Advice Needed

Kyp Durron

OK, so here it is, I'm in need of advice on my next purchase, keep in mind I can get only ONE of these anytime soon. I'm very torn between Bandai's Ozma's VF-25S and the VF-19 Advance.

For those of you with both, which is better? Keep in mind that this will most likely stay in fighter mode.

Depends on what "for a while" means....the 25S will not likely get another re-release....the 19 Advance may get one more.....then there is the start of the new Macross series next year sometime...may just want to save your cash and get something totally new from the show...

Depends on what "for a while" means....the 25S will not likely get another re-release....the 19 Advance may get one more.....then there is the start of the new Macross series next year sometime...may just want to save your cash and get something totally new from the show...

You've got a point about the VF-25S.

For those of you with both, which is better? Keep in mind that this will most likely stay in fighter mode.

Fighter mode is key.

The VF-19 takes some work to look good. If you go this route, make sure to watch the videos that have been posted in the VF-19 Advanced thread. There are multiple steps, and if you attach the add-on parts, some steps require you to fiddle with transformation joints. The videos will definitely save you time and frustration.

In contrast, the VF-25S does not need much (if any) tweaking to display in fighter mode. Out of the box, you simply raise the twin tails (the two vertical stabilizers), spread the wings as you like, and lower the gear (for a gear-down display) or leave them alone to attach the Valkyrie to a stand for an in-flight display. Oh, and don't forget Ozma. ;)

I would go with the VF-19 Advance. It's a overall more bang for your buck package.

As for a reissue, Bandai might not even do one for the VF-19 ADV since they release it in a HUGE batch this time. And if they ever reuse the mode, there's a high chance it'll be in some other color.

The VF-19 ADV is a one of a kind custom with fastpacks , effect parts and 3 stands included.

The VF-25S is a repaint with a different head :ph34r: it's super parts now cost a arm, it's armor parts now cost a arm and leg,

The price of the VF-25S is pretty stable right now, but the VF-19 ADV is probably going up as I type this.

Both are great Valks and the 25 is a very cool thing especially Ozma's which is in my mind the pick of the Messiah bunch but personally I would be getting the VF-19 Advance.

Its a fresh newly designed and technically more advanced toy and even though it will probably cost you a little more than some examples of Ozma which are available out there but in terms of value for money I definitely think the 19 is the better buy! And I found it a far more enjoyable toy to handle and play with compared to a 25..

I'd go for the VF-19ADVANCE because the set has bundled everything you need inside it. The add-on sets from Plus plus ( :blink: ) the shoulder armor and boosters from the second Frontier movie.

On the other hand is the Messiah the iconic Valkyrie from the Frontier era so as a fan I would like to have at least one representation of it in my collection. However the VF-25S looks naked without the Armored Parts which are super expensive at the moment.

If you like to gamble you could hope for a Armored VF-25S bundle from Bandai. It seems likely to me that the reissue a bunch of stuff to bridge the gap to the new Macross series.

The VF-19 has a bunch of cool trick in its transformation but since it will mostly stay in Fighter-Mode this might not be a criteria for you.

I thought you had a vf-25s already?

Anyway i think vf-19advance will go in price sooner than the vf-25s. After the reissue i think there is a lot of them in the wild that will keep the price stable. I dunno i guess it depends on when you think you'll get around to buying other one. Things could drastically change in 6 months.

The price/market value of the Bandai VF-19 Advance can only go so high due to the existence/MSRP price of the Arcadia YF-19....the Arcadia YF-19's market price has hit a brick wall ever since the Bandai VF-19 Advance was released....and it is shrinking back down closer to MSRP....

There is only one company so far doing VF-25 -anything......and they will not be re-releasing the VF-25S in particular anytime soon.........

Pay for it now while the price is close to MSRP...or pay for it later! ;)

Would weighing some pros and cons help?

(Note: some of these points are subjective and based on my opinions.)

VF-25S Pros:

- Cheaper

- Fast, easy and fun to transform.

- Has many add-on options available.

- Sleek looking fighter mode.

