Homeworld2 Demo tommorrow!

one_klump

has anyone tried using the EMP blast from the scout fighters??  I figure a combined use of EMP+defense field+mines+everything else could deal a lot of hurt to your attackers..

Yeah. It's not bad. It's good for giving weaker capital ships like frigates and destroyers a fighting chance against monsters like the Vagyr battle cruiser. Defense frigates are somewhat useless. I haven't figured out how to use them properly yet because the field goes offline quite quickly and once you throw them into battle, they're usually the first thing the enemy goes for, and these things can take very little punishment. Mine's are VERY good. They're just as good as they were in the first one... actually, I would say better, because now you're given the option of creating the location and size of the field of mines you want to deploy. However, each ship has a limited supply and you can't just LITTER the enter place with them like you could in Homeworld 1. I think each minelayer is allowed to drop three max. If they explode then the minelayer can make more, but they are only allowed to have 3 ACTIVE mines at once. Also, even though they have a forward mounted gun, they tend to like to just sit around and do nothing in the middle of a fight.

In the end, the best way to to win is just through overwhelming force and constant buildup.

Edited by imode

oops sorry. well the emp thing wasn't so great for me i would hit the button for it but nothing would happen.. but the refinaries being used as anti fighter support helped a bunch... and i tried to build a bunch of defenses field frigs but it would only let me build 2 :( . i was gonna like use them so as soon as one would run out i would turn on the other.. but two of them is almost close enough, but some weapons still get through so i'm guessing they don't block everything when they are online. now i'm on the board after you destroy makaans fagship but i'm playing that board over to see if i can have 2 dreadnaughts... but i'm not sure if that is possible so please let me know so i can just move on instead of trying to whittle down that fleet so i can try to capture a ship that i can't capture lol.. but sajuuk is really cool though. but yeah sorry for not saying anything sooner i just got sucked into the game again after i passed that board.. it has got to be the hardest mission on the game...

Damn, this game is uber hard, yet uber sexy!

Scouts are rarely attacked when theres something stronger around like intercepters and bombers attacking the enemy.

I,ve found it usefull to have a group of scouts in evasive formation set to fire emp on all targets, while my larger group of fighters and corvettes chip away at enemy strikecraft and capital ships. That way the battle lasts longer, and your forces do more damage.

Passed it in about 68 hours.

Cant wait for the mod tools.

how do you set the scouts to continuously fire their EMPs? I thought you had to hit a hotkey

Not exactly. They fire it off once and then it recharges. The targeted ship is disabled just long enough to be destroyed.

I like the game. Personally I think the best all round unit would have to be the Torpedo frigates. 21 (the max frigates you can build) will plow its way through capital ships and fighters alike.

I've also been lurking about at the Homeworld2 forums and I think I may have been one of the lucky ones in terms of bugs...

well I got to, and beat, mission 12 in only 2 tries.. I'm thinking maybe it was because I didn't jump in with much.. but I quickly built A LOT of torpedo frigates..

I basically used a strikeforce of 2 battlecruisers, the dreadnaught, ~15 torp frigates, 8 interceptors, and 8 to 10 pulsar gunships.. all in a frigate line (f6) strike group.

I never encountered more than 2 enemy battlecruisers at one time, and they usually had a support of 2 destroyers.. the torp frigates chewed up any enemy bombers and gunships that got close, and the ones that got past the first salvo were chewed up by the fighers and gunships in the middle of the strikegroup.. meanwhile, the big ships are firing on the enemy cruisers..

I did this slowly pushing ahead in an offensive just chewing up everything in my path.. had frigates, fighters, and gunships always in the build queue.. and probes everywhere.. gotta see what's out there!

I almost forgot.. had a small group of 3 mobile refineries moving around with the strike group to help take down fighters and bombers..

• 2 weeks later...