What The? Ohhh Wow

evirus

Yeah, Dyrl one is actually pretty good and playable, regarding the difficulty. And the theme gets points from me. The music is ok, but hearing canon soundtrack would've been really great. Cool stuff anyway. This game I should've had at home when I was a kid. Yeah, it was only an arcade machine back then. Somewhat more affordable to play these days... ;)

Keyboard is too clumsy for these games. I'll possibly get some cheap but good enough pad when all my money isn't going to model kits... May take a while... :rolleyes:

Those arcade sticks which are supported look very cool though. But the Steel Battalion controller is enough of that stuff for me. :p I don't play nearly at all nowadays, this kind of quick to play once in a while games are the best at the moment. Heck, I didn't even finish Metroid prime 2, even if it's a great game. Those games need so much time and effort.

Yeah, Dyrl one is actually pretty good and playable, regarding the difficulty.

Yah.

I don't mind obscene difficulties, if they feel "fair" about it. But it's hard to get devastatingly hostile without lsoing that sense of fairness.

And the theme gets points from me. The music is ok, but hearing canon soundtrack would've been really great. Cool stuff anyway. This game I should've had at home when I was a kid. Yeah, it was only an arcade machine back then. Somewhat more affordable to play these days... ;)

Yah, original music would've elevated it several points higher. Same for free transformations.

Played the SNES Scrambled Valkyrie game?

Keyboard is too clumsy for these games. I'll possibly get some cheap but good enough pad when all my money isn't going to model kits... May take a while... :rolleyes:

*chuckles*

I do recommend springing for something above the bottom end. You get what you pay for, and the bottom-end pads tend to be pretty poor performers.

Those arcade sticks which are supported look very cool though. But the Steel Battalion controller is enough of that stuff for me. :p I don't play nearly at all nowadays, this kind of quick to play once in a while games are the best at the moment. Heck, I didn't even finish Metroid prime 2, even if it's a great game. Those games need so much time and effort.

MAME sticks are awesome. I want one.

Actually, I want to go all-out and make an absurd modular panel with every imaginable configuration possibility. Spinners, joysticks, joysticks with spinners in them, buttons-only, etc. Ultimate goal being the ability to assemble something very close to the "native" control panel for any game I really like.

But for now... P880 and a trackball is good.

I don't mind obscene difficulties, if they feel "fair" about it.  But it's hard to get devastatingly hostile without lsoing that sense of fairness.

Yeah, you should have the feeling you made the mistake and were too slow, not like that Macross+ insanity. It made me laugh though.

It would've been a good shoot 'em up if it was designed a little bit more reasonably. My lifespan was like 1 second. But free credits help it. :lol:

I have it for emulator, I like it. IIRC I haven't played that many levels yet. Oh, I have no idea what they're trying to say with that Engrish. Propably it's just damn "cool". :rolleyes:

I do recommend springing for something above the bottom end. You get what you pay for, and the bottom-end pads tend to be pretty poor performers.

Well "cheap" is relative. I mean more like a good compromise. If I played a lot an arcade controller would be best. No need for that. Actually, I'm getting used to keyboad controls on Dyrl. At first I played mostly M+...

Well overall the best Macross game are : 

1- DYRL (FC/NES)  :p  Yes, catchy tune. 

2- Scramble Valkyrie (SFC/SNES).   

3- DYRL (Sat/PS). 

4- Macross (PS2).

381698[/snapback]

The FamiCom game made me like Shao Pai Lon.

Sidenote: I think it's a TV series game, not a movie game. Not that it matters.

I have it for emulator, I like it. IIRC I haven't played that many levels yet. Oh, I have no idea what they're trying to say with that Engrish. Propably it's just damn "cool". :rolleyes:

I think that they got a new machine for the fighting, and it's time to scramble the valkyrie. :p

Well "cheap" is relative. I mean more like a good compromise. If I played a lot an arcade controller would be best. No need for that. Actually, I'm getting used to keyboad controls on Dyrl. At first I played mostly M+...

Heh.

Just saying, when/if you get a gamepad, don't get the 5-10$ one. You're better off staying on the keyboard at that point.

You should play Scramble Valkyrie till the end. 

JBO are you aware that a third party in Japan released officially Saturn CD-R the question is can they be used without modified Saturn.

