Mod for the New PS2

RichterX

My local shops here in Hong kong told me that the modded PS2 can play all region games original or boot as well as all region DVDs!

Whether it will work is another question, maybe trying to hard sell me the console!

Andy :)

Boot disc does not work with all imports. It is definitely a no-go with games on dual-layer DVDs. The MGS games are on dual-layer, so is Xenosaga I believe.

I am not aware of any mod chips that allow your PS2 to watch DVD movies from other regions.

Older PS2 and older gameshark allowed DVD region free.

Boot disc does not work with all imports.  It is definitely a no-go with games on dual-layer DVDs.  The MGS games are on dual-layer, so is Xenosaga I believe. 

I am not aware of any mod chips that allow your PS2 to watch DVD movies from other regions.

Older PS2 and older gameshark allowed DVD region free.

Are you talking about the ones with the oldest version of the driver saved on the memory card?

They removed that easter egg because the CSS was threatening to revoke their DVD license. And moved the player to flash ROM to stop people from installing the old player on new PS2s.

Being able to scrap the pack-in memcard was just a bonus.

Ironically, the updated drivers that come with the DVD remote install to the memcard anyways, presumably because they decided people were too stupid to do a BIOS upgrade safely.

i'll be the guy who keeps getting brand new PS2's for free while some sucker can buy it over and over again each time it breaks.

Nah, I'll just buy an Xbox and be done with it... :)

i'll be the guy who keeps getting brand new PS2's for free while some sucker can buy it over and over again each time it breaks.

Nah, I'll just buy an Xbox and be done with it... :)

A. Won't run PS2 games.

B. Not exactly the paragon of reliability either. Though it's a sight better than Sony's record, and the drive is a standard part, easily replaced.

Got some details on how they mod the PS2 over here, basically they solder on another chip, which will result in letting you play all original games from any region and boot games!

As with DVDs, well only all coded discs and the region where the machine was supplied with, no multi region DVD player :(

Andy B))

I got the fatter PS2 modded with a second control and memory card for 260, 230 after giving my PS1.

It runned some of my older PS1 game copies also it played the DVDs I had.

I was able to play the six games I got for it with no problem.

Starwars Battlefront, Dragonball Z Budokai 3, GTA: San Andreas, Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, Metal Gear Solid 3.

I hope it keeps working fine, I left it at my parents home. I am in the states now and will not be able to play with it until june when I go back...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just as Sweekz says, nowadays people buy a harddisk and get all their games loaded onto it. This way apparently is hardly any load time and the PS2 uint will last longer as there is less moving parts contribuiting to wear and tear!

Btw has anyone tried a modded PS2 online; is it true that it will not work? Also is online gaming with the PS2 any good. I just got mine and plan to test it out!

I have an Australian/Euro SCPH-39002 PS2 with a DMS3 modchip installed. I have yet to find a PS, PS2 or DVD media that it can't run. It runs my original import R2 DVDs, PS and PS2 backups, JP original games etc. I highly recommend this method of modding.

Using a HD sounds intriguing because I use my PS2 for everything! I don't own a stand alone DVD player and I'm worried I'll wear my PS2 out soon enough with all this talk about shoddy manufacturing :o

Andy, it is true that PS2 online will block you if you have a modchip installed (It can detect it in your system). However the DMS3 is so awesome it even has a stealth mode to avoid this detection when playing online (the system will revert to its original capabilities). The stealth feature is also useful when installing utilitilies like the DVD player disc etc. which won't install on a normal modded system.

The DMS3 modchip certainly allows you to play DVD originals from any region on earth. It definately works when I load up my R2 of Versus on my PS2.

http://www.dms3.com/home.htm

Andy, it is true that PS2 online will block you if you have a modchip installed (It can detect it in your system). However the DMS3 is so awesome it even has a stealth mode to avoid this detection when playing online (the system will revert to its original capabilities).

That's XBox.

PS2 lacks a coherent online system. Assuming you can tell from the outside world, it's up to the individual game servr maintainers to block or not.

Andy, it is true that PS2 online will block you if you have a modchip installed (It can detect it in your system). However the DMS3 is so awesome it even has a stealth mode to avoid this detection when playing online (the system will revert to its original capabilities).

That's XBox.

PS2 lacks a coherent online system. Assuming you can tell from the outside world, it's up to the individual game servr maintainers to block or not.

I haven't connected my PS2 online before so I don't know first hand but my DMS3 instruction sheet says its stealth mode is for this purpose. ie. it is possible for servers to detect the chip in your system and block you.

That's XBox.

I haven't connected my PS2 online before so I don't know first hand but my DMS3 instruction sheet says its stealth mode is for this purpose. ie. it is possible for servers to detect the chip in your system and block you.

Okay. Some games detect and block it, then.

The XBox is well-known for this, though. MS' XBox Live service looks for mod chips when you log on, and permanently bans your 'Box if it sees one.

who said anything about stealing? I use my modchip to play imports and backups of my own games only.

That was in referance to a way to scam a large US retail chain of a new PS2.

Thats all.

That's XBox.

The XBox is well-known for this, though. MS' XBox Live service looks for mod chips when you log on, and permanently bans your 'Box if it sees one.

