Forum Noob, Need advice to fix a VF-25 & Yf-19

Bushwood3006

Hello all.

Been collecting for a while now and just recent joined here. Got a question about fixing a VF-25 Renewal. I just recently picked up the Tornado Parts and installed them. I ran into one problem. I had it in Fighter mode and then decided I wanted to have it in Gerwalk for a while. But when i went to transform it the wing root pin got stuck in the leg armor tight enough it pulled the armor off the leg. I tired to wiggle it off the pin as gently as i could but the pin sheared off at the base. Assuming i can get the pin out of the armor without mangling it, does anyone have a good fix other than just super-gluing it back to the wing?

And just out of curiousity would anyone happen to have a CAD drawing of the YF-19 intake covers. I lost mine a while back. I have friend with a 3d printer, and wanna see if he could do it.

You'll probably need pics of the issue. I'm trying to picture it, but actual pics would help a lot. As for the 19 intake covers, if he has a 3D printer, he probably has a CAD program to do them? If not, maybe try contacting one of the guys in the workshop forum section, and see if you can commission replacement parts from one of them. I have the software to do it as well, but my 19 is packed away. It might take me awhile before I can do any of this stuff.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Forum member Scream Man had the very same issue with one of his VF-25.. As far as i can remember he wasn't able to do much about it. A difficult part to fix due to its functionality and i doubt a fix if possible would be strong enough and would break again. I'd imagine you'd have to fabricate a pin which was ever so slightly smaller than the original and ensure it was attached perfectly straight or else it would bind and the same thing would happen again.. He ended up just replacing the Valk itself and my son now owns that broken Valk which he painted into skull colors!

Whatever you do, and I can't stress this enough, DO NOT use super glue on the break; it won't hold, and you want clean surfaces for a real repair to be attempted.

You'll need a small diameter drill bit (0.3mm or so, but no more than .06mm), a pin or metal wire (a seamstress pin is ideal), and ABS compatible plastic cement (methylene chloride based like Ambroid Pro Weld) in order to effectively repair something like that break.

If the peg can be accessed from bellow, push it out. If not, drill into it about 2mm deep and work a small screw into the hole (self-tapping would be best) to use as a holding surface you can grab with a pair of pliers to pull the peg out of the socket. If you have penetrating oil (WD40 works well), try to get a small drop on the edge of the peg an see if it seeps in... this will help reduce the friction and make removal easier. If you use oil, make sure to wash the parts with soap and rinse thoroughly before proceeding.

Take the peg remnant and place it on the surface from which it broke and move it around until you find it's natural position; you don't want to cement it crooked, and you'll actually feel once it keys in properly. Place a small drop of the plastic cement on the break's seam so that capillary action carries it into the crack; you can help it along by carefully shifting the peg and then applying a bit of pressure until you see a small amount of material ooze out of the seam -- plastic cement melts the plastic so the two pieces are "welded" to each other, turning the two pieces into one, so the ooze is a good thing and it can be filed, sanded, cut, or scraped off later. Let the joined pieces rest for about an hour.

Drill the part through the peg, concentrically. Add a drop of plastic weld into the hole and push the metal pin into it, all the way; if you use a headed pin, make a countersink into the plastic so that it will be recessed, then snip any exposed length of metal flush with the plastic surface. The metal inside the part will help stabilize it and make it even stronger than the original, which wouldn't have broken if it were strong enough in the first place.

Once successfully repaired, sand/file down the peg's diameter to clean any extruded weld and to make it fit into it's corresponding socket with a bit more ease; this will reduce stress on both parts for the future. Remove only a very small amount of material at a time and test constantly... better to remove too little than too much.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Edited by mechaninac

I cannot say much about the VF-25 repair, but which YF-19 do you have, the old Yamato, or the newer Arcadia one?

I did see someone on this forum post pictures of a scratchbuilt replacement cover, but I dont recall how it was made. It might have just been built out of scrap plastic.

I cannot say much about the VF-25 repair, but which YF-19 do you have, the old Yamato, or the newer Arcadia one?

I did see someone on this forum post pictures of a scratchbuilt replacement cover, but I dont recall how it was made. It might have just been built out of scrap plastic.

The Yamato Folder Booster/Fast Pack set. Probably gonna have to scratch build them.

For future reference on other VF-25 Tornado owners, would enlarging the hole a little in the legs armor helps not to break or snap the peg? I have the Tornado parts and up to now I haven't use the leg armors yet. I just bought it for the wing and cannons. But does enlarging it kinda helps? Thanks in advance. ;)

For future reference on other VF-25 Tornado owners, would enlarging the hole a little in the legs armor helps not to break or snap the peg? I have the Tornado parts and up to now I haven't use the leg armors yet. I just bought it for the wing and cannons. But does enlarging it kinda helps? Thanks in advance. ;)

Honestly for all the leg armors i don't get why they just didn't make it like the clip already on the legs.

@Bushwood3006 if the peg on my sons vf25 is not broken we'll happily swap that section out with you. We wont ever by fitting parts to it anyways. Just depends on which side is broken as i cant remember..

Edited by spanner76