Macross skins in Ace Combat

Tochiro

Sure they could, all they have to do is not be region code enforcing bullies, and let all regions use the same DLC.

Actually no, they couldn't (presuming that by 'them' you mean Namco Bandai'). From experience, ALL add-on DLC on PSN is region locked. That's not to say that it matters where your IP is, but the DLC must be from the same region that you got the disc from. You can purchase DLC from the JPN store but unless you have a JPN physical copy of the game, the DLC won't work- usually the game won't even recognize it. I'm fairly certain that this is a Sony policy (am currently undergoing preparation to submit a game to Sony at work and they have plenty of similar policies in place).

The good news is that there's a way around this- the fact that the system is region free! Assault Horizon is 2500-3000yen 2nd hand at Amazon JPN at the moment and will only drop in price from now on so PS3 users have the option of importing and then picking the DLC up from JPN PSN.

Edited by Tochiro

Actually no, they couldn't (presuming that by 'them' you mean Namco Bandai'). From experience, ALL add-on DLC on PSN is region locked. That's not to say that it matters where your IP is, but the DLC must be from the same region that you got the disc from. You can purchase DLC from the JPN store but unless you have a JPN physical copy of the game, the DLC won't work- usually the game won't even recognize it. I'm fairly certain that this is a Sony policy (am currently undergoing preparation to submit a game to Sony at work and they have plenty of similar policies in place).

The good news is that there's a way around this- the fact that the system is region free! Assault Horizon is 2500-3000yen 2nd hand at Amazon JPN at the moment and will only drop in price from now on so PS3 users have the option of importing and then picking the DLC up from JPN PSN.

You should really try to get this information out there to people, because I don't think it's common knowledge and Sony is definitely not going to talk mention any of it.

The only problem is: do you really want to give Namco Bandai money for Assault Horizon? The skins are great for sure, but the game is...less so :(

Well well well, very satisfied that I was able to DL them. US 360 and AC, but Japanese XBL account and I can use them online! Hey-Oh!

Interesting, details? And have you heard of anyone doing this with the PS3 version (would prompt me to actually finish the game).

Interesting, details? And have you heard of anyone doing this with the PS3 version (would prompt me to actually finish the game).

Well it notes the 30th, but I would have preferred that the NAVY on the engines read UN SPACY instead, but oh well. Both schemes were 400MS. Other than that, nothing else really. Very easy to modify the 1J scheme to an M&M pair. No modifiers to gameplay unlike the schemes from AC6. Either way, makes the F-14 more flyable and enjoyable just to be zipping around launching AIM-54s and humming Dog Fighter to yourself. :lol:

Oh, and no. Everybody I know except my brother does all their gaming on 360.

Ok I just got the DLC on JPN PSN and it works just fine with a Japanese version of the game. Interestingly enough, because the game is fully bilingual (Japanese and English voice and subtitle options) the Valkyrie skin description is bilingual as well - I had my system set to English so it actually came up with an explanation in English saying that the skins were from Macross.

While they are only cosmetic, I swear using a Valk makes some of the gameplay changes make a lot more sense to me. And the close up dogfighting feels like its straight out of Macross Zero now. Why oh why can't Bamco make a Macross game with this Engine?!?? Heck, at least they could use the same sort of gritty textures and close up camera work!

Well, it's nice to want things I guess...

Ok I just got the DLC on JPN PSN and it works just fine with a Japanese version of the game. Interestingly enough, because the game is fully bilingual (Japanese and English voice and subtitle options) the Valkyrie skin description is bilingual as well - I had my system set to English so it actually came up with an explanation in English saying that the skins were from Macross.

While they are only cosmetic, I swear using a Valk makes some of the gameplay changes make a lot more sense to me. And the close up dogfighting feels like its straight out of Macross Zero now. Why oh why can't Bamco make a Macross game with this Engine?!?? Heck, at least they could use the same sort of gritty textures and close up camera work!

Well, it's nice to want things I guess...

That would be awesome, replace shiny Valks with girtty ones! I agree though, it does enhance the gameplay in some form.

Japanese version of the game costs almost twice as much as the North America version on Yes-asia. After getting japanese PSN cards that will be quite expensive.

Edit: Even more expensive on Amazon.

Edited by Fly4victory

Japanese version of the game costs almost twice as much as the North America version on Yes-asia. After getting japanese PSN cards that will be quite expensive.

Edit: Even more expensive on Amazon.

Maybe look for 2nd hand sellers who are willing to ship overseas? Most stores have the game at approx. US$25-$30 2nd hand in Japan, although there does seem to have been a boom in 2nd hand sales since the DLC came out last week (due to the IdolMaster content, most likely).

That video is unrealistic, it displays competent flying of a VF-1J-ish plane. We all know Hikaru wasn't capable of getting anything done.

HIkaru was like Launchpad McQuack. A great pilot who couldn't stick his landings.