HG and Robotech Debates

I can just picture it now, they're jumping in the air to chest slap each other with the song "Do the Homie" in the background (look up Boondocks for it on youtube).

Yeah...if those RT fans are Riley, then yeah, I'm definitely Huey sitting on that couch with the "WTF is this Sh*t"-look on my face....They have been talking about this for the past year and this is what they come up with? Seriously? Really?

So is this going to be a sequel to shadow chronicles or is it just going to be happening at the same time as shadow chronicles?

And how are they going to use the old animation, that stuff has not aged well at all.

Supposedly, it's going to be like the Robotech Invasion comic, where it's before the 21st Mars Division invasion. It supposedly showed Dana, probably leaving, and that was new animation. It's not a direct rip of LLA, just (again) taking footage, and chopping it to something they want.

HG hasn't had an original thought so I blame you for planting the idea.

Hahaha, you can blame me, but I put the word out sometime after I heard it. I don't come up with stupid ideas like that, and I wouldn't think of doing that to LLA. Don't forget, this is supposed to be "Carl's Vision", which really means, Tommy's idea covered under a person who is no longer here, so if he needs to throw someone under the bus, Carl can't defend himself.

Here's the lowdown on the DVDs:

Robotech episodes - still the same as the Remastered versions. Only audio option is 5.1, which, on the last release, was terrible if you had anything other than a 5.1 receiver.

Early Robotech episodes - literally taken from a VHS tape of the original broadcasts, these have different audio. I wasn't able to watch enough to tell the differences.

Carl Macek's Robotech Universe - as said before, decent for DVD extra, nothing for even the most hardcore Robotech fan to get excited about. Richard Epcar's character credit is wrong. Whoops.

Robotech Music Videos - from a Chinese release, basically AMVs. Pretty well done

Robotech: The Movie - a 29 minute version without any Megazone or extra HG footage at the end. This ought to be interesting.

Original 70 minute Macross pilot - haven't seen it yet, want to, though

The Sentinels - color corrected, with new opening graphics like the Remaster episodes. A short epilogue at the end (with text), explaining the Masters sereis, and setting up Shadow Chronicles.

Then, pretty much all of the past DVD extras from Legacy sets. The one thing I can think of that was never there were the two "Robotech Wars" episodes that came on VHS with the toy set. These were specially edited episodes just for that toy set and don't fit into any continuity.

Hahaha, you can blame me, but I put the word out sometime after I heard it. I don't come up with stupid ideas like that, and I wouldn't think of doing that to LLA. Don't forget, this is supposed to be "Carl's Vision", which really means, Tommy's idea covered under a person who is no longer here, so if he needs to throw someone under the bus, Carl can't defend himself.

Those are the facts but just as HG doesn't care about a quality product we aren't interested in reality. :wacko:

I know those people in the commercials had nothing to do with Windows 7 but it nice to see who to blame for crap.

Carl's vision is just another name for histotoxic hypoxia. :D

Spoiler alert

It's been on youtube since 2010 as well as torrents. People will be partly paying for the convenience of a "translated" version in the old school 80's style. Things never change.

So congratulations Robotech fans, your next offering is another The Untold Story. Expect the crew, and the .com moderators, to milk the Carl Macek tribute aspect of the production up to eleven to get people to ignore this fact.

Ok, so its been a while since I've seen it, think well over a year when we broke the news here about LLA before it was even whispered on rt.com...anyways...

Aside from being a great flashback for Mospeada what really could there be for a rowboatech fan? A quick look at Sera with a boob job that caused so much drama when someone took a pic with a camera phone? Scott and Ariel left Earth so they can't be with Yellow after this concert...smh

Did they cut from the final battle in LLA to SC scenes, jeeze how fan filmish is that? One shot I'm sure wont make it is this one taken from when the Regiss leaves..lol

post-2668-0-23577100-1318983838_thumb.png

Edited by Zor Primus

The following is a mini review put up on facebook by Tim (Starblazers.com) Eldred.

Text is reposted here with the authors permission.

Just got back from the screening of "Carl Macek's Robotech Universe" at the Harmony Gold theater in L.A.

First, I gotta give it up to the Harmony Gold screening room. It's a huge, opulent theater with great technical quality and real class. And it was packed full with a crowd that knew what it was there for. Always a good thing.

The film itse...lf was not quite a film. By that I mean it was not made as a film; it's a series of video podcasts chained together. They add up to about an hour of interviews with people who were involved with Robotech in one way or another, mostly voice actors but also a handful of others. They all shared anecdotes about their work, showered Carl Macek with praise, and spoke with pride about what the show accomplished.

