All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I beat Atlas and Royal Ripeness with I think four of the six roles maxed before finishing the game.

Sort of did the same, but with higher stats. Got my ass handed to me fighting the three dragons in the final fight, and decided to do some grinding. Figured I'd test my strength against a non-weakened Royal Ripeness, and voila, a paradox ending.

Sort of did the same, but with higher stats. Got my ass handed to me fighting the three dragons in the final fight, and decided to do some grinding. Figured I'd test my strength against a non-weakened Royal Ripeness, and voila, a paradox ending.

By the time I got to the end of the game, Serah and Noel were maxed out on all six roles, making the three dragons and Caius a cakewalk. I almost always wind up maxing my characters before I reach the end of Final Fantasy games.

What'd they do to Hitomi's face?

I'll be happy if they did away with the wacky boob-motion programming that they featured in the last DOA. I don't need Tecmo and their independently gyrating and jiggling breasts to remind me that I think about mammary glands all day...

By the time I got to the end of the game, Serah and Noel were maxed out on all six roles, making the three dragons and Caius a cakewalk. I almost always wind up maxing my characters before I reach the end of Final Fantasy games.

Caius was never a problem, but the three dragons were a pain in the ass. The first time through, I was sort of underleveled, having only maxed COM and RAV, and another two skills. My monster was a level 20-something chichu. I hadn't even realized the strength increases for the paradox weapons were incremental depending on the amount of fragments. Kept sticking to the less powerful weapons until I started reading some walkthroughs.

Strangely, the only time I ever maxed all my characters in a FF game before reaching the end was FFX. For some reason, I just kept grinding at the Machina desert, and the next thing I knew, all my characters were maxed.

I'll be happy if they did away with the wacky boob-motion programming that they featured in the last DOA. I don't need Tecmo and their independently gyrating and jiggling breasts to remind me that I think about mammary glands all day...

Honestly, even those so-called individual breast physics couldn't get me to buy a DOA game. An effective otaku-bait, but not for casual gamers like me. There's just something about the game I don't like, and it's bad enough that even CG titties couldn't endear me to it.

Edited by GU-11

Actually it's kind of funny, maybe because I was playing on the easy mode for the first time through.. the intro Caius battle on the airship was just nasty the first time I tried it, so I went back to level up a few roles. Killed off a couple of the bosses in Archylte Steppe, and got enough CP to max a few roles from those alone.

When I came back, I blew through the three dragons easier than I did the intro battle. Generally, each of the two side dragons took one stagger cycle to kill off, then I'd get the main one down about 1/4 before they'd respawn, so about 4 cycles to finish. They never got to do the triple beam, and actually, I only had one time when they got two beams off.

I didn't play around much with the monsters though, and stuck with the same paradigms nearly the entire game, just alternating between two ravagers and a healing pet, and two commandos with the same pet. I'd switch to buffing/debuffing mode from time to time, but usually just focused on fast staggers, and fast damage.

I did set one paradigm for 3 healers, and taught everyone raise though as a backup to save on phoenix down though. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

Actually it's kind of funny, maybe because I was playing on the easy mode for the first time through.. the intro Caius battle on the airship was just nasty the first time I tried it, so I went back to level up a few roles. Killed off a couple of the bosses in Archylte Steppe, and got enough CP to max a few roles from those alone.

When I came back, I blew through the three dragons easier than I did the intro battle. Generally, each of the two side dragons took one stagger cycle to kill off, then I'd get the main one down about 1/4 before they'd respawn, so about 4 cycles to finish. They never got to do the triple beam, and actually, I only had one time when they got two beams off.

I didn't play around much with the monsters though, and stuck with the same paradigms nearly the entire game, just alternating between two ravagers and a healing pet, and two commandos with the same pet. I'd switch to buffing/debuffing mode from time to time, but usually just focused on fast staggers, and fast damage.

I did set one paradigm for 3 healers, and taught everyone raise though as a backup to save on phoenix down though. ^_^

I went for normal mode all the way. I notice that the key to killing bosses in FFXIII-2 is to hit them hard and fast. The longer the fight drags, the more annoying it gets when the bosses heal themselves and do all sorts of buffs and debuffs.

