TOYS FAQ - The New Noobie questions thread

EXO

hi there. nubcakes to the boards :) was gifted a 1/60 yamato valk recently and i am hooked. i now own two, but sadly one of them does not have the optional parts. i did a bit of googling to see if i could find them separate, but it doesn't appear to be the case. do i need to up my googling skills or does yamato not sell these separately? i also pinged EXO on shapeways, as he seems to have made the parts on his own. sadly they appear to be out of production :-(

any information would appreciated!

D

hi there ..... you have to be more specific which model and parts of 1/60 yamato line you're talking about as they release alot :)

hi there ..... you have to be more specific which model and parts of 1/60 yamato line you're talking about as they release alot :)

oh! excellent point! LOL

i am referring to version 2 of yamato's vf-1x line from the original macross series.

thank you! :)

D

I've done a lot of searching the forum to get bits of noob info but I figured I'd toss in a few questions here as well. I have wanted to get into this hobby FOREVER but until recently I lacked a key ingredient: money.

I recently picked up the YF-30 Chronos and YF - 25 Prophecy because they were reasonably priced and I like the Frontier valks quite a bit. I also preordered the Arcadia VF-0A. Super pumped for that!

Anyway, my questions...

1) Generally speaking, how do you manage this hobby? Jumping in as a noob everything is either discontinued or the preorder is sold out, so what is your strategy for getting the mecha you want?

2) Some of the prices on the secondary market seem bananas and I have no experience to know whether prices for something like the Arcadia YF-19 return to a more reasonable level after a while.

3) Let's say you had $350 bucks to drop this afternoon on a valk - what would you buy? Arcadia VF-0D? YF-29?

Finally, any general advice you might offer, if a given release was either exceptional or awful, would be awesome!

And yes, I did learn enough on my own to pick up a yetistand!

I've done a lot of searching the forum to get bits of noob info but I figured I'd toss in a few questions here as well. I have wanted to get into this hobby FOREVER but until recently I lacked a key ingredient: money.

I recently picked up the YF-30 Chronos and YF - 25 Prophecy because they were reasonably priced and I like the Frontier valks quite a bit. I also preordered the Arcadia VF-0A. Super pumped for that!

Anyway, my questions...

1) Generally speaking, how do you manage this hobby? Jumping in as a noob everything is either discontinued or the preorder is sold out, so what is your strategy for getting the mecha you want?

2) Some of the prices on the secondary market seem bananas and I have no experience to know whether prices for something like the Arcadia YF-19 return to a more reasonable level after a while.

3) Let's say you had $350 bucks to drop this afternoon on a valk - what would you buy? Arcadia VF-0D? YF-29?

Finally, any general advice you might offer, if a given release was either exceptional or awful, would be awesome!

And yes, I did learn enough on my own to pick up a yetistand!

1) Since you mentioned that you really like the Frontier valks....then my advice would be to stick with Frontier valks......most are readily available and at prices close to MSRP.....if you decide that you must have all the other valks.....then accept that the hobby will manage YOU! :rolleyes:

2) The only way a sold out valk's current market price will come down is if a re-release is announced or if it wasn't that popular to begin with.....sadly, that no longer is happening with Arcadia valks as they are produced at much lower quantities than they were during the Yamato days.....

3) If you had $350.....I'd go for the VF-0D...I am pretty sure it will not get a second release any time soon and will probably be selling for $400-450 by next year (see YF-19)....any YF-29 is easy to find and the prices have seemed to stabilize recently.....However, if you want to focus on one line or show....get the YF-29...or save your cash for another year or so and get the latest valks from Macross Delta!!! :rolleyes:

I'm thinking in buying a DX Chogokin Brera (the red one) and the Michael one (blue one) do you think those have good quality or should I spend my money in another brand instead of bandai? I've never had one before.. thanks!

The VF-25G might be hard to find for a reasonable price. Hopefully Bandai reissues him sooner or later. As for the VF-27, try to find the one with the super parts it should be a little easier to find vs the VF-25G. Like barurutor said, find the White boxed versions. The Green version VF-27 comes out in a couple of months if you want to go that route. These have ball joints that sometimes loosens over time but can befixed.

A4343SA.jpgThebox.jpg

bandai_dx_chogokin_macross_f_-_vf-27_luc

Edited by wmkjr

Make sure you're getting the white box renewal versions if you buy Bandai. These are way better toys than the initial DX Chogokin Macross Frontier Valkyries.

Thanks I didn't even know there were some re-issues. The ones I see in amazon must be the first versions then...

Thank you, do you know a place where I could get them?, thanks.

The VF-25G might be hard to find for a reasonable price. Hopefully Bandai reissues him sooner or later. As for the VF-27, try to find the one with the super parts it should be a little easier to find vs the VF-25G. Like barurutor said, find the White boxed versions. The Green version VF-27 comes out in a couple of months if you want to go that route. These have ball joints that sometimes loosens over time but can befixed.

A4343SA.jpgThebox.jpg

bandai_dx_chogokin_macross_f_-_vf-27_luc

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/5088-macross-f-dx-chogokin-vf-27-lucifer-valkyrie-super-parts-set.html (MSRP 20k Yen)

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/11411-macross-f-dx-chogokin-vf-27-lucifer-valkyrie-grace-o-connor-custom-limited-edition.html (this is MSRP for us Gaijin)

(Don't buy this one) https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/2631-macross-f-dx-chogokin-vf-25g-messiah-valkyrie-michael-blanc-custom-renewal-version.html (MSRP 14k Yen)

You could also check Mandarake and Jungle for the items. Please keep in mind that Mandarake and Jungle sell used items (the one from NY are MISB). I also never ordered from them so I don't know personally what to expect but they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Super VF-27:

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1014688180&ref=list

http://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/?page_id=121&id=1161015

VF-25G:

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1021267441&ref=list

If this is your first time importing from Japan:

1. Some countries (especially in Europe) will add sales tax and customs fees to your order if you import anything from Japan.
  2. Nippon Yasan (NY) will mark the price on the item down which is basically tax fraud and if you ship the item with insurance you might not get any money back if the carrier lose the package (because they think the item is worth the marked down price NY stated).
  3. NY is not the best shop when it comes to refunds due to broken items out the box (this is common for many Japan-based shops).
  4. While I really like the Renewal Valkyries they have their fair share of problems (loose joints, easily scraped paint, easily broken/bent areas when handled wrongly) so you might inform yourself what to expect before spending > $200 on a toy.

