DYRL Bluray Release Confirmed

SCOOPUDA!

So I have just returned to Macrossworld after.. YEARS...

I'd like to get the LE version.. but its too much $$.. I can live without all the paper stuff... and it looks like Flashback is gonna be upscaled/crappy looking..

Is AmiAmi a legit place to order? They have a decent price on the regular version.

I've never dealt with them or CD Japan.

I'd like to get the LE version.. but its too much $$.. I can live without all the paper stuff... and it looks like Flashback is gonna be upscaled/crappy looking..

Is AmiAmi a legit place to order? They have a decent price on the regular version.

It's not just "paper stuff". Recheck the differences between the two.

Plus we don't know what FB 2012 is gonna look like. The intro & ending may end up looking awesome, with the inbetween bits looking like crap.

yeah. it has more.

like even more "paper"/card/cardboard/media crap with foreign characters/letterings you won't be able to read and understand by yourself unless you're really that proficient in nippongo and stuff, or you like pretending that you do! :lol:

however, it's all good, lavinrac-dude. the uberbox will most likely have a pretty box than the regular version.

and it's DYRL, mang! you just gotta have the DYRL-uberbox if you are a Macross-fan! unless you're really not, then... :(

anyway, for those of us who preordered the "special request" thingy and tried to cancel to get the not-special-request cdjapan-item, bad news:

Hi,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am sorry to say this but once you place order for special request item, we cannot cancel it in this status.

We really understand you, and we know that the item become more stock after you place order at CDJapan, but we cannot cancel special request order.

We apologize you for the inconvenience.

Should you require any assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Yukari

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

yeah. bummer.

oh, well...

I think I may go ahead and splurge for the Big Box if I can change my order at CD Japan.. I'm not sure what the availability of the full package is there. its a bit confusing on their site.

The last time I bought DYRL was like.. I dunno.. 1998? On DVD.. For $100 for the Legit Japanese original. (Paid my dues!) I popped that in the player the other day and it looks Horrible. Then I got a subbed version (no guilt since i paid for the legit one).. also looks horrible.

And now.. May as well get the new one. I'd really like to see all the new animation from the games. I bought a few of the PS1 and PS2 games over the years but PS3 and other platforms I have not. Documentaries.. not so much since i can't understand them.

It's very confusing to figure out what is in one package vs. the other. I wish there was a Disc by Disc comparison. Anyhow.. $200 vs $100.. one time in 10 years.. not that big a deal.. IF i can GET the full package.

anyway, for those of us who preordered the "special request" thingy and tried to cancel to get the not-special-request cdjapan-item, bad news:

yeah. bummer.

oh, well...

Think of it this way, you're already shelling out that much for the actual product anyway, what's a few dollars more. As a bonus you get it relatively fast and you can track it all the way to your door.

As for the points, do you really get that many things from CD Japan to make a good use of them? Unlike before the points from them these days actually expires in a years time. Gone are the days when I built up so much points over time that I actually could have bought a DVD from them with nothing but the points. Good times.

Think of it this way, you're already shelling out that much for the actual product anyway, what's a few dollars more. As a bonus you get it relatively fast and you can track it all the way to your door.

As for the points, do you really get that many things from CD Japan to make a good use of them? Unlike before the points from them these days actually expires in a years time. Gone are the days when I built up so much points over time that I actually could have bought a DVD from them with nothing but the points. Good times.

never really cared about the points since I order far too sporadically nowadays to make use 'em, and never really needed the speedy delivery since SAL's been reliable from them.

i don't mind paying good money on DYRL itself.

Just didn't want the unnecessary extra cost of EMS added onto it.

Damn BV for underestimating and putting rather very low preorder-quotas on shops like CDJ that can ship out overseas.

:shrugs:

Edited by treatment

I think I may go ahead and splurge for the Big Box if I can change my order at CD Japan.. I'm not sure what the availability of the full package is there. its a bit confusing on their site.

The last time I bought DYRL was like.. I dunno.. 1998? On DVD.. For $100 for the Legit Japanese original. (Paid my dues!) I popped that in the player the other day and it looks Horrible. Then I got a subbed version (no guilt since i paid for the legit one).. also looks horrible.

