Akibaranger.jpg
Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger (非公認戦隊アキバレンジャー)
TV Asahi/Tokyo MX/Toei Company, 2012
Like Saban would actually use this series for Power Rangers...
Directed by Ryuta Tasaki (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Kamen Rider 555) and Nobuhiro Suzumura (Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger, Kamen Rider Ryuki)
Written by Naruhisa Arakawa (Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, Steel Angel Kurumi) and Junko Komura (Engine Sentai Go-onger, Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
Music by Kenji Kawai (Mobile Police Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell)
Running Time: 25 minutes per episode
Not Rated (Suggested TV-14). Contains sci-fi violence, partial nudity and mild language.

"重妄想!"
"Jumoso!" ("Grand Delusion!")

Cast
Masato Wada (Kintaro in The Prince of Tennis live-action film) as Nobuo Akagi/Akiba Red
Kyoko Hinami :wub: as Mitsuki Aoyagi/Akiba Blue
Karin Ogino :wub: as Yumeria Moegi/Akiba Yellow
Maaya Uchida :wub: as Hiroyo Hakase
Kozue Aikawa (of the dance group Danceroid) as Kozkoz Mita
Kazuki Yao (Judau in Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, Shogo in Megazone 23 I-II) as Takehiro Tsuzuki/Doctor Z
Honoka :wub: (former AV Idol) as ©Na (pronounced "Maru-C Na")
Hiroaki Hirata (Kaburagi/Wild Tiger in Tiger & Bunny, Machalcon in Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger) as Delu Knight (voice)
Miiko Morita :wub: as Sayaka Honiden
Shinpei Takagi (Fake Retsu in Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger) as Takuma Tsuzuki

"痛さは強さ! 非公認戦隊アキバレンジャー!"
"Itasa wa Tsuyosa! Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger!"
("Pain Is Power! Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger!")

Episode 1: "Pain Is Power!" (痛さは強さ)
Nobuo Akagi is a 29-year-old delivery man who fantasizes about being a Super Sentai hero and has a strong affection for anime girl Z-Cune Aoi. Then one day, he, female martial artist Mitsuki Aoyagi and cosplayer Yumeria Moegi are recruited by Sentai cafe owner Hiroyo Hakase to protect Akihabara as the Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger - despite the fact that it's all nothing but a grand delusion.

Lowdown
The 35th anniversary of Super Sentai may be over, but the tributes continue with this parody series. Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger is what you get when you mix Super Sentai with Akiba@DEEP: Basically a bunch of fanboys running the show.

In contrast to the seriousness of the current series Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, Akibaranger is all slapstick comedy, with characters occasionally breaking the fourth wall and addressing key elements of Super Sentai such as common filming locations and the stereotypical tactics of the villains. If you thought Gai Ikari of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger was a hardcore Super Sentai fanboy, Nobuo Akagi is much worse, as he cosplays (poorly) as Deka Red during work and attempts to fork over his salary for a well-preserved DX Great Five toy (from 1986's Hikari Sentai Maskman). Worse is that he goes completely moe over an anime girl whenever he sees pictures of her. Joining him are Mitsuki Aoyagi - a martial artist who doesn't see the point in Super Sentai poses, and Yumeria Aoyagi - an office lady who's into cosplaying. Oh yeah, the main female villain is smoking hot.

As for the suits, they're as fanboyish as you'd imagine, blending elements of past and present Super Sentai suit designs. The henshin method is wacky yet original, as it involves the use of an Aoi doll that transforms into a gun. Of course, being an "unofficial" Super Sentai title, the production value is lower; nevertheless, it's a lot more fun to watch than Go-Busters. And it even has a theme song by Haruko Momoi (Nurse Witch Komugi-chan) to boot.

The Akibarangers don't have a giant robot, but in next week's episode, we'll be introduced to Machine Itashar, an itasha Toyota Prius that transforms into a robot. Can't wait to see that in action.

In short, Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger succeeds where Go-Busters fails at keeping old-school Super Sentai fans entertained while poking fun at their fandom and the otaku culture of Akihabara.

Rating: A-

Next time, on Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger:

Episode 2: "The Bizarrely-Decorated Vehicle's Activation Unleashes a Red Delusionary Full Blast" (再起する痛魂が喚ぶ赤き妄想のフルブラスト)
Featuring a guest appearance by Deka Red!

Good boys and girls shouldn't watch.

