Dismantling a VF-1 Backpack

Mommar

So in the midst of transforming my VF-1S to Battroid my thumb managed to misplace the flap on the bottom of the packback. Totally pushed it through where it isn't supposed to go and it's pretty clear trying to force it to go back is going to break something somehwere. Anybody know if it's possible to dismantle this bit so I can put the flap on the right side of the backpack or am I screwed now?

You could try to carefully pry open the piece that the flap's pins go into. First one side, wedge in some sort of spacer to keep it open (folded up paper?) and then do the other side the same. You could then push the flap back where it belongs.

If you got it out without the part breaking, you may be able to get it back and not break it too.

Based on where the screws are, you're a good enough distance from them that you should be able to provide force to spread open the area, without over stressing the screwed area. Just go slow and be careful.

Edited by mickyg

I was so interested in offering some quick help that I didn't even consider the fact that you can likely get one pin in without prying it open. Which means you really only need to do this on the one side.

Good luck!

(Update)
In fact, I just popped one out on a VF-1J sitting on my desk at work, with nothing more than my thumbnail to pry open the "claw" around the pin. And then back in - no problems. If you lack nails, a stiff object, filed sharp, like maybe the edge of a credit card, will do the trick nicely.

Edited by mickyg

That thing is glued, together with the screw covers.

Glad that my negativity towards it has not prevented members to helping out. I am glad I was proven wrong.

Can anyone show a quick picture? I have a broken backpack that needs to be repaired as well.

I was concerned about doing that, the backpack of this 1S is pretty damn tight. I'll give it a go again and see if it's just a bit of nerves keeping me from going all the way. Thanks. Or course, it's already in Battroid and I think there are some different forces in play on the backpack at that angle that might be tightening up the plastic as well. No real way to unfold it due to the angle of the flap.