HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

Actually no it isn't. Robotech the anime took somelse's work and re-edited it according to a new script.

Sorry Gubaba, but I had to address this line here.

Cobra_,

This is incorrect. The animation in Robotech was not edited according to an actual script. Macek had the concept of what he wanted in his head and very basic outline, he then edited the animation on the fly based on that concept, The scripts and dialog were then written based on how the animation was edited. Now there were stories, scripts, and outlines for "The Sentinels" but not the original 85. This is all verifiable. The recent Greg Snegoff interview also touches on this subject.

Oh and as for the various members talkin about being banned from RT.com for voicing your opinion... How's this one I was banned from here just because someone thought I was "Pizza the Hut" and all I did was engage in a respectable discussion with a few other members. I never had an argument or negative word to say toward anyone and didnt get a negative comment directed to me personally . A friend finally helped clear up the mistake after over a year.... though I'm still burdened with the "Pizza Pizza Pizza" as my member title. I suppose that's my scarlet letter.

They had a translation done. Some of the lines from it are left over in Robotech like the Zentraedi talking about the Protoculture from Macross or Dana's brother. They also knew the characters names and made changed versions based on them. Robotech is based on the original shows in animation and story.

I can't believe the next EP is actually, seriously, not joking at all, It's You. What, is there a big extended version of it or something? Nobody cares about that song. What is the point? I hate when Tommy smokes crack.

in a nutshell that about it... I want to be all hype for this new proyect, but I just can't, I mean LLA? for real? At the very least give us all new retro-animation, make it all new, like Shadow Chronicles, but this is Robotech Untold Story 2012

Hey there, I hope you stick around on MW, we have lots of things going on over on this side of the playground. Let your disillusionment with HG and the RT brand be the springboard that dives you to the wonderful world of Macross. And I promise to try to be extra nice to you because I think we share the same surname :p

Sorry Gubaba, but I had to address this line here.

Cobra_,

This is incorrect. The animation in Robotech was not edited according to an actual script. Macek had the concept of what he wanted in his head and very basic outline, he then edited the animation on the fly based on that concept, The scripts and dialog were then written based on how the animation was edited. Now there were stories, scripts, and outlines for "The Sentinels" but not the original 85. This is all verifiable. The recent Greg Snegoff interview also touches on this subject.

Yeah, I'm with Legioss here. HG did use a translated script (which, IIRC, was later used for the subtitles of the Robotech Perfect Collection).

Otherwise, it'd be a MASSIVE ASTRONOMICAL COINCIDENCE that both Macross and Robotech have Hikaru/Rick say, "What's more important, your hair or your life?" among many, MANY other lines which are virtually identical in both.

Let your disillusionment with HG and the RT brand be the springboard that dives you to the wonderful world of Macross.

This could be a great motto for the site. I think this is how a lot of us recent posters ended up here to begin with. It's nice to be part of a community that has more than 5 members (ie rt.com).

This could be a great motto for the site. I think this is how a lot of us recent posters ended up here to begin with. It's nice to be part of a community that has more than 5 members (ie rt.com).

The big problem, of course, is that a lot of the RT fans don't come all the way... They come here because they got banned from RT.com, "and hey...Macross is kinda like Robotech's shittier younger brother, so why the hell not?"

Few of them rarely open themselves up to the wider world that Macross has to offer, and they stick to this thread and this thread alone...which is kind of a shame.

This could be a great motto for the site.

:unsure: I don't know about that.... Hence, our rules:

Please do not just come here to attack or to defend Robotech or things related to it.

The big problem, of course, is that a lot of the RT fans don't come all the way... They come here because they got banned from RT.com, "and hey...Macross is kinda like Robotech's shittier younger brother, so why the hell not?"

Few of them rarely open themselves up to the wider world that Macross has to offer, and they stick to this thread and this thread alone...which is kind of a shame.

