1/60 VF-1 replacement shoulder hinge

VF5SS

Cool beans, would love to have an option to replace hinges whenever needed.

Veef, do you know anything about dying the parts? I have never done anything like it before.

I figure if I pick up a few sets of these, I would like them to match.

I'm in for (Edit: at least) 5 sets of 2 (10 pieces) whenever the model is ready for production, not that I need that much but that's a prevision for the future, I love those 1/60 Valks and you just resolve their main problem. I also have some friends desperately looking for those hinges.

Congrats man :) (you made my day!)

Edited by Loute

Ok the next set is shipping to me supposedly on the 15th. I will test those out to make sure they fit. Anyone who has some doubts can check to see that the pivot point for the hinge is indeed oblong so there should be enough space for fighter mode storage. There's no issues with it hitting the swing bar at all. Still transforming Mr. VT-1 with no signs of stress.

Like I said, pricing will be $10 for a set of two plus whatever shipping you can get from Shapeways. I don't want anyone to go crazy with multiple sets until they are satisfied with the results of one. However, it may be cheaper to buy in bulk.

We shall see.

I can wait 9 or more days for you to get and test your work.

So far it looks fairly nice -and solid-, I'll buy lots of these to decrease the shipping impact (France) when you're happy with the results (your v1 was already nice).

Just wondering, I know it's a bit early, but how will you proceed? You'll leave a link to shapeways so that we'll be able to order the parts directly from them? Or you have something else in mind?

Again, nice work from you and your friend, you gave me back hope for that you have my admiration :wub: .

It's just a pity that Yamato didn't do anything serious concerning that well known problem at first.

^_^

Edited by Loute

Yes I will just post the link to buy these. If Shapeways ships internationally you can just order from them directly. They take paypal for payment.

Since it costs me the same for shipping on the one hinge prototype and the next hinge, I assume it's a flat rate up until a certain weight. You could probably fit ten sets in the box I received the first one in.

Veef, this is awesome! I had, a long time ago now, this great idea to machine them out of aluminium stock. Except when I worked out how much the sets would cost (about $30) I gave up. This is the perfect solution! I'm in no rush but definitely down for a set.

I can wait 9 or more days for you to get and test your work.

So far it looks fairly nice -and solid-, I'll buy lots of these to decrease the shipping impact (France) when you're happy with the results (your v1 was already nice).

Just wondering, I know it's a bit early, but how will you proceed? You'll leave a link to shapeways so that we'll be able to order the parts directly from them? Or you have something else in mind?

Again, nice work from you and your friend, you gave me back hope for that you have my admiration :wub: .

It's just a pity that Yamato didn't do anything serious concerning that well known problem at first.

^_^

Yamato did do something. They were replacing shoulder hinges for quite some time. Graham at one point had quite a few replacement parts as well.

Yamato did do something. They were replacing shoulder hinges for quite some time. Graham at one point had quite a few replacement parts as well.

Yes you're right, my bad.

I meant a service that lasts longer. Many did not replace their hinges, thinking they were OK nor even heard about the replacement policy.

I missed Graham's last pieces and so far couldn't produce decent ones on my own because of my lack of experience with resin.

I'm glad VF5SS acts as a sustainable alternative.

This is great news... definitely in for at least 4 pairs.

Since I don't know much about how Shapeways operates, does this mean that once this design is "registered" with them, that they will be available permanently on their site, made to order? Or do designers state a time limit of availability?

When the designer uploads the parts into Shapeways, they have a chance to create a store. The creator can also decide what parts to put up for sale, and for how much, and as long as the creator wishes, the parts can be made available for as long as they choose. For that reason, you probably don't need to rush and buy the first version, or buy without making sure both pieces fit together. It sounds like that news will be coming very soon, and if all is good, you guys can buy as many as you like.

Here's some information about shipping from Shapeways

Shipping info

Shipping Options and Pricing

We ship worldwide by UPS. We always use this freight carrier and can not currently make any exceptions.

Cost

not including VAT/Sales Tax Applicable Countries $6.50 United States, Canada, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg $9.50 All EU Countries, Switzerland, Norway, San Marino, Vatican, Andorra, Liechenstein $19.99 Rest of the world

http://www.shapeways.com/support/shipping

there's some more stuff too

This is great news... definitely in for at least 4 pairs.

Since I don't know much about how Shapeways operates, does this mean that once this design is "registered" with them, that they will be available permanently on their site, made to order? Or do designers state a time limit of availability?

As far as I can tell from their FAQ, they will make it as long as the company exists and I don't decide to take it down.

Since I don't feel like torturing you guys, you shouldn't worry too much ( 'w' ) b

It sounds like that news will be coming very soon, and if all is good, you guys can buy as many as you like.

you don't have to speculate, mang

i'm right here

Man I cannot wait for this. My VF-1 broke a few months after it came out and I never really commited to any of the reissued shoulder joints but I'll gladly buy these. It definately would be nice if they were in different colors but the fact that I can finally take my Valk out of fighter mode makes me giddy.

There's no speculation on my part. You did say you'd make sure both hinges fit in the same space together. If that news is coming soon, that's not speculation.

As the priestess of the Bird Human legend, I will be doling out the information here. Lest you want me to place a Kadun of over eagerness on you.

Great work Veef.

The next step should be to design some of the following:

1.) ground crew or bridge bunnies

2) Side intakes or panels

3) Firing missile effects

4)) Ghost drones for Luca - may be too intricate

VF5SS I hope it would work with the vf1-j which are completely white. I want to thank you for letting these available for all! I always thought could be a good idea to 3d print them. Please, update us about the revisions you will get.

I hope everything goes well with it. Way to go!

And while you are at it, some atmospheric super parts for the 1/60 VF-11C, a 1/3000 scale transforming Battle 7, a radome for the 1/60 VF-17S and how about a perfect transformation 1/60 VF-5000B?

And all finished and available to buy online before lunch time tomorrow.

I know not the meaning of patience..........Mwahahahahah!

Graham

Come on guys,

Veef, created this part to help us all with our broken Valks, he never intend to take orders from anyone or build anything "superficial", we're not in a Mac(ross) Drive and we'll get some news next week.

Thank him ( :hail: ) for what he is doing to the community but don't take him as a vending machine.

And while you are at it, some atmospheric super parts for the 1/60 VF-11C, a 1/3000 scale transforming Battle 7, a radome for the 1/60 VF-17S and how about a perfect transformation 1/60 VF-5000B?

And all finished and available to buy online before lunch time tomorrow.

[...]

That's what cross my mind reading some posts here I'll just add "and possibly not to pricey, let's say 50$ the whole lot with stunning details, better than Yamato's :D".

Those were done awhile back ago.

They were done and they'll be done again...

as will be the ground crew...

as will be the bridge bunnies...

both in 1/60 and 1/48 scales...

so don't worry about those.

;)

Don't know about #3 or #4 tho.