Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

Got invited to the Home Beta. It's pretty cool, and I can see it being a great place to find NEW people(not on your friends list) to play games. I opnly spent around an hour with it so far, but it does have a lot of potential for those who like that sorta thing. Best of all would be clan and guild type meetings to discuss things such as has been discussed before. One thing....a lot of the things your avatar can do are...gay. Anyone who sees the bow and spin will surely laugh. Then bust out a robot dance with a bubble machine and get weird looks.

On another note, I saw the Greatest Hits of Resistance and Assassins Creed in Wally world today. The AC had the red box (it's not translucent like the HD DVD ones..it's a solid dark red) but the resistance ones had just a new slip cover with the red at the top. Not sure which looked better.

Got invited to the Home Beta. It's pretty cool, and I can see it being a great place to find NEW people(not on your friends list) to play games. I opnly spent around an hour with it so far, but it does have a lot of potential for those who like that sorta thing. Best of all would be clan and guild type meetings to discuss things such as has been discussed before. One thing....a lot of the things your avatar can do are...gay. Anyone who sees the bow and spin will surely laugh. Then bust out a robot dance with a bubble machine and get weird looks.

On another note, I saw the Greatest Hits of Resistance and Assassins Creed in Wally world today. The AC had the red box (it's not translucent like the HD DVD ones..it's a solid dark red) but the resistance ones had just a new slip cover with the red at the top. Not sure which looked better.

I've been meaning to get a PS3...mainly for Blu-ray. My problem is that I want a PS3 that is backwards compatible...and I think my time is running out on getting one that is backwards compatible. I just wish the price would drop enough so that I could pull the trigger!

There isn't a single game for the PS3 (except for maybe MGS4) that interests me.... That's another thing that's keeping me from buying a PS3 now.... I can only hope and pray for a Macross game that comes to the PS3. Then I'd feel like I was getting more bang for my buck.

Macross as a game might actually be inevitible with Bandai behind a powerfull new show. As for backwards compatability, I'd suggest tracking down a 60GB model and swapping a new HDD unit into it before installing any games. It was scary how easy the drive swap was. Even with game info on the factory installed disk.

I've been meaning to get a PS3...mainly for Blu-ray. My problem is that I want a PS3 that is backwards compatible...and I think my time is running out on getting one that is backwards compatible. I just wish the price would drop enough so that I could pull the trigger!

There isn't a single game for the PS3 (except for maybe MGS4) that interests me.... That's another thing that's keeping me from buying a PS3 now.... I can only hope and pray for a Macross game that comes to the PS3. Then I'd feel like I was getting more bang for my buck.

MGS4 is pretty much the only console game I play these days, and is very much worth it. MGO!

I have the 60GB unit that has backwards compatibility, and I noticed something that isnt good with playing PS2 games on it. When you go to load the game, it disconnects the controller, like the machine is resetting, and then it doesnt display the picture for the first minute, then we get flashes of it and then the title comes on. It would almost be better to play those titles on the PS2 except for the pregnant wife likes the wireless Bluetooth controller...maybe I need to get her one for the PS2 so she can play that. I am just afraid that trying to play PS2 games on my system is going to frag it one day. I love my PS3 and I gave my son my XBox 360 and PS2 so I could focus solely on the PS3, but I still have a few games that I want to play on that system.

Twich

No fair I want an invite. I'm pretty lucky getting most invites. Why not home?

I notice that our Clan disbanded after a change from lower case to capitial letters.

Only way to switch from lower to upper was to restart it. Just send a join, and I'll add you back in.

I have the 60GB unit that has backwards compatibility, and I noticed something that isnt good with playing PS2 games on it. When you go to load the game, it disconnects the controller, like the machine is resetting, and then it doesnt display the picture for the first minute, then we get flashes of it and then the title comes on.

That's the first instance of a problem like yours I've ever heard of. Maybe something's wrong?

That's the first instance of a problem like yours I've ever heard of. Maybe something's wrong?

I sure hope not. I don't have a lot of hours on my PS3...the biggest for me is playing MGS4 and Resistance. My wife has several hours with Folklore and then Jak II, Ratchet and Clank and a few downloaded PS1 games. I would be very upset if it were screwed up! Well, let us see, maybe I will just have to switch the PS2 games to the PS2 Slim.

