Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie

Valkyrie Nut

You guys haven't tried Snes9x?  This is the emulator I use.  Easy to use and I think is the best out there.  Try it.

I've used both.

Ease of use is similar, and ZSNES is FAR superior in terms of emulation accuracy.

Especially sound. I'll use it once a new sound core is implemented.

Sounds you say? I'll see if this has a new version, but I really have to find time. Been busy lately. :(

You guys haven't tried Snes9x?  This is the emulator I use.  Easy to use and I think is the best out there.  Try it.

I've used both.

Ease of use is similar, and ZSNES is FAR superior in terms of emulation accuracy.

Especially sound. I'll use it once a new sound core is implemented.

Sounds you say? I'll see if this has a new version, but I really have to find time. Been busy lately. :(

SNES9x is still using a quite inaccurate sound core as of the current version.

I actually speak with one of the developers occasionally. He's working on a new sound core, but it was far too glitchy for inclusion in the current release.

IF anyone on Macrossworld is looking for a great SNES/SFAM you should check out www.znes.com

I also know of a website with EVERY game (in .zip format) ever made for the SNES/SFAM console. Just PM me if you want the link.

:D

IF anyone on Macrossworld is looking for a great SNES/SFAM you should check out www.znes.com

I also know of a website with EVERY game (in .zip format) ever made for the SNES/SFAM console. Just PM me if you want the link.

:D

*winces*

Test the URLs before you type them.

It's zSnes.com.

And I seriously doubt the presence of every game ever made, as not only is no one sure how many that is, but it's a safe bet many are (at best) undumped or (worst-case) lost forever when the Satellaview network went down.

Edited by JB0

• 2 years later...

I just got Scramble Valkyrie for my modded SNES recently. It's agreed that it's hard and wondering if there are cheat codes? Long ago the old school EGM2 magazine showed one that you could choose levels, or I could be wrong.

Edited by gerwalk25

I just got Scramble Valkyrie for my modded SNES recently. It's agreed that it's hard and wondering if there are cheat codes? Long ago the old school EGM2 magazine showed one that you could choose levels, or I could be wrong.

422649[/snapback]

No codes that I know of.

It wasn't THAT hard, certainly not as difficult as Gradius Gaiden, R-Type, Einhander or any of that crowd of shooters. Just use Max until you memorize and defeat all of the trouble spots, and then you'll be fine...

Edited by myk

There is a level select, though I never used it. Game is definitely easiest with Max (especially last level), hardest with Milia. Last level has some of my all-time favorite SHMUP music.

Be sure to use the Minmei effect to snag a Zentradi cruiser as often as possible, they are far better than any other of the "helpers" you can have.

There is a level select, though I never used it.  Game is definitely easiest with Max (especially last level), hardest with Milia.  Last level has some of my all-time favorite SHMUP music. 

Be sure to use the Minmei effect to snag a Zentradi cruiser as often as possible, they are far better than any other of the "helpers" you can have.

422729[/snapback]

Hey...how do you use that Minmei effect? I've been wondering about that, I've always done it accidently.

Tried to post earlier, MW wasn't working for me for a while. Level select: (I never actually tried it I think, as I'd won by the time I found it)

"When the Zamuse screen appears, press up, then go in a 360 degree counter clock-

wise motion twice, then press L, R, L, R. Go to the options screen and if

there's a Stage Select option, then it worked."

I don't know if rolling or tapping out the d-pad works better.

Minmei effect: if you stop shooting, a yellow glow will surround your valk. Touch an enemy with it. The power of Minmei's singing will bring them over to your side. You'd be surprised how powerful of an enemy you can get.

There is a level select, though I never used it.  Game is definitely easiest with Max (especially last level), hardest with Milia.  Last level has some of my all-time favorite SHMUP music. 

But Millia has the coolest battroid weapon!

Seriously, I place Hikaru as the easiest. Once he's powered up, he's pretty hard to stop.

He's got by far the best penetrating weapon, and all 3 modes have a good fire area.

Max's weapons are too weak except for the GERWALK's barrier chain(or whatever that thing is).

Homing lasers are awesome, but puny. They're really easy to use, so he's a good "learner" Valk, but they lack the firepower needed for later levels. I seem to recall the spread gun being pretty weak too.

The barrier chain is also awesome, and supremely powerful too, but hard to use. Also lacks a bit of reach for some of the places you really want a penetrating weapon for.