Yes, quite a shame. Hence our rule. :)

To have a thriving community wether here or out there you need a living franchise. And Robotech as its stands now is not a living franchise, its more like a zombie. Dead yet not quite dead. You simply can't have a healthy community for a franchise that is for all pratical purposes in stasis and has been in stasis for the last 30 years. Once you express your displeasure at how HG is managing the franchise what's left to discuss ?

The community withers down because most member just go away for lack of novelty and you're left with the most intransigent, hardcore fans keeping the house.

Edited by Cobra__

TheLoneWolf makes a good point. How many members are there who post ONLY in this thread?

It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, really. RT fans who get banned from RT.com think, "Well, Macross fans care about Robotech, and complain about it, so I'll post on Macross World!" So they come here, and care, and complain...

...and pretty soon, the thread is full of ex-RT.com members, caring and complaining, so current RT.com members think that Macross fans care and complain, and the cycle continues.

Actually I'm not banned on rt.com, and I hardly ever post in this thread, and most of the time I avoid it. I've also been on this site for years going back to the lebhead days.

As for the rule this should be the only thread it doesn't apply to, mostly because the title itself calls for a debate. Not that's its much more than a one sided robotech sucks fest as it is now.

Actually I'm not banned on rt.com, and I hardly ever post in this thread, and most of the time I avoid it. I've also been on this site for years going back to the lebhead days.

Well...I wasn't talking about you... :p

As for the rule this should be the only thread it doesn't apply to, mostly because the title itself calls for a debate. Not that's its much more than a one sided robotech sucks fest as it is now.

But this is the only thread here RT fans check, and some of them seem to think it's the most active thread on the site.

They should be shown different, don't you think?

Oh, and just to give the Robotech fans a thrill... I've finished translating the first 100 pages of the Misa Hayase novel. Riber (that's Carl Riber to you Robotech fans) just died a couple of pages ago.

You'll all be pleased to know that the novel is pretty much incompatible with Robotech, since it has Misa (again, that's Lisa to the Robotech fans..."Misa" is where y'all go on Sundays, right?) growing up in Japan.

I eagerly await the "creative" fanfics to be made out of the novel, once I release it, in a month or two.

Gubaba, will you release the Japanese version too? I study Japanese and it would help.

I forget to post in the series forum because I've been busy with college and I'm just going into my senior year. Whenever I check there, a lot of the threads are things that I can't contribute to (too technical) or threads full of opinions I disagree with, usually about how they didn't like 7 or Zero. I don't hate any part of Macross, unlike some people on there, so there's nothing to complain about. I still like Sivil, still have my chunky monkeys, and the last Macross-related thing I did was buy the AnimEigo DVDs which is all I can do because I'm poor.

Edited by Legioss

Yeah, I'm with Legioss here. HG did use a translated script (which, IIRC, was later used for the subtitles of the Robotech Perfect Collection).

Otherwise, it'd be a MASSIVE ASTRONOMICAL COINCIDENCE that both Macross and Robotech have Hikaru/Rick say, "What's more important, your hair or your life?" among many, MANY other lines which are virtually identical in both.

But, but Greg Snegoff said that the original dialogue sucked

You'll all be pleased to know that the novel is pretty much incompatible with Robotech, since it has Misa (again, that's Lisa to the Robotech fans..."Misa" is where y'all go on Sundays, right?) growing up in Japan.

I eagerly await the "creative" fanfics to be made out of the novel, once I release it, in a month or two.

Are you trying to imply that there are Robotech fan's out there that take your translations and, ahem, adapt it "a la Carl Macek" into the Robotech universe? :o Talk about keeping the torch alive.

In a more serious note, I sure appreciate your efforts in translating this Macross material :) and it's a dame shame that people out there just go in and take it without giving you proper credit

I remember when I interviewed him like 5 or 6 years ago, he said that, and said it would piss off a lot of fans. More than likely, though, the translations they received were bad. RT was done for so little money, and anime dubs were pretty new at the time, so I'm sure they didn't hire a top-notch translator for the dialogue.

