The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

720hp, twin-turbocharged V12 Tramontana R

Its the ugliest car I would ever own. Its like the Tumbler for the track.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/24/reveale...2-tramontana-r/

Woof! If they ever make a Judge Dredd sequel, this thing would make a perfect mount for the main character. Or maybe even the villian.

I suppose if a pure adrenaline rush is what you're after, then there's no school like the old school. With spartan accomodations that will provide a much more visceral experience than most modern supercars will, the Cobra--real or replica--seems like a good choice. It's the route I'd go, if i had that kind of dough.

Shelby_CSX_4889_lg3.jpg

$20K will get a pretty high quality replica. Another $5K or so to put a good stout SBF in it, and you'll end up with a power:weight ratio that's pretty doggone enviable. I recently drove a replica--albeit, a pretty well worn, crappy one--but it was still a hoot.

Well, I'm not getting a Challenger. Nothing wrong with the car, the Dodge dealer which has never caused us problems was being super difficult on this whole deal. Just really wore me out, didn't want to deal with it anymore, so I gave up.

Thinking about either a 350Z (probably a NISMO), a new 370Z or a GT-R. The GT-R is a long shot, but if I have a chance at a dream car I might as well try, right?

Vostok 7

Have you been to the Challenger forums? There's tons of posts/dealers dedicated to "getting people a Challenger without a hassle or paying sticker". It's rare that a car in my family comes from a local dealer.

To be fair, after considering everything, I just don't want a Challenger that badly. They were going to give me a good deal (couple hundred over invoice), the issue was I ordered a car, it came without some of the make or break options I ordered, the dealer admitted it was their fault, but were unwilling to do anything about it (lowering the price, or giving me a good deal on the options I ordered) other than to tell me to order a new car. I can't wait 4-5 more months. And the longer I thought about it, the more I realized that the Challenger just didn't fit what I was looking for. I love the styling, but fact is it is a very heavy car that doesn't like being thrown around very much, and I'm just too used to tiny razor-handling Japanese cars to make such a switch so abruptly (my current "play" car is a modded Evolution IX MR, for comparison's sake). Not to mention the technology is "archaic" compared to some of the similar priced Japanese options, and I'm a technology guy. I love gizmos. So ultimately, doing something else won out.

That's not meant to rag on the Challenger. It's a great car. It's just not competitive with similar priced offerings from Japan, not that it's really meant to be, honestly. It's a totally different animal, being a "modern muscle car".

Besides, I had sponsors who were wanting to work on it, but weren't that excited (they perked up when discussing my Japanese options). And most of my sponsors are Asian based or do Asian-style products, and if you've seen the Challenger forums, you know how that sort of thing goes over with that crowd. :blink:

I'd be worried about rednecks vandalizing my car because I have "jap parts" on it. :lol:

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

With the economy in Nippon and the States down at the moment a super sports isn't what they need at the moment. What I am hoping for is a rebirth of the Silvia a sub 20k RWD 4 cylinder turbo 2 door with manual transmission.

Toyota and Subaru are joint working on a lightweight (<3000lb) RWD sports car that should be out in the next couple years. Nissan was working on a new Silvia to compete but apparently has scrapped the project (I wouldn't say that was the smartest move, but whatever).

Vostok 7

I've read about the toyota/subaru venture, supposedly it's supposed to use an EJ motor so it's like a slice between an svx and a supra which i think is a great idea. I don't recall Nissan scrapping the Silvia project, granted, i haven't heard much news about it, but last i heard they were going to use a variable compression 1.6L direct injected turbocharged motor with over 200hp. It would be a shame if Nissan ceased plans for a new Silvia, or worse, released the car strictly to Japan (again).

I'll believe it when I see it.

I guess it's par for the course in the course of a recession / depression but I hate seeing entry / mid level enthusiast cars getting eliminated or weeded out because they aren't practical enough. It's painful to look at the really neat concept vehicles and know that there is no way they will ever be built and companies like Toyota poo-pooing things like the Supra that has a loyal following but certainly is a niche market car. Those fun cars are what keep people from thinking about cars like stupid appliances, so we aren't all driving around refrigerators on wheels.

Edited by Ghadrack

I've read about the toyota/subaru venture, supposedly it's supposed to use an EJ motor so it's like a slice between an svx and a supra which i think is a great idea. I don't recall Nissan scrapping the Silvia project, granted, i haven't heard much news about it, but last i heard they were going to use a variable compression 1.6L direct injected turbocharged motor with over 200hp. It would be a shame if Nissan ceased plans for a new Silvia, or worse, released the car strictly to Japan (again).

According to Nissan, the new Silvia was scrapped by Carlos Gnosen as part of a cost savings effort. Yet their plans for a rebadged Dodge Ram are still in full effect...

And the new Toyobaru/Subayota venture will be more like a 2.5RS meets an AE86 Corolla.

Vostok 7

Any Formula 1 fans among us?

I'll be heading to Melbourne for my first GP at the end of the month - can't wait!

