HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

Regarding the Sentinels novels, I always found it funny how the RT staff did their best to squash the entire series from being canon to basically retelling a cliff note version of it in the Prelude comics. They couldn't even make up something new to replace something that was already done for them. :rolleyes:

I could see them saying that "End of the Circle" was not Cannon, but to just pick and choose from the sentinels is silly, er wait - I forgot, sentinels left a few Zentradi alive and we can't have that, all we can have are "Aliens"

Agreed...but Sheryl Nome's? SIGN ME UP!

+1

:wub:

Regarding the Sentinels novels, I always found it funny how the RT staff did their best to squash the entire series from being canon to basically retelling a cliff note version of it in the Prelude comics. They couldn't even make up something new to replace something that was already done for them. :rolleyes:

The only way to revitalise Robotech is to send to hell all the historical fans and the historical anime. Then go to a triple A animation studio such as GAINAX, Studio Khara, MadHouse etc... pay them several milion $ to develop a new concept centered around the idea of protoculture. Throw everything else away and for god's sake come up with up to date models for spaceships, space combat, characters etc... No more Macross influence, no more Southern Cross and no more Mospeada. A fresh start. Of course such a bold move will never happen so the whole issue is moot.

I could see them saying that "End of the Circle" was not Cannon, but to just pick and choose from the sentinels is silly, er wait - I forgot, sentinels left a few Zentradi alive and we can't have that, all we can have are "Aliens"

He he the Zentradi belong to Macross and HG doesn't have the right to the story, mecha and characters to use in derivative works.

So of course they're are purging everything that even remotely smells of Macross. Until you're left only with Mospeada. ^_^

The only way to revitalise Robotech is to send to hell all the historical fans and the historical anime. Then go to a triple A animation studio such as GAINAX, Studio Khara, MadHouse etc... pay them several milion $ to develop a new concept centered around the idea of protoculture. Throw everything else away and for god's sake come up with up to date models for spaceships, space combat, characters etc... No more Macross influence, no more Southern Cross and no more Mospeada. A fresh start. Of course such a bold move will never happen so the whole issue is moot.

I too have advocated for this. If only Robotech would tak a hiatus and allow Macross/ Mospeada to come into light on their own, only to revisit Robotech later. But there are not enough people willing to give up on Robotech for the greater good. This horse is passed zombie form (HG/Robotech). They're not really putting out/ producing anything that validates as genbuine merchandise, give or take. Do you want Macross in the US? Let's try and totally urn our bacls to Robotech. Want Robotech to come into promenence, on its own? Turn your back on it for a while. It'll do some good.

What is curious, is that IF you know that what Robotech will put out will be garbage, why continue to support it at all? If you have that much fondness for nostalgia, fine, I get that. People want to feel like they did when they were a kid all the time. However, Why caress the hand that's slapping you in the face? Some RT fans, MANY RT fans, seem like the wife in an abusive relationship. They get beat up, but keep coming back for more.

Dude, what do you think the last FIVE YEARS have been, if not a hiatus...?

New Robotech? Nowhere to be seen! New Macross? EVERYWHERE. New Mospeada? Well, there was that book...

I mean a REAL hiatus. No product/ mention, etc. Not the passive; oh its that time of our contract to utilize our licensing.

Personally, Robotech can stay or go, but if it stays, fire all three knucleheads and hire new people with some real gusto. If not, then HG can go f*** off.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

I mean a REAL hiatus. No product/ mention, etc. Not the passive; oh its that time of our contract to utilize our licensing.

Personally, Robotech can stay or go, but if it stays, fire all three knucleheads and hire new people with some real gusto. If not, then HG can go f*** off.

Suit yourself...

From my perspective, Robotech can go.

What has it ever done for itself?

What is curious, is that IF you know that what Robotech will put out will be garbage, why continue to support it at all? If you have that much fondness for nostalgia, fine, I get that. People want to feel like they did when they were a kid all the time. However, Why caress the hand that's slapping you in the face? Some RT fans, MANY RT fans, seem like the wife in an abusive relationship. They get beat up, but keep coming back for more.

In fact I don't support Robotech in its present state.

I will express my opinion on how HG is handling the franchise though, and right now its very negative.

I personally sold all my Robotech stuff. Nothing left with it, HG, or Toynami's name on it anymore. I can't love what doesn't love me, LOL!

But seriously. We all say were either sick or annoyed with HG and how they handle it but we don't take any steps to unite and truely turn totally away from it. If we closed this thread and got rid of any HG product, also refusing to participate in any new releases. We could start to make waves. Yes I am an idealist.