As for healing monsters, IMO Flanitor reigns supreme. Sure his HP sucks, but infuse him with a couple of Pulse gladiators [sEN] for their HP+ 25%, and he's one of your best healers. His feral attack has proven to be a life saver time and time again. And yeah, raise is a good skill to learn for healer pets and human characters alike.

The thing I totally adore about FFXIII-2 is that unlike the original game, they don't put a ceiling on your leveling. If a boss gives you trouble, just grind until you're strong enough. I remember taking almost 4 hours to defeat Orphan.

Honestly, RPG fights shouldn't be a pain to complete. It's not like a fighting game where you can harness your skills through practice.

Edited by GU-11

Yeah, I'm usually more on the "forget fighting/leveling, get on with the story" side, but if It makes things go easier, I'll find a nice grinding spot, and level for a while before moving on, or if it's feasible, just max out everything early, and enjoy the ride.

With FFXIII, I hit a particular point on the way to Oerba with a sidepath that would repeatedly spawn large groups of mechs, and mostly I was just exploring for treasure. But when I realized that a combination of a preemptive strike and a wide aoe thunder attack generally resulted in a 5-10 second battle with about 5k CP reward, I stayed there grinding until I maxed out my main roles. The item drops were all high value components for weapon upgrades as well, so I maxed them out too.

When I got to the end after that, the final boss sequence was much less painful than most of the enemies in the Cradle area (the Tetris Dimension :p). After finally unlocking the shop that sold them, I blew most of my money on items to get past the enemies there, because they just took too long.

Course, grinding early can have funny effects on some games. When I played the .hack//GU games, the first thing I did was grind through shorter dungeons 5 levels higher than I was, until I hit the level cap for the games (50, 100, and 150 for the three parts). It went surprisingly fast too. When I started playing the actual storyline, it got really funny, because I'd be party wiping the enemy arena teams on the first attack. Even more silly though were the plot battles that you have to lose, because I'd knock them down to 1 hp in a single attack, then a cutscene would play where they beat me. :lol:

FFXIII is a pain to do level grinding, thanks to that stupid cap they placed on the crystarium. Instead of making things challenging, it just annoyed me.

Yeah, the Cradle has plenty of good enemies to grind. Biggest problem is that post-game, you have to re-enter the place every time for the enemies to respawn. I needed a ton of perfumes to sell for the gil to get weapons components--if I had known, I'd have hoarded a ton of it in my first playthrough.

Course, grinding early can have funny effects on some games. When I played the .hack//GU games, the first thing I did was grind through shorter dungeons 5 levels higher than I was, until I hit the level cap for the games (50, 100, and 150 for the three parts). It went surprisingly fast too. When I started playing the actual storyline, it got really funny, because I'd be party wiping the enemy arena teams on the first attack. Even more silly though were the plot battles that you have to lose, because I'd knock them down to 1 hp in a single attack, then a cutscene would play where they beat me. :lol:

LOL! Yeah, it happens in certain games. It happens even in action games like Devil May Cry [the later ones, at least] or Dynasty Warriors 7--you're all leveled up and godlike, and you kill a boss with a mere couple of swipes, and then the game cuts to an FMV where you're leaning against your weapon in exhaustion.

Oh, once you get to the endgame, or near it, there's one quest in the Archaeopolis area that's easy to repeat for tons of gil. It's that one quest against an Undying, and always gives a guaranteed 5 bomb cores as a reward. The first time you hit it, it might be tough, but once you're leveled up enough to finish the game, that battle is a snap. You can just spam the mission over and over for good upgrade components, or sell them off.

I just found the groups of bots and trapehezoid things in the area with that burrowing Fal'Cie to be much easier, since they tended to drop lots of high tech upgrade items, and give lots of cp for very little effort/time.

Blatantly copy-pasting from Neogaf, but have you seen the music composers list for Kid Icarus: Uprising?

Motoi Sakuraba: Tales of, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Baten Kaitos, Dark Souls, Golden Sun

Yuzo Koshiro: Streets of Rage, ActRaiser, Shinobi, Etrian Odyssey

Masafumi Takada: Killer7, No More Heroes, God Hand

Noriyuki Iwadare: Lunar, Grandia, Radiata Stories

Yasunori Mitsuda: Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, Shadow Hearts

Mitsuda alone would make it incredible, but adding in the composers of Grandia, ActRaiser, and Valkyrie Profile?