Links
Official Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger Homepage
Tamashii Nation's Official Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger Homepage

References
JEFusion Edited by areaseven

Nice Shot XD

Let's put it this way. I haven't watched any Power Rangers since the original(which I deemed as a "cheap Voltron knockoff", and damn the facts), but I'd watch at least an episode or two of Power Rangers: Geek Force just to see what was up.

On this week's episode of Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger:

ep02screen.jpg
Episode 2: "The Bizarrely-Decorated Vehicle's Activation Unleashes a Red Delusionary Full Blast" (再起する痛魂が喚ぶ赤き妄想のフルブラスト)
Special Guest: Ryuji Sainei (Banban Akaza/Deka Red in Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger)

ep02screen01.jpg

The Akibarangers realize that all of their fighting in last week's episode was a complete delusion, sending Nobuo in complete disbelief. Then, while moping over the revelation of his misadventure, he meets Ryuji Sainei, the former Deka Red in Dekaranger who is on his way to promote the Japanese dub of Power Rangers S.P.D. Meanwhile, Mitsuki and Yumeria are out to pick up some new Z-Cune Aoi when they once again stumble upon ©Na and yet another evil plot on a group of helpless otaku.

ep02screen02.jpg

This series gets more bizarre and wacky every week, with actual Super Sentai actors getting involved in the mix. While Toei continues to be on a copyright rampage on YouTube, they decide to poke fun at the rampant bootlegging epidemic going on at Akihabara's back alleys. ©Na's latest scheme strips any geek of their clothes, but it backfires on her. (Too bad I can't show you the result here...) We are also introduced to the Akibarangers' itasha Toyota Prius/robot called Machine Itassher, which ends up being useless in the end.

ep02screen03.jpg

Next week on Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger:

Episode 3: "It Hurts! Drunken Hero Adventure!!" (痛タッ!酔いどれヒーロー大冒険!!)
Bouken Red of GoGo Sentai Boukenger steps in.

Good boys and girls shouldn't watch. Edited by areaseven

ep03screen.jpg
Episode 3: "It Hurts! Drunken Hero Adventure!!" (痛タッ!酔いどれヒーロー大冒険!!)
Special Guest: Mitsuomi Takahashi (Mitsuomi in the 2007 Hana-Kimi series) as Bouken Red (voice)

ep03screen02.jpg

Akagi's hopes of dating his long-time crush Sayaka causes him to go on a drinking binge, which surprisingly amplifies his delusion power with him summoning Bouken Red of GoGo Sentai Boukenger. To further test this theory, Akagi and Yumeria get drunk to prepare for the Akibarangers' next battle, much to Mitsuki's dismay.

ep03screen03.jpg

This episode was obviously tailor-made for drinking games. as it's absolutely wrong on so many levels. I don't even want to get into the details of this week's main villain. Still, it's an extremely hilarious episode you need to see.

Episode 4: "Forbidden Delusion Is the Pain of Immortality Blue" (禁じられた妄想は青い背徳の痛み)
Akiba Blue betrays the Akibarangers?

This will really put a dent in my bank account...

405161_422180761131176_345232028826050_1
"For [insert Super Sentai title here], I recommend [insert Super Sentai character here]! Akiba Red!"
"Akiba Blue desu ka."
"Did you know that every manga is a derivative of other works? And there's this one time..."

540572_422180607797858_345232028826050_1
More Super SentaiS.H. Figuarts Revealed

Edited by areaseven

ep04screen.jpg
Episode 4: "Forbidden Delusion Is the Pain of Immortality Blue" (禁じられた妄想は青い背徳の痛み)
Special Guest: None

Mitsuki takes three days off to participate in a martial arts camp in Izu, and she asks Akagi and Yumeria not to enter any delusions while she's out. But while the duo are living their normal lives in Akihabara, another Chief Clerk suddenly appears, and they are forced to fight him without Mitsuki.

ep04screen02.jpg

While this is more of a filler episode than anything, it's so moe to see the girls cosplay as past Super Sentai female characters.

ep04screen01.jpg

Episode 5: "Our Pain ☆ Yellow Mama" (イタイタ☆イエローママ)
You think Yumeria-chan has it bad when it comes to cosplaying? You should see her mother!

The Machine Itashar toy will be huge, given that it will accommodate the S.H. Figuarts Akibarangers. It will definitely not cost US$30-something; expect it to be over US$150, as it will most likely be a Tamashii Web exclusive.

