Battleship Movie

Dangaioh

"You sank my childhood!"

Yours, mine, anyone who is no longer a child is safe - but just think of all the poor generations yet unborn who will ever more have this terrible looking movie linked with the game? I predict that future versions of the game will include video clips of the movie that play when hits are made. (actually, I predict a big bomb of a movie which sadly means it will be a blockbuster tentpole movie)

In a "How badly will this suck?" kinda way, yeah.

One never knows. It could be so bad that it's good - in a forgettable kinda way.

Anyhow, I had fun yesterday mulling over what kind of battleship based movie I'd make. The most intriguing idea was having the aliens kidnapping ships and crews from all historical periods - US, UK, Russia, German, etc. - and forcing them to shoot at each other, with their big guns and no radar, first in a thick fog, then in a nasty alien typhoon or something. You know, can't see exactly where the other fleet is... just like the actual game! I felt it gave the best chance to show a range of naval ships, the big guns firing - a lot! - and some interesting character dynamics. Kinda a cross between that most recent Predators movie and the Philadelphia Experiment.

What do you think... should I have gotten the writing job for the movie?

One never knows. It could be so bad that it's good - in a forgettable kinda way.

Anyhow, I had fun yesterday mulling over what kind of battleship based movie I'd make. The most intriguing idea was having the aliens kidnapping ships and crews from all historical periods - US, UK, Russia, German, etc. - and forcing them to shoot at each other, with their big guns and no radar, first in a thick fog, then in a nasty alien typhoon or something. You know, can't see exactly where the other fleet is... just like the actual game! I felt it gave the best chance to show a range of naval ships, the big guns firing - a lot! - and some interesting character dynamics. Kinda a cross between that most recent Predators movie and the Philadelphia Experiment.

I dunno...I'm curious to see what you'd do with, say, "Operation." Or maybe (since AgentONE brought it up) "Hungry Hungry Hippos."

as far as accuracy you are definitely closer

I dunno...I'm curious to see what you'd do with, say, "Operation." Or maybe (since AgentONE brought it up) "Hungry Hungry Hippos."

Awesome+

Somehow someway this will boost game sales

Edited by pfunk

Operation... hmmm... cross between The Reanimater, Planet Terror (Grindhouse), and the Devil's Advocate (hey, we're talking zombies, right. Might as well add in a malpractice case... with the Devil!)

Hungry Hungry Hippos - cross between Anaconda, and the Congo (hippos and water - what says that better than that African river. Though... if I set it there, I'd get sidetracked by the fish that dies from depressurization, and THE Tigerfish.

Man... that fish just screams movie:

558107-goliath-tigerfish.gif

(The guy holding the fish here looks scary, too. Hire him!)

Even the babies look mean:

TigerfishHydrocynusVittatus2.jpg

Edited by sketchley

Operation... hmmm... cross between The Reanimater, Planet Terror (Grindhouse), and the Devil's Advocate (hey, we're talking zombies, right. Might as well add in a malpractice case... with the Devil!)

Hungry Hungry Hippos - cross between Anaconda, and the Congo (hippos and water - what says that better than that African river. Though... if I set it there, I'd get sidetracked by the fish that dies from depressurization, and THE Tigerfish.

Okay, you got the job. Sketchley will write the 2024 Battleship remake. You heard it here first, folks!

• 4 weeks later...

Known in Britain, if not the rest of the world as "Snakes and Ladders".

Graham

After watching trailer 3, all I can say is "oh dear".

Graham

Aside from the eye rolls and the feelings of plot dejavu, it was all yawn...

... aside from the one moment of wondering what the heck a respectable actor like Liam Neeson is doing in the movie. Maybe the same thing as Gwyneth Paltrow is doing in the Iron Man movies?

anyhow... quite surprised that Robot Chicken and I are on the same wavelength.

I will play devils advocate, Battleship could have been made good if done as a period piece from when we actually used battleships, and if it was about a naval engagement with other real ships that was covered up for some reason. On second thought no, no, it wouldn't