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

They couldn't have watched it without translation. The Mospeada dub was done before Macek worked at HG and a Macross dub was the first thing Macek did. He was producing a dub of Macross before he ever heard of Revell's "Robotech". I'm pretty sure he would have researched what SDF Macross was about if at that point he wasn't trying to "Robotech" it. Maybe the other parts like Southern Cro... wait a second, Dana's rank is the same as Jeanne's. Look at the other characters' ranks. A lot of things correlate. Seems to me they knew some pretty geeky details about Southern Cross to have not looked at the translation. Macek said Tatsunoko didn't send them supporting material. Where'd they get the names for the characters and organizations from? Why not make up new ones?

What is supporting Robotech? Do Tommy, Steve, and Kevin's pay really come from Robotech sales? They usually aren't that concerned about marketing and selling product. In fact they've said before they're afraid to go out of business so they don't do much. I don't see how supporting Robotech does anything when Harmony Gold acts like it's their hobby.

Keep in mind, that for 99% of the people who actually buy Robotech, they've been on hiatus since they first saw Shadow Chronicles on the Best Buy shelf 5 years ago. A majority of the audience doesn't follow what's being said at every con, forum post, etc. When they see it, they'll be like "oh yeah, I remember that show"

Suit yourself...

From my perspective, Robotech can go.

What has it ever done for itself?

As I said before, it can and does bring in $$ when stuff actually gets produced.

Dude, what do you think the last FIVE YEARS have been, if not a hiatus...?

New Robotech? Nowhere to be seen! New Macross? EVERYWHERE. New Mospeada? Well, there was that book...

QFE

Hiatus or stuck in some harbor or becoming prey to an economic crisis, all RT fans have gotten in the last 5 years is a calender, a unfinished previously animated short, arm bands, and a re-release of a 20 year old RPG. Oh yeah and a re-re-re release of the series on blu...DVD...

vs.

Macross Frontier series, 2 theatrical releases, Macross the First, toylines for MF...does this dead horse have to be beaten again???

I was thinking about this while talking to a guildie in swtor the other night, we got into talking about anime and how he had no idea there was more Macross other then the original and that it was a shame he couldn't buy it in the US. He's not much into fansubs so I suggested just ordering it from Japan directly. Then we went into other series and I realized, wow...Macross fans are the only fans I can think of that are barred from watching their favorite series in the US. Gundam, Ghost in the Shell, Naruto, Bleach, etc...all can watch, buy, collect on a whim. While we sit and curse HG for our misfortunes. <_<

Edited by Zor Primus

In fact I don't support Robotech in its present state.

I will express my opinion on how HG is handling the franchise though, and right now its very negative.

That wasn't necessarily directed at you, personally, but moreso the general Robotech fans that sign on anonymously, or just lurk in here.

I personally sold all my Robotech stuff. Nothing left with it, HG, or Toynami's name on it anymore. I can't love what doesn't love me, LOL!

But seriously. We all say were either sick or annoyed with HG and how they handle it but we don't take any steps to unite and truely turn totally away from it. If we closed this thread and got rid of any HG product, also refusing to participate in any new releases. We could start to make waves. Yes I am an idealist.

I still have a few of my old Toynami items from years ago, and all that's left was bought 2nd and 3rd hand from private owners.For a long time now, I've refused to buy anything from them. I don't need stupid single CDs with character crotch shots, or wristbands, or calendars with Tommy Yune art. Even if they made new toys, I'm not going to support a franchise that has poor management, poor creative skill, and people that don't know their head from their @ss.

QFE

Hiatus or stuck in some harbor or becoming prey to an economic crisis, all RT fans have gotten in the last 5 years is a calender, a unfinished previously animated short, arm bands, and a re-release of a 20 year old RPG. Oh yeah and a re-re-re release of the series on blu...DVD...

vs.

Macross Frontier series, 2 theatrical releases, Macross the First, toylines for MF...does this dead horse have to be beaten again???

I was thinking about this while talking to a guildie in swtor the other night, we got into talking about anime and how he had no idea there was more Macross other then the original and that it was a shame he couldn't buy it in the US. He's not much into fansubs so I suggested just ordering it from Japan directly. Then we went into other series and I realized, wow...Macross fans are the only fans I can think of that are barred from watching their favorite series in the US. Gundam, Ghost in the Shell, Naruto, Bleach, etc...all can watch, buy, collect on a whim.

