Macross Mecha Manual Updated

Domain expired on the 13th. Set your host file or have an A-record put into your local DNS server (if applicable) to 66.49.161.243 and it will work. Just tested it and I can browse the whole site.

TTL was 86400, which is 24 hours for the DNS change to propagate through the Internet. Then you'd have had caching. I didn't realize there was so much here. You guys are saying you have all of this already archived? I'ma about to let loose the dogs of wget.

Domain expired on the 13th. Set your host file or have an A-record put into your local DNS server (if applicable) to 66.49.161.243 and it will work. Just tested it and I can browse the whole site.

it's up, you just have to tell your computer how to look for it.

And how do you do that? :lol:

See: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=830390 (this thread, 3 or 4 posts up)

Also: tried google?

I asked, but also previously quoted the part I don't understand: "set your host file or have an A-record put into your local DNS server (if applicable) to 66.49.161.243" ^_^

Remember my mother tounge isn't English either so there's some jargon that inevitably eludes me :lol:

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

Ahh, ok.

Try copy-and-pasting the following into your browser address bar: http://66.49.161.243/Index2.html

The trick is to keep using the 66.49.161.243 in all the subsequent links.

Though, this raises a new question: how long will the content remain on the host server? As once the data is overwritten...

Thank you very much!!!! You're the man!!!

It works fine for me now B))

If Mr March needs web space I can provide it from my page, but how to host it it's up to him. I pay my web designer to do all the fancy stuff, the most I know is to access the /backend :lol:

Though, this raises a new question: how long will the content remain on the host server? As once the data is overwritten...

It depends on when the host account expires. A domain can expire before an account with a web hosting company expires and vice versa. We'll know when the host account expires when either the account owners say so or when the content no longer exists. Standard practice is to reimage (i.e., reformat/reinstall the OS and reinstall Apache) the after the account expires.

Ahh, ok.

Try copy-and-pasting the following into your browser address bar: http://66.49.161.243/Index2.html

The trick is to keep using the 66.49.161.243 in all the subsequent links.

That's the painful way. If you're using Mac OS X Leopard or higher, just edit /etc/hosts (need to sudo to save).

For Windows XP:

http://accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html

For Windows Vista:

Either way, SOMEONE needs to host this stuff before it disappears for good, and it needs to be done soon. Also, how the **** are you people downloading the site into your hard drives?!

I'm contemplating setting up a mirror for it on one of my domains... I'll probably do that in the next day or so if all goes well, assuming I don't hear back from Mr March.

I'm contemplating setting up a mirror for it on one of my domains... I'll probably do that in the next day or so if all goes well, assuming I don't hear back from Mr March.

You work on the Macross II page. Maybe I'll mirror this instead. :D

Either way, SOMEONE needs to host this stuff before it disappears for good, and it needs to be done soon. Also, how the **** are you people downloading the site into your hard drives?!

-Kyp

WINHTT is what I use.

I'm downloading the site now. at 250MB right now.

Hello again everyone. I can see from all the unread Private Messages here in my inbox and activity in this thread that many have questions and concerns about the Macross Mecha Manual during my absence. I'll try to answer as much as I can, but please be patient with me during this busy time.

Firstly, I'm definitely interested in maintaining the Macross Mecha Manual online. The whole point of the site was, updated or not, the content was to remain up as an online archive for as long as I was alive. I was aware that my current home for the M3 was going offline this year. However, I was told I had until the end of this month to find a new home. It appears the domain has expired much earlier than the end of February and the site has gone down faster than I had anticipated. As a result I'm being flooded with e-mails and e-mail notices from concerned visitors on forums all across the net. I suppose I'm to blame for initially advertising the M3 as widely as I did, lol :) Nonetheless, the response is nice to hear and I'm glad everyone cares this much about the website.

Second, I have been sent notices from several people offering to host the M3. Thank you all very much for the offers of support. I will definitely be taking one of you up on these offers. Discussions are currently in the works and hopefully this will result in the M3 returning online sooner rather than later.

Thirdly, I am of course aware updates to the M3 have slowed. This is due to my real life demands (awaits inevitable collective groan). However, there is a silver lining. Before life demanded my attention elsewhere I had created a substantial amount of new/updated material to add to the M3 (which a few of you were already aware). I just haven't had the time and/or motivation to update the M3 website. If I can arrange a new home for the M3 online, it will come back online WITH all the new material from the postponed update included. The majority of the update includes new material for the Macross II section and a site-wide revision of virtually ALL black & white line art (improved scans, collated pictures in fewer files, previously unreleased line art and other improvements). The update also includes new Macross Chronicle trivia and numerous color corrections/revisions to existing mecha.

Lastly, I'd like to ask you all to help spread word about this post of mine to any concerned fans. It would really help me if we could distill all the e-mails and notices with questions/concerns to a few threads like this one on websites such as here at Macross World, the MAHQ or Gearsonline. Sadly I've been gone from all those forums as long as I have been from Macross World, so I might not post there. If I can locate my passwords for those other forums, I will log in and re-post this notice. Digressing, if you can help me funnel all the online communication into a few designated spots, it would really help. Right now there's simply too many e-mails for me to respond to in a timely fashion.

Thank you again for all your help and interest in the Macross Mecha Manual. I'm working to get the M3 sorted out as soon as I can. With luck, it'll be back soon and better than ever. During this transition period, I'll be visiting Macross World regularly again and will post in this thread with the latest information. So please make sure to check this thread first for any news about the current situation with the M3. Thanks again.

Thank you for the warm welcome back everyone. Also a special thanks to all that offered help. I will properly thank and credit you all soon.

Bad news first: the website isn't back up yet :)

Good news: I've accepted an offer for server space from Seto Kaiba. I've tested some uploads and the server is functioning well. As soon as I upload the website again, it should be good to go. The M3 was left a work-in-progress the last time I touched it, which was about 8-10 months ago. So I'm in the middle of performing many housekeeping duties to make the site presentable prior to upload. I'm not doing any more new material than what was previously completed as unreleased updates, just removing all the "work notes" within profiles, finishing the writing on new Macross Chronicle trivia that was left halfway done and correcting a few links/pictures.

All I need now is time to work on it. I might get a chance to finish and upload the whole website today, but we'll see. Regardless, please be aware that things are moving quickly and within a few days at most all should be back to normal. I apologize for any inconvenience and thank you all for your patience.

Edited by Mr March

WINHTT is what I use.

I'm downloading the site now. at 250MB right now.

googled around for details on WINHTT and Scrapbook but have some questions still:

- can WINHTT follow links to other websites and download them as well? eg. forum thread has links to external image hosting site like photobucket

- is it possible to download just a forum thread instead of the whole website?

- after Scrapbooks saves the website to the harddrive, can it be moved to a different machine? can it be viewed with Internet Explorer?

- anyone know of a program that saves websites into hyperlinked PDF? heard Adobe Acrobat does it, but it's not free

thanks

Well, by way of an update, the old Macross Mecha Manual location (http://66.49.161.243/Index2.html) is now 100% inaccessible... it says that account's been suspended. The new location is just waiting on Mr March to finish uploading everything to it. Once he does, either he or I will post a link. If all goes to plan, the new location will be available for around six months until I get my new site set up, and once that's done we'll have a new permanent home for M3. I'll maintain the interim location he's uploading to right now for about the next six months or so in any case.

Right now, all that's uploaded is the main portal to the site. I think he's still doing housekeeping and updates on his working copy.