Macross PS2 Game

Chicago

Hi all,

Please bear with me while I ask some newbie ?'s.....Ok, now for us US playstaioners you NEED a boot disk and the game????? What games out there have the vf 11, 19, 22 on them??? Are there any cheat books or are the games pretty self explainitory??

If you want to use it on a US PS2, you need to mod your console. This could be as simple as the so-called "slide card" (although there have been warnings about that one's effect on the console's longevity) or as complex as soldering something into the system. Some of the solutions involve using a boot disk as well. (I'm using a flip-top cover with boot disk and it works fine.)

I don't know what games have those Valks, but this one definitely doesn't have any VF's beyond the VF-4, which is apparently unlockable at some point. I think Macross VF-X2 may include some of the Valks you mentioned, and of course the M+ game should have some of them, but I don't really know anything about those games. Take a look at the main page (not the forums) in the games section.

The big thread on this game is here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=281

How daunting is the game for a non-Japanese speaker? Can you follow the general drift of what's going on, or are the missions sufficiently complex that you need to translate some of the instructions? And, if the latter, is there enough info on the net to clear up any language barriers?

Thanks alot...

How daunting is the game for a non-Japanese speaker? Can you follow the general drift of what's going on, or are the missions sufficiently complex that you need to translate some of the instructions? And, if the latter, is there enough info on the net to clear up any language barriers?

Thanks alot...

If you saw the tv series and DYRL? there is no problem with the japanese.

So far, the most useful links I've found are at

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/496/496660p1.html (Walkthrough with introduction describing the controls, etc.)

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/archive/index.php/t-19581.html (Discussion following a review; one posting has a quick rundown of most of the controls)

The info on controls from the above may have some omissions/inaccuracies--I've only tried the game a little bit so far. One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is that if you're used to true flight sims, you might be more comfortable with the "Normal" controls instead of the "Easy" controls that a lot of people recommend. At least, I've found that with Normal I can roll the plane a full 360 degrees using just the stick; in Easy, the stick seems to steer as opposed to bank, like in Battlecry.

So far, the most useful links I've found are at

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/496/496660p1.html (Walkthrough with introduction describing the controls, etc.)

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/archive/index.php/t-19581.html (Discussion following a review; one posting has a quick rundown of most of the controls)

The info on controls from the above may have some omissions/inaccuracies--I've only tried the game a little bit so far. One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is that if you're used to true flight sims, you might be more comfortable with the "Normal" controls instead of the "Easy" controls that a lot of people recommend. At least, I've found that with Normal I can roll the plane a full 360 degrees using just the stick; in Easy, the stick seems to steer as opposed to bank, like in Battlecry.

OMG, Veritechs in a Macross Game? why the roteck fan just don't play to a robotek game? :blink:

Just remember the evasive moves, they make a lot of difference.

Erm, which isn't to say that his walkthrough isn't confusing at points. E.g.: Prometheus stage 2. I won't say any more than that there are TWO timers in this stage, and all of his discussion concerns the second one.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother to post that except I found another FAQ/walkthrough:

http://betermusic.myrice.com/aero/r_doc/SD...Walkthrough.txt

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

What exactly do the modifications do to the ps2 to make them playable?? Do the mods effect playing any us released games? How do you come across the mods to the play the game?? playstation.com?? What is the best mod?? Will the mods play ANY non us release games??

Edited by e_jacob77

This was discussed a great deal in the thread I linked earlier in this topic.

Basically, what I have is a PS2 with a "flip-top" modification and Swap Magic DVD. A google search on those terms should yield the info you need. I can't speak to any other kinds of mods, but this particualr combination doesn't affect play of US games. The only imports I've tried are the Macross PS2 game and Energy Airforce: aimstrike. Both work perfectly, but I think there may be a few PS2 imports that won't work without jumping through additional hoops (if at all). If I want to play import PS1 games, I may have to get a different boot disk called "Breaker Pro".

Also try http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/50

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/113

and http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/114

I'm thinking about getting the game now while its available in quantity; even though my brother hasn't modded his PS2 yet and I'm not living at home at the moment. Those are just details I'll take care of later :lol: . Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone knew of a good site to pick up the game from. I googled and have so far checked out the following sites:

NCSX

buyritegames

lik-sang

Play-Asia

lik-sang looks like the best deal because of the free worldwide shipping. also found a couple copies on ebay.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows any other good/reputable import game sites and/or if anyone has bought from any of the places I linked above.

