Milia's VF-4 Racing Custom [1/72]

PetarB

miliaflightoffancybanner.jpg

How could I let 2012 go without doing another VF-4?

Here is Milia's VF-4 Racing Custom.

I had really hoped that the 'Macross: The Ride' racing series would encourage people to do some more racing customs. I love military aircraft, but I also love racers, with their crazy colour schemes and sponsor logos plastered all over the place. I thought about Milia - a pilot hotshot, no longer in active duty. What would she do? Why not race with a hotted-up retro VF-4!

However, this V4-F has some pretty substantial... modifications. From the souped up engines, reformed cowlings, control surfaces and even wings... a lot has been replaced in subtle and not-so-subtle ways.

Custom decals were produced, one with a fun little spin on Milia's origins. Some were cribbed from a Macross decals option sheet.

While I love weathering, somehow, it didn't seem appropriate for a racer like this. It was all about chrome and gloss finishes, and black, red and white.

Enjoy the pics.

vf-4miriyaracingspecial-backthreequarterlaunchview2.jpg

vf-4miriyaracingspecial-frontthreequarterheroview.jpg

vf-4miriyaracingspecial-cockpitdetail.jpgvf-4miriyaracingspecial-backthrusterview.jpg

vf-4miriyaracingspecial-frontprofileview.jpg

vf-4miriyaracingspecial-sideprofileview.jpg

vf-4miriyaracingspecial-frontthreequarterunderview.jpg

vf-4miriyaracingspecial-topdownfrontview.jpg

vf-4miriyaracingspecial-intakedetail.jpg

vf-4miriyaracingspecial-topthreequartersheroview.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Regards, Petar

Yes, weathering would really take away from this particular build. Which kit was the base model? One of Valk009's, or a different one?

This was the Valk009 kit. I did not use any of the supplied wings or control surfaces except for the vertical one below the nose. The engine area was rebuilt totally for a sleeker look - those are the main mods on the kit.

Very nice work on the graphics and the kit. That's a design that works well with the racing theme. I just wish you had used the other 1/72 kit as the base model, the lines are even more beautiful IMO.

You should make a picure together with your VF-2SS.

I agree, although I have never been able to acquire the other kit.

Yes, I think I'll have to do both this and VF-2SS together one day. I had planned to, I just forgot!

This was the Valk009 kit. I did not use any of the supplied wings or control surfaces except for the vertical one below the nose. The engine area was rebuilt totally for a sleeker look - those are the main mods on the kit.

I agree, although I have never been able to acquire the other kit.

Yes, I think I'll have to do both this and VF-2SS together one day. I had planned to, I just forgot!

Which other kit are you two talking about??

Phenomenal work as always PetarB. Absolutely stunning. Loved all the modifications, especially the shape of the rear verticals and engine cowlings, it really works together nicely and makes a sleeker design (great improvement!) Flawless paint finish too and I love the scheme. You are absolutely right, weathering would take away from your fine F-1 racer that's been meticulously taken care of.

Do you make you're own stands or is that something that one can buy? I love the simplicity of it, really enhances your model.

Love the scheme. In our discussion on repainting the VF-4 in 4G toy thread I'd do a butter paint job on a Milia version then what was done in M3 and this is pretty close to what I had envisioned. There would have been some white stripes on the legs but otherwise it's pretty close.

stunning...stunning.. love it

you're an artist man!

I agree with no weathering, racecars are always completely reworked after every race so they're always spotless and clean.

Milia red scheme was brillilant, so well made you might just stick a ferrari logo in there too, kidding!

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Actually I prefer the Club-M version too! I linked the wrong pic, sorry!

Milia red scheme was brillilant, so well made you might just stick a ferrari logo in there too, kidding!

You will be surprised to know that this was something I seriously considered. The only thing that turned me off was that the photoetch I was considering for the logo would have looked too out-of-scale.

Do you make you're own stands or is that something that one can buy? I love the simplicity of it, really enhances your model.

A while ago I decided that I hated just about every 'in flight' stand available for models and set our to design my own. The main consideration was that it would not, in anyway, detract from the model. It could only be see-through, and simple. Acrylic was my only option. I worked out what would be the best 'foot size' and did a bulk order with a local acrylic fabricator for the lower blocks, and purchased some rod stock - and I assemble them as needed.

The nice thing about this approach is that it also 'unifies' my model collection to some extent - it's not just a haphazard collection of different pieces.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the kind words.

Edited by PetarB