Guide to the Differences Between Macross & Robotech

lebhead

I saw ROBOTECH before Macross

BUT

a couple years before that I got an actual macross VF-1S

Something about the design of the mech and scull insignia got me

and I would draw Hikaru and MinMei from the box.

later I found another, this time packaged as a Converter

and it also had versions in different colors.

So when I saw commercials for ROBOTECH I freaked out

"cool, that's my favorite toy on t.v.!"

I watched Voltron too. The fact that the giant robots in these cartoons

were piloted by humans and had a reason for being giant robots made

me feel mentally superior to the Transformers fans. :p

Attack Of The Bionoids (DYRL) was a great discovery too!

Macross is obviously better for every reason but ROBOTECH holds a

nostalgic place in my early years and was a gateway to the anime addiction

(alongside AKIRA, Fist Of The North Star, Lupin, etc.) so I shant dis.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fast forward to 95, and my Freshman year at College.  My roommate was a Japanese guy who pointed out the differences between the shows.  I found that I liked Macross better, as the ship wasn't totally destroyed at the end, and the bridge crew wasn't killed.  All the time before that, I had only used what I had read from the Robotech novels as canon.  It was a welcome change.

I don't like the current situation with HG.  I think it is crap that they would block distribution to this country over this.  It's almost like they want to kill the demang if they can't have it.  That's what has pissed alot of people off about Robotech.  It is the representation of HG and Macek.

The quoted commentary echoes my thoughts nicely especially the part about

HG in bold. Through Junior high and High school I was really a major

buyer of Paladium' Robotech RPG line, and I'm not ashamed in th least to

still own those books along with MACROSS II.

Now before Shin and the rest of the Shiite Macross Coalition start up their

tired and abusive song again. I think that Macross PLUS is to this date the

End all Be all Shiznit! of the whole Macross flavored shebang.

I have known of the weird history of the property(ies) since high school

and it never diminished my love for it all. I just found it clever, weird,

and somewhat unnecessary.

This all changed when I found out about the remarkably shitty business

practices that HG had been employing to deprive it's fanbase. For those

actions I and my 1/48 LV VF-1A give them the one fingered salute.

If HG had even began any effort to partner with BW on bringing it all over "here"

(The US) they would be PHAT PAID and BW would be as well. We "fans"

would be able to get what we want at much more reasonable prices, and

many more people would be happier if not wealthier. But they (HG) don't

do this. They threaten import stores and act like utter children. And the

fan base gets shafted over and over. If there was ever a company I wish

had not survived the 80's and 90's it is Harmony Gold. My God how much

better things could have been in this hobby. At this point I'm just glad the

same bullshit hasn't occured more with companies like Takara and Hasbro.

As I look at my old Robotech Books I do not feel anger or some sort of

threat to my fanatical beliefs about a toyline/Anime' property.

I just wish it could have gone down better with more honor and maturity.

On all sides of the fence...

Edited by Doctor Paragon

• 2 weeks later...

I SECOND lebhead COMMENT.

CAN ANYONE COMMENT ON ANY REPLY FROM BW/YAMATO ABOUT AT LEAST WORKING A DEAL????

IS IT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM TO LOSE MONEY TO DEALERS WHO PUT A HIGH PRICE TO SHIP THEM??? INSTEAD OF MAKING A DEAL SO THEY CAN MASS SELL IT AROUND THE WORLD???

IS THEIR PRIDE THAT BIG?????

OH WELL. :unsure:

HEHEHE :p

I have a question. Did anybody hear of any rumors about ADV planning to buy HG? Some kid at an anime forum was talking bout ADV trying to get the rights to Macross 7. I told them the reasons why that wouldn't happen (BW, Music rights), and he said flat out, and I quote "You did hear that ADV plans to buy out Harmony Gold next year"

I asked him for a credible link (No fansite bullcrap), and I'll be waiting for his response. But since if there ever were news about it, I would be hearing it here. And I haven't so this is why I am asking you guys.

Did anybody hear anything regarding ADV planning to buy Harmony Gold?

• 9 months later...
However, at the time a show in America needed at least 65 episodes in order to be syndicated and Macross only consisted of 36 episodes. The solution? Very interesting indeed.

Actually at the time it was 70 episodes, which is why Macek had to include that anime abortion known as "Southern Cross"...

