1/72nd scale monster V2.0....any interest????

mslz22

Hey Guys, i know that i have not been around much in the last couple of years, and i know that i had promised to do another short run of the 1/72nd scale monster at one point......however...I was cleaning up today and came across a box with the monster patterns in it, and got to thinking...the monster was my first real ground up scratchbuild, and while it was a really big improvement over the WF one that proceeded it, there are some things that i would do different if I did a V2.0. Thinking it over i would

1. Resculpt the feet, better detail, closer to the correct shape, bigger toe, made to cast hollow, maybe add footpad.

2. Slight resculpt of the body, a bit more curvy, again more detail, over all i would like the body to be more "aggressive"

3. Lengthen the forward part of the arm cannon by about a half inch, again going more a more aggressive look.

4. Lighten up the entire body, I am much better at molding and casting at this point and have better techniques that i can get this done.

5. Improve the overall ability to pose the kit, especially the arms

6. Improve the overall detail detail on the kit, a humble attempt at getting it to match the level of detail in Captain Americas 1/72 line.

7. Rework the underside where the upper legs attach to the "belly"

I am just in the beginning phase of thinking about this, if i were to do this i would likely need at least 20 people interested, and i know that everyone would want to know about price...I would guess in the $325.00 range, which is still cheaper than that WF offering all those years ago. My plan would be to include decals. If i took this on i would not take any orders until it was finished, and i would expect around Feb. before being done. I've attached a couple of pics for those not familiar with V1.

thanks, and please let me know any input...

mike s

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

What about those of us who already have V1.0 If your going that far why not add a additional seperate back plate for the HWR MKI and the "hands" as an option. Then agan one of these things is hard enough to move around to start with. As much as id like it icant afford it at this time.

I do understand that people who have the first release may feel a bit slighted if i do this, and i hope they do not keeping in mind the improvement the first kit was over that WF kit (that i paid nearly $500.00 for and never made), and the fact that for a project that weighed in at 17lbs of resin I came in at half that.

I do still love my build of my what now may be called a V1, and look at it all the time, for me i would do this V2 because i love the monster and would want to augment my collection. If lots of V1 owners have an objection to a V2, i would drop this idea, i really do understand that it may be frustrating and sensitive issue. I was hesitant to even bring this idea up, at first i was just going to rework the patterns to make my own 2nd build from..

thanks

miek

I do understand that people who have the first release may feel a bit slighted if i do this, and i hope they do not keeping in mind the improvement the first kit was over that WF kit (that i paid nearly $500.00 for and never made), and the fact that for a project that weighed in at 17lbs of resin I came in at half that.

I do still love my build of my what now may be called a V1, and look at it all the time, for me i would do this V2 because i love the monster and would want to augment my collection. If lots of V1 owners have an objection to a V2, i would drop this idea, i really do understand that it may be frustrating and sensitive issue. I was hesitant to even bring this idea up, at first i was just going to rework the patterns to make my own 2nd build from..

thanks

miek

I don't own the V1 of your kit, but I do think in the name of progress it would be nice to see an even better version.

I don't think there would be any harm in making anything better.

You could give a better price to v1.0 owners... :ph34r:

It would be great if you could reach the same details as the 1/144 Yellow Submarine version. I can give you some pictures of the parts of the kit if you want.

Here are some pictures of a finished recast kit:

sms127a.jpg

sms127b.jpg

sms127c.jpg

sms127d.jpg

sms127e.jpg

Edited by cool8or

I'll go for one, always room for one more box of resin bits :p

Wouldn't sweat the V1 owners feeling miffed. Improvement is a fact of life. You don't see car makers holding back on improvements just because it might upset the owners of last years model.

I am just drooling over this. I sent you an email shortly after I joined the forum asking when you would make another run of the kit. I would love to have one!!! It does not bother me if it is a V2. I would love to see this with Capt's level of detail. Please make another!!!! and put me on the list for one.

Kannichiwa & Arigato- Jason

Hi Mike; great to see you back. :D

I too have been strapped for cash, but for a Monster :wub: I'd squeeze blood out of a stone!!! :lol:

If you still have my details from last time then please let me know, else I'll PM them again.

Just in case of any ambiguity:

I WANT IN!!!

Graham.

Thanks guys, it looks like at least 7 so far......I spent a little time last night again looking over the parts again and formulating a plan of attack to tune them up, right now almost every part would get at least a small change. The monster really is my favorite mech and one of the reasons i got into modeling believe it or not, it's kind of fun to revisit this a bit.

cool8or, thanks for the pics, I did take some elements from the yellow sub kit when i did the v1 including the top of the main body, and the "tall" feet, but did not quite achieve the level of detail seen there, at the time i did have some concerns about overdoing plating and throwing off the sense of scale, in retrospect i under did it.

If anyone has a good scan of the decal sheet to either the 1/160 or 1/144 that would be a giant help, i would need to get something off to my decal guy if this goes forward.

thanks

mike

Mike,

Awesome. Sounds like a dream.

Resculpting the foot would have been my first suggestion - if I'd ever landed one of your V1 version that would have been my first change. It wasn't awful but I like the rounded front slope of the line art version, and the larger toe. Ditto for the "curvier" body, and the other changes also sound good, especially a more hollow set of castings.

At your estimated price I'd be in for one definitely and two most likely (depends on a friend but I think he'd be keen).

Cheers,

Martyn

Edit - I THINK I have the 1/160 decal sheet around somewhere, will get back to you. Assuming I do, what DPI you want it at?

Edited by Kremmen

Thanks Martyn, i sent an email off to JT to see what DPI would be best.