Iwadare, Mitsuda, and Sakuraba all in one soundtrack? Sold.

I didn't even care about Kid Icarus until just now.

As far as monsters go in XIII-2, I pretty much used only 3 monsters for most of the game. Green Chocobo for my MED, Dragoon for my COM, and the Silver Chocobo for SEN. I don't even remember what monsters I used before I obtained those three.

The only battle that gave me any problems was Yomi, I think. I was able to beat it, but it took me about an hour to do so, instead of the 15 minute target time.

Oh, once you get to the endgame, or near it, there's one quest in the Archaeopolis area that's easy to repeat for tons of gil. It's that one quest against an Undying, and always gives a guaranteed 5 bomb cores as a reward. The first time you hit it, it might be tough, but once you're leveled up enough to finish the game, that battle is a snap. You can just spam the mission over and over for good upgrade components, or sell them off.

I just found the groups of bots and trapehezoid things in the area with that burrowing Fal'Cie to be much easier, since they tended to drop lots of high tech upgrade items, and give lots of cp for very little effort/time.

It's been a while since I last played FFXIII; eventually got tired of the pointless post-game level grinding and futilely trying to upgrade my weapons. Was trying to get the wallpapers unlocked, but gave up after I got my hands on Deus Ex HR.

In any case, Archeopolis...is that the garden-like place just before you enter the Cradle? I remember that's also a good place to get gil, but I;m not sure if you still need to re-enter it to respawn enemies post-game.

As far as monsters go in XIII-2, I pretty much used only 3 monsters for most of the game. Green Chocobo for my MED, Dragoon for my COM, and the Silver Chocobo for SEN. I don't even remember what monsters I used before I obtained those three.

The only battle that gave me any problems was Yomi, I think. I was able to beat it, but it took me about an hour to do so, instead of the 15 minute target time.

I'd recommend switching Dragoon for Chichu. Sure he looks like a walnut/testicle, but properly leveled and infused, he's a killing machine. Green chocobo does have some advantages over Flanitor, but in a pinch, Flanitor's feral attack healing move [don't remember the name] will give you an instant and complete restoration of health. That move's saved me quite a few times when I was in a pinch.

Presently, I'm still figuring how to take down Long Gui, and I've no delusions of trying to kill Yomi. Hell, I even got beat by Tonberry. Gonna have to search gamefaqs for strategies.

I've finally met my match in this game. Fighting Caius with only Serah and monsters in the Void Beyond trying to get one of the Paradox Endings. I spent an hour fighting him only to have him get lucky and manage to kill me right when I almost had him dead. It's a pretty frustrating two-part fight made difficult by the fact that Caius often casts about five buffs on himself (including one that gives him regen) and the fact that he can break chains even when staggered.

I've finally met my match in this game. Fighting Caius with only Serah and monsters in the Void Beyond trying to get one of the Paradox Endings. I spent an hour fighting him only to have him get lucky and manage to kill me right when I almost had him dead. It's a pretty frustrating two-part fight made difficult by the fact that Caius often casts about five buffs on himself (including one that gives him regen) and the fact that he can break chains even when staggered.

I might have a solution for that. Start with Serah as a Saboteur and a pair her with a Sentinel monster. Keep casting Poison on him until it sticks, and then debuffs and/or Dispel. Switch to healer for Serah with a Sentinel monster if you and your pet SEN are low on HP, before reverting to SAB/SEN. Try to max out your SAB role to make it easier for Poison to stick.

Yeah, it is much harder with the Paradox Scope activated, but by poisoning him, you don't have to deal with his chain break.

BTW, he doesn't get any easier when you try to get the paradox ending in Dying World. It was the first time I was forced to use an Elixir. With Noel, though, I just went with Commando all the way, since he was completely maxed out, with 140+ fragments using Odinblade. Still, it was a very close fight. Damaging Caius isn't the real problem; it's that he deals so much damage back to Noel that I had a hard time dividing my turns between healing potions and hitting him as he regenerated.

