Questions about Arcadia YF-19 and VF-1 1/60 Scale Toys

Mr March

As was said, Tornado Parts are where it's at for the VF-25F. They look like the Strike Parts of the Frontier line to my eyes. Also, they are about to be released, so there is a good chance that you will get an okay price on extra stock.

Otherwise, take the Old Man's advice and get the 25A if you want the Super Parts right now. ^_^

Next to the 25A, I think only the 25G still has reasonable accessories at retail.

NY prices is about a brand new unit. Second hand or used price in Japan for VF-25S supers are about the same price as bnew 25g or 25a Supers (5.5k to 6.5k yen)

You can also check mandarake for it (if you want to avoid proxy and it is cheaper as well)

tbh, it is not ozma if it is not Armored Messiah :lol: :lol:

It is a different story with alto though since he was able to use most of fast pack and valk in the Frontier universe. So Super, armored, and I guess the current Tornado will end up expensive as well when supplies run out.

Thanks for the tips The Old Man, technoblue and chyll2. Your suggestions are a good idea to make the best of what is a less than ideal situation, but I think I'll opt out. Purchasing a variant VF-25A I don't necessarily want just to obtain a Super Pack set is not my thing. If I do pull the trigger, I'll go with base VF-25F model. Nonetheless, I do truly appreciate your help.

You're welcome, Mr. March. The 25F is a great choice. I bought one after picking up Isamu's YF-29 Durnadal. Comparing the YF-29 to the VF-25 on design alone, I prefer the look of the VF-25 series. It's not as busy or pointy, there is no backpack turret to get in the way, and I think the VF-25 looks much better in fighter mode.

When bringing accessories into the comparison, there is no contest. The VF-25 series has more, and that presents more options.

My hope is the same as others over in the renewal series thread. Given that the 25F has seen multiple releases, it would be great if the 25S or 25G were given the same treatment later this year. I think it would be fantastic if Bandai released both again, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just doing my best to ignore the aftermarket prices. :blink:

There is so much out there to keep our interest: Blu-rays, artwork, toys, figures. Having a plan for it all is paramount. And your process here is admirable. Good luck in your final decision! :)

Thanks for the tips The Old Man, technoblue and chyll2. Your suggestions are a good idea to make the best of what is a less than ideal situation, but I think I'll opt out. Purchasing a variant VF-25A I don't necessarily want just to obtain a Super Pack set is not my thing. If I do pull the trigger, I'll go with base VF-25F model. Nonetheless, I do truly appreciate your help.

...to be fair, the VF-25a is the base unit. Alto stole the VF-25f from Henry Gilliam after Alto watched him die.

My hope is the same as others over in the renewal series thread. Given that the 25F has seen multiple releases, it would be great if the 25S or 25G were given the same treatment later this year. I think it would be fantastic if Bandai released both again, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just doing my best to ignore the aftermarket prices. :blink:

There is so much out there to keep our interest: Blu-rays, artwork, toys, figures. Having a plan for it all is paramount. And your process here is admirable. Good luck in your final decision! :)

I hope for that too. I'm not sure why they aren't eager to reissue these products considering they sell out so fast and have such a busy aftermarket. I can only hope they reissue the stuff I'm looking for.

As for the purchasing, a little research never hurts. If one doesn't keep up with the industry, it's very easy to be overwhelmed by the myriad products and releases. I think toy sellers can only get away with confusing their consumers because fanboys will put in the effort to figure out the mess :)

...to be fair, the VF-25a is the base unit. Alto stole the VF-25f from Henry Gilliam after Alto watched him die.

By "base" I meant "without accessories", not "initial mass production unit" :)

Hey Mr March, have you checked out our own For Sale Forums. 1J available by one of our members.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41404

Yes, I have been visiting the "For Sale" section regularly and did see that thread. However, I've already purchased an Arcadia VF-1S 1/60 Scale (Roy type) and it is currently on it's way to me. I'll keep my eyes open for other stuff I'm looking for. Thanks.