Besides, like all anime, they'd have to change words around to match the mouth movements.

Edit: You can also tell they had some fun with the dub, as is apparent from dialogue additions to this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Q8GxIW16I&t=7m3s

Edited by Darkwater

Gubaba, will you release the Japanese version too? I study Japanese and it would help.

Sorry...I can't unless you want to buy me a scanner and a second copy of the book. I can do bits and pieces, though, if you like.

Really...? Huh. Guess he doesn't realize that his own scripting efforts were based off of a translation, huh?

Are you trying to imply that there are Robotech fan's out there that take your translations and, ahem, adapt it "a la Carl Macek" into the Robotech universe? :o Talk about keeping the torch alive.

In a more serious note, I sure appreciate your efforts in translating this Macross material :) and it's a dame shame that people out there just go in and take it without giving you proper credit

Let me put it this way...I got to the point in the Misa novel when Prime Minister Harlan J. Niven (BEST NAME EVER!!!) was assassinated. On a whim, I Googled his name...and found it in half-a-dozen ROBOTECH timelines.

He's NOT a Robotech character...he's barely even a MACROSS character!!

I don't hate any part of Macross, unlike some people on there, so there's nothing to complain about. I still like Sivil, still have my chunky monkeys, and the last Macross-related thing I did was buy the AnimEigo DVDs which is all I can do because I'm poor.

Every franchise has its good parts and bad parts. I'm always amazed at seeing people declare they like ALL of Macross, or ALL of Gundam etc...

For me its just inconceivable. :p

As for the merchandise, I have the Animeigo Macross set, the Italian dubbed Macross set, the Italian dubbed VHS of DYRL, Macross Plus and a number of models kits I bought over the years (including Macross II models) and the Haruiko Mikimoto portfolio of the macross characters.

Books and other Macross DVD series are simply off limits since I don't understand japanese so it would be like throwing away a lot of € for something I wouldn't be able to enjoy. As for the toys its just as off limits since the price for those are simply astronomicaly stupid. A Yamato VF costs here something around 230 € and its not even made of gold. Don't get me started on the SDF-1 models that goes just under 600 €.

Really...? Huh. Guess he doesn't realize that his own scripting efforts were based off of a translation, huh?

You tell me, all I know for a fact is that too much credit is given to him.

Let me put it this way...I got to the point in the Misa novel when Prime Minister Harlan J. Niven (BEST NAME EVER!!!) was assassinated. On a whim, I Googled his name...and found it in half-a-dozen ROBOTECH timelines.

Like I said, way to go in keeping the torch of "adapting" other's people work" alive

I bet that if you ask, some Robotech fan's will tell you that this adaptation is an improvement over the original work

Edited by waters7

That's the Robotech name of council Ivano Gunther, in a Robotechnation of Macross7 Edited by Old_Nash

...On a whim, I Googled his name...and found it in half-a-dozen ROBOTECH timelines.

Really? *Does Google search*...

Well, I'll be damned. They can't even come up with their own time lines in their fanfics...Yes, I said fanfics. Feels like tossing scraps (OK...the non-edible portions) to RT fans...

Again, what I said is verifiable. Carl did not use a script when he edited the episodes. in his interview, Greg Snegoff, talks about Carl sat there with (I believe he said) three machines and edited clips together. Then once the editing was done the scripts came after. Snegoff said that they had to watch each episode over and over when working on it.

Nothing coincidedntal about it. There's no way to get around using some Macross lines. The animation pretty much dictates what can be said in most cases. I never said they didn't use Macross lines, in fact I've stated on other fourms what I said above, that the animation dictated much of what was written. Though I can't for the life of me recall Rick Hunter asking Minmay "What's more important, your hair or your life?". Where was that said in Robotech?