I remember it from an interview with the man at the time.. B))

Believe it or don't Macek was/is a huge Macross fan. I like to believe if the laws were different back then having Macross and Mospeada the only components of RT, the show would have been less fantastical and more closely grounded in the Macross universe... Since the stories of both series' complimented each other.

However, HG's desire to make everyone "believe" they have exclusive rights to all Macross properties is erroneous at best and needs to openly challenged in a court of law. Since all it is doing is impeding the importation and distribution of many more Macross properties.

Edited by Zinjo

I have a question. Did anybody hear of any rumors about ADV planning to buy HG? Some kid at an anime forum was talking bout ADV trying to get the rights to Macross 7. I told them the reasons why that wouldn't happen (BW, Music rights), and he said flat out, and I quote "You did hear that ADV plans to buy out Harmony Gold next year"

I asked him for a credible link (No fansite bullcrap), and I'll be waiting for his response. But since if there ever were news about it, I would be hearing it here. And I haven't so this is why I am asking you guys.

Did anybody hear anything regarding ADV planning to buy Harmony Gold?

241853[/snapback]

OMG is sure hope so!!!! :D

I have more confidence in ADV producing quality products than anything coming out of HG...

Case in point the Evangelion series.

Now if ADV buys out HG then i hope everybody benefits from it.

I certainly hope things get better and fans here dont get the shaft on this.

maybe there will be better avialability for ALL THINGS MACROSS :)

the New movie is way better although the character designs are different than i thought they'd be <_<

• 4 weeks later...
Actually at the time it was 70 episodes, which is why Macek had to include that anime abortion known as "Southern Cross"...

Try 61 episodes you dumbsh!t. Macross (36) + Mospeada (25). And by the way, Southern Cross was not an abortion......

343085[/snapback]

Oooh, name calling on the internet...I think I might cry... :lol:

Read my post and you'll understand where the 70 comes from... :rolleyes:

Southern Cross was "CANCELLED" in Japan! Anime cancellations at the time, were simply notifications that the studio had X many episodes to wrap up the show, before it would no longer be aired. It was meant to run longer than it did...

It was a weak assed show to begin with and made even worse after inclusion into RT!

So SouthernCross didn't make it, and thats why the story doesn't flow like the others. So they just tied up as many loose ends and thats it. i still haven't seen the original un-macek-ed version. i still dont care for the mecha in this. maybe if theres a -yammies version-

edit: sp

Edited by Macross73

• 1 month later...

I remember Captain Future too: this series was cool... when I was 8 :p

I watched one episode broadcasted onto TV a pair of years ago or so: it was still funny :)

• 3 months later...

Didnt think this comment belonged any where else

WTF! Commander Jeanne from Super dimensional Southern Cross is the most lame brain character I've ever seen. :blink: I've only watched the 1st disc , but man I dont get how she got this far in the service. I hooe she improves. Dana Sterling didn't come across so wacky.

I'll keep watching to see how this turns out. <_<

Best moment so far is when she freezes at the controls while going into space to send a message to Liberte (thier homeworld) and then gets her face slapped in order to get her going and start shooting the bioroids. -:lol: that was kinda funny.

edit: SP

Edited by Macross73

Yo Macross73, I don't know how lively the discussion would be but you should probably start a new thread in the "other anime" section for Super Dimensional Calvary Southern Cross. You'll probably get a few comments. It won't be as fun since AgentOne is banned but I'm sure 1st Border Red will have some comments about the show he'd like to share.

I dont see Southern Cross as worthy of its own discussion.

I just had to vent my frustration about it.

And since i'm back on this:

Why do they send -what are technicaly ground forces- to make an attack on a Space ship? This occurs when they have to attack the power core to disrupt the stabilizers of the Zor ship to have disabled and come crashing to the ground.

Oh well its not the end of the wold, I'll just keep watching.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow!

The complete background information behind the developments of Macross and Robotech is really extensively COMPREHENSIVE!

I always wondered why on earth there was a different Macross program that had the military-themed anthem as the music background, had different unrelated characters from Mospaeda and Southern Cross thrown into the mix during the opening. When really... I remembered perfectly that there's only one true original of Macross.

20-odd so years ago.