- VF-25 is primary valk of Frontier.

- Piloted by Ozma and Ozma's colors look pretty good.

- Has a track record of being relatively QC problem free.

- Can be converted to a 2 seater.

- Very accurate looking to the CG model in all modes.

- Is Skull leader and is the only one with the skull design painted on it.

Cons:

- Doesn't come with any armor parts.

- No hardpoints on wings for missiles.

- Add on parts are now fairly expensive, hard to find, and might not be re-released.

- Intake fan looks embarassingly crummy. Best to leave the cover on.

- Some people don't like the look of it naked.

- Has a glossy finish.

- Lower half of gunpod barrel housing can be a little fragile.

VF-19Adv Pros:

- Looks a lot like the YF-19's design.

- Intake fan looks a lot better than VF-25's.

- Comes with the super parts and additional accessories like some mini stands and pinpoint barrier cabbage.

- Has hardpoints compatible with the missiles, torpedoes and pods that come with the VF-171 super parts. Can hold up to 3 items on each wing.

- Has a lot of cosmetic gimmicks like the built in collapsible filler pieces for inner leg, neck cover built into shield, internal missile compartment in leg.

- Has a more accurate color than the Arcadia YF-19.

- Die cast swing arms for the wings have some detail and stay in place better than Arcadia version.

- Comes out of the box with a non-glossy finish.

Cons:

- Terrible/goofy looking GERWALK mode due to location of the twist joint being in the upper thigh instead of the knee.

- Can be frustrating for many to transform. Not as easy or fast to transform as the VF-25.

- Chest piece in battroid mode doesn't lock down well and can lift up while trying to move the arms.

- Fighter mode with super parts on has a large gap and visible tab between the wing glove and the legs.

- Is not really a replacement for the YF-19. (Has different markings and canopy for example)

- More expensive.

- Can be frustrating to transform with the super parts on as the boosters and the back leg piece fall off easily in the process.

- Ankles don't seem to have as much side to side range of motion as the 25 partly due to the housing being in the way.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the only reason to get a VF-25 over the VF-19A is if you can get the armor as well. And since that's not getting re-released, and aftermarket costs an arm and a leg, I say go 19. My VF-25's sit bitterly in their boxes because of this. I'll probably end up selling them.

As I have a VF-25, I'll be getting the VF-19 advance. It's close enough to the YF-19 (I can imagine it being a custom painted VF-19A) that it as much as doesn't matter, and while yes it's more expensive, you're getting more than just the fighter, so it balances out. The VF-19 Advance is really the only toy I'm thinking about right now, because of my love affair with the 19 series. After that, it's super parts for my VF-171EX (if I can still find them).

Good call on the VF-25S Kyp! At least you missed out on the pre-order madness in getting it. To think that it was selling for up to USD500 before! :blink:

If its staying in fighter mode, then the 25S will be a beautiful piece with its large Skull Leader insignia and color scheme. The Armor and Super parts will only cover these up, so don't be in a hurry to get them, especially in the prices they're selling for now. You can always wait for a kind-hearted MWer to sell their extra ones for a more reasonable price later on. ^_^

Where would you even get a VF-25S from at a reasonable price? I've got a VF-19 Advance and absolutely love it, but a VF-25S would be the one Frontier Valk I'd hanker for, and have had no luck finding at a decent price.

But you really can't go wrong with either. The VF-19 is a must have in my opinion because it has that modernized design, yet still a classic look.

Good call on the VF-25S Kyp! At least you missed out on the pre-order madness in getting it. To think that it was selling for up to USD500 before! :blink:

If its staying in fighter mode, then the 25S will be a beautiful piece with its large Skull Leader insignia and color scheme. The Armor and Super parts will only cover these up, so don't be in a hurry to get them, especially in the prices they're selling for now. You can always wait for a kind-hearted MWer to sell their extra ones for a more reasonable price later on. ^_^

Yep, it looks best without all that stuff on it, IMO. That big skull on the back is a major selling point to me.

Edited by Kyp Durron