As far as coming to this thread... I come here from time to time more for morbid curiosity. I'm a member here because I like Macross as well but I come mainly for the Model and Custom threads. I just find it funny how SOME, not all, spend so much time bashing a cartoon. The two series, though separate universes, are ultimately akin to one another whether we like it or not. I just don't see the point wasting so much time on something that you hate so much so that a thread dedicated to it is warranted. And I don't say this as a negative slam against Macross fans, because I find it just a stupid when Robotech fans bash Macross. I've said it before and I will say it again, there is common ground for us all to get along.

I think back to MechaCon 2010 and recall how I met Macross fans and fans of all kinds of anime and what it all boiled down to was that we were all there as Fans. We were fans and not one insult was shot out because I was a Robotech fan first. Not one negative comment was shouted because I prefered Robotech to Macross. Not one negative thing was said because I have the ability to sit down and watch one and not thing about the other, but then turn around and watch the other and not think about the first. I can separate the two when I watch. If I want to watch a show about an ancient war that makes its way to Earth, I watch Macross. If I want to watch a multi-generational show about Earth at war with aliens and the power source at the core of it all, then I watch Robotech.

Oh and on a separate note... Thanks guys for having me back... and thanks to the mod or admin that finally took that "pizza pizza Pizza" stuff off my member title.

Edited by Mark Warlock

Every franchise has its good parts and bad parts. I'm always amazed at seeing people declare they like ALL of Macross, or ALL of Gundam etc...

For me its just inconceivable. :p

You keep'a usin' dat word. I don'na think it means wat you think it means.

You tell me, all I know for a fact is that too much credit is given to him.

Possibly, yes.

Like I said, way to go in keeping the torch of "adapting" other's people work" alive

I bet that if you ask, some Robotech fan's will tell you that this adaptation is an improvement over the original work

Oh, I'm sure. Those people would be MISINFORMED (to put it politely) and WRONG (to put it bluntly).

Really? *Does Google search*...

Well, I'll be damned. They can't even come up with their own time lines in their fanfics...Yes, I said fanfics. Feels like tossing scraps (OK...the non-edible portions) to RT fans...

Okay...here's some names I'll give to Robotech fans, to use as they see fit:

Orson Scott Asimov.

L. Sprague DeCarter

Isaac "Doc" Smith

Robert Anson Michael Valentine Smith

David Benford

George R. R. Bear

Satisfied, guys...?

Again, what I said is verifiable. Carl did not use a script when he edited the episodes. in his interview, Greg Snegoff, talks about Carl sat there with (I believe he said) three machines and edited clips together. Then once the editing was done the scripts came after. Snegoff said that they had to watch each episode over and over when working on it.

Nothing coincidedntal about it. There's no way to get around using some Macross lines. The animation pretty much dictates what can be said in most cases. I never said they didn't use Macross lines, in fact I've stated on other fourms what I said above, that the animation dictated much of what was written.

So..."Your hair or your life" is SUCH a common phrase that TWO people thought to use it...? How about (as other people pointed out) the use of "Protoculture." Is that a common phrase as well?

It seems to me that you're attributing more creativity to Carl Macek than is warranted, honestly.

Contrary to what RT fans want to believe, I was a Macross fan first, before I even knew about Robotech, and before I even watched a episode of Robotech, I had watched Macross by that point.

I'm curious, too. I always wondered why so many come here, thinking that the majority of people who post in this forum, actually care about the Robotech franchise. I know a few of you don't. I, for one, certainly don't, unless it means a chance at the originals coming over.

I also wonder about this Robotech: LLA show. Many of the RT fans say they don't want that, BUT, how many of you are going to buy it anyway? Does your need for Robotech outweigh your principals? I wonder how may will say "I'm not going to buy that", and the day it's released, you're one of the first in line.

[...] You'll all be pleased to know that the novel is pretty much incompatible with Robotech, since it has Misa (again, that's Lisa to the Robotech fans..."Misa" is where y'all go on Sundays, right?) growing up in Japan. [...]