With a new baby due any minute now, I cant afford to have to replace a PS3.

Twich

I for one would seriously like to see a better flash player and a better browser for the PS3. I think that if they improved the functionality of the browser and flash/shockwave player and combine that with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I could see my PS3 being an attractive alternative if you have mutlitple people and few PC's. I know people say...Just use a PC, but sometimes I dont want to, or my wife wants to use the PC and I just want to look at macrossworld or ign.com or something...that way we both get what we want and I get to use my PS3 to maximum potential! Just my $.02

Twich

PS-Sony could partner with google to make a version of their Chrome broswer compatible with the PS3!

Edited by twich

I never got the whole thing about why home was so important myself, just another way to meet some friends on the internets and maybe watch some free movies. For that matter I dont get the whole reason that Little Big Planet is going to be so big, so I get to build stuff and share it with whoever may pass by my part of the online world. Didn't garrys mod do that 3 years or more ago? All incoherent rambling aside I bought Mercs 2 recently, its actually good! It may be alittle short (of course I could be spoiled by MGS4) and the driving may suck but the online co-op is pretty fun, just jump in and out of a friends game like its nothing to help them out and you even get to keep the money you earned.

Still want Warhawk players for my Clan. Have 7 members now and climbing. Trying to get organized so we can get up on the next tournament and get some fancy knives.

I have the 60GB unit that has backwards compatibility, and I noticed something that isnt good with playing PS2 games on it. When you go to load the game, it disconnects the controller, like the machine is resetting, and then it doesnt display the picture for the first minute, then we get flashes of it and then the title comes on. It would almost be better to play those titles on the PS2 except for the pregnant wife likes the wireless Bluetooth controller...maybe I need to get her one for the PS2 so she can play that. I am just afraid that trying to play PS2 games on my system is going to frag it one day. I love my PS3 and I gave my son my XBox 360 and PS2 so I could focus solely on the PS3, but I still have a few games that I want to play on that system.

Twich

What Ps2 game is giving you this problem? perhaps it's because of a certain game?

I play a couple of PS2 games on the Ps3 and it loaded up pretty quick. I also have the 60GB model.

Pretty much every PS2 game that I try has the little issue, my wife is sitting here with me and she just said that when a little voltage issue with the TV stopped, the trouble with the PS3 stopped, so maybe it was the tv after all.

Twich

My PS3 shuts down the controller when starting up PS2 games. Does it all the time, has done it since day one, and on every PS2 game I have. I always assume it did that because the guts of the machine were "switching gears" between PS3 mode and the PS2 emotion engine. You even see the screen flip for the shift in resolutions.

I was looking at the 60 GB models on Amazon and Good Lord are they expensive.... Anywhere from $700 to $1300 brand new! The 60 GB models have the hardware emulation while the 80 GB models have the software emulation...right? I'm a little worried about compatibility issues if I were to go with the 80 GB model....

Edit: I just found out that only certain 80 GB models are backward compatible. -_- I guess I need to find myself a MGS bundle....

Edit #2: Does anyone know how long the MGS bundles will be sold?

Edited by Oihan

I just scored a 80gb ps3 (with backwards capability)from a friend for a $100 buck!!S (best day/deal of my life!!!). I was just wondering how would one go around to switching the HD for a bigger one? Do I need need to back up the system info before i swap them, or what?Also is it true I can import Japanese blu-ray movies and games too?Dear god I hope so. ^_^

Still want Warhawk players for my Clan. Have 7 members now and climbing. Trying to get organized so we can get up on the next tournament and get some fancy knives.

I still want a PS3 Port of Ace Combat 6 so we can blow people out of the skies on PS3. I'm jonesing so bad I'm even considering picking up the upcoming tom clancing fighter game.

Does anybody know for sure that Ace Combat 6 is coming out for PS3? :unsure:

It was supposed to. BUt it's been silent for awhile. Some speculate that we might see the Ridge Racer syndrome, like Ridge Racer 6 and 7 instead with Ace Combat.

THE GGL tourny turned into a total joke. The knives were cool but were they really worth the hassle and bickering between clans?