Looks to be an interesting season ahead, hard to say who has the advantage right now what with all the changes from last season, but it's great to see the cars have slicks again finally. Can't say though that I'm that keen on them implementing KERS, especially when they're trying to cut costs...

I've been following the Suburu/Toyota project and there is nothing concrete out there as of this moment. Just the announcement that they are working together on a new RWD coupe. No pics or anything, just wild speculation.

News was out over a month ago that it has been pushed back indefinitely. Earliest we could see it (according to them) is 2012. It was originally meant to be out by 2010.

I am disappointed. I was hoping to see the EJ25 turbo (better yet, a direct-injection Ej25 with twin scroll) fitted to a RWD in the sub 1300-1400 weight range.

Any Formula 1 fans among us?

...e slicks again finally. Can't say though that I'm that keen on them implementing KERS, especially when they're trying to cut costs...

I watch it when its on if I happen to find it accidentally. I like it I just don't really follow.

I always feel like a little kid looking into the windows of the local strip joint when I enter this thread... :)

Anyways - I'm doing my driving exam... it's a tedious process. 30 hours of riding around with an instructor and then 45 minutes of an actual test with an examiner. I've done 8 hours so far. It's fun. It's nice. Hopefully I won't fail the actual test(s) and have my license by the end of April...

Then it'll be car shopping time.

And then...

I will become an active member of this thread :)

Pete

I still remember the anticipation of getting my license. I spent the entire summer restoring a junker 85 GT Mustang with my dad, we just had the car painted a few weeks before i got my license, it was fantastic. The maiden voyage of the car with my piece of paper license (the actual plastic didn't come for 30 days) was absolutely awesome. Of course i had driven it a bunch of times with my dad pre-license, but a post-license sans-parent cruise is always so much more enjoyable.

News was out over a month ago that it has been pushed back indefinitely. Earliest we could see it (according to them) is 2012. It was originally meant to be out by 2010.

I am disappointed. I was hoping to see the EJ25 turbo (better yet, a direct-injection Ej25 with twin scroll) fitted to a RWD in the sub 1300-1400 weight range.

1300-1400 lbs car is very unlikely. It would have to be no more than the size of a Lotus Elise. Highly unlikely for a Toyota/ Subaru.

I rather Nissan just produce S15s again and sell it over here in the States. Non of that "bringing back" crap. Cars that get "brought back" like the supposed Supra, Silvia, and RX7 have nothing similar to what we know and love other than the name of the car.

1300-1400 lbs car is very unlikely. It would have to be no more than the size of a Lotus Elise. Highly unlikely for a Toyota/ Subaru.

I rather Nissan just produce S15s again and sell it over here in the States. Non of that "bringing back" crap. Cars that get "brought back" like the supposed Supra, Silvia, and RX7 have nothing similar to what we know and love other than the name of the car.

I agree, though it's highly unlikely Nissan will ever bring over the S15, we can all dream can't we. I think out of Toyota, Mazda, Honda and Nissan; Nissan and Mazda are the most likely to be able to "bring back" a car faithfully. Mazda had a rough start with the RX-8 but i think if they were to bring back the RX-7 with a fully backed team (similar to Nissan and the GT-R) then i could see it easily reborn into something better/faster. Nissan could bring back the Silvia, but since they're not using their SR20DET they'd have to develop or upgrade a motor to meet emissions; as far as style, i doubt anything (released by Nissan) is going to be as beautiful as an S15, but performance will more than make up for looks.

That's not to say that Toyota and Honda can't make good cars, but they've both been out of the sports car game for awhile and plans for the new Supra and NSX have been scrapped multiple times.

Dude, the METRIC system!!!

So 1300-1400 kg isn't really light compared to the S12/13/14/15, AE86, SW20 or GC/GDs but given the lard-arse porky pig cars that are all over 1500-1600 nowadays(like the 1500++ STI), its hard to find something below 1.4tons with a decent engine and isn't a Elise or FWD hatch.

And I do like some luxury in my car. Not the 12 way power seats and assist/parktronic/adaptive headlight/blood pressure monitor etc etc but good insulation, good materials, stereo etc etc is necesary in my old age!

seen the TV spots for it.

looks like it's going to continue in the tradition of all the earlier films; i.e. an insult to real road/drag/pretty-much-any-other-legitimate-form-of-racing everywhere...

*best Mr. Stinkmeaner voice* punk a$$, bit*h a$$, fake a$$, chump a$$, gay a$$ BEYATCHES!!! :angry:

sorry, but their playstation-inspired stunts, wooden acting, and jiffy-pop storyline/characters just comes across as a statement of how little regard/respect they have for racing, and racing drivers.

It's a damn shame that it's been almost 40 years, and Hollywood still hasn't been able to surpass LeMans. As flawed as that movie may have been [pretty cheesy acting, the Ferrari 'crash,' the race ending], it can still be argued that--from a racing standpoint--it's still the benchmark by which most anything else can be measured.