At a certain point, maybe around 1/4 to 1/3 of Caius' HP remaining, I had to use an elixir to fully heal, and bring the pain to him with Noel's special attack [don't recall the name.] Barely managed to take him down.

FYI, the strategy of using Poison is something I read about from a walkthrough in Gamefaqs.

Edited by GU-11

Sorry, the Archaopolis is actually the city you revisit in FFXIII-2, where you meet Hope. The first time you see it in XIII, it's like a high-tech ruin, with pieces of buildings and such strewn about, along with a few of what look like cars. The surrounding map area is definitely the same for XIII-2 (at least within the city area), it's just been rebuilt quite a bit, and the area with the Cie'th stones were has a building over it. I don't think the rest of the map lines up anymore, because that used to be connected via a long winding mountain path to the Archylte Steppe, near where the airship crashed.

The only thing that really remains in XIII-2 is the row of columns, which used to have the mission stone located in it. Doing that mission will get you the 5 bomb cores every time, which are great upgrade materials.

Or, you could just resort to killing adamantoises.. what I read as a general money making method is to use Vanille as a saboteur, and just have her use her "Death" skill repeatedly. It's not always instant death, but it still does lots of damage when it doesn't work, and can make it easy to farm high level missions for their rewards. I've been meaning to try this myself, but haven't gotten around to it since I've been absorbed with part II.

Edited by Chronocidal

I might have a solution for that. Start with Serah as a Saboteur and a pair her with a Sentinel monster. Keep casting Poison on him until it sticks, and then debuffs and/or Dispel. Switch to healer for Serah with a Sentinel monster if you and your pet SEN are low on HP, before reverting to SAB/SEN. Try to max out your SAB role to make it easier for Poison to stick.

That was the strategy I was using. Caius somehow managed to get lucky and killed me while I was healing. The frustrating part was the fact that I had him within a few hits of beating him a few times. I think my mistake when he killed me was the fact that I let protect and shell stay down too long. All my roles are maxed out, so it's not an issue of me not being strong enough. Most of my damage to Caius was through poison and wound, with the occasional bursts of Serah's RAV abilities when he was close to stagger.

Long gui was actually pretty easy. The key to beating him was to switch to 3 sentinels when he is about to use quake or ultima.

Sorry, the Archaopolis is actually the city you revisit in FFXIII-2, where you meet Hope. The first time you see it in XIII, it's like a high-tech ruin, with pieces of buildings and such strewn about, along with a few of what look like cars. The surrounding map area is definitely the same for XIII-2 (at least within the city area), it's just been rebuilt quite a bit, and the area with the Cie'th stones were has a building over it. I don't think the rest of the map lines up anymore, because that used to be connected via a long winding mountain path to the Archylte Steppe, near where the airship crashed.

The only thing that really remains in XIII-2 is the row of columns, which used to have the mission stone located in it. Doing that mission will get you the 5 bomb cores every time, which are great upgrade materials.

Or, you could just resort to killing adamantoises.. what I read as a general money making method is to use Vanille as a saboteur, and just have her use her "Death" skill repeatedly. It's not always instant death, but it still does lots of damage when it doesn't work, and can make it easy to farm high level missions for their rewards. I've been meaning to try this myself, but haven't gotten around to it since I've been absorbed with part II.

Ah, I think I remember now. It's that place where the Goblins [boxer-looking things with the holes in their stomachs] are, right?

The Adamantioses are a pain. I tried several times, and of the few times I actually killed one, I couldn't get any adamantites. Heheh, besides, those little squeals from Vanille was kind of irritating, but you really need her around when trying to take those damn overgrown turtles out. Strangely, I couldn't get Vanille's death to land most of the time. The only time I lucked out was when I fought the Ochu. Or was it Neochu? Anyway, the much tougher, um...`Chu.

That was the strategy I was using. Caius somehow managed to get lucky and killed me while I was healing. The frustrating part was the fact that I had him within a few hits of beating him a few times. I think my mistake when he killed me was the fact that I let protect and shell stay down too long. All my roles are maxed out, so it's not an issue of me not being strong enough. Most of my damage to Caius was through poison and wound, with the occasional bursts of Serah's RAV abilities when he was close to stagger.