381704[/snapback]

That's a Sega-supplied CD-R for developers. It's not a 3rd-party product(while it WAS a 3rd-party manufacturer, it was released under the Sega name, placing it in the same category as a lot of other stuff that's counted as 1st-party), or a released one.

As the page says, the only diffrence between it and any other CD-R is the label. It won't work on an un-modded Saturn.

I haven't played my MAME in a couple years, but then I saw this thread and decided to revisit the latest version. I'm glad I did because there are a bunch of great new games available, though some are yet to be perfected.

Alien Vs. Predator - I'm thrilled to play a perfected version of this game. This was such a fun game to play in the arcade because one could actually play the game on less than a buck after a short learning curve. Great stuff.

Superman - One of only a VERY few arcade games I could finish on a single quarter. I'd play this game every visit to the arcade, it never let me down. The soundtrack still gets me going.

Altered Beast - Another great arcade game I could finish on one quarter, I'm glad the new version of MAME has fixed some of the graphic and sound issues.

King of Dragons - Now here's a game that screams 80's, when fantasy and RPGs were all the rage. This is a seriously fun fantasy game. The wizard is still my favorite character :)

Rastan Saga - Leave it to the japanese to make a Conan game and the only good one at that. Though they call it Rastan Saga to avoid copyright, this brilliant game screams of Robert Howards hack and slash barbarian making it a favorite of mine during my days when I read the black and white comics.

Side Arms - This is a great mecha side-scroller. All kinds of fun weapons and your mech can even combine with the other player into a kick ass uber-mecha.

Time Soldiers - This was an unsual game due to the 360 degree rotating control. Turns out to be one hell of a game too. It was also one of the easier games because you could obtain a power-up that allowed you to survive hits as long as it was powered.

X-Men - Though the sound is still not perfected (even after all these years) this is still one of the best of the last generation of arcade side scrollers. The music was so great, I really hope they perfect the sound soon.

Wardner - This is a great title that I recall having very smooth animation and a great color palette. It's faithfully emulated and still a lot of fun. Though the final stage is still a pain in the butt, but at least it's beatable unlike so many other arcade games I used to suffer through :)

Shinobi - Had a great obsession with ninjas during the 80's and this game satisfied. I remember Shadow Dancer on the genesis was another fun game, though I don't like the arcade version.

• 4 weeks later...
i've always wanted the macross mame game but i cant remember :( how load it into my computer, i'm using Mac OSX 10.4.5. does anyone has the file? please email to me

boong357@yahoo.com.sg

...thanks....

372087[/snapback]

Okay I am ROOKIE here. Sorry for digging up old subjects, but I keep hearing about these fantastic games and I want to play em I have been a Macross Fan for ages! So what do I do.

I understand the MAME thing but what about the games like those featured on Sega Saturn and PC engine?

I have a Mac iBook max ram running OSx and I have a soft mod Xbox. Can I use either of these to run emulators?

Where do I get the ROMS?

What about VFX 1 &2, How can I can I play them and is it possible to paly them on a moded Xbox?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks so much for helping and thank you for all the knowledge you all have shared with all of us so far.

I understand the MAME thing but what about the games like those featured on Sega Saturn and PC engine? 

They have emulators too. Though there's only one Saturn emu even worth looking at(SSF), and it requires a fairly strong machine.

I have a Mac iBook max ram running OSx and I have a soft mod Xbox. Can I use either of these to run emulators?

Both.

But your choice of platform greatly limits you, as most emus are Windows-only.

You'll have better luck with the XBox than Mac, if I'm not mistaken.

Where do I get the ROMS?

Teh intarweb.

I usually use planetemu.net.

What about VFX 1 &2, How can I can I play them

By downloading the disk images and a PS1 emu.

and is it possible to play them on a moded Xbox?

Dunno if there's a PS1 XBox emu. If there is, yes.

Hey thanks for all the info I dont where to start first maybe I will try my Xbox like you said. I let you all know how it goes.

Oh by the way where can I find Playstation I & II ROMS. I checked quite a few places like those that were suggested so far but the didnt feature any PS1 0r PS2 roms. I have searched and have yet to find any leads. I was looking to see if I can locate and play Super Dimensional Fortress Macross on PS2 and VFX 1&2. Thanks I would appreciate any leads.