But the chain IS the perfect Max weapon, since it requires fancy flying to use effectively. I always thought his spread gun and homing laser were just wrong for the character.

Also gave him an odd mix of weapons, since fighter and battroid were insanely easy to use and GERWALK was very difficult.

Millia is definitely the hardest to use, though. She's seriously hampered by the crappiest penetrating and spread weapon in the game.

If she had ANYTHING else on GERWALK mode, she'd be a far more useful character. Her fighter and battroid modes pack some serious firepower.

But as-is, if you actually need piercing or vertical fire you're screwed.

Final stage, Max in gerwalk mode. That weapon alone makes Max the easiest to win with IMHO. If you've played enough R-type or Thunderforce you should be good at using that sort of weapon. Milia's battroid has the most firepower, but the rate of fire is so poor you'll die many times waiting for the next shot to go off.

I think Hikaru probably averages out as the best as having no real weakness, while Max and Milia each have a weakness in one mode that counteracts the usefullness of another. But since Max has the best gerwalk, and its most useful in the final stage, it is thus easiest to win with him.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Final stage, Max in gerwalk mode.  That weapon alone makes Max the easiest to win with IMHO. If you've played enough R-type or Thunderforce you should be good at using that sort of weapon. 

Fair enough.

And I admit I haven't played much Thunderforce(Thunderforce V is the only one I have, and I haven't spent much time on it), but RType's force units don't behave at all like Max's chain weapon. It reminds me more of Gradius' options.

Not that I'm particularly GOOD at RType... it becomes pure level memorization after a few stages, and I vehemently detest memorization games.

So me and irem have a very love/hate relationship. The first couple of levels are beautiful, and after that I just wish the entire dev team would die painfully.

But that's another subject entirely.

Milia's battroid has the most firepower, but the rate of fire is so poor you'll die many times waiting for the next shot to go off. 

But it's so cool when it does go off! :)

I think Hikaru probably averages out as the best as having no real weakness, while Max and Milia each have a weakness in one mode that counteracts the usefullness of another.  But since Max has the best gerwalk, and its most useful in the final stage, it is thus easiest to win with him.

Provided you can get there. Max was almost unplayable in the tunnel stage, IMO.

Each of the 3 definitely has stages they really shine on, and that they suck at. Hikaru just sucks less in his bad stages.

Of course, Max never falls into ACTUALLY unplayable, which Millia DOES at a few points. I've never found a way to get through some parts of the game without just eating hits. The flooded zentradi ship springs to mind.

I'm gonna have to fire the game up again soon.

R-type Final has plenty of weapons that do the "mimic in trail" thing.

Thunderforce 5 is actually the one I was thinking about, as the best weapon (never remember its name, but it moves opposite of you and is like a green vectoring laser) is also another really good way to get used to the "moving in trail" weapons, just in a different way.

Gradius has the trailing options, but rarely use them like that--for Gradius I usually like stuff spread as much as possible.

R-type Final has plenty of weapons that do the "mimic in trail" thing. 

Ah, yeah... Final has a little of everything.

The single tentacle laser(and variants of the concept) was probably the closest on that one.

Honestly, I think irem just dragged out every idea they'd ever had and threw them all into that game.

Game's full of homages to irem's other games(except Metal Storm. :( )and random gameplay concepts(some of which work better than others...).

It makes ImageFight look like a good idea, too. The Daedalus series weren't the most powerful, but they were neat planes to fly.

Pity they didn't play half as well in their own games as in RType Final.

Thunderforce 5 is actually the one I was thinking about, as the best weapon (never remember its name, but it moves opposite of you and is like a green vectoring laser) is also another really good way to get used to the "moving in trail" weapons, just in a different way.

I handle straight mirroring really well already, so I'm reasonably good with the lock-on laser.

I just never got a really good handle on "snake" weapons.

Gradius has the trailing options, but rarely use them like that--for Gradius I usually like stuff spread as much as possible.

True. It's just the first thing I could think of that did the "snake" behavior.

If you're playing Gradius 3 with the charge laser, it even bears a bit of weapon similarity, now that I think of it.

Man, I haven't played that in years...