54363338867496108071340.jpg54850738867499308151340.jpg

Edited by areaseven

The Machine Itashar toy will be huge, given that it will accommodate the S.H. Figuarts Akibarangers. It will definitely not cost US$30-something; expect it to be over US$150, as it will most likely be a Tamashii Web exclusive.

That's just too epic. Any dates on it yet? Need a lot of time for my wallet to recharge.

Urgh...the figures are all sold out on amiami...

Edited by raptormesh

So.. is this the first time in history where a (sortof) Sentai mecha was released in the same scale as the action figures? I mean, generally, the robots are huge, so it'd be crazy impractical.. but in this case.. it works awesomely.

Yup, first time ever.

Also just to give you an idea of how big Itashar Robo will be, an S.H. Figuarts male figure is 5.5" in height.

Wow, the gun freaking transforms! Jou Musou! I thought that was just CG magic. For an "unofficial" sentai Bandai sure is marketing the heck out of it.

Gah, I was never that into MMPR toys/figures to begin with, but I did want the original gun/sword/thing.. when I was nine years old..

I can't believe I'm seriously considering buying Power Rangers toys again. :lol: But that gun is probably the best looking weapon they've had in a long while, and awesome that it doubles as their henshin device.

Dangit, I don't even buy figures. But this series is just too funny to not support the franchise.

ep05screen.jpg
Episode 5: "Our Pain ☆ Yellow Mama" (イタイタ☆イエローママ)
Special Guest: Rica Matsumoto (Satoshi in Pocket Monsters, Aoi in You're Under Arrest) as Masako "Miyabi" Yamada

ep05screen01.jpg

Yumeria's mother pays her a visit for her 24th birthday. But things don't go well when Kabukichō Mesugurohyōmonchō returns from the dead to convert Akihabara's shops and cafes into host clubs. So how is Yumeria's mother able to enter the whole delusional battle?

ep05screen02.jpg

Suffice to say, this is the special Mother's Day episode, and it's just so wrong to celebrate the occasion this way. The resurrected baddie from episode 3 isn't even the worst part of it. Be warned that there is some groping involved in this episode.

At the same time, it's actually an emotional episode, especially when you find out the truth about Yumeria-chan's mother.

ep05screen03.jpg

Episode 6: "Take Flight Leader! The Painful Trap of Deluded Photography" (はばたけ大御所!妄想撮影所の痛い罠)
A veteran Super Sentai stuntman gets himself involved in this mess.

For those that missed them, the Akibarangers are still available for preorder at HLJ at MSRP still. I'm only up to ep 3 but if they get more weird with the fetishes and such, I may have to watch them without my wife.

Never into the whole Super Sentai/Power Rangers thing and even my son was only briefly into Power Rangers for a short period, but this show sounds like fun and I may give it a try, especially as there seems to be an English subbed version (from the screen shots above).

Graham

ep06screen.jpg
Episode 6: "Take Flight Leader! The Painful Trap of Deluded Photography" (はばたけ大御所!妄想撮影所の痛い罠)
Special Guest: Kazuo Niibori (suit actor of 14 different Super Sentai Reds and five Kamen Riders)

ep06screen01.jpg

Akagi and Mitsuki deliver a package to Toei's Tokyo studio, where they tour around the famous Super Sentai backlots and meet veteran stunt coordinator Kazuo Niibori, whose legendary skills encourage Mitsuki to stick around and learn more about Super Sentai combat. Meanwhile, a Chief Clerk has surfaced to whisk away geeks into the theater district of Shimokitazawa.

ep06screen02.jpg

Despite a pseudo-lesbian scene in the beginning that has almost nothing to do with the story, the episode shines with a tribute to the suit actor - undoubtedly the hardest-working person in the tokusatsu business. Nice to see that Mitsuki-chan can do some great fight scenes on her own. And we get to learn some valuable tricks in filming a Super Sentai show. Of course, having Red Hawk from Choujin Sentai Jetman making a guest appearance is an added plus.

ep06screen03.jpg

Also, Yumeria-chan's cosplaying gets creepier with her fujoshi tendencies taking over most of her act.

ep06screen04.jpg

©Na-sama leaving the delusional world? What a sudden change of story development.

Episode 6: "Fly, Itashar, Break Past the Limits!" (妄走イタッシャー限界突破せよ!)
With ©Na now in the real world, can the Akibarangers actually protect their beloved town?

Good boys and girls shouldn't watch.

Edited by areaseven