Hasegawa 1/72 VF-0C (or VF-0B) kitbash....

ivorysniper

Hi everyone !!

Last night, while taking another look at Tenjin Hidetaka's Macross art works, specially to the VMFAT-203 Hawks VF-0C flying over a Daedalus picture, I started to entertain the thoughts of kitbashing a VF-0C and/or VF-0B from the Hasegawa VF-0D and VF-0S kits available. As you may know, VF-0C & VF-0B productions were discontinued long time ago due to being both limited editions, and to find a kit at an affordable price nowadays is nearly impossible.

Have anyone of you guys (specially our modelling masters or the ones that have the VF-0S or D under the belt) thought about this idea before ?. How complicated could be ?. Any additional or special work besides frankenstaining two kits ? Any references or previous topics about this subject ?.

Any comment will be highly appreciated. :)

Cheers !

The part swapping is not complicated at all, the Hasegawa VF-0 kits are modular. I have all of the VF-0 kits in my stash and can confirm that the VF-0C is essentially a VF-0D with the cockpit / front aircraft section from a VF-0S (plus the weapons from the VF-0A/S kit) & the VF-0B is just a VF-0S with the front section from the VF-0D.

You just need 1 VF-0D and 1 VF-0S kit, swap the cockpits, canopies and front sections and you have 2 new aircraft.

The part swapping is not complicated at all, the Hasegawa VF-0 kits are modular. I have all of the VF-0 kits in my stash and can confirm that the VF-0C is essentially a VF-0D with the cockpit / front aircraft section from a VF-0S (plus the weapons from the VF-0A/S kit) & the VF-0B is just a VF-0S with the front section from the VF-0D.

You just need 1 VF-0D and 1 VF-0S kit, swap the cockpits, canopies and front sections and you have 2 new aircraft.

Thanks a lot for the advice, Model-Junkie. This will ease the work a lot. It's a shame I won't be able to get the weapon loadouts, I guess I'll stick with some GBUs and AMRAAMs from the Hase's X72-series of weapons.

Thanks one more time. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The above is slightly incorrect - the A/C models share a head, as do the B/D models; the twin gun head is unique to the S. I don't know if that sprue is included with the VF-0S kit, or if you'll have to get it from someone who built their "A/S w/Ghost" as an S.

Either way, good luck!

Thank you very much for the advice, SebastianP !. I guess I'll have to procure another one-laser head/turret to make the math the right way.

• 1 month later...

Any progress on this endeavor? I was inspired by this thread to obtain the relevant kits to make all four variants of "A" through "D". I'm using the "S" kit as the basis for one conversion so I'll have to get myself another "A" head as well.

Any progress on this endeavor? I was inspired by this thread to obtain the relevant kits to make all four variants of "A" through "D". I'm using the "S" kit as the basis for one conversion so I'll have to get myself another "A" head as well.

Well, I ordered one S-kit and one D-kit from HLJ (both in transit at this moment). Once both arrive, I'll find myself on the same situation you've mentioned: pending to get an A-model head in order to complete the B-model. I'm not interested on kitbashing an A-model at this moment (just the B,C,D and S) but I'll need to get a one-laser turret head anyways for the B.

Edited by ivorysniper