And now.. May as well get the new one. I'd really like to see all the new animation from the games. I bought a few of the PS1 and PS2 games over the years but PS3 and other platforms I have not. Documentaries.. not so much since i can't understand them.

It's very confusing to figure out what is in one package vs. the other. I wish there was a Disc by Disc comparison. Anyhow.. $200 vs $100.. one time in 10 years.. not that big a deal.. IF i can GET the full package.

It's not so confusing. The regular version has just the movie & game on one disc. The LE version has that plus everything else.

It's not so confusing. The regular version has just the movie & game on one disc. The LE version has that plus everything else.

I went and did it. Ordered the full on set instead of the LE. Why not. Guess I will have the best of DYRL until the next one comes out ;)

And once again when a subtitled version comes out from China I wont feel like a thief if i pick it up. :)

I went and did it. Ordered the full on set instead of the LE. Why not. Guess I will have the best of DYRL until the next one comes out ;)

And once again when a subtitled version comes out from China I wont feel like a thief if i pick it up. :)

you don't need to get any "subbed" version of dyrl coming out of China.

post-263-0-91035000-1334807813_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

you don't need to get any "subbed" version of dyrl coming out of China.

I hope you are right.

Where did you get that screenshot? I just re-looked at all 8 pages of this thread and found nothing about the bluray having subtitles in english.

I hope you are right.

Where did you get that screenshot? I just re-looked at all 8 pages of this thread and found nothing about the bluray having subtitles in english.

the screenshot was from a fansub of dyrl-dvd.

think there's also an old howto here in MW before on how to add correct english-subs/script on your copy.

that said, the official BD of DYRL will not contain any english-subs. at least, it's not listed in the available specs.

bottom line is, you got way more options now than to solely rely on purchasing bootlegs.

the screenshot was from a fansub of dyrl-dvd.

think there's also an old howto here in MW before on how to add correct english-subs/script on your copy.

that said, the official BD of DYRL will not contain any english-subs. at least, it's not listed in the available specs.

bottom line is, you got way more options now than to solely rely on purchasing bootlegs.

You know... DYRL is like MP and SDFM to me. I'v seen it so many times, I no longer need subtitles to know whats going on. But still....English subs would be nice, but I 'am not going to die with out them.

I am really spoiled by the 70" television.. (dont buy one it will wreck your older shows!!) The old DYRL dvd looks.. well... gruesome.I want DYRL to look like Gundam UC.. beautiful and perfect...

I tried watching ADV and Animeigo SDFMacross ... yuck.. Like they say on twitter.. 'First World Problems'

I am really spoiled by the 70" television.. (dont buy one it will wreck your older shows!!) The old DYRL dvd looks.. well... gruesome.I want DYRL to look like Gundam UC.. beautiful and perfect...

I tried watching ADV and Animeigo SDFMacross ... yuck.. Like they say on twitter.. 'First World Problems'

Not really sure what you're talking about regarding DYRL looking gruesome on 70"+ tv's.

Either your tv, or your dvd-player or you dvd-copy (original and/or hd-remastered version) just ain't up to snuff.

Or maybe you're just more into newer digital productions like Gundam UC.

You just might wanna show a screenshot or two of your tv when playing dyrl to explain what you're talking about.

In contrast, I do expect Macross-TV (both animeigo and adv versions) to look rather unsightly (upscaled or not) on bigger tv-screens due to the fugly outsourced productions and animeigo's fondness for oversaturating the colors.

Edited by treatment

I know exactly what you're talking about. Having everything that large, and with older DVD transfers, you can sometimes see the flaws magnified in the transfer.

Not really sure what you're talking about regarding DYRL looking gruesome on 70"+ tv's.

Either your tv, or your dvd-player or you dvd-copy (original and/or hd-remastered version) just ain't up to snuff.

Or maybe you're just more into newer digital productions like Gundam UC.

You just might wanna show a screenshot or two of your tv when playing dyrl to explain what you're talking about.

In contrast, I do expect Macross-TV (both animeigo and adv versions) to look rather unsightly (upscaled or not) on bigger tv-screens due to the fugly outsourced productions and animeigo's fondness for oversaturating the colors.

Seems like you answered your own question, so he probably doesn't need to go through the hassle of screen shots.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Having everything that large, and with older DVD transfers, you can sometimes see the flaws magnified in the transfer.