Like I said, I just got a chip installed. Picked what I wanted, shipped it out, and got it shipped back. Now my PS2 auto detects which country the games are for, and boots accordingly with no probems thus far. No boot disc's, no swapping, & no slide card's required.

As for Macross, I picked it up from NCS, they've always been a good shop.

You know I really loved this game, but I would have liked it to have more of a sidestory feel... that Is I didn't want to be the one to take on the spies in an armored Valk, or be the one to fly into Bodolza's fortress and destroy his Jar... I woud have liked the characters develope in a Zeonic front manner. but ah well it was still a good game.

I thought the mission where you have to go get info from the zentradi ship computer was pretty interesting...especially since no such computer A.I. is ever shown in the series :)

Though right now I'm playing through campeign in Zeta. That game is too freakin' fun for such a simple concept.

Yes, it is an interesting mission. Sure would like to know what the AI says. Something like "Des dekans [something]". I remember it phonetically because I heard it so many times before getting my ass kicked. (Though I eventually figured out how to get an S rank on the level pretty easily.)

whatta bummer! I've already done a search on the subject and I've got some idea about my woes, but I thought I'd post anyway. My sad story is: I got a flip-top and swap disc 3.0 to play the Macross game I got from Play-Asia. My PS2 is about 4yrs old (not sure the version...I haven't looked to see. I got it when Metal Gear Solid 2 came out). Anyway, I tried to load up the Macross import with the swap disc and it won't load. I just get the red border-that looks like hot pink.

Now, it could be a whole host of things that's not allowing me to play this game, but anyone else out there having the same problem? I realise that the swap disc products page says it is only designed for back-ups and such, not imports. So just what is the deal with swap magic and playing imports then? Looks like my PS2 console is a freak and that I'll to modchip-it to get it to play imports. Just thought I'd get it out here to vent...and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Edited by Bucketrider

Sorry to hear about your problems...

The official (?) swapmagic page, http://www.swapmagic3.com/ , does say that Swap Magic is for imports.

For technical questions and advice, you should try http://forums.afterdawn.com/ or figure out where Big "O" is lurking. (You might need to email him since I don't think he comes here very often.)

Edited by ewilen

whatta bummer! I've already done a search on the subject and I've got some idea about my woes, but I thought I'd post anyway. My sad story is: I got a flip-top and swap disc 3.0 to play the Macross game I got from Play-Asia. My PS2 is about 4yrs old (not sure the version...I haven't looked to see. I got it when Metal Gear Solid 2 came out). Anyway, I tried to load up the Macross import with the swap disc and it won't load. I just get the red border-that looks like hot pink.

Now, it could be a whole host of things that's not allowing me to play this game, but anyone else out there having the same problem? I realise that the swap disc products page says it is only designed for back-ups and such, not imports. So just what is the deal with swap magic and playing imports then? Looks like my PS2 console is a freak and that I'll to modchip-it to get it to play imports. Just thought I'd get it out here to vent...and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Which swap disc are you using? The one for DVD games or CD games?

I have a flip top and the Macross game works fine. I have a PS2 from the US launch. My swap discs are the 2.0. version though.

Which swap disc are you using? The one for DVD games or CD games?

I have a flip top and the Macross game works fine. I have a PS2 from the US launch. My swap discs are the 2.0. version though.

Thanks for responses. I've tried both discs and even tried using CDLoader. Got so fed up. I suspect it's a conflict w/ the 3.0 version and my system version. Who the f~ knows? I'll try to track down a copy of Swap Magic 2.0 but at this point it's money down the drain.

If I can convince myself to do it just so I can be kid all over again, then I'll just have to drop some more on a pre-modded PS2 from modchipman.com

HI all,

Time to ask a really simple ?, and I apologize....Are the vf's in this game variable during gameplay??

Yes you can switch between B/G/F when you want, there are some exceptions, the Vf-1J with the GBP-1S can't transform and you can't detach the armor and the VT-1 doesn't have the battroid mode.

I have that flip-top and I use the DVD disk. It works beautifully. Not a single hitch. I bought mine about 8 months ago, or when the Macross game came out, so I may have the older boot disk. No probs here. I wish I had an answer for you, but all I can say is, use the DVD boot disk and check all connections that you made when you installed the flip top. Could it be you disconnected something? Wish I could help more, it's one hell of a game.

• 2 weeks later...