I hope for that too. I'm not sure why they aren't eager to reissue these products considering they sell out so fast and have such a busy aftermarket. I can only hope they reissue the stuff I'm looking for.As for the purchasing, a little research never hurts. If one doesn't keep up with the industry, it's very easy to be overwhelmed by the myriad products and releases. I think toy sellers can only get away with confusing their consumers because fanboys will put in the effort to figure out the mess :)By "base" I meant "without accessories", not "initial mass production unit" :)Yes, I have been visiting the "For Sale" section regularly and did see that thread. However, I've already purchased an Arcadia VF-1S 1/60 Scale (Roy type) and it is currently on it's way to me. I'll keep my eyes open for other stuff I'm looking for. Thanks.

I know, just being a nerd.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Arcadia YF-19 and Arcadia VF-1S Valkyrie transformables yesterday and spent a few hours to unpack, transform and examine them. Wow, things sure have changed/improved since the last time I purchased a transformable Macross toy. These things are fantastic! I think what is most impressive is how solid these figures are in all their modes. Once transformed and properly set into place, the toys stay solid and easily bear casual handling. Now the 1/48 VF-1 Yamato toys also had this, but it's great to see this is not a feature Macross toys have lost. If anything it's been refined even further. I'm noticing the VF-1S Valkyrie in particular has several newly improved stability anchors (particularly for fighter mode).

I must say, it's funny going to the 1/60 scale VF-1S Valkyrie after owning 1/48 scale Yammies for so many years. It's bizarre to think of this 1/60 scale Arcadia toy as a "small" valkyrie, but that was my initial impression. However, after transforming the VF-1S into Battroid, it towers over my poor Revoltech figures :)

I also have to say, owning both the YF-19 and the VF-1S Valkyrie is a real treat. Since they both share the same 1/60 scale, it allows you to observe the vast size difference in the two fighters. I really see how different the two craft are now, not only in style and function, but also in terms of the physical size and the different role the YF-19 assumed over the role of the original VF-1 Valkyrie. So glad I purchased both of these toys.

Last but not least, I just have to praise both these Arcadia toys for their proportions and design compromises.

The Arcadia VF-1S is dangerously close to the perfect ideal VF-1 transformable toy I always wanted. If Hasegawa built a transformable from their excellent VF-1 model line, this Arcadia toy might be what it would have been. Every part in every mode of the 1/60 scale Arcadia VF-1 just fits together so well and the proportions look great. The VF-1S Valkyrie Battroid mode is especially well proportioned compared to the 1/48 scale Yamato. The 1/60 Arcadia features a narrowed chest, a shorter crotch (on account of a short nose/forward fuselage), shorter biceps on the arms, a shorter proportioned gun pod, more rounded lower legs/engines and last - but certainly not least - far better proportioned manipulators (hands). There's also been several major improvements to the Battroid articulation allowing even better dramatic poses. I also have to say, I do not miss the airbrake, aerilons and removable nose cone of the old 1/48 Yamato; the Arcadia VF-1 is a less troublesome and much more enjoyable toy to handle without those "features".

The Arcadia YF-19 is the first transformable YF-19 toy I've felt was worth owning. It's not perfect, but at least this toy achieves a level of proportion and cuts an imposing figure in a way the Yamato toys could never achieve. The Battroid mode is the clear triumph of this new YF-19 design. The arms finally have some bulk/length, the gun pod is perfectly proportioned, the torso properly slopes downward from back to front and the large legs fit beautifully into an imposing crotch (LOL!). Now that's not to say the other modes aren't an improvement, because they are. The fighter mode of the Arcadia YF-19 is also a major step up from the Yamato, particularly lacking the ugly "gullet" of the old Yamato nose/forward ventral fuselage. I also really appreciate the rear "thigh" covers for the legs, a little part swapping goes a long way in this case.

Overall, I'm blown away by these babies. I suppose a lot of my impressions are old news to fans who have kept collecting for years, but to me this is a big jump. I won't oversell my reaction by saying hyperbole like this being as big a leap as the jump from the old Bandai 1/55s to the Yamato 1/48. However, there is no denying that my 1/48 Yammie is clearly several steps behind these new Arcadia offerings. So glad I indulged. Very worthwhile purchases. Bravo Arcadia!