It's one of the great injustices in the anime industry. I've spoken to fans outside of the Robotech/Macross issue, and even they know about the block to some extent. Then again, if you talk to most anime fans, they know of Robotech to some bit or recognition, but a lot of times, it's the brunt end of a joke, and rightly so.

They have to redo the serie as they did with Thundercats.

Onlu then, they can bring new fans the franchise (without tarnishing other anime in the process).

I admit that I like to watch with the animation style of Marathon (but not too much humor as they usually do).

As I said before, it can and does bring in $$ when stuff actually gets produced.

Yeah but they're not hinging their entire company on it. At best is pays the salary of the four people they have working on it and whatever production costs were associated with the merchandise.

They have to redo the serie as they did with Thundercats.

Onlu then, they can bring new fans the franchise (without tarnishing other anime in the process).

I admit that I like to watch with the animation style of Marathon (but not too much humor as they usually do).

I dunno: you can't compare this situation with the many other media reboots of the recent past. All the other reboots, including ThunderCats and Nu-BSG, owe something, usually *a lot*, to the form, content, and story of their original series.

However, Robotech draws far too much from the original series for a legally-distinct "reboot" to remain anything recognizable. There are concepts introduced that are exclusive to Robotech, yes, but not enough to hang a recognizable reboot upon.

That's excluding the fact that Harmony Gold has never been able to scrape up the talent to do any kind of large media project at all.

You guys are dirty F^cking liars! Robotech was a virgin birth. Carl Macek awoke one night to find that in his sleep he had created an animated masterpiece. He concieved, wrote, & animated the entirety of Robotech all by himself, and translated it to film all by himself. He took his finished product to Harmony Gold for music & dub recording (as that was apparently the only job he couldn't do by himself in his sleep). Any similarities to the Japanese animated programs "Superdimension Fortress Macross, Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, & Superdimension Cavalry Southern Cross" are purely coincidental, but due to said similarities some fool at Harmony Gold decided to license the shows to prevent legal disputes in the future.

In 1987, Shoji Kawamori out of pure jealousy used his ninja skills to sabotage the production of the epic Robotech II: The Sentinels. Kawamori can't be blamed for "Robotech: The Motion Picture," since even Macek admits that "the world just wasn't ready for this epic piece of film, and likely won't be ready until 1999." The Wachowski Bros took heed of those words when translating "Robotech: The Motion PIcture" into live action, and fraudulently renaming it "The Matrix." Unfortunately, Macek was never able to pin the theft on them.

in 2003, knowing that his days were numbered, Carl Macek had his soul transfered into the body of the only suitable candidate to carry his Katra, Steve Yun, so that he could continue his eipc legacy into the future. Unfortunately, the awekning of his spirit has taken some time, which is why the shell of Macek's essence remained around some years to guide his new awakening. But now that Steve "Carl" Yune has fully re-awakened, he's ready to continue his epic story forwards.

Robotech: Shadow Frontier with Sheryl Sterling and Alto Hunter. The movie is made up of stitched together episode scenes. Big West/Studio Nue licenses it to them as a joke (small print on the contract says the license expires a year after it comes out).

Cut out all the singing (no budget for that). Put in like 5 minutes of DR Movie animation and shop the symbol of 3 UN Spacy emblems on the ships. Then lastly add the stretching credits. Anything else might be too much work and take up valuable convention time.

Robotech: Shadow Frontier with Sheryl Sterling and Alto Hunter. The movie is made up of stitched together episode scenes. Big West/Studio Nue licenses it to them as a joke (small print on the contract says the license expires a year after it comes out).

Cut out all the singing (no budget for that). Put in like 5 minutes of DR Movie animation and shop the symbol of 3 UN Spacy emblems on the ships. Then lastly add the stretching credits. Anything else might be too much work and take up valuable convention time.

I think you just gave Tommy the title of the next installment after Shadow Rising...

You forgot one change that is REQUIRED! Big B's locket has a picture of Rick Hunter instead of Minmei...

Speaking this, I remembered my "Robotechnation" of Frontier, which I wrote here some time ago...

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT...?

Isn't Macross doing well on its own...?

CAlm down Gubaba.

Just write in a way that wasn't as traumatic as well.

Of course that caused the rage of some here... But, better than did with the original animation of Sentinels.

I even wrote a summary of how they could adapt to the Macross Frontier for Robotech universe.