Happy hunting. :)

Edited by Scyla

Thank you very much, I didn't even know about those issues, which makes me think if i should have buy such an expensive toy which sounds very brittle.. thanks again

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/5088-macross-f-dx-chogokin-vf-27-lucifer-valkyrie-super-parts-set.html (MSRP 20k Yen)

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/11411-macross-f-dx-chogokin-vf-27-lucifer-valkyrie-grace-o-connor-custom-limited-edition.html (this is MSRP for us Gaijin)

(Don't buy this one) https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/2631-macross-f-dx-chogokin-vf-25g-messiah-valkyrie-michael-blanc-custom-renewal-version.html (MSRP 14k Yen)

You could also check Mandarake and Jungle for the items. Please keep in mind that Mandarake and Jungle sell used items (the one from NY are MISB). I also never ordered from them so I don't know personally what to expect but they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Super VF-27:

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1014688180&ref=list

http://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/?page_id=121&id=1161015

VF-25G:

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1021267441&ref=list

If this is your first time importing from Japan:

1. Some countries (especially in Europe) will add sales tax and customs fees to your order if you import anything from Japan.
  2. Nippon Yasan (NY) will mark the price on the item down which is basically tax fraud and if you ship the item with insurance you might not get any money back if the carrier lose the package (because they think the item is worth the marked down price NY stated).
  3. NY is not the best shop when it comes to refunds due to broken items out the box (this is common for many Japan-based shops).
  4. While I really like the Renewal Valkyries they have their fair share of problems (loose joints, easily scraped paint, easily broken/bent areas when handled wrongly) so you might inform yourself what to expect before spending > $200 on a toy.

Happy hunting. :)

I'd go with a VF-25 you can get for 14k Yen:

or a VF-1J 30th Anniversary on a deep discount:

All other items cost too much for a first dip into collectible Valkyrie toys.

Both companies produce great collectibles imho but not playable toys.

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate thread for this, but thought I needed to share it with the community; here is something I came across online that may be of interest to anyone needing to repair broken plastic parts on their toys, specially when plastic weld is not an option, 2-part epoxy is too messy, CA is inappropriate, and anything else just won't work: Liquid Bonder by Bondic

Full disclosure disclaimer: I have not tried this myself, but it is intriguing and presents some interesting possibilities.

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate thread for this, but thought I needed to share it with the community; here is something I came across online that may be of interest to anyone needing to repair broken plastic parts on their toys, specially when plastic weld is not an option, 2-part epoxy is too messy, CA is inappropriate, and anything else just won't work: Liquid Bonder by Bondic

Full disclosure disclaimer: I have not tried this myself, but it is intriguing and presents some interesting possibilities.

Thanks for sharing mechaninac. That product looks promising. ;)

One project comes to my mind though... my exploded YF-21 thigh part. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the off topic: quick question about ordering from Mandarake. I'm thinking about ordering an item. To get around the 500 Yen handling fee I'd like to add another item to my order but the one I'm interested in is from another store location. Can I combine the two items in one order?

Sorry for the off topic: quick question about ordering from Mandarake. I'm thinking about ordering an item. To get around the 500 Yen handling fee I'd like to add another item to my order but the one I'm interested in is from another store location. Can I combine the two items in one order?

No, it has to be on 5k yen on the same store.

Sounds like you may benefit from a walk on over to anymoon.com to see all my toy reviews :)

I'll take this opportunity to thank you for your great and detailed reviews. Helped me so much when I had to get a lot of info fast. Much appreciated!

Cheers!

Edited by Zonnet

I'll take this opportunity to thank you for your great and detailed reviews. Helped me so much when I had to get a lot of info fast. Much appreciated!

Cheers!

Thanks! It's always good to hear people are finding it helpful.

Thanks! It's always good to hear people are finding it helpful.

Yes it is, Jenius. Your site really helps a lot. Esp new collectors. And I want to thank you as well. Because of you, you made me hunt down those Beagle Mospeadas and it really cost a lot. But as what you say it, it's worth to have those Beagle figures. ^_^

...and I blame you for it for making me spend so much hunting those. Hahaha! Just kidding Jenius. All is good. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I took a risk and ordered something from the 'shopify' link and somehow they point out to the same Facebook link users and they just ship my order last Friday with a tracking number. If it arrives, will update you guys. ;)

Btw, i tried to load the www.therobotechstore.com, and it's just a default Network Solutions page that has a link on top saying 'click if you're the owner of the site'.

As of today June 29, 2015, 10:27am PST:

THEROBOTECHSTORE.COM

post-5552-0-97516600-1435598707_thumb.jpg

ROBOTECHSTORE.MYSHOPIFY.COM

post-5552-0-47711100-1435598749_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I was transforming my vf-19s from fighter to gerwalk and this tiny little grey piece came flying out from somewhere. I can't find anywhere it should go. It looks like some kind of vent? Anyone know where it goes. It was hard to photograph on my cell phone's camera but here are the pics.

WP 20150727 002

WP 20150727 001