HG and Robotech Debates

Somehow, I doubt Macek would've been able to avoid much of the spite and bile directed at him even if he'd never deluded himself into believing he was the anime industry's answer to Gene Roddenberry and started pretending the Robotech TV series was the result of his grand creative vision.

But Carl Macek was the anime industry's answer to Gene Roddenberry. Gene Roddenberry was just a mere member of the Lucifer worshiping Illuminati, but Carl Macek was the anti-Christ of anime! :lol:

Eh... the only time Tommy ever takes notice of what Robotech fans are doing is when he's either plotting to make them surrender their work to him so he can take credit for it, or plotting to kill the fan project for stepping on his toes. The idiot in question does nothing Tommy would want to take credit for or call attention to, and he's not doing anything of any real value that might make Tommy look bad by comparison, so Tommy doesn't care.

Yep, it was only ever performing well against the Fz-109s when it was fighting inside the dome, where the VF-14-based Fz-109 is at a distinct disadvantage. Once the battle was in space, it was spanked so quickly it wasn't funny... and with a UN ace at the controls too.

Not to mention the fact that Milia wasn't piloting it anymore. Stupid Gamlin got it wrecked!

Just out of curiosity as I'm not a member of any of the RT boards... my common sense tells me that the vast majority of RT fans are not batsh!t crazy like this character. Has the RT community accepted DB as their leader, spokesperson, and personal savior, as he so proclaims in his video? :p

Just out of curiosity as I'm not a member of any of the RT boards... my common sense tells me that the vast majority of RT fans are not batsh!t crazy like this character. Has the RT community accepted DB as their leader, spokesperson, and personal savior, as he so proclaims in his video? :p

It looks like he doesn't post on RT.com, at least within the past month. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he posted here more often than there.

The only board I post at that has a Robotech connection besides Macross World is the Megaverse forums for the RPG games of Palladium. The RT community there doesn't have anything to do with that person, AFAIK. I'd also like to say that with the exception of one or two rare individuals with similar issues, the vast majority of Robotech fans at the Megaverse board have been very nice and easy to get along with.

He's just a leader of the RT fans that are just as batshit crazy as he is

But Carl Macek was the anime industry's answer to Gene Roddenberry. Gene Roddenberry was just a mere member of the Lucifer worshiping Illuminati, but Carl Macek was the anti-Christ of anime! :lol:

:wacko: lol wut?

Nope... as a point of fact, he's not even allowed on most of the Robotech fansites out there. He received a permanent ban on Robotech.com way back in like '04, and he got a permanent ban on RobotechX.com last year. He's attempted to come back to both under a few alternate screen names, but he gets found out pretty quickly and banned again. About the only person who supports his bullshit is MEMO1DOMINION, a man notorious for using people like the idiot in question as stooges to harass the people he doesn't like into saying something he can ban them for.

So no, he's not the leader or spokesman of the Robotech fanbase... he's just some idiot with delusions of grandeur trying desperately to make someone care about what he has to say.

I need a fact check on this, especially the quoted part.

The 'Robotech' master

The second Macek revolution

Whetted by this taste of what real anime was all about, many fans began to seek out original works -- most of which were unavailable in any legal licensed form.

In 1987, a few years after the end of "Robotech"'s televised run, a young animation curator working for the Landmark Theaters chain, Jerry Beck, had been tasked with creating animation packages for booking into the company's arthouse cinemas. Part of his job was helping to program what would become one of the first annual animation festivals, the Los Angeles Animation Celebration.

A longtime anime enthusiast, Beck sensed that a tipping point had been reached in the number of fans of the medium. He lobbied to include two anime features in the lineup for the first Animation Celebration -- the wondrous "Laputa: Castle in the Sky" by modern master Hayao Miyazaki, and Carl Macek's feature-film sequel to the "Robotech" series, "Robotech: The Movie.

"We put 'Robotech' in the big auditorium, and they sold out instantly," says Beck. "I was in the back, watching it in standing room, and Carl was right there next to me. The reaction was amazing. The audience was loving it. And I whispered to him, 'They're eating it up!' And he shrugged and said, 'That's the way it always is.'"

And here I thought an audience in Texas thought differently. So much so that certain people disowned it.

I swear, it almost sounds like a whole industry conspiracy.

The 'Robotech' master

And here I thought an audience in Texas thought differently. So much so that certain people disowned it.

That LA part is true. Wrong year though it was 1986.

The 'Robotech' master

I don't think he was referring to the Houston screening but I did read a animation magazine about another screening that had the Untold Story on a double bill with Laputa. I always thought it was at convention. I can't remember the name of the mag (maybe Cartoon or Comic Scene?) but the article covered some top Streamline titles like Fist of the North Star, Lupin III, and Wicked City.