I was looking at the 60 GB models on Amazon and Good Lord are they expensive.... Anywhere from $700 to $1300 brand new! The 60 GB models have the hardware emulation while the 80 GB models have the software emulation...right? I'm a little worried about compatibility issues if I were to go with the 80 GB model....

Edit: I just found out that only certain 80 GB models are backward compatible. -_- I guess I need to find myself a MGS bundle....

Edit #2: Does anyone know how long the MGS bundles will be sold?

Yep the newest 80gb models aren't backward compatable at all. You gotta get the one's from last xmas. The 60gb still performs better than the 80 and has fewer problems. I've heard that malfunctions requiring return were a bit higher on the 40 and 80gb version.

I just scored a 80gb ps3 (with backwards capability)from a friend for a $100 buck!!S (best day/deal of my life!!!). I was just wondering how would one go around to switching the HD for a bigger one? Do I need need to back up the system info before i swap them, or what?Also is it true I can import Japanese blu-ray movies and games too?Dear god I hope so. ^_^

Its right in the manual...step by step...couldn't be easier. Go get yourself a 320GB SATA drive (notebook size) for when the PS3 starts its TIVO like service.

The 60gb still performs better than the 80 and has fewer problems. I've heard that malfunctions requiring return were a bit higher on the 40 and 80gb version.

We've been getting a good number of 40gb repairs at my old store, the usual culprit is the DRE error. But one thing to keep in mind is that 40gb units have been selling briskly and I think it's safe to say that there's more of them out in the wild as opposed to the 60/20gb units.

Another theory I have is that I've seen the 40's selling quite well among casual gamers, who are more likely to put their PS3's through a hardy workout and less likely to take care of them (most of 40's we've repaired looked like they've been pulled from frat houses). Whereas when we were still selling the 60's/20's, a lot of our customers admitted they weren't gamers and we're getting them because they were A/V enthusiasts. Feel free to draw your own conclusion, but I think it's another factor worth considering.

Its right in the manual...step by step...couldn't be easier. Go get yourself a 320GB SATA drive (notebook size) for when the PS3 starts its TIVO like service.

When's that supposed to happen? That'd be nice.

Makes you wonder though when Sony's going back into the game business. :ph34r:

When's that supposed to happen? That'd be nice.

Makes you wonder though when Sony's going back into the game business. :ph34r:

The tivo service is supposed to be limited to overseas markets, the US is not getting it. Too many incompatible TV services, apparantly, is the reason we're not getting it.

Something to keep in mind, the new 80GB's are using a smaller manufacturing process, its either 45nm or 65nm, I haven't been able to find solid info on that. Anywho, it'll draw less juice and produce less heat than any of the earlier models.

i got warhawk,can i join the clan?

Of course. I should have put my PSN in my post. PSN: Uxi, shoot me a friend. Otherwise I'll look to hit you up at Maximus_Drunkus when i get home tonight.

We've been getting a good number of 40gb repairs at my old store, the usual culprit is the DRE error. But one thing to keep in mind is that 40gb units have been selling briskly and I think it's safe to say that there's more of them out in the wild as opposed to the 60/20gb units.

Another theory I have is that I've seen the 40's selling quite well among casual gamers, who are more likely to put their PS3's through a hardy workout and less likely to take care of them (most of 40's we've repaired looked like they've been pulled from frat houses). Whereas when we were still selling the 60's/20's, a lot of our customers admitted they weren't gamers and we're getting them because they were A/V enthusiasts. Feel free to draw your own conclusion, but I think it's another factor worth considering.

That's interesting. I still love my 60/160 and would take another 60SKU over any other. Course, I never had any heat or fan noise issues... definitely more of the AV type.

I see.She didn't have the manual, but thats no prob.Thanks for the help jwinges! ^_^

A friend of mine told me that, regardless of which model one may have, they can download the emulation software from the PS Store and play PS2 games. Is this true? Could someone please confirm this for me? I'm not having much luck with Google. ...Maybe I'm just using the wrong keywords. Anyway, thanks in advance!

As far s I know, no such software exists. Only thing close I know of, is a patch that will partition a part of the PS3's hard drive to fool certain PS2 games that support it into thinking there's a PS2 HDD.