Seems like you answered your own question, so he probably doesn't need to go through the hassle of screen shots.

My Japanese DVD is quite old.. I bought it just a couple years after DVD players came out. Come to think of it... I also had to burn a copy myself onto a disc to remove the region coding.. which probably resulted in lost quality as well. Also. its got the black bars as part of the picture.. its the original japanese issuing of the dvd.. but yea.. OLD.. cost me like $98 at the time tho. Love japanese media pricing. :)

Anyhow. Wont matter in July when this nice new set arrives. :)

Sounds like you ripped it badly, the oriignal Japanese DVD was anamorphic, and progressive scan if I recall correctly, it just wasn't cleaned up.

You are probably right. My ripping tools can't have been good at the time i bought it, thinking back. I bet i ripped it to 4.7gb too!

Is anyone concerned that the video quality on the Blu-ray/PS3 combo disc might not end up looking too good? Just wondering if having the PS3 game on the same disc could eat into space that could've been used for video quality...

Is anyone concerned that the video quality on the Blu-ray/PS3 combo disc might not end up looking too good? Just wondering if having the PS3 game on the same disc could eat into space that could've been used for video quality...

Nope. The game is 10GB at most and most anime BDs have a hard time getting past ~35GB for the main ~2hr feature.

Biggest one I know is delicously grainy Nausicaa which is around 39GB for 120min. DYRL is 115min and assuming the video stays similarly unmolested it'll fit just fine.

I am late but can't tell you how overjoyed I am at this news!!!!! Simply incredible!!! Been waiting a freakin' LIFETIME for this announcement! It comes as a perfect time for me since I just upgraded to a 1080p front projector.

Where's a good place to pre-order?

If you're just looking for a standard edition Bluray, I got mine at CD Japan, but other places have been discussed over the past 3 or 4 pages here. Really comes down to price. They vary a bit.

If you're just looking for a standard edition Bluray, I got mine at CD Japan, but other places have been discussed over the past 3 or 4 pages here. Really comes down to price. They vary a bit.

Thanks. I'm still confused and trying to figure out the differences between the two editions. Are there any additional discs, whether CD audio or BD video, that come with Limited Edition, that is omitted from the regular Hybrid Pack edition?

And can we be *assured* that were are no video feature/extras that will omitted from the regular Hybrid Pack that's included in the LE?

Thanks. I'm still confused and trying to figure out the differences between the two editions. Are there any additional discs, whether CD audio or BD video, that come with Limited Edition, that is omitted from the regular Hybrid Pack edition?

And can we be *assured* that were are no video feature/extras that will omitted from the regular Hybrid Pack that's included in the LE?

well, each LE might or might not contain a used panty of each of the bridge bunnies.

if you're really really lucky, you might even get the superubersecretle-doubleprobation combo used-undies pack of Minmay's + Milia's and Misa's...

:p:lol:

The big thing that the LE comes with is a Blu-ray edition of Flashback 2012 (plus a whole lot of printed extras). For me, even if the quality may not be that good (depending on the materials they had access to master it), having a copy of Flashback 2012 that'll play natively in my PS3 is worth it for me. Was dreading having to buy that seperately.

All video feature's/extra's "ARE" omitted from the regular edition. All you'll get with the regular edition is the movie + game. If you want the bonus materials (such as the documentaries), you have to purchase the LE.

All video feature's/extra's "ARE" omitted from the regular edition. All you'll get with the regular edition is the movie + game. If you want the bonus materials (such as the documentaries), you have to purchase the LE.

YIKES!!!! No brainer for me then. Although I probably won't preorder cuz I'm broke right now. :(

OMG that is pretty f%cking awesome, I can't wait to download the DYRL PS1 game, I just hope PS1 Vita support is out by then. The PS3 game looks like it may have even more detail than Last Frontier, but we'll see. As for the PV in general, it's hard to tell just how well the remaster came off, since the youtube upload is interlaced to hell for the movie part. Colors look good, detail looks pretty good, hard to tell how much natural grain is lef though. They also took the cheat route of still not showing us how FB 2012 came out. Is it anamorphic for the intro & ending? Hard to tell since the showed it in a little window, but there were no borders so it makes me wonder...

Regardless, can't wait even more now.