Now that this is the horizontally scrolling SHMUP thread:

Thunderforce V is probably my fave of all time. Originally played it on the Saturn, but didn't beat it until I got the PSX version! Neither version is graphically perfect, each one omits some things. I prefer the PSX overall, but the Saturn does Stage 3 SO much better, it's like a different stage.

Gradius V: I turned on invincibility and STILL couldn't beat the final extra stage! That convinced me I'd never beat it normally, so sold it. Gradius III is the best in the series by far, and among hte best shooters of all time.

R-Type Final: usually just play through on easy to test out ships and weapons. "Future World" is a fave of mine, for both colors and weapons. Actually like it more than Delta I think. (Delta had better ships though--with fewer options, they seem to have tweaked them a lot more)

Is Gradius V the version that was just released on the PS2?

Also, I didn't know you could grab a Zen-Cruiser in 'Scrambled. I was always content with the "DORA 394," the pirahna like thing that would end up trying to bite your valkyrie if there were no enemies left-lol...

Yup, you can grab a few Zentradi ships, the size you can snag doesn't show up that often though---there's more multi-screen-long ones in the game than the smaller ones! (I can never keep Zentradi ship classes straight)

But when you get them, they rock.

Now that this is the horizontally scrolling SHMUP thread:

Thunderforce V is probably my fave of all time.  Originally played it on the Saturn, but didn't beat it until I got the PSX version!  Neither version is graphically perfect, each one omits some things.  I prefer the PSX overall, but the Saturn does Stage 3 SO much better, it's like a different stage. 

You know, I really SHOULD have a Saturn around here somewhere... I need to fix that omission from my collection.

Gradius V:  I turned on invincibility and STILL couldn't beat the final extra stage!  That convinced me I'd never beat it normally, so sold it.  Gradius III is the best in the series by far, and among hte best shooters of all time.

*laughs*

I bought Gradius V because A. it was in the bargin-bin, and B. I was assured it was a lot less cheap than prior entries in the series.

The people feeding me line B lied.

R-Type Final:  usually just play through on easy to test out ships and weapons.  "Future World" is a fave of mine, for both colors and weapons.  Actually like it more than Delta I think.  (Delta had better ships though--with fewer options, they seem to have tweaked them a lot more)

Future World... ah, start of the Gallop line.

That whole series was fun(So's the Gallop game, coincidentally).

I usually mucked with the colors, so the default palletes meant little to me.

Let's see... Ragnarok 1 left me cackling maniacally.

I LOVED the hyper cannon in RType 3, and removing the overheat effect makes it more fun than should be legal, even if it's a tad lacking against bosses.

And the Eclipse got flight time just for the effect where the ship reconfigured with your selected speed.

I really liked the look of the OF series that came off of that one, too(the above-mentioned Image Fight planes).

Speaking of Delta, I liked the Cerberus too.

Is Gradius V the version that was just released on the PS2? 

Yes.

Of course, it was a while back now.

The idea I liked a lot was from Genesis/Megadrive's Gaiares (spelling?) That was a nice premise, with getting weapon data from enemies.. shame it took so long to get them fully powered.

UN squadron and Earth Defense Force on the SNES were fun. I also have a lot of Darius Twin flashbacks...

Scrambled Valkyrie was okay, but I like it more because it was macross then on it's own merits, sadly

Edited by Phren

Yeah, the main criticism of both 'Scrambled and DYRL was that they focused more on story and visuals rather than being "shooters" with a level of difficulty that aptly matches that category. Considering the great Macross vacuum back in those days, I easily overlooked those games' shortcomings and enjoyed them...

For me my pick was Hikaru.

If you notice when you change throughout the modes, there seems to be a change in the manoevubility in between fighter and Battroid mode. Fighter mode is by far the quickest, and the three lasers have great penetrative ability. Millias GERWALK beam boomerrangs were cool too though. Max is certainly a good beginner valk, those homing balls were awesome, but yes do lack power. It's pretty goodfor the bosses if you are dodging half the time and can't really aim.

• 13 years later...

Necro'ing this thread as my first post on the boards - as I'm just getting back into Macross collecting and made this one of my first purchases so I have something to play while I wait for my other toys to arrive :)  

However since I store all my SNES games in matching custom cases, I had to throw together some custom box art for this one since it has never had a North American release (and figured someone would appreciate it here or might even have use for it)

MACROSS-PRINT1.jpg.457eaaf73505d0d5646e25fd1201afdd.jpg