Edited by Mr March

Nothing beats the feeling of worthwhile purchases.

Congrats on your purchases and hope you find joy in them which I think you already do. That's what makes spending money on these things worthwhile. :)

Awesome! Glad that you're happy with your purchases Mr. March, I agree with Falcon18 - nothing beats the feeling of feeling like your money was spent on something that meets or exceeds your expectations.

Now I want to go buy something myself...

-b.

If I had been collecting for the years inbetween my last 1/48 scale Yamato toy and now, perhaps I wouldn't be so enamoured with these two figures. But gawd damn, there's so many improvements and refinements over the years to these Macross toys, it's just blown me away how solid and detailed these things are. I feel like I need a VF-25 now. You know, to just "round out" the collection :)

The Arcadia VF-1 1/60 truly is a thing of beauty. Old time members here on MW may remember my many posts proclaiming how my idea of an ultimate VF-1 transformable toy would combined the perfect transformation of a Yamato with a variation on the proportions of the Hasegawa plastic model line of the VF-1. Some model builders actually built transformable Hasegawa models and while they weren't ideal, it was the attempt I always wanted to see. I truly feel this Arcadia VF-1 1/60 is a very close realization of that dream toy. It has the most favorable design compromises between the Fighter and Battroid modes that I've ever seen in ANY VF-1 transformable toy. The Arcadia build also has so much of the articulation I always wanted. I think the Arcadia is also the best proportioned VF-1 especially for an animated mecha that uses plenty of anime magic. I also feel this 1/60 scale has hit the size sweet spot; it's large enough to command attention on display but not so large it takes up too much space. A real treat for a VF-1 fan like me.

Edited by Mr March

I'm glad to hear we've steered you in a direction you're pleased with.

That 25F has been restocking everywhere. Maybe it's time to nab one of those as well? The finish on the Bandai Valks is different, though. Very shiny and lots of Tampo. They look/feel different from an Arcadia Valk. Personally I'm a fan of the matte, then again I think you should look into one of the Yamato VF-19 releases as well but they're shiny like the Bandai Valks are too.

IMO, in terms of line art accuracy, I would say the VF-25 Renewals are the closest to perfection.

The VF-25 Messiah was built for animation with perfect transformation in the earliest stages of it's concept design because the actual CG models absolutely demanded uniform proportions to work properly. None of the other Macross productions (except Macross Zero) had such restrictions, so the animators for SDF Macross through to Macross 7 could play with the designs fast and loose.

The only thing companies like Arcadia and Yamato can do is create a BEST FIT toy that attempts to recreate the drawn, animated valkyries that were never originally designed to have a perfect proportional and transformable toy counterpart. As long as companies could build transformable toys that looked "kinda right", that was enough for the toy technology of the time and the limited budget the toy consumers could afford. Today, we're all grown up men with full time careers and apparently plenty of money to waste on expensive nostalgia products of our beloved youth. So obviously companies can build much better stuff :)

I'm glad to hear we've steered you in a direction you're pleased with.

That 25F has been restocking everywhere. Maybe it's time to nab one of those as well? The finish on the Bandai Valks is different, though. Very shiny and lots of Tampo. They look/feel different from an Arcadia Valk. Personally I'm a fan of the matte, then again I think you should look into one of the Yamato VF-19 releases as well but they're shiny like the Bandai Valks are too.

You've indeed done good by me. Thank you so much Mommar.

Buying a VF-25 is inevitable at this point, lol. I have also heard mention on other forums that the VF-25 Renewals are being restocked, so it looks like perfect timing for me to grab one. I'm not so worried about the finish or style of the Bandai products; reading what you all have to say and watching youtube videos it's clear that the VF-25 renewal line will be just as good a purchase for me as these Arcadia figures. Plus, it kinda feels right to have one Valkyrie from each major generation of the Macross valkyries. I'm going to get one.

Edited by Mr March