There's no doubt Robotech brought an enormous audience to anime at just the right time. It fully deserves the title of groundbreaker and should be remembered that way. Anime would have taken a longer time to catch on without it. No further plaudits are necessary.

But there were further plaudits, and this is where the whole enterprise always goes off the rails for me.

Play a little game for a moment: pick your favorite cartoon made in your home country. Something that pushed all your buttons. Now imagine it gets exported to another country where it is repackaged by someone and does bang-up business. It helps to open the door for more exporting, and the guy who repackaged it gets well-deserved praise for his work.

And, from start to finish, he is referred to as the CREATOR of the show. Wouldn't that bug you a little bit?

As an anime fan and an artist working in the animation industry, it bugs me a LOT. Throughout this documentary, Carl Macek is consistently named the GENIUS VISIONARY CREATOR of Robotech. Not one moment of screen time is spent on the genesis of the original three shows. We get their titles, but never do we find out who developed, wrote, designed, directed, or produced them. If you didn't know better, this documentary would convince you that they had no life before being blessed by Carl.

That's the part of the Robotech phenom that I have never been able to stomach, the flagrant hijacking of credits. It made me squirm in my seat. It's just plain dishonest. And worse, it's unnecessary. What Robotech accomplished on its own is respectable enough. It would take nothing away from it to give Carl the completely accurate title of packager, or even producer. He was only a creator on a purely technical level in that someone had to create the idea of hybridizing three unconnected shows.

This documentary had the chance to put that in the proper context and get it right, but it chose not to. The cloud of dishonesty still hangs over the picnic. Others can enjoy the food, but I cannot take my eyes off that cloud. Oh, and the other thing that really, really bugged me? No mention of any anime that came to the US before Robotech, other than this dismissive phrase: bastardized programming dumbed down for 5 year olds. I have two words in response: Star Blazers.

The film will be a bonus feature on the forthcoming Robotech Complete Series DVD set coming from A&E. Buy it if you feel inclined.

PS: It concluded with a little taste of the next Robotech project, titled "Love Live Alive." It's the Mospeada OAV, which is being dusted off and deconstructed into another editorial plaything. If you want to know about its Japanese origins, you'll have to be content with the term "lost and found." In other words, that cloud isn't budging.

There's no doubt Robotech brought an enormous audience to anime at just the right time. It fully deserves the title of groundbreaker and should be remembered that way. Anime would have taken a longer time to catch on without it. No further plaudits are necessary.

yeah I kind of doubt this

Transformers was kicking this show's ass

and more people remember Voltron and Speed Racer

not to mention how Dragonball Z is the most popular thing ever

but whatever

I knew of ‘Robotech’s anime heritage long before I new of ‘The Transformers’ Japanese roots. Sure 'The Transformers' was infinitely more popular but it has not been associated with anime In the way 'Robotech' has because even after 'Robotech' was sanitized for a western market it still had aspects of anime 'The Transformers' did not.

Edited by rdenham

I'm going to have to agree. Transformers was advertised as a cartoon written by Americans for American children, it wasn't revealed as a Japanese anime until later on. Robotech was advertised as Japanese anime converted for the american masses. At least in Texas where I grew up. The 1st "cartoon" I knew as not a normal series was Robotech. It felt different, read different and had a very alien story line in comparison to the other cartoons on at the time.

No, I'm not saying that with out Robotech anime would not be as big as it is in the US and around the world. Yes, I agree fully that it gave anime a huge steroid shot in he proverbial arm.

Did they cut from the final battle in LLA to SC scenes...

WHAT final battle in LLA...?

There are only a few "new" scenes in the OVA...Yellow riding his bike around. Sorji back home drinking coffee. A concert scene. And interview with Yellow. And the cast sleeping outdoors.

Not the most dramatic stuff.

Too much blatant praise for that man, conveniently whitewashing the fact that they're tottering at the edge.

Meanwhile we look forward to seeing Sayonara no Tsubasa, which will never be in the hands of the "squatters".

Edited by soul.assassin

WHAT final battle in LLA...?

There are only a few "new" scenes in the OVA...Yellow riding his bike around. Sorji back home drinking coffee. A concert scene. And interview with Yellow. And the cast sleeping outdoors.

Not the most dramatic stuff.