As for those feet, those are tricky, there seems to be a few different interpretations of them for sure, i always thought that mine looked most like the ones in this pic below, although the toe was not as big. In fact this pic also, at least to my eye, has the slightly shorter forward arm cannon like mine, I guess i must have looked at this pic a lot when i was making the pattern...

thanks

mike

destroid-monster.gif

Mike,

Awesome. Sounds like a dream.

Resculpting the foot would have been my first suggestion - if I'd ever landed one of your V1 version that would have been my first change. It wasn't awful but I like the rounded front slope of the line art version, and the larger toe. Ditto for the "curvier" body, and the other changes also sound good, especially a more hollow set of castings.

At your estimated price I'd be in for one definitely and two most likely (depends on a friend but I think he'd be keen).

Cheers,

Martyn

Edit - I THINK I have the 1/160 decal sheet around somewhere, will get back to you. Assuming I do, what DPI you want it at?

With the coming release of the 1/100 Monster from Wave, you'll be having one more piece of art for your reference on the 1/72 project.

Chris

Thanks Martyn, i sent an email off to JT to see what DPI would be best.

As for those feet, those are tricky, there seems to be a few different interpretations of them for sure, i always thought that mine looked most like the ones in this pic below, although the toe was not as big. In fact this pic also, at least to my eye, has the slightly shorter forward arm cannon like mine, I guess i must have looked at this pic a lot when i was making the pattern...

thanks

mike

Just heard from JT, 600dpi is what he would prefer..

thanks

mike

No worries - I'll dig it out in and check its condition, if it's OK I should have that to you before long.

You're right, I always mix up line art and Arii/Imai injection kits. It's the latter I was thinking of.

Edit: bugger. Found it, was covered in sticky dust. I've cleaned it up OK I think - lost some of the decal numbering though - had to use a moist cloth, and it'll have to dry thoroughly before I can scan - hopefully be ready in the morning. If anyone has a better one please pre-empt me.

Edited by Kremmen

Since I was #2 on the old list.....

Yeah I'm interested as long as it isn't before February that I'd have to pay. Heck later would be even better......

Be interested in comparing this to the new Wave 1/100....pics of that thing anywhere?

And I'd love to see the same details on that recast 1/144 that cool8or posted but in 1/72. The inside of the cannon arms has so much more going on in that 1/144 one, really brings it to life. And the feet look wider and beefier. That would be amazing in this scale...geez here I am talking myself into one of those 1/144 ones....

Mike,

This really wasn't stored well and has suffered damage. This is the best scan I can get of it, but it still looks way worse than it does in real life at this DPI. Sorry!

Was JT going to redraw it? It'll need some photoshopping otherwise; I can do that but not until tonight.

http://q-net.net.au/~nipngnwm/Monsterdecals.jpg

Cheers,

Martyn

Thanks, i think he was going to do a redraw, just needed some where to start. If anyone else has some decal scans they can contribute it may also help.

thanks

mike

Mike,

This really wasn't stored well and has suffered damage. This is the best scan I can get of it, but it still looks way worse than it does in real life at this DPI. Sorry!

Was JT going to redraw it? It'll need some photoshopping otherwise; I can do that but not until tonight.

http://q-net.net.au/~nipngnwm/Monsterdecals.jpg

Cheers,

Martyn

I have daydreamed about a bigger scale for this, the biggest limitation is how many people who collect 1/60 are model builders? It seems to be almost none, I've even considered 1/48, even just for myself at some point...again the issue is building one for myself and molding the thing are very different price tags...

I did spend some time this weekend reworking the main body and started on the foot, I did one side of the body as a test and i am happy with the results, the biggest change was to the nose, it now has a much better curve to the underside, i also reworked the side panels to have a more distinctive curvature to them. I still need to rework some of the panel lines and get some primer on it, once i do that i will post up a pic.

As for the foot, right now i am trying to come up with a good way to integrate a ball and socket into both the foot pad, which will now be a separate part, and the main junction where the leg strut intersects with the foot. I have some good ideas, just need to hash it out a bit.

thanks

mike

I am in for one more mike, since I did buy the V1, let me know since yamato came out with the 1/60 destroids, how about a 1/60 monster...lol

This sounds exciting Mike!

Just an idea...

I already have a v1, so picking up another one (though that would be awesome) may be a stretch unless I come across some surplus funds. (like that'll ever happen <_< ) I think it would be really cool though if you could offer just some upgrade parts to the v1 owners. I think the feet especially would be worth buying as an upgrade to the kit I have already.

I will be watching this thread to see another one of our resident "masters" at work. It'll be good to see your work again.

Mike,

This time around, I wonder if you can make a re enforced mouinting point for the arms, and maybe look into making a detailed cockpit, I am in for one regardless as the v1 was nothing less than bad@ss,

I would like to see a poll in the toy section on how many people would be willing to go with a 1/60 version since the other mecha is 1/60 scale

Just an idea...

I already have a v1, so picking up another one (though that would be awesome) may be a stretch unless I come across some surplus funds. (like that'll ever happen <_< ) I think it would be really cool though if you could offer just some upgrade parts to the v1 owners. I think the feet especially would be worth buying as an upgrade to the kit I have already.

I second the idea of offering an upgrade set to V1 owners.

Regardless of what you do, keep up the great work, Mike.

Having had one of the 1.0 versions (and having to sell it to pay bills & what) I'd love to see what a 2.0 would look like.

I know there were a number of things I was to to do to it: tread detail, better barrel, behind the spade area to follow line drawings closer, etc. I'd love to see what you'd come up with, but not sure if I'd be able to afford it any time soon.