1/60 VF-1 replacement shoulder hinge

VF5SS

The revised hinge set will be arriving within a day or two. As soon as I can confirm they work, they will be made available. I'm not if I have time for another video but I'm confident these will work just as well.

Also please promise me you guys won't go crazy with ordering multiple sets until we get some feedback. I know that's the most economically way with the flat shipping, but I don't want to just repeat the same problem these toys had initially.

If someone wants to do a video with the replacement set, that's fine.

The revised set should be arriving today.

Thank you UPS tracking.

... Running round in my box at the office, hands risen, shouting like a kid, bumping everywhere (yes, it's a tiny box) :lol: .

I hope they'll be ok for "mass" prod. ;)

There are people truly passionate about things like this. I am one of those..for years I dreamed about getting a "Robotech" in my country and never could. Now, I bought my first Yamato and it was wonderful except for the shoulders. I also dreamed about fixing it..all kinds of things...I actually suggested using 3D printing to make them but ans EXO showed his project.

I am looking at this page every 5 minutes and presing F5 for any updates...I am dieing.

Regards,

Ok so the replacement set totally fits with room to spare

however, it was a pain the ass getting those stock pins in

So as far as durability goes, I was pounding these things with rubber mallets for a good half hour and they're fine

Given how much space is there with the two revised hinges, I'm guessing the first one would work just as well and it's generally easier to put the pins in those

post-1819-0-19695800-1329159109_thumb.jpg

post-1819-0-07308200-1329159138_thumb.jpg

So please give me some feedback and I will make the choice as for which to start selling.

Both work fine. Each will need a little bit of work just to install but hey, they're mallet proof.

Slightly OT question----in the first pic, the two big obvious screws----how tight should they be, as in, from the factory? My VF-1S seems to be quite loose there, as in the shoulder can kinda flop around 1-2mm in every direction with no resistance there in battroid mode. I honestly can't remember if that's how it was, or only after I replaced my hinges (official Yamato ones from Graham). I'd have to tighten them WAY more to "hold them down" I think but then it'd also be much harder to lift-n-swing the hinges out 180 degrees to transform. I tightened them down some more recently, but it seemed to have little/no effect. I don't really want to try to "tighten as much as I possibly can" for fear of damaging them.

It's just something I don't ever recall see being mentioned about the v2. In short:

In battroid mode, is the hinge itself supposed to kinda flop around? Just a small amount, but easily? The arm/shoulder armor is nice and stiff on the balljoint, and the metal pin joint is good, but the hinge assembly itself moves around freely at that screw/plastic ring.

I fixed the hinges using sections of a thick paper clip. They are easy to cut out but they are just a little bit thinner. Then I got the portions the wire that holds a processor from an old motherboard. The important thing is to see if they fit. Another thing would be to sand those pins down a little bit.

2a5noci.jpg

In battroid mode, is the hinge itself supposed to kinda flop around? Just a small amount, but easily? The arm/shoulder armor is nice and stiff on the balljoint, and the metal pin joint is good, but the hinge assembly itself moves around freely at that screw/plastic ring.

Yeah they're supposed to swing freely because in all three modes the shoulders are locked by other means.

What I wanted to say is that, we might find other pins to use if the originals do not work. We dont want to put too much stress on them and brake them. :p

How much are they going to be, more or less? Are you gonna update the old link to Shapeways or post another one here later?

Ok there's one other thing with the revised hinges. Due to how the polyamide forms there's generally some variation to the parts fit. On the revised hinge set, they will not sit flush in fighter mode position. There is no such issue with the old set. This is probably not going to happen on all of the revised hinges, but again due to how they are made it may happen.

Now it does not matter for fighter mode if the hinges are flush. This is the hinge itself as there's plenty of room in the cavity in where they store in fighter mode.

So again, do you guys want old or revised? The old is slightly more expensive by maybe 30 cents or less.

Edited by VF5SS

I didn't know if two old ones would fit together in fighter mode. Again, given the space with two revised hinges (which are 1 mm less in diameter on the main hinge) the old ones should be fine.

I'd think it'd be wiser to go with the older hinge... there's enough material to work with (i.e. sand down a bit) to get the fit just right (if someone sticks a pair in) and still have it be strong enough.

I'd think it'd be wiser to go with the older hinge... there's enough material to work with (i.e. sand down a bit) to get the fit just right (if someone sticks a pair in) and still have it be strong enough.

Well the new ones were pounded with a mallet.

That's pretty strong, right?