Which makes me ask even more, WHY??? Note to the Super RT fringe fanwanks, doing something just because it can, doesn't equate to a good idea, or a smart decision. When the "creative staff's" greatest idea is to mix and match new animation with some that are 25 years old, It's quite easy to criticize.

"It was Caaaaarl's idea"

Makes me think of Tupac and dozens of his posthumous singles.

Ah well, let's look forward to watching the real-deal Macross Frontier movie from the other side of the pond. That's a better idea.

Edited by soul.assassin

Which makes me ask even more, WHY??? Note to the Super RT fringe fanwanks, doing something just because it can, doesn't equate to a good idea, or a smart decision. When the "creative staff's" greatest idea is to mix and match new animation with some that are 25 years old, It's quite easy to criticize.

I recall Zeta Gundam: A New Translation-movies.....That's probably the best recent use of blending old and new animation. Outside of the story redo, the transition between old and new animation was absolutely terrible. You'd see clean, fluid, detailed, new animation then switched to blurry/faded, semi-fluid, simple animation. It was awful at times. If this is the kinda stuff that HG is doing with LLA, you're opening yourself up for a wide array of ridicule.

Regardless of which cartoon was more impactful I think he hit the nail on the head on why the Robotech fandom and "staff?" I don't know what to call them but it's not creators, get such a bad rap. It seems like ever since Carl Macek took the "crown" of the Prometheus of anime to the westerners it's been more about kowtowing to those involved with the franchise than the franchise itself. But his review pretty much sums it up to the simplest terms and it's all about how insulting Robotech is to the people that truly deserve credit.

It's really funny, but I grew up as a military brat and we had the Armed Forces Network when we lived over seas.

I remember Gaiking, Grendizer, and Voltron the most as far as anime growing up.

Don't get me wrong, I was a transformers freak though. I remember those series in particular dragging me into anime.

I do know, pretty much for a fact, that the "Carl's vision" thing, is going to be Tommy's excuse to revert to if people get pissed at it. Also, it is his way of diverting blame, and to lighten people's anger. "How can we be mad, when this was Carl's last idea?"

Too late. The ban-hammer has already started to come down on those that criticize the hack-and-slash idea...as expected.

From RT forum

renegadeleader:

This is the breaking point where I lower my head in shame. This has to be the dumbest, laziest, and most absurd worst thing I've ever seen from robotech and I've put up with a lot as a fan.

Dammit Tommy Yune what the heck is wrong with you? Pulling this Carl Macek blending crap just isn't the right way to go...

MEMO1DOMINION's response

YOU DO KNOW IT WAS ALWAYS CARL MACEK IDEA? WAY BEFORE TOMMY CAME ON BOARD AND WAS WORKING ON IT JUST BEFORE HE PASSED AWAY.

FUNNY, SENTINELS WAS A BLEND AS WELL AND FANS STILL WANT THAT.

part of renegadeleader's reply to Memo's response (before being deleted by Kevin)

....Macek was a fool for still trying that crap up until he died and so is Tommy for following in his footsteps.

*out comes the ban-hammer*

Any insulting remarks aimed at Carl Macek will result in a banning.
It simply will not be tolerated here.
Kevin McKeever
ROBOTECH.com

Too late. The ban-hammer has already started to come down on those that criticize the hack-and-slash idea...as expected.

From RT forum [/indent]

Well, we know they aren't really gaining anymore fans, but this definitely shows they are losing them. I know this is a stupid idea, and really shows the stupidity of the "creative team", but even moreso, the fact that they have this concept, and won't even approach the man who made Lancer/Yellow Dancer's music for the show, is an insult to him, and a disservice to the fans. It's been said around, but Michael Bradley has done more for Robotech, and keeping the music he did alive, than Tommy and co. have done in their whole career combined. Despite your view of what Robotech is/was/will be, to treat someone with talent who truly has a love for his work, to be treated with such disrespect, and to be excluded because HG shafted him long ago, is just another example of the lack of class they have. That has nothing to do with any Macross vs. Robotech, that is just classless, and I really have no respect for the crew at HG.

And you know what's truly depressing about this whole thing? In one night, or premiere in this case, all the criticism, ridicule, and just plain badmouthing Robotech and Harmony Gold has gotten over the years regarding their handling of foreign animation suddenly became relevant again by the content of their new production. Honestly, I don't see them being able to pull this off during a normal convention panel due to the usual reactions to it. They wouldn't get away with it at a Comic-Con. Using their own theater and having very selective invitations was the only way to give it the positive spin they wanted.