Well I am sure you heard of Carl Macek's nickname the "Anti-christ of anime." Now as for Gene Roddenberry really being a devil worshiping Illuminati, I'll just say that perhaps there is some truth to the rumors...

403194f496.th.jpg

2820207559af6e1d12f1.th.jpg

upsidedownstarfleetlogo.th.jpg

The illuminati / anti-christ / grays / Harmony Gold 2012 conspiracy is more widespread than previously believed:

motivator22540c712ef78b657d791ff118.jpg

Most don't know, or even care for him. The only ones who do actually listen are mostly listening because it's so absurdly stupid. The few that actually do follow his words and advice are the few inept individuals who are too whacked out to think anything of sense.

Eh... the stuff you quoted is almost certainly bullshit. Even Macek himself was (initially) quite open about the fact that they couldn't have missed the mark harder if they tried. He himself said that the test screening had a decent percentage of the audience walk out partway through because the parents present thought the movie's mature themes inappropriate for the age group the movie was targeted to, and their children in particular. He cited that, executive meddling on the part of Cannon Films, and the success of the G1 Transformers movie as being the major factors that killed Robotech: the Movie and caused it to be canned and never see a theatrical release here in the states.

Eh... the stuff you quoted is almost certainly bullshit. Even Macek himself was (initially) quite open about the fact that they couldn't have missed the mark harder if they tried. He himself said that the test screening had a decent percentage of the audience walk out partway through because the parents present thought the movie's mature themes inappropriate for the age group the movie was targeted to, and their children in particular. He cited that, executive meddling on the part of Cannon Films, and the success of the G1 Transformers movie as being the major factors that killed Robotech: the Movie and caused it to be canned and never see a theatrical release here in the states.

Maybe Macek said that it failed miserably before, but by the time of his A.N.N. interview, he said that the audiences in Houston loved the movie, and it was doing very well until Cannon got nervous and pulled the plug... :unsure:

Maybe Macek said that it failed miserably before, but by the time of his A.N.N. interview, he said that the audiences in Houston loved the movie, and it was doing very well until Cannon got nervous and pulled the plug... :unsure:

That's no surprise, is it? Every RT production story has multiple versions, depending on how old it is, how bad the outcome is, and how gullible the audience is.

Conspiracy? Harmony Gold Cover up? No. Reader Misinterpretation? Yes.

The second Macek revolution

Whetted by this taste of what real anime was all about, many fans began to seek out original works -- most of which were unavailable in any legal licensed form.

In 1987, a few years after the end of "Robotech"'s televised run, a young animation curator working for the Landmark Theaters chain, Jerry Beck, had been tasked with creating animation packages for booking into the company's arthouse cinemas. Part of his job was helping to program what would become one of the first annual animation festivals, the Los Angeles Animation Celebration.

A longtime anime enthusiast, Beck sensed that a tipping point had been reached in the number of fans of the medium. He lobbied to include two anime features in the lineup for the first Animation Celebration -- the wondrous "Laputa: Castle in the Sky" by modern master Hayao Miyazaki, and Carl Macek's feature-film sequel to the "Robotech" series, "Robotech: The Movie.

"We put 'Robotech' in the big auditorium, and they sold out instantly," says Beck. "I was in the back, watching it in standing room, and Carl was right there next to me. The reaction was amazing. The audience was loving it. And I whispered to him, 'They're eating it up!' And he shrugged and said, 'That's the way it always is.'"

Beck said nothing of the film's little debut in Texas. He was talking about it's showing at the Los Angeles Animation Celebration. Its not impossible to consider that the movie would be a success in front of diehard animation fans, the only people who would even bother attending the Los Angeles Animation Celebration in its first year.

The illuminati / anti-christ / grays / Harmony Gold 2012 conspiracy is more widespread than previously believed:

Look Jim. I’m a doctor not a loli fan. I can tell that photo is completely fake, there are no ridges on that "Kling-On!" girl's forehead.

Beck said nothing of the film's little debut in Texas. He was talking about it's showing at the Los Angeles Animation Celebration. Its not impossible to consider that the movie would be a success in front of diehard animation fans, the only people who would even bother attending the Los Angeles Animation Celebration in its first year.

That was not my point. Contrary to what people know, especially from what's been said in official material like the Robotech Artbooks, people actually liked it and the guy who "made" it had some pride from his work. That is, unless the "That's the way it always is," was meant to be more condescending about the audience at the time.

