Great work, LTSO! Very balanced weathering to round it off.

The new decal set of the 1.5 version are a helpful, but less than perfect IMO. The blue of the lines on top of the fuselage is way off, also are the colors of the antenna fin, and the yellow stripes around the engines are too heavy. Although it was really a pain to mask, I'm glad I painted all these on my kit.

There where several errors regarding the decal positions in the first version of the kit's instructions, so I'm posting production artwork I found on the PLATZ website for color + decal reference for all who want to build this excellent kit in the future. It would be nice to see a completed 1/72 kit here.

-i-

m_bottom.jpg

m_left.jpg

m_right.jpg

m_top.jpg

yuk.jpg

You said it Valkyrie! It sucks to be broke (otherwise maybe) too bad there are the crappy character designs as well. What is it, are they originals, they seem to be loose pages...

Thanks for the line art pages, they are quite cool, love that FFR-31!! Can't wait for a Bandai 1/100 version of that baby.

• 1 month later...

yukikaze.jpg

Hey guys, for those who like animes of aerial combat(dog fights), you should check out Sentou Yousei Yukikaze. It uses 3d animation like Macross Zero, pure dog fights with a great soundtrack.

gallimage04.gif

gallimage02.gif

Its licensed by Bandai and its a 5 part OAV. You can get the first 3 episodes through mirc or kazaa lite. The story is a little weird, it deals with aliens opening a portal in the south pole and attack the humans. Humans drive them back to their world, there is no concept of their form.

gallimage03.gif

operation1.jpg

Pilot concentrates on 1st Lt. Rei Fukai, a fighter pilot who flys the Yukikaze, a modern aircraft with a sophisticated ai. The ai interacts with Rei Fukai and reacts rather odd and will stop it nothing to protect Rei. He's a loner type pilot, a good pilot, hes not the typical hotshot ace pilot. His Commander Major James Buhkar, is his only close friend, the way they look at eachother, atleast the way his commander looks at him makes you question if they are lovers or if his commander is gay, dont believe me look at the amazon.com reviews lol, so far looks like agood anime, check it out.

operation2.gif

gallimage06.gif

The next Top Gun of anime? No, Yukikaze is more like the Iron Eagle 3 of anime.  :p

Seriously though, Yukikaze is the quintesential case of style over substance. Nice looking aircraft, though.

Though I'm eager to try this anime, I bow to your flair for sarcasm :)

Edited by Mr March

The DVDs (regular and limited editions of vol. 1) are out tomorrow. I'm pretty eager to get my hands on it, even though I have all 3 available episodes fansubbed.

It's gotten a lot of criticism, mainly because its story seems to be progressing rather slowly. But I've loved it from the get-go, and I'm quite sure it's building up to something geat.

I'm sure the series will have a lot more fans once the OVA series is finished :)

I'm still kinda iffy on this show. On one hand, the animation, CG, and music are top notch. Typical GONZO. On the other hand, the story(I've only seen the first two eps) is kinda weak and the characters aren't very interesting. Again typical GONZO.

That being said, I preordered the Bandai release. Just the regular version. I don't have DTS so I don't need the extra DVD. And the flight patch isn't worth it to me. I'm sure, as alawys, Bandai will do a high quality release.

The DVDs (regular and limited editions of vol. 1) are out tomorrow. I'm pretty eager to get my hands on it, even though I have all 3 available episodes fansubbed.

This is why I lke conventions :D I got my copy of volume one this weekend at Katsucon 10 in VA. I am quite happy with what I saw so far.

The charcters kill this show for me. The main character is one of the most annoying in anime history.

I just cannot take angsty main characters in anime anymore. In real life, the main character (Rei?) would never have made it as a military pilot the way he acts.

Graham

actually its all cell animation its a special tech they use to make it look it that way saw it in a magazine the one called type something. about the dvd its say something about a patch for special edition what r they talking about.

It looks to me like the planes were all done in CG first, then cel animators rotoscoped the CG. That, or it's just very well done texture work. Either way, I like the look of the planes better than the CG Valkyries in M0. Of course, while the backgrounds in M0 are fantastic, the backgrounds in Yukikaze look very bland, and there have been spots of very poorly done CG work for the backgrounds. I also think the battles in M0 are more impressive. I did like those in Yukikaze, though.

The big thing about Yukikaze that leaves the most to be desired is the characters. None of them really grabbed me. Like everyone says the main character acts like an angsty putze through most of the show. The blond guy was allright. No other character has stood out at all for me.

The story seems interesting, and the animation is flashy enough that I'll watch the rest of the series, but it's not very high on my priority list.

I have to agree with Graham, while the animation, planes, dogfights... are super cool, the characters looks like a bunch of homosexual rockers.

Exactly!!! I hate those guys... I can't help but hoping from one episode to the other that the Jam kills them in a glorious explosion... and better characters replace them. Concerning the simmilarities with Top Gun, as you said: a bunch of homosexual rockers...

NEW TYPE USA had an article on Yukikaze vs M-0 several months back. Both directors met and discussed their views on aircraft, air combat and real life war versus fictional conflicts. Since Yukikaze came out first and adopted the cell-shading look for their CG (yes, it's all 3D rendered to look 2D), Kawamori had to find a 'different' look for M-0 to make it stand out...

The story is weird, and the characters are rather odd, like Graham said, how in the world is Rei going to be a military pilot with that attitude. Also his CO has anger problems when it comes to Rei being in trouble, hes willing to send out the whole air wing just to look for Rei. Seems like the major, the general(old woman) and Rei love to not wear their uniforms, and the doctor, shes more dressing to kill with her super high cut on the side of her skirt. The story seems interesting, I cant wait to see episode 4 and 5. The piano song from the 1st episode toward the end when Rei was just there waiting for the enemy fighter to shoot the crap out of him( i know many of you must of been furious when the experimental jet saved Rei). Pretty nice song. Also dont all the characters look depressed? and if they arent depressed looking, they look like they are on drugs when they smile?

OK what is a JAM and how do they fight? I mean I've never seen any JAM units, or anything.

We don't. At least, we don't in the episodes that I've seen. I think that's one of the fundamental flaws of Yukikaze. We're thrown into this story with no idea of who or what the "JAM" are and yet in the 1st episode we're supposed to automatically accept that they can disguise themselves as another Yukikaze. :blink:

OK what is a JAM and how do they fight? I mean I've never seen any JAM units, or anything.

We don't. At least, we don't in the episodes that I've seen. I think that's one of the fundamental flaws of Yukikaze. We're thrown into this story with no idea of who or what the "JAM" are and yet in the 1st episode we're supposed to automatically accept that they can disguise themselves as another Yukikaze. :blink:

From what I've heard they're starting to remind me of the Gnosis from Xenosaga.