I mainly want it for the 3rd hangar detail as I am planing to build mine open with the Seagull on the crane ready for launch. The little details around the Cosmo Zero catapult and radars is nice too.

Chris

I just bought a 1/700 PE parts set for a navy destroyer to detail up the Bandai GX-64 toy and it seems to have most of those parts (at least all the railing, landing and stairs stuff with grills that can be used for the radar too) - I wonder if there's a 1/500 set for some destroyer that would work (although 1/500 isn't that common of a scale for ships).

Finally broke down and scored a GX-64 for a great price. Also bid farewell to GX-57.

I'll have a review up by next week...alas won't be able to do a comparison like I did with BPX-01 and GX-57.

BTW anyone know the scale of that new 300 yen Yamato and Yukikaze?

A new artbook is coming, this time based on the works of Naoyuki Katoh. 80 pages long and with June 30th as the release date.

Here's the link to MAG Garden's page on the new book, with a few samples of what will be inside.

http://www.mag-garden.co.jp/yamato2199books/main-9.html

The front cover art:

ymt2199_knaw_011.jpg

Great news, who is this designer? What was he responsible for? Was he the mech designer? Pls. link when available (preferable anywhere other than Amazon - crazy shipping prices!)

Great news, who is this designer? What was he responsible for? Was he the mech designer? Pls. link when available (preferable anywhere other than Amazon - crazy shipping prices!)

Naoyuki Katoh has been a major illustrator in the world of Yamato for years. As for 2199, he did the slip cover designs and a lot of promotional artwork, like those posters in the center of the movie booklets (check the samples on the page i linked). And he has also participated in several promo events, painting live. Do a search and you'll quickly bump into his work.

Edited by westfall

So, news about the 2199 movies are starting to surface. And no, that's not a typo. Movies. Plural. Lets explain.

The first movie is a compilation movie, an abridged version of the series, much like it was done for the original, and will be titled "Voyage of Recollection" and will arrive on theatres on October 11th.

The second one, the movie that was announced a few months ago and is a new story, will arrive on December 6th and titled "The Ark of the Stars".

As for further details on the story... nothing yet. Still, this is quite a development and now we have exact dates to look forward to. :D

Edited by westfall

Just finished watching this series over the weekend. Wow!

Since then, I've watched a few clips of Star Blazers for comparison/retro fun. I love that some sequences are almost shot-for-shot remakes, like the rainbow nebula, while others give it so much more depth.

Gotta love Desslok's voice acting in SB, though.

For those interested I took a look at Funi's release of the live action Yamato movie. The original Japanese credits are intact, and strangely enough, an English dub was made, despite rumors of Kodai's actor having a contract barring that.

What is this "Funi's release of the live action Yamato movie" - where can I find any more info about it? Is it a fan made dub, or an actual licensed proper dub? Is it a BluRay release? Where can I get it? I too would love to take in all the great visuals that I missed trying to read the subtitles.

I thought "I" juwt verified it... Anyway :) it's Funimations official U.S. BD/DVD combo release. As for the quality of the dub, I didn't do much more than verify its presence (you know ky standing on dubs), as my main concern was to make sure it didn't have overlay credits, and make sure the cheesey Steven Tyler song was intact. Overall it's a solid release.

The mecha collection ships aren't completed models, they need to be built.

Chris

Edit: Kyp beet me to it. The Cosmo Fleet specials are the completed ships with the Domilus III coming out in July.

Edited by Dobber

Question, dealing with Comet Empire from the orginal 2nd season of SBS Yamato: Why does the Comet Empire/Gatlantian Dreadnaught have main guns simular to the Terrans Wet Navy ships instead of the common rotary turrets seem on almost all of the Gatlantian ships?