What's disturbing is that stories of questionable accuracy about Carl Macek's career like these have probably been circulating to various mainstream outlets putting a positive spin on his life and not in anime centric ones. Worse is that the same old crew from HG and other close associates may be hamming it up a bit much from reality.

That was not my point. Contrary to what people know, especially from what's been said in official material like the Robotech Artbooks, people actually liked it and the guy who "made" it had some pride from his work. That is, unless the "That's the way it always is," was meant to be more condescending about the audience at the time.

What's disturbing is that stories of questionable accuracy about Carl Macek's career like these have probably been circulating to various mainstream outlets putting a positive spin on his life and not in anime centric ones. Worse is that the same old crew from HG and other close associates may be hamming it up a bit much from reality.

I think most of people's accounts of subjective matter changes over time. I've heard things from "Carl wasn't happy with the screenings", to, "he did like the result, but the film was unplugged anyways", and everything in between. I've also heard that he had a vision of the movie that was supposed to be different than what it ended up being. From what the story is, Carl wanted it to be footage of Megazone 23 only, and not spliced with Southern Cross.

I don't think his close associates were putting just positive spin on his life. It was because of Robotech, that a lot of those VA's still work in the industry and get to do what they love. I'm sure we can all argue over Carl's actions and comments on Robotech and all that all day, but his positives in my opinion outweigh the criticisms he's had.

I think most of people's accounts of subjective matter changes over time. I've heard things from "Carl wasn't happy with the screenings", to, "he did like the result, but the film was unplugged anyways", and everything in between. I've also heard that he had a vision of the movie that was supposed to be different than what it ended up being. From what the story is, Carl wanted it to be footage of Megazone 23 only, and not spliced with Southern Cross.

I don't think his close associates were putting just positive spin on his life. It was because of Robotech, that a lot of those VA's still work in the industry and get to do what they love. I'm sure we can all argue over Carl's actions and comments on Robotech and all that all day, but his positives in my opinion outweigh the criticisms he's had.

That's reasonable. How about Tommy Yune's input in that piece?

Well, duh... it's Carl Macek. Once he got it into his head that he could convince people that it wasn't his fault his entire contribution as Robotech's creative director was a sequence of embarrassing failures by hyping himself as a creative visionary whose great plans were constantly undermined by cowardly executives and bad luck, he'd tell just about any lie to make himself look good. If he didn't lie about the extent of his involvement and contributions to Robotech and the anime industry, the only people who would know who he was or give a toss what he'd done would be Robotech fans and the people whose fandoms suffer the occasional inconvenience at Harmony Gold's hands.

It's kind of pathetic that the only way to get a halfway honest answer out of Carl Macek was to look up what he'd said about that particular subject over twenty years ago, before he became a habitual liar.

"And then when the audience watched the infamous sex scene from Megazone 23 , they all went bat-poo insane."

Infamous? It's a pink girl squirming around while a voiceover explains the plot. It's so tame, there's not even a dude in the scene. This is like PG-13 at worst.

He cited that, executive meddling on the part of Cannon Films, and the success of the G1 Transformers movie as being the major factors that killed Robotech: the Movie and caused it to be canned and never see a theatrical release here in the states.

No he didn't. Transformers: The Movie was a bomb that later became a cult hit on VHS on the rental scene. Transformers was such a bomb that GI Joe: The Movie and My Little Pony: The Movie were relegated to direct to video because Hasbro and the other companies involved couldn't afford the risk. The movie that Macek says buried Robotech: The Movie was a little thing called Aliens. This is not hard info to track down. Go read Robotech Art 3.

I don't see the Macross II, but after Voltron 3D, I think we're all gald Netter Digital went under.

This was not from the Netter Digital iteration of Robotech 3000, this is the version that was showing up when Robotech.com that eventually turned into Shadow Chronicles. That stuff is like 2000 or 2001, after Netter was already dead. The Netter Robotech 3000 mecha were just weird robot forklifts and crap.

Edited by Ginrai

Infamous? It's a pink girl squirming around while a voiceover explains the plot. It's so tame, there's not even a dude in the scene. This is like PG-13 at worst.

Its a POV shot of a girl getting slammed, while a disjointed voice talks. If it were seen on its own, it would make many people go crazy trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

The Netter Robotech 3000 mecha were just weird robot forklifts and crap.

Get it right man, they were VERITECH forklifts!!! :p :P

Taksraven

I don't see the Macross II, but after Voltron 3D, I think we're all gald Netter Digital went under.

Actually, the FAST packs on the ships do look like Macross II inspired. Pictures of the robot forklifts are also in the site, as well as a robot that may have inspired Janice in Shadow Chronicles before she became fan service bait.