Just look under the popped knee thing on either of the legs. That part (supporting the thin vertical beam) was only a single white part on the MG. While this has a grey inner part, so it should be the PG.

I guess we need clearer scans to see the panel lines on the white surfaces.

Well if it indeed is a PG, then I am shocked that a lot of the problems with the MG have seem to have made it over.

- leg to arm ratio still looks bad

- you still have that plastic bit interfering with inner elbow articulation when in NT-D mode

- and still nothing seems like it locks and holds together

No, you're right, a Unicorn is a Unicorn, and I'm not sure what I expected. But a kit I bought from Japan recently even came with that promo poster we've been seeing, and that made it look soooo sexy. Maybe it's the lack of panel lining and decals that is making this image so bleh.

I did compare the new image to my MG Unicorn, and there are differences. The faceplate on the image looks less sunken, the cheek design appears different, and there are definite differences in the neck guard and how the head sits. So, maybe this is the real PG, but, man, they need to get a nicer example for the promo pics!

I dont think it is a promo pic, that is just a small picture at the corner on of the pages of a hobby mag. Bandai clearly stated that they will show an actual product demo by November.

Well if it indeed is a PG, then I am shocked that a lot of the problems with the MG have seem to have made it over.

- leg to arm ratio still looks bad

- you still have that plastic bit interfering with inner elbow articulation when in NT-D mode

- and still nothing seems like it locks and holds together

1. leg to arm ratio looks bad because that is the proportion of the Gundam Unicorn. It was designed by Katoki Hajime, a Mecha designer that focuses on HUGE legs

2. Might be true, but yet to be seen

3. Might be true as well, but we still need to see the actual model.

Yeah, even setting aside Katoki's aesthetic preferences, the mechanics of the Unicorn mean there is a lot more extension of the legs/feet than the arms when changing to Destroy mode, so a well-proportioned Unicorn-mode will always look very leggy after transformation. The only way around that which I can imagine would be to "cheat" with a concealed or off-model extension of the upper arms as well.

Having said that, I still feel that the MG proportions in both modes are a bit too leggy (displeasing to my eyes, if not strictly off-model), and I don't see much difference in this PG.

1. leg to arm ratio looks bad because that is the proportion of the Gundam Unicorn. It was designed by Katoki Hajime, a Mecha designer that focuses on HUGE legs

Yeah, even setting aside Katoki's aesthetic preferences, the mechanics of the Unicorn mean there is a lot more extension of the legs/feet than the arms when changing to Destroy mode, so a well-proportioned Unicorn-mode will always look very leggy after transformation.

Yeah, I am not really 100% convinced with Katoki leg thing argumentation. HGUC version of Unicorn or the Nu Gundam Evolve Mode look proportionate to me, granted one doesn't transform and the other has a more subtle extension. For PG I would have thought they could find a better middle ground between transformation and proportions. And isn't Katoki behind V and V2 Gundam, those aren' very leggy designs.

The only way around that which I can imagine would be to "cheat" with a concealed or off-model extension of the upper arms as well.

You know that ridge on the biceps has always bugged me. It seems like it was intended to extend too, but was completely forgotten (even by Katoki himself) to be implemented.

Edited by lechuck

You know that ridge on the biceps has always bugged me. It seems like it was intended to extend too, but was completely forgotten (even by Katoki himself) to be implemented.

I know exactly what you mean. That spot doesn't open in any line art or animation that I've seen, but I certainly wouldn't mind if the PG did it anyways. Alternately, the upper arm could simply extend slightly without exposing any frame, and I don't think even the most obsessive line-art purist could call foul on that.

Yeah, I am not really 100% convinced with Katoki leg thing argumentation. HGUC version of Unicorn or the Nu Gundam Evolve Mode look proportionate to me, granted one doesn't transform and the other has a more subtle extension.

See, I think the HGUC Unicorn NT-D is too bulky. They're like the Gundam Mk-II's proportions, not the lankier Unicorn's.

It's obviously not the MG, but it looks a bit too plain for a PG. I'm waiting for the product demo. That should at least show it in a better light.

Maybe what I don't like about it is it doesn't quite have the super-Katoki proportions. MG Unicorn is super tall and not all that wide. And like 80% of the kit is legs. I think it'll look a fair bit better at the product demo, when they have it in higher definition imaging.

*snip*

You can see more details / panel lines from this picture.

Nope still does nothing for me. I don't know why because I was blown away by the images of the Fixed Figuration Unicorn with the green psycho frame. Maybe it is the frame color but than again I love the red on my Robot Damashii toy...

Weird....

true, I was kinda of expecting a revamp of the design a bit like we've seen on other kits....maybe some color alterations like we get on the RG's....SOMETHING that says this is going to be a kick ass kit to build. But, it honestly looks nothing of the sort really. Just the same old unicorn gundam design but with some dips in the armor for detailing and the occasional line here and there.