Long gui was actually pretty easy. The key to beating him was to switch to 3 sentinels when he is about to use quake or ultima.

I guess either I got real lucky when I killed Cauis, or you were unlucky. I never bothered buffing Serah or the SEN. In fact, I didn't hit him with any attacks. During the last two-thirds of his HP, I basically just stayed in the medic role after sticking Poison and healed every time he hit. Can't recall if I got 5 stars, but I basically let the Poison do its work, and emphasized on staying alive.

As for Long Gui, it got frustrating when my attacks hardly even put a dent on his HP bar without stagger--even his leg had massive HP. Got royally annoyed after getting the whole team killed when he used Ultima, and ignored him after that.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the 3 SEN thing. I was toying around with the idea of trying that, but never bothered. maybe I'll try it again.

Edited by GU-11

BTW, thanks for the tip on the 3 SEN thing. I was toying around with the idea of trying that, but never bothered. maybe I'll try it again.

You're quite welcome, it definitely keeps you alive. I was actually able to get the trophy for doing 99,999 damage during my fight with long gui. Funny thing was, I wasn't even actively trying to get it, so I was quite surprised when I got the notification.

You're quite welcome, it definitely keeps you alive. I was actually able to get the trophy for doing 99,999 damage during my fight with long gui. Funny thing was, I wasn't even actively trying to get it, so I was quite surprised when I got the notification.

99,999 damage?! What freakishly godlike weapon were you using? DLC?

I was about to try that triple SEN strategy later when I read your post. How on earth do you do that kind of damage on practically the most thick-skinned monster in the freaking game?

99,999 damage?! What freakishly godlike weapon were you using? DLC?

I was about to try that triple SEN strategy later when I read your post. How on earth do you do that kind of damage on practically the most thick-skinned monster in the freaking game?

Noel had Odinblade and Serah had Odinbolt when i fought long gui. None of the DLC weapons are all that powerful. I didn't even see when the 99,999 damage happened (probably on stagger). I just saw heard the trophy chime and initially thought that it was for defeating long gui. It wasn't until I checked my trophies that I learned that I had gotten the one for 99,999 damage.

Wait... What?

Ok, you know, that's actually something I would buy for the laughs. I'm just weirded out by the cross genre/company references.

Course.. it actually makes sense in a weird sort of way.

I mean.. could be just another time paradox. ^_^

Actually, now that I think of it.. those paradoxes caused so much weirdness, you could probably explain away almost anything appearing in the game.

Now I'm picturing the game going cross universe with Chrono Trigger/Cross, and having Lavos drop in, on top of having Adam pull the Borg into Academia... right before Richard Dean Anderson pops through a gate, and rigs the whole place to explode with a gum wrapper and some duct tape. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

Noel had Odinblade and Serah had Odinbolt when i fought long gui. None of the DLC weapons are all that powerful. I didn't even see when the 99,999 damage happened (probably on stagger). I just saw heard the trophy chime and initially thought that it was for defeating long gui. It wasn't until I checked my trophies that I learned that I had gotten the one for 99,999 damage.

How many fragments did you have? I might as well try to get 99,999 damage that trophy while I'm at it. Still having fun with my third Deus Ex HR playthrough, but I'll revisit FFXIII-2 soon.

Nah, see both games are going to have a single unified ultra-DLC "real" ending. Where Shepard and the Farrons team up to defeat the Reapers...

Please don't tempt Toriyama.

How many fragments did you have? I might as well try to get 99,999 damage that trophy while I'm at it. Still having fun with my third Deus Ex HR playthrough, but I'll revisit FFXIII-2 soon.

I believe I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 130+ fragments. I'll have to try fighting him again now that I have all 160 fragments. I haven't even acquired Serah and Noel's ultimate weapons yet, as I don't have all the materials to do so.

I did finally beat Caius. To do it, I just concentrated on keeping him poisoned/debuffed and myself healed and totally gave up on trying to damage through other means.

So in a desperate gambit to derail the FF13 babble for a little while, I pose a question...