Take a look at this series opening on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SBFVJg4x7Y

Now that's the Macross I want to remember and cherish. B))

That's a true masterpiece of great anime work I sure dearly love when I was a kid.

Certainly brings back a lot of tears and memories.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Lebhead for Article the Difference Between Macross and Robotech. I only hope that Macross Do You Remember Love will finally be released in North America. For Carl Macek if he did not put all three series together I would have never known Robotech opps I mean MACROSS. Do not get me wrong I am in love with Macross its a superior product it took awhile for me to notice the difference between the two.

Edited by Thompson134

• 1 month later...

I've never had a problem with liking them both equally.

I strangely like the Robotech story better than Macross, but absolutely love Macross Plus and Zero. (Do you remember love is also simply fantastic)

So everything fits together nicely in my happy little world.

• 1 month later...

Well - all I really want to do after reading all of that is...

Go see Genesis Climber Mospedea and Southern Cross in the original too!

I am SO happy we have the internet and the ability to not have great things from other cultures filtered through a "more familiar" venue... I much prefer to experience the "wierdness" for myself :)

VFTF1

Well - all I really want to do after reading all of that is...

Go see Genesis Climber Mospedea and Southern Cross in the original too!

I am SO happy we have the internet and the ability to not have great things from other cultures filtered through a "more familiar" venue... I much prefer to experience the "wierdness" for myself :)

VFTF1

i agree with this. i switched to subs only once i found out that that the dubbed version of my anime dvd's said different lines than the subbed version of the same dvd.

And that neither one matched the japanese dub. :p

yea, the akira english dub was the same as the japanese subs. the ninja scroll english dubs have alot of rewrites compared to the japanese subs (like the scene with the rock guy, tessai, who has abducted kagero and is havin' his way with her). but ghost in the shell english dubs was the worse, the rewrote entire scenes (like the scene where they are explainin' to the guy that he has no wife and daughter and the endin' where she quotes the bible in the japanese version but she says something totally different on the english version). i just want to know what they said, don't rewrite the movie for me. if i wanted a weak american script, then i would watch shows and movies from hollywood.

yea, the akira english dub was the same as the japanese subs. the ninja scroll english dubs have alot of rewrites compared to the japanese subs (like the scene with the rock guy, tessai, who has abducted kagero and is havin' his way with her). but ghost in the shell english dubs was the worse, the rewrote entire scenes (like the scene where they are explainin' to the guy that he has no wife and daughter and the endin' where she quotes the bible in the japanese version but she says something totally different on the english version). i just want to know what they said, don't rewrite the movie for me. if i wanted a weak american script, then i would watch shows and movies from hollywood.

I was referring to instances where the subs were blatantly off. It happens.

I was referring to instances where the subs were blatantly off. It happens.

my japanese isn't that good. i only took one semester 'cause my school changed the class availability and i would have had to waited a year just to take part 2 of the class. so i quit and i switched to korean. not yet, i bought some textbooks, some action import movies but i get lazy about practicin'.

so, nope, i really can't tell when the subs are off. except when they translate baka as a55hole, b1tch or any other cuss word. this ticks me off 'cause we can't cuss where ever we go (like church, school, sometimes work) but you can say baka anywhere and ppl won't even notice or care.

• 2 years later...

Your all wrong. Gobots was the biggest influence on anime in the entire world.

I hope you're talking about the Japanese version (if there ever was one), because the English version was damned near atrocious.

So SouthernCross didn't make it, and thats why the story doesn't flow like the others. So they just tied up as many loose ends and thats it. i still haven't seen the original un-macek-ed version. i still dont care for the mecha in this. maybe if theres a -yammies version-

edit: sp

You can most likely find the full sets of both Super Dementional Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada on DVD at either Best Buy or at Suncoast. Edited by Wanzerfan

but ghost in the shell english dubs was the worse, (...) and the endin' where she quotes the bible in the japanese version but she says something totally different on the english version). (...)

This one is a little easier to explain - the English translators didn't realize that they were translating a quote from the bible. Therefore, it was a literal translation of the quote. So the translation ended up being something like: English > Japanese > English.

Nevertheless, the DVD that I have is accurate. Of course it's the Japanese domestic release, and not one made in another country for non-Japanese... (wish more domestic anime DVD releases were like it; as in English subtitles & dubbing options).