want a decent 1/32 x-wing. :p A y-wing or b-wing that big might get a little cumbersome, but 1/32 is just about an ideal size for an a-wing or snowspeeder, since those are so small to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want them to do the fighters in 1:48. They are just so much better in that scale IMHO. Not to mention my Fine Molds Tie Fighter and X-Wing are already built in 1:48. As far as the Falcon goes...one has to wonder if they are just gonna wait and drop the new one from Ep 7 on us around xmas for the movie release. I don't know if I would do it, since I already have the FM 1:72, but for those that don't it would be cool.

I still recall the Bandai Star Trek kits. Very disappointing. Amazing how poorly they fit together, considering Bandai's expertise at snap-together plastic kits! And poorly lit, despite Bandai having litght-up MG/PG kits for years.

Yeah, but the tampo printing on those ships were phenomenal - how they were able to get legible lettering that small and around all the complex surfaces and subtle aztec paneling was a work of art. We can't even get an intake marking from Arcadia!

Curious about that too. Particularly the mandible issue.

Chris

How pronounced is the inward tilt? I heard it was a mistake on one of the models but depending on the size, its perfectly parallel on another sized filming miniature.

Now, I'm waiting for that Star Destroyer! (preferably with lighting components).

How pronounced is the inward tilt? I heard it was a mistake on one of the models but depending on the size, its perfectly parallel on another sized filming miniature.

Now, I'm waiting for that Star Destroyer! (preferably with lighting components).

Many of the issues attributed to various Millennium Falcon models comes from people picking a favorite screen-use model, or their favorite aspects from each of the several screen-use models. Star Wars and Empire each had their own full size exterior and interior sets, plus a 5-foot model, a 3-foot model, and several more. And each was built differently, with minor differences in shapes and greebles. I'm not super picky about those kinds of things, because it's the overall depiction that matters. As long as the proportions and details are better than the Revell kit and Kenner/Hasbro toy releases, and the major greebles are intact (I'm looking at you, first-generation Mazda RX7 transmission/shield emitter detail) I'd totally buy a Bandai Falcon, regardless of petty things like mandible angle and cooling vent grille count.

Guest davidwhangchoi

wake me when we get a Y-wing. :)

yeah i want a y wing too!

i just got back from looking at the star wars bandai kits, Gundam Planet has them in stock. the boxes look like real grade kits with the all black cardboard cover and underneath. and priced about the same. (about 32) man i'm definitely going to save and get a few.

Guest davidwhangchoi

You mean 32 as in price, or how many of them there were? Because that seems terribly high for a ship the size of a P-51 Mustang.

it's about 32usd in price. i looked on hlj, they're 1920 yen + shipping. SAL 880yen EMS 1450yen to NJ so it's about right minus 1-2 bucks. (unless you buy mulitples and combine shipping)

it's about the same price with no waiting verses ordering overseas and waiting for shipping.

they carry all the RG for about 29 usd each, i'd prob order RG's on amazon as they sometimes go as low as 25 shipped. but it's pretty competitive for a local store that sells imports.

Yeah, but the tampo printing on those ships were phenomenal - how they were able to get legible lettering that small and around all the complex surfaces and subtle aztec paneling was a work of art. We can't even get an intake marking from Arcadia!

Honestly, I have no idea. Never even knew it did it until a bunch of hooplah was made about it, at another site, when the FM kit came out. My comment was really meant to be more "tounge and cheek"

As for a good reasonably priced Star Destroyer.....YES! A thousand times YES!!

Chris