So you’re implying all RT fans are catholic? That’s a very weird point you’ve brought up to this forum –not to mention it could be offensively discriminatory, but I’m sure that wasn’t your intention at all.

Anyway, looking forward to your translation! :)

So..."Your hair or your life" is SUCH a common phrase that TWO people thought to use it...? How about (as other people pointed out) the use of "Protoculture." Is that a common phrase as well?

It seems to me that you're attributing more creativity to Carl Macek than is warranted, honestly.

Umm.., Gubaba... I believe if you re-read what I stated.. You even quoted part of what I said about lines being used for both. I was not giving Macek more credit then you belive is warranted. Please re-read what I wrote.

Oh and again... What episode did Rick Hunter tell Minmay "What's more important your hair or your life?" I really don't recall that.

Edited by Mark Warlock

So you’re implying all RT fans are catholic? That’s a very weird point you’ve brought up to this forum –not to mention it could be offensively discriminatory, but I’m sure that wasn’t your intention at all.

Not trying to be offensive...just quoting one of the Robotech fans who showed up here recently.

(I feel a certain entitlement because his response when I joined RTX was, "What the frakk are you doing here?" [Except, erm, he didn't say "frakk;" he said a MUCH RUDER word.] I wasn't anywhere near as rude when he joined this site, so I've got to embarrass him SOMEhow... :p )

Anyway, looking forward to your translation! :)

Thank you! I look forward to delivering it!

Edited by Gubaba

I also wonder about this Robotech: LLA show. Many of the RT fans say they don't want that, BUT, how many of you are going to buy it anyway? Does your need for Robotech outweigh your principals? I wonder how may will say "I'm not going to buy that", and the day it's released, you're one of the first in line.

As a Robotech fan I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm a Robotech fan and I'll pick it up and add it to my collection. Whether that makes me a "robotech tard" as SOME Macross fans would call me.... Well then so be it. But I'm a fan of Robotech even if it sucks.

Edited by Mark Warlock

It was so long ago I can't remember why I joined...but will say its been great meeting everyone here.

For ages after seeing RT as a kid I wondered not only about Macross but also Southern Cross and Mospeada. The immense wealth of knowledge I've been able to tap here is amazing.

This particular thread is funny at times, forehead smacking, rolling eyes too...but all in all this is not the end all be all of MW. If you pay a visit to the toy section you'll be buying a Valk eventually, I did.

Read enough threads about M7 and its actually something worth watching...to at least expand your mind in Macross lore...Macross II (represent! lol) Macross Zero, Macross Frontier...I mean come on, there is so much to talk about...and actually so much to look forward to. Anyways, my Macross rah-rah rant is done.

Edited by Zor Primus

I'm curious, too. I always wondered why so many come here, thinking that the majority of people who post in this forum, actually care about the Robotech franchise. I know a few of you don't. I, for one, certainly don't, unless it means a chance at the originals coming over.

Oh c'mon bashing on HG is a national / international game.

You can't do that on the offical nazi-lead forums, and since this forum has had over the years threads DEDICATED to bashing HG what did you think would happen ?

Well I for one am not buying. In fact I haven't even bought one copy of Robotech on VHS or DVD. I remember the anime from the mid eighties and it was ok. What I really like were the novels and those I have. Its enough. If new Robotech isn't on par with modern standards animation and story telling wise I will not give them a single €. In fact I haven't even bought Shadow Chronicles since it was a pos. But then according to certain people I'm not a true robotech fan so what do I know anyway. :lol:

[...] Oh and again... What episode did Rick Hunter tell Minmay "What's more important your hair or your life?" I really don't recall that.

You can’t recall that because it actually doesn’t appear in the RT show, but you can find it at RT.com presented as “Lost Footage”. Of course, that kind of invalidates Gubaba’s point :p

http://www.robotech....item.php?id=212

http://www.robotech....item.php?id=211

Edited by Reïvaj