Gundam thunderbolt anime announced!

seti88

But there's supposed to be ONE Gundam during the OYW, and it's the one Amuro has. 0080 fudges it by having a new Gundam being tested on a colony. 08th MS Team completely screws with continuity by having mass-produced Gundams. If you add in the mangas and games, there are apparently dozens of Gundams flitting about, which simply doesn't square with the original series/movies.

I hear that argument a lot, and I'll even grant that some of it (like the Gundams in the 08th MS) play fast and loose with continuity. But, while definitely a prototype (the RGM-79 is the real MP version of the RX-78, after all), Amuro's Gundam was never the only one. Even if we ignore the Gundams 4-7 as unofficial variations, Amuro's Gundam was always the second one, and the RX-78-3 was always in Tomino's original novels.

And in hindsight, despite early Gundam episodes playing up how much more powerful the Gundam is than a Zaku, the series also introduced plenty of new Zeon MS and MAs. By the end of the series, it's made very clear that it's NOT the Gundam that's special, it's Amuro. With that in mind, I don't really have a problem with there being more Gundams during the OYW (although I don't think a Gundam is necessary for a OYW story). And, while the crew of the White Base were obviously key players in the Federation's eventual victory, their story is ultimately that of a single ship in the final few months of the OYW. Other units, fighting in battles that the White Base did and did not participate in, may not have been as important, but telling their stories can simultaneously increase and focus the scope of the OYW.

Now, don't get me wrong. My statement that you quoted was obviously exaggerated for comedic effect. I do strongly prefer UC Gundam to the various alternate timelines, but I honestly think there are more stories to be told by filling in the gaps between the OYW and the Gryps War, the First Neo Zeon War and the Second Neo Zeon War, and the Second Neo Zeon War and F91 (something Unicorn did brilliantly!). Heck, even between F91 and Victory (again, I'd love to see Crossbone animated!). But, I think that there are probably still plenty of great stories that can be set during the OYW, so when something like Thunderbolt comes along my reaction leans more toward "Yay, more UC Gundam!" than "ugh, another OYW story?"

It's easier to set stuff during the OYW since everyone knows the story setting by now and that makes it a guaranteed sell. Poor Crossbone has a big hill to climb to get made into a series/OVA, set between F91 and Victory with characters no one remembers from F91. Also has pirates, no one cares about pirates anymore.

Thunderbolt is pretty good though so I'm not too sad we are getting that story animated, maybe someone will take a chance and animate Sentinel to start milking the Zeta- ZZ timeline.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I hear that argument a lot, and I'll even grant that some of it (like the Gundams in the 08th MS) play fast and loose with continuity. But, while definitely a prototype (the RGM-79 is the real MP version of the RX-78, after all), Amuro's Gundam was never the only one. Even if we ignore the Gundams 4-7 as unofficial variations, Amuro's Gundam was always the second one, and the RX-78-3 was always in Tomino's original novels.

And in hindsight, despite early Gundam episodes playing up how much more powerful the Gundam is than a Zaku, the series also introduced plenty of new Zeon MS and MAs. By the end of the series, it's made very clear that it's NOT the Gundam that's special, it's Amuro. With that in mind, I don't really have a problem with there being more Gundams during the OYW (although I don't think a Gundam is necessary for a OYW story). And, while the crew of the White Base were obviously key players in the Federation's eventual victory, their story is ultimately that of a single ship in the final few months of the OYW. Other units, fighting in battles that the White Base did and did not participate in, may not have been as important, but telling their stories can simultaneously increase and focus the scope of the OYW.

Now, don't get me wrong. My statement that you quoted was obviously exaggerated for comedic effect. I do strongly prefer UC Gundam to the various alternate timelines, but I honestly think there are more stories to be told by filling in the gaps between the OYW and the Gryps War, the First Neo Zeon War and the Second Neo Zeon War, and the Second Neo Zeon War and F91 (something Unicorn did brilliantly!). Heck, even between F91 and Victory (again, I'd love to see Crossbone animated!). But, I think that there are probably still plenty of great stories that can be set during the OYW, so when something like Thunderbolt comes along my reaction leans more toward "Yay, more UC Gundam!" than "ugh, another OYW story?"

wow, that was a really thought out and well written post. UC baby!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

• 1 month later...