Edited by PIRANO

As much as I hate to congratulate Microcrap for anything, the X-Box 360 gamepad I purchased for my PC is one finely tuned gaming controller. I use it for all three emulators, MAME, ZSNES, and Gens32 Surreal. Works beautifully!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Saitex X52 Flight Control System Joystick with throttle and I love this baby. It has blue afterglow light buttons and a MFD to it. I got this thing as an early Christmas gift and I use this for every flight sim and vertical space shooter game I have. BTW, don't ask how I can play vertical space shooters using a flight stick rather an arcade joypad. ;)

BTW, don't ask how I can play vertical space shooters using a flight stick rather an arcade joypad. ;)

396806[/snapback]

Arcade joypad is an oxymoron, unless you're playing on a Nintendo Super System cabinet.

But I AM baffled as to how you can get any reasonable reaction time out of an analog flight stick. Arcade games tend to assume you have a digital joystick, and a rather tight one at that.

But then, I'm baffled as to how anyone can think a gamepad is a better weapon than a joystick too.

BTW, don't ask how I can play vertical space shooters using a flight stick rather an arcade joypad. ;)

396806[/snapback]

Arcade joypad is an oxymoron, unless you're playing on a Nintendo Super System cabinet.

But I AM baffled as to how you can get any reasonable reaction time out of an analog flight stick. Arcade games tend to assume you have a digital joystick, and a rather tight one at that.

But then, I'm baffled as to how anyone can think a gamepad is a better weapon than a joystick too.

396929[/snapback]

I guess it just depends on the game?

You're right Skull Leader. I can play some VSS with a flight sim control stick as long as the game essentialy has a rapid fire button. I'm not to good at playing them if they don't as it hurts to have to keep pulling the control stick's trigger button just to fire your ships weapons. Interestingly, there's an arcade VSS game called Air Strike in which you pilot helicopters with futuristic weaponry (much like Psykyo's Zero Gunner) through enemy territory and the arcade cabinet controls consist of a control stick as well. And don't get me wrong JB0, I don't think a flight stick is better than an arcade joypad. I just personally prefer flight sticks over arcade pads because I'm good at using them.

Edited by Phalanx

And don't get me wrong JB0, I don't think a flight stick is better than an arcade joypad.

I would hope not, since there ISN'T AN ARCADE JOYPAD.

I just personally prefer flight sticks  over arcade pads because I'm good at using them.

And I still don't see how you can move anywhere NEAR fast or precise enough for decent shooter performance with an analog stick.

• 2 weeks later...
after loading up the new version of mame ive come the the realization that..... macross 1 actualy has sound in the rom.... just figured id mention it

369913[/snapback]

I have 1 billion mame emulator games, but I didn't know there ever WAS a Macross arcade game! PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after loading up the new version of mame ive come the the realization that..... macross 1 actualy has sound in the rom.... just figured id mention it

369913[/snapback]

I have 1 billion mame emulator games, but I didn't know there ever WAS a Macross arcade game! PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

401036[/snapback]

thenationnet.com

Phalanx ;)B))

369913[/snapback]

401036[/snapback]

Given MAME doesn't even support a fraction of a billion diffrent ROM image sets, and half of the sets they DO support are duplicates or unplayable, I find your statement to be a vast overstatement at best.

369913[/snapback]

401036[/snapback]

Given MAME doesn't even support a fraction of a billion diffrent ROM image sets, and half of the sets they DO support are duplicates or unplayable, I find your statement to be a vast overstatement at best.

401088[/snapback]

Okay okay. I have more like, 120 Mame games? Is that better? Count in my NES, Sega Genesis, SNES, N64, and various other emulators, and the total comes out to be around 1 billion, yeah. :D

Last Saturday, I bought a Logitech Dual Action PC pad from Best Buy and I love this thing! I use this pad exclusively for shooters and fighting games and it works like a charm. Right now, I'm playing Macross Plus with my PC controller and I can't stop!! Now I can see somebody in a game of Marvel vs Capcom or Street Fighter thanx to this controller. :lol:

369913[/snapback]

401036[/snapback]

401088[/snapback]

Okay okay. I have more like, 120 Mame games? Is that better? Count in my NES, Sega Genesis, SNES, N64, and various other emulators, and the total comes out to be around 1 billion, yeah. :D

401090[/snapback]

Still skeptical. :)

Hmm... I forgot to link a reet warez rawmz site last time.

http://planetemu.net/ has it.