When you first want to go online with the PS2, you have to run the startup CD to create a network configuration (that later gets saved to a Memory Card). If the mod chip is not in stealth mode, you'll get errors if you try to auto detect your network settings.

One your network configuration is complete, it's up to the individual game servers.

Boot disc does not work with all imports. It is definitely a no-go with games on dual-layer DVDs. The MGS games are on dual-layer, so is Xenosaga I believe.

MGS3 is NOT a dual layer DVD. Nor is GTA: San Andreas. I can't speak for sure on MGS2, but I highly doubt it.

So far, I have only come across 3 dual layer games: Gran Turismo 4, Champions of Norrath (but not Return to Arms), and Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille Zur Macht (but again, both discs for Xenosaga Episode II are single layer).

Just as Sweekz says, nowadays people buy a harddisk and get all their games loaded onto it. This way apparently is hardly any load time and the PS2 uint will last longer as there is less moving parts contribuiting to wear and tear!

Btw has anyone tried a modded PS2 online; is it true that it will not work? Also is online gaming with the PS2 any good. I just got mine and plan to test it out!

I have an Australian/Euro SCPH-39002 PS2 with a DMS3 modchip installed. I have yet to find a PS, PS2 or DVD media that it can't run. It runs my original import R2 DVDs, PS and PS2 backups, JP original games etc. I highly recommend this method of modding.

Using a HD sounds intriguing because I use my PS2 for everything! I don't own a stand alone DVD player and I'm worried I'll wear my PS2 out soon enough with all this talk about shoddy manufacturing :o

Andy, it is true that PS2 online will block you if you have a modchip installed (It can detect it in your system). However the DMS3 is so awesome it even has a stealth mode to avoid this detection when playing online (the system will revert to its original capabilities). The stealth feature is also useful when installing utilitilies like the DVD player disc etc. which won't install on a normal modded system.

Wait, you have a PAL PS2, and it plays NTSC games/DVDs? I also have a DMS3, but an NTSC unit... I wonder if I can play PAL games? Lame as it sounds, I kind of wanted the Knight Rider games for PS2...

That's XBox.

When you first want to go online with the PS2, you have to run the startup CD to create a network configuration (that later gets saved to a Memory Card). If the mod chip is not in stealth mode, you'll get errors if you try to auto detect your network settings.

One your network configuration is complete, it's up to the individual game servers.

M'kay.

Haven't heard much about this aspect of things before.

Honestly, it doesn't make sense for the modchip to NOT operate in stealth mode. It shouldn't be active except during initial boot. Once the region check is cleared, it SHOULD go to sleep. Why they don't START with this design feature is anyone's guess.

Has anyone installed a hard drive (not the sony one) in the PS2 and run games from it? I am very interested in that.

I do not have one installed as it only works currently on the older big PS2 consoles and not the new slim versions!

My friend has one installed and you can use any hard drive, can also be old ones from your old PC!

Has anyone installed a hard drive (not the sony one) in the PS2 and run games from it? I am very interested in that.

My friend has one installed and you can use any hard drive, can also be old ones from your old PC!

cool!! I have to investigate more.

:D

Wait, you have a PAL PS2, and it plays NTSC games/DVDs? I also have a DMS3, but an NTSC unit... I wonder if I can play PAL games? Lame as it sounds, I kind of wanted the Knight Rider games for PS2...

You can!! My friend brought home a Japanese PS2 from there, modded it and now he can play domestic games here. Keep in mind that you're monitor has to be multi system . My PAL PS2 does put out an NTSC signal after being modded but my TV is also multisystem and accepts it unlike a lot of older TVs here.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend modded his xbox and has bios in it. So he has programs liek a media viewer. He then networks his xbox with his desktop and can view all video files off a shared file in his computer on TV. Remmeber the transforming Xerox machine and the cute asian chick? aw that on TV it was badassed. can somethign like that be doen to the PS2?

My friend modded his xbox and has bios in it. So he has programs liek a media viewer. He then networks his xbox with his desktop and can view all video files off a shared file in his computer on TV. Remmeber the transforming Xerox machine and the cute asian chick? aw that on TV it was badassed. can somethign like that be doen to the PS2?

Never seen anybody use a PS2 like that... although people seem to be modding their xbox's left right and center to serve as the ultimate media center...

slightly OT, does anybody know if a network adapter from Japan will work on a PS2 from the states? I know that the config software won't work (region encoded disks and all that), but since I just need the adapter for HD Loader, I shouldn't need the config software to work, right?

Never seen anybody use a PS2 like that... although people seem to be modding their xbox's left right and center to serve as the ultimate media center...

slightly OT, does anybody know if a network adapter from Japan will work on a PS2 from the states? I know that the config software won't work (region encoded disks and all that), but since I just need the adapter for HD Loader, I shouldn't need the config software to work, right?

The hardware should work. AS far as I know, the only reigional diffrences in PS2 hardware are A. TV type, and B. software region. Both of which are restricted to the main deck.

Heck, US network adapters still have the HDD logo etched into the case from the japanese units(which cam ebundled iwth hard drives).