I also hear that representatives from Warner Brothers were also at the event. Maybe part of the reason they did this was to impress their future partners for the LAM or some hopeful crap like that.

Also, did anyone know that the company that made this new documentary also worked on the Shadow Chronicles featurette Birth of a Sequel?

Fact of the matter is, if you asked a group of 80's pop culture afficianado's, they'd be much more inclined to remember Voltron than Robotech. As the care level goes down, Robotech's notoriety drops even futher. There are only two groups in the U.S. that care about Robotech's impact on anime. Macross fans, and what's left of the robotech fanbase, which is dying a little bit every day.

You know, I can remember robotech fans tossing great idea's HG's way for things they could include in their new sideproject. This one dude specifically wrote them a whole story outline, and all they gave him for his trouble was a ban. It even looks like he wrote his story in memo-ese to make it more understandable for HG & the remainder of their fans.

I LOVE ALL OF YOU GUYS, 'CUS YOU ARE LIKE ME, ROBOTECH FANS WAITING TO WATCH THE NEXT MOVIE, HOPEFULLY ON BLURAY IN HD. BUT BACK TO WOLF'S RANGER'S, I TOTALLY THINK YOU GUYS AT HG SHOULD MAKE THAT NOW, IT COULD BE LIKE STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH, WHERE ANAKIN SKYWALKER SLOWLY TURNS TO THE DARKSIDE OF THE FORCE. JONATHAN WOLF COULD DO THE SAME THING, BE A GREAT ROBOTECH HERO, THEN SLOWLY TURN TO THE DARK INVID SIDE OF THE PROTOCULTURE, AND THEN TURN ON ALL HIS FRIENDS, AND INSTEAD OF KILLING A SCHOOL FULL OF YOUNGLINGS, HE COULD CRASH HIS ALPHA FIGHTER INTO A SCHOOL FULL OF ROBOTECH CADETS OR SOMETHING. THAT WOULD TOTALLY BE AN AWESOME SCENE. I ALAWYS THOUGHT JONATHAN WOLF LOOKED LIKE SNIDELY WHIPLASH, SO MAYBE JONATHAN WOLF WOULD TWIDDLE HIS MUSTACHE & DO AN EVIL LAUGH WHEN HE DOES IT. ALSO, WILL LANCER BE IN THE NEW ROBOTECH: THIS PROJECT NOT YET NAMED? BECAUSE THE LAST TIME WE SAW HER, I MEAN HIM, I MEAN ? HE/SHE WAS WITH SERA, AND THEY LOOKED LIKE THEY WERE GOING TO BE LIVING TOGETHER. I THINK MEMO1DOMINION, THAT YOU SHOULD DRAW A SCENE WHERE THEY FIGHT TOGETHER, AND MAYBE EVEN SING TOGETHER TOO. THEY COULD START UP A BAND, CALLED NAPALM DROPPER, AND ROCK THEIR WAY THROUGH THE GALAXY WITH THE SON OF JONATHAN WOLF THAT WE DIDN'T KNOW EXISTED, BUT HE TOTALLY REDEEMS HIS FATHER, LIKE LUKE SKYWALKER REDEEMED DARTH VADER. THAT WOULD BE SOO AWESOME, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS NEW MOVIE, ON BLURAY

I don't know about you guys, but that's totally a movie I'd watch.

Lol....Zentrans in hats...

or vanishing deductibles? Either way I have the rumblies only hands can satisfy :lol:

On the main topic, I can't say such a maneuver by HG is unexpected but I am still somewhat shocked. What took them so long?

I'd watch only if it had the cool stretching titles and sound effects from a popcorn popper because then I know Carl Macek's spirit, bless his sacred name, is working through Tommy. Get rid of the band though. Rock music is too much like Macross, that show only purists, elitists, and snobs like.

You know, I can remember robotech fans tossing great idea's HG's way for things they could include in their new sideproject. This one dude specifically wrote them a whole story outline, and all they gave him for his trouble was a ban. It even looks like he wrote his story in memo-ese to make it more understandable for HG & the remainder of their fans.

I don't know about you guys, but that's totally a movie I'd watch.

Napalm Dropper. LOL.

Fact of the matter is, if you asked a group of 80's pop culture afficianado's, they'd be much more inclined to remember Voltron than Robotech. As the care level goes down, Robotech's notoriety drops even futher. There are only two groups in the U.S. that care about Robotech's impact on anime. Macross fans, and what's left of the robotech fanbase, which is dying a little bit every day.

What about Southern Cross fans?