Homeworld2 Demo tommorrow!

one_klump

Welcome to the MW Forums one_klump! Thanks for the great news about Homeworld 2. This might be the first PC title I've picked up in many years, I was a huge fan of the original (and the expansion version Cataclysm) and can't be happier about the sequel. You get SO involved in the games storyline......by the time I got to the end of the single player mode. Whew. What a great game. :D

Edited by UN Spacy

It's on several different news sites (Gamespot for one thing, and Relicnews also has it).

Can't wait . . . out very soon . . .

I wonder if it will feature custom markings . . . either way, it would be good to make some, before it gets released.

Edited by Wing Commander Chen

hmmm after viewing an ftp link posted in a fourm i noticed a teaser file which was obviously not the demo but when i went back to check a secound ago premission has just been shut off

the server is still on its just the directory for homeworld 2 that they cut off

Edited by evirus

I used to play Homeworld online whenever I had free time. Did you guys have pretty good tactics? I'm more of a Destroyer hoarder.....I'll come in with Capital Cruiser's and large fighter support. :ph34r:

I used to play Homeworld online whenever I had free time. Did you guys have pretty good tactics? I'm more of a Destroyer hoarder.....I'll come in with Capital Cruiser's and large fighter support. :ph34r:

Same here! Usually hyperspacing behind enemy lines.... even better! Right on top of thier mothership. :lol:

Same here! Usually hyperspacing behind enemy lines.... even better! Right on top of thier mothership. :lol:

Hahahaha. I'm not sure if you guys have played Starcraft, I always felt a little nervous when the computer says NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED. I get the same feeling when I'm playing Homeworld and the computer says HYPERSPACE SIGNATURE DETECTED (and the blips on the map are even scarier when they're by the mothership!). Where's my Carrer?!?! Run!!!!!!!!

Just finished playing the demo! All I can say is if you liked Homeworld you're going to LOVE this one :wub:. It seems to me they cleaned up the interface a bit making it a little easier to control the units. Ships now leave the mothership in squadrons instead of one at a time. The graphics are just stunning, the first battle,when the ships engage just blew my mind :o . The audio track seems to be done first rate. All in all the game looks like it going to be great and I'm going to have many sleepless nights :blink: Well that's my humble opinion and I hope the full game lives up to the demo :p

I'm downloading the demo from gamespot now :p

hey boobyduck, are you a basic (free) member or are you a paying member at gamespot? i ask you this because i am a basic subscriber and i downloaded the gamespot downloaded program and i coundnt get it to work, i was wondering do you have to be a paying member to download ithe demo?

You mean my beautiful carrier? It's a Hiigaran Carrier.

Screenie_.png

If you look at the front section, there's the launch bays. I'll find another pic for the carrier (love the carrier).

Here's another logo I used. >_>

The Taiidan forces are now the Vaygr (spelling?), and they are unplayable in the Demo.

post-6-1062699997_thumb.png

The front of the carrier has a Advanced Sensors slot, and the back you can blow up the engines and resource bays. Fun stuff. Also, on the left of the Lacus Clyne Badge, are the Gun Platform Module and the Hyperspace Module. No Hyperspace module means none of your ships (Frigates and carrier) can jump. Frigates can't jump without the support of a ship that has a Hyperspace module.

And here's the underside of the carrier. The farthest bay you can see is where Frigates and etc. ships come out of. The bay to the right of it is where the fighters and corvettes land (they launch at the front), and that yellow strip on the bottom next to the landing bays is where resource collectors drop off their stuff (and like I said, it can be blown).

post-6-1062708169_thumb.png

Ok, last carrier shot . . . possibly. >_> Anyways, the top front bay is where fighters come out of. The bottom bay (which can't be seen well in this shot) is where the corvettes launch from.

Poor, poor carrier. I'd hate to be them.

post-6-1062708361_thumb.png

I haven't been able to try the Multiplayer settings yet. Lemme know if you guys are interested in a little game tonight. What can I say about the demo without going overboard? Gorgeous cinema's and graphics. Excellent soundtrack and very detailed ships. Upgraded interface and tweaks.

But....it seems like they could have done more. For some reason it seems like that same ol' game (not that there's anything wrong with that). B)

I haven't been able to try the Multiplayer settings yet. Lemme know if you guys are interested in a little game tonight. What can I say about the demo without going overboard? Gorgeous cinema's and graphics. Excellent soundtrack and very detailed ships. Upgraded interface and tweaks.

But....it seems like they could have done more. For some reason it seems like that same ol' game (not that there's anything wrong with that). B)

Oh? So you got the same feeling of deja-vu I got when playing the single player missions? :(

As for the ships... I'm glad they made the ships more specialized, and the new designs are much better then the old. My other gripe... the new interface is bad, and the new research system very hard to get used to. :(

My other gripe... the new interface is bad, and the new research system very hard to get used to. :(

I feel your pain.......in the original Homeworld the Research Interface was on a completely different subscreen. In HW2 it's almost as if they're putting too much information on the main interface. I'm sure I'll get used to it.......I guess I'll have to start playing this game a little more. :ph34r:

I downloaded this yesterday, and I haven't really had the time to play around with it. But, for those of you using a Radeon 9000 pro 128 (because I'm not sure about the other cards), if you're experiencing excessive slowdown, and I mean excessive, go and download the new Catalyst 3.7 drivers available from ATI. Not only do you get a speed boost (due to optimized coding), Homeworld 2 will now run at proper framerates.

But what I've seen is making me want it NOW. I don't wanna wait!

I downloaded this yesterday, and I haven't really had the time to play around with it. But, for those of you using a Radeon 9000 pro 128 (because I'm not sure about the other cards), if you're experiencing excessive slowdown, and I mean excessive, go and download the new Catalyst 3.7 drivers available from ATI. Not only do you get a speed boost (due to optimized coding), Homeworld 2 will now run at proper framerates.

But what I've seen is making me want it NOW. I don't wanna wait!

For somereason it told me to dl the new drives too.... even though I have a brand new Radeon 9800 128 Pro. <_<

The funny thing is.... most of the problems fixed by the new drives have nothing to do with game plays. :(