It looks very generic for a PG, large chunks of armor parts, same old PG hands, same visible white parts on the shield psychoframe. It feels like they could have released a non-grade 1/60 version & nobody would notice the difference.

I guess I was expecting a night/day difference like the MG Strike & PG Strike. I suppose at this point, it'll probably be more impressive if they released an RG version.

I *really* would have liked "multiple shades of white" like an RG. What MS could use that more than the Unicorn?

(related note: Yet again, we get an RG that doesn't really do the multiple shades thing---I'm looking at you EW Zero) That just pretty much kills it for me, it's the main appeal of RG for me. Looks so amazing on a Zaku, then they give us quite plain Zeta and Zero...

Bandai got lazy on this one I think. The MG has nice surface breakup, for its scale. But if you double that to the 1/60, you need a lot more to keep the surfaces visually distinct. Otherwise it just feels like a big toy. Pending the product demo, I'm probably not gonna buy it at this rate. It just wouldn't look as good as PG Strike does, and people would think it was a megasize.

PG Strike at it's price I think is still an amazing kit and I'm not a Seed fan at all. It was just a nice kit overall. Sadly that was the ONLY more recent model released I've done and everything else has been older. I've been wanting to build the 00 Raiser but that price is just so much....

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Seed as a series, the PG Strike is a very well-thought-out and well-designed kit. It really sets a high standard to achieve for Perfect Grade. But I do think it's an achievable standard, given how few and far between PG releases are. And especially with something like Unicorn Gundam, which is a very popular moneymaker for Bandai, I'd expect them to go all-out with it. I'm waiting on the product demo. There has to be more to it than those pictures.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Seed as a series, the PG Strike is a very well-thought-out and well-designed kit. It really sets a high standard to achieve for Perfect Grade. But I do think it's an achievable standard, given how few and far between PG releases are. And especially with something like Unicorn Gundam, which is a very popular moneymaker for Bandai, I'd expect them to go all-out with it. I'm waiting on the product demo. There has to be more to it than those pictures.

Expectations are really high, including myself, since it has been a long time since they announce a PG that most of the folks really thought that Bandai has abandoned it. Hope they can give more details to the frame and other bits that is not cost efficient to do in 1/100.

I'm weighing my options on how to handle that frame, too. I saw some encouraging pics from someone who just sprayed it down on the runners with Tamiya gold from a can. I'm not sure how to handle joints, but I suppose I'd go in and touch them up with a marker after flexing them.

Maybe I'll just let you go first ;-)

So I built the Strike Freedom today and the only parts where you can see the underlying plastic of the frame parts are the elbow joints. Everything else is nicely covered by the armor panels. Other areas where you can see bare plastic after I spray painted the parts on the runners are the track of the lower knee joints and the ball joints on the shoulders. there are some other small parts like the hands that stem from cutting the parts off the runners but they are hardly noticeable.

You should probably go with the richer gold. The more silver color turned out ok and I will see what I can do with the brown lining pen to make the color warmer.

If you need some pictures I can post some if you want.

So there is your assembly report. :)

yesterday I acquired my RG Strike Freedom and MKII...and I gotta tell you, after I sprayed that TS-21 Gold on the inner frame I was blown away on how much cooler this is going to look when complete. I'm sure there will be a few touch ups on the gold I'll need to do cause they're mainly joints, but I expect this to come out looking very neat.

So many kits so little time.

So I built the Strike Freedom today and the only parts where you can see the underlying plastic of the frame parts are the elbow joints. Everything else is nicely covered by the armor panels. Other areas where you can see bare plastic after I spray painted the parts on the runners are the track of the lower knee joints and the ball joints on the shoulders. there are some other small parts like the hands that stem from cutting the parts off the runners but they are hardly noticeable.

You should probably go with the richer gold. The more silver color turned out ok and I will see what I can do with the brown lining pen to make the color warmer.

If you need some pictures I can post some if you want.

So there is your assembly report. :)

I really appreciate the update. I always like to look at pictures of pretty gunpla, but don't go out of your way if posting is a bother.

I have the RG Strike Freedom in-house to study now, but I may put a few kits ahead of it line so that I can fret some more about the gold. Just started the RG GP-01fb, and the RG Justice should also be here any day. And finally, I have this "dark horse" in the shape of Nobunaga's "The Fool" kit... gonna be a lot of painting with that one, I fear.

I really appreciate the update. I always like to look at pictures of pretty gunpla, but don't go out of your way if posting is a bother.

I have the RG Strike Freedom in-house to study now, but I may put a few kits ahead of it line so that I can fret some more about the gold. Just started the RG GP-01fb, and the RG Justice should also be here any day. And finally, I have this "dark horse" in the shape of Nobunaga's "The Fool" kit... gonna be a lot of painting with that one, I fear.

I will try to post a few images tomorrow but I'm terrible at taking pictures and I have suboptimal lighting at my place which makes taking pictures a chore.