Does anyone need more Wing Commander? Because there is some. REAL Wing Commander, none of this arcade shooter nonsense. And it's FREE.

http://www.wcsaga.com/news-archive-2012/the-darkest-dawn-is-cleared-for-launch.html

Really surprised EA hasn't sent these guys a cease and desist letter at some point over the last decade, but there you have it.

So in a desperate gambit to derail the FF13 babble for a little while, I pose a question...

Does anyone need more Wing Commander? Because there is some. REAL Wing Commander, none of this arcade shooter nonsense. And it's FREE.

http://www.wcsaga.co...for-launch.html

Really surprised EA hasn't sent these guys a cease and desist letter at some point over the last decade, but there you have it.

The only Wing Commander I ever played was the Sega CD port of the original. Used to love that game, and do playthrough's of trying to take out every single Kilrathi that moved without running. It was always rewarding to limp back to the Tiger's Claw with barely one functioning weapon, no shields, tore up engines, etc. And always hilarious taking out one of the Kilrathi carriers in the same condition, just popping away at it with my last functioning weapon for 10+ minutes. Ace Combat (pre-Assault Horizon) is the cloest thing I ever found to that.

Edited by Keith

Played the 2nd and some of the expansions, then the first. First one was hard in some ways, as the speed of the game did NOT scale with the CPU! So if your PC was significantly more powerful than what the game was designed around--whew! Things happened fast!

The only Wing Commander that I played was IV, I think, if that's the one that they released on the Playstation.

Both Wing Commander III & IV were released on the playstation. It was a real awkward time when my parents walked in on me playing and Ginger Lynn was on the screen.

Parents: "What are you watching? Where did you get that? You're too young to be watching her!"

Me: "Its just a video game see, and how do you know who Ginger Lynn is? Is she famous?"

Both Wing Commander III & IV were released on the playstation. It was a real awkward time when my parents walked in on me playing and Ginger Lynn was on the screen.

Parents: "What are you watching? Where did you get that? You're too young to be watching her!"

Me: "Its just a video game see, and how do you know who Ginger Lynn is? Is she famous?"

lol.

Always been a huge WC fan, since a cousin gave me the old WCI disks to install on an old computer we had. Played through WCI-III, but never bothered to try IV or Prophecy. I might have to some day. I grew up on these games, and the change to full textured 3D in WCIII was mindblowing. It's still my favorite of the three.

I've played Freespace I and II as well, but always preferred the more personal stories in WC. Freespace is a great sim, and the engine has some amazing possibilities (anyone play the "Beyond the Red Line" demo that was released? if you haven't, DO IT), but I always loved how up close and personal the WC universe was. The ship designs too.. Freespace had some good ones, but I always found myself building LEGO WC ships. ^_^

These days though, I've gotten spoiled rotten by more modern things like X-Wing Alliance, and other military sims that use a full 3D cockpit. Freespace always bugged me with the HUD only viewpoint, and no real point of reference for side views, while WC and the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series always offered views out the actual cockpit. These days, I tend to fly mostly using a padlock-view to track my target, so the old games feel weird.

I've been quietly plotting a concept for a new X-Wing game in my spare time for years now (to sum it up quickly: party-based, tactical rpg space combat sim), and if I ever get into game development, I'll be pitching it to LucasArts, but I honestly don't know if they even care about those games anymore. You'd think over the years the demand for a new one would build up, but I think the lackluster reception of Alliance convinced them to ignore the franchise. I'd love to bring some of the old fun of those games back, and the hardware today could probably push the series much closer to the Rogue Squadron games in terms of visuals.. which would go a long way toward making up for the half-assed Death Star II battle in Alliance.

Alright, so I've been confused and I hope you guys can help me. I've been seeing pictures of people playing PS3 games such as MW3, Killzone 3, Naruto Ultimate Ninja, etc. on their Vitas, with some claiming that their Vita is not hacked in any way. And from what I can tell, it works quite well too!

I got all excited and set up remote play for my vita, only to have the vita reject the command to play PS3 games (I tried many) as it is "unsupported". Do any of you guys know how those other people are getting their vitas to play PS3 games, or if you have experience with this yourself?

Thanks in advance, and this is one of the biggest reasons why I bought a Vita, so I hope it works!