The Frontier colonization fleet would be independent of REF, which left Earth following the philosophy of Kyle Linn, ie, not depend on the UN Spacy for nothing.

Explaining the new symbol, other than it was before.

The Vajra were a variation of Invid that evolved it from direct contact with Protoculture.

Alto would link with the Linn family, a bastard son of Rick and Minmai, which would explain his ability as a pilot and great skill in the arts.

Ranka was half-Invid, daughter of Lance (Yellow) with Sera (Sorji) (totally plausible, since the ova they end Love Live Alive "together").

Already Sheryl, would not change much.

Edited by Old_Nash

CAlm down Gubaba.

Of course that caused the rage of some here... But, better than did with the original animation of Sentinels.

If you know that this is a Macross site, why would you put it up here, knowing that you'll stir the hornet's nest? I have friends that do fanfic writing, but they put their stuff up in the right places. Just sayin'.

CAlm down Gubaba.

Here's an idea...why don't you let Robotech sink or swim on its own...?

The Point is:

The right would give a reboot the serie, like many others had their revival.

Butin case they "rebuild" other Macross serie, it would be this line of events that should take.

I'm not saying that they should rape the Frontier.

With so many Robotech fans wanting to incorporate all that is Macross into Robotech, maybe Tommy should just retcon out Southern Cross and Mospeada and reboot the franchise using only Macross properties?

Not so much. Could take advantage of Eureka Seven.

Eureka is the physical form of Protoculture.That is judging whether or not humanity can return to live on Earth after the events of Shadow Chronicles.

And yes, that's a joke.

Edited by Old_Nash

With so many Robotech fans wanting to incorporate all that is Macross into Robotech, maybe Tommy should just retcon out Southern Cross and Mospeada and reboot the franchise using only Macross properties?

Where are these many robotech fans that want to incorporate anything macross into robotech that you speak of ? Some hard data would be useful don't you think ?

In any case whatever the fans want, BW/Studio Nue will never grant so its a dead issue anyway isn't it ?

From a Robotech perspective, f*ck Macross, f*uck Southern Cross and f*uck Mospeada. All hail to protoculture instead.

Unfortunately Tommy and the thinking brains (are there any left at HG ? :unsure: ) can't grasp the reality.

Not so much.Could take advantage ofEurekaSeven.

Eureka isthe physical form of Protoculture.Thatisjudging whetheror not humanity canreturn to liveon Earthafter the events ofShadow Chronicles.

Well if only one series has to be raped let it be Macross.

Why taint masterpieces such as Eureka 7, Code Geass or gasp Gurren Lagann ? :D

Yes, why don't people let it sink on it's own...without the aid of , ya know, other, respectable shows to save it.

See kids, at one point in time (during these conversations), I thought I would post my pitch for a RT reboot (just so we could get away from using anything Macross). But then as I realized in this day and age of internet piracy, IP legal news every other day, I realized I want to be actually paid for my ideas. So I refrained. And since we know how much fun legal tussles are....So yeah, whether they're good or not, I want money for MY ideas. And it's time RT stopped mooching of other franchises, too. They need to come up with their own damn ideas.

Yes, why don't people let it sink on it's own...without the aid of , ya know, other, respectable shows to save it.

See kids, at one point in time (during these conversations), I thought I would post my pitch for a RT reboot (just so we could get away from using anything Macross). But then as I realized in this day and age of internet piracy, IP legal news every other day, I realized I want to be actually paid for my ideas. So I refrained. And since we know how much fun legal tussles are....So yeah, whether they're good or not, I want money for MY ideas. And it's time RT stopped mooching of other franchises, too. They need to come up with their own damn ideas.

Well HG actually has the rights to mooch Southern Cross and Mospeada all they want curtesy of Tatsunoko, and the Macross animation as well.

If Tatsunoko actually cared about the way Southern Cross, Macross and Mospeada were treated in the west they would recind the license but they don't. Who is to blame for this ? The frakkING JAPANESE. Its not as if HG somehow fraked the japanese over. The japanese made a contract that actually gave HG the rights that people now deem are illegal. The root cause of this stems in japan not in the us.

Rebooting a franchise is easy, its done all the time. The only problem is understanding what to throw away and what to keep (and in robotech's case its throwing away 99% and keeping only the protoculture aspect) and investing a lot of money in coming up with new art concepts that don't smell like recycled 30 year old animation. HG just doesn't have the @@ to carry a reboot through plain and simple and they won't as long as Tatsunoko continues to license them the various properties.