Robotech and HG License Debates

Reading all this has NOT made me want to watch SC again.

I could have ignored some of the shoddy animation if the writing had only been aimed at the 20/30 something crowd.

The optimist in me says they have learned from all the fan outcry and will apply that knowledge to any new production.

Not only that, but I hope WB has gathered some serious fans, writers and creative people to turn what was something like "Batman, Robin & Mr Freeze" into something more like "Batman Begins".

If HG is waiting to see how RB can be done right before completing SR then I'm all for it . . .

Reading all this has NOT made me want to watch SC again.

I could have ignored some of the shoddy animation if the writing had only been aimed at the 20/30 something crowd.

The optimist in me says they have learned from all the fan outcry and will apply that knowledge to any new production.

Not only that, but I hope WB has gathered some serious fans, writers and creative people to turn what was something like "Batman, Robin & Mr Freeze" into something more like "Batman Begins".

If HG is waiting to see how RB can be done right before completing SR then I'm all for it . . .

Oh I'd compare it with something far more like "Batman: The Brave & The Bold" than "Mr. Freeze Subzero".

Tommy's playing the "Regent/Regess" angle from a literal perspective. One of the definitions of Regent and Regess is "someone who rules a country of people while the monarch/soverign is underage, disabled, or absent". The common sense answer based on that is that Ariel/Marlene is supposed to be the new Invid queen, and that's why she has haxx superpowers.

Ariel seems to fit the definition of a runaway princess to me, but I get what your saying. Ariel was born to eventually succeed the Invid Regess so its only natural she would develop the same haxx superpowers.

I'd like to point out that Ariel is still the only Invid ever born into a human form. Sara and Corg were both mutated from lower forms but Ariel actually hatches that way. In that sense I like the idea that Ariel is a step above all other Invid.

That might be it. Since Ariel hatched as a human she might be able to thrive off a human diet with no need for Protoculture.

Then she's the game breaker for the entire series at the moment. All that power to call up at will without Protoculture, at least for now. But where does that leave all those mechs, ships, and weapons the good guys have?

Maybe they were planning to introduce a game changer Shadow Rising. Ariel and the Haydonites haven't meet face to face yet. Considering the Comic book fan Tommy is I won't be surprised if the Haydonites are like the Invid version of Metallo and are capable of neutralizing Invid Psychic powers. Without something to counter the Invid's power its pretty laughable to think that the tin can Haydonites were able to mess with the Invid in the first place especially with the Regess's literal "God Phoenix" ability that vaporized all those huge Neutron S missiles.

Regardless of an actual game changer I think the good guys weapons will still have to be put to good use. Though Ariel does a superpowers now she is more of a shy pacifist and probably isn't going to be teleporting explosions onto her foes Macross II style anytime soon. Its kinda like when Goku learned how to teleport anywhere in DBZ, it just wasn't in his character to actually use his brain, grab a spacesuit, teleport with Cell to some remote place out in space, and then teleport him back to Earth before Cell could explode.

It looks like the idiots who own Battletech and MechWarrior now (Catalyst Game Labs) were aware of the whole Harmony Gold et. al. v. FASA Corp. et. al. case, but not the details of the settlement.

Even geniuses would have a hard time knowing all the details considering that the Harmony Gold et. al. v. FASA Corp. et. al. case ended with a confidential settlement.

But at the end of that court case, as part of a confidential settlement, it was agreed that the sole and exclusive world-wide right to these images (outside of Japan) would rest with another US company.

It is for this reason that we have chosen to revise our plans to publish these specific images in current product.

Though we spoke with a number of individuals before making our initial decision, no one involved in Catalyst was aware of this agreement. Still, the owner to these images has been very cool with us about the whole situation. They are a good group of people, and we will continue our attempts to work with them as we look toward the future.

Maybe they were planning to introduce a game changer Shadow Rising. Ariel and the Haydonites haven't meet face to face yet. Considering the Comic book fan Tommy is I won't be surprised if the Haydonites are like the Invid version of Metallo and are capable of neutralizing Invid Psychic powers. Without something to counter the Invid's power its pretty laughable to think that the tin can Haydonites were able to mess with the Invid in the first place especially with the Regess's literal "God Phoenix" ability that vaporized all those huge Neutron S missiles.

Maybe the Haydonites were the game changer, since they don't use Protoculture either. Heck, they fear anyone that uses the stuff. So both sides at this point can do things without the use of Protoculture. But there's still a need to rescue Rick Hunter and the matrix on the ship to make everything right again. Would it be satisfying for fans to return to the status quo by the end of this?

In his attempts to reinvent Robotech, as in bring in a new dimension to the whole thing, Tommy Yune may have destroyed the foundations of it by moving away from Protoculture as one of the main themes surrounding all of it. Then again, in hindsight it was a stupid part of the foundation to begin with. You could call it progress, but its execution ever since sucked hard. It hasn't stop people from blindly following it like everything else Robotech.

Edited by Einherjar