The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I thought the cannon was fine as-is, personally. I was particularly impressed with the clearances being adjusted just right so he can hold his arm straight out without it hitting the shoulder pads.

Of course, I didn't pay import costs. At fifty bucks, I would've expected a more coherent fighter mode, and been outraged at the situation with the nosecone and leg backs.

Well, excitement got the better of me after first pics emerged, and, believing the Takara paint job would be superior, I succumbed. In hindsight, I wish I'd just gotten the Hasbro version. It's a good figure, but for all its shortcomings (the back leg panels, no aft gear for starfighter mode, the cannon attachment), it wasn't worth the additional money for the import. But, what's done is done, and he's still the best official Galvatron to date, IMHO, unless the old CHUG tank version just does it for ya. :p

I also bit the bullet for Super Ginrai over TR PM Prime. Both have things I like and don't, but since I already have CW Ultra Magnus, Ginrai offers a number of differences over the PM Prime remold. I like that his feet have ankle tilts, even if his feet look wonky, and his arms are an improvement over the Hasbro version. I admit, though, I think I like Hasbro's stylized cab over Ginrai. I think the differences will help set him apart from Ultra Magnus, both in hand and on the shelf.

Classics Galvatron tank... jesus, havin' some PTSD flashbacks here.

I will probably buy Super Ginrai, just for the arms. I like the STYLE of Hasbro's arms, but those gaping voids are inexcusable. Especially as it is a two-part arm. If the voids faced down, they'd be covered by the bottom half.

I also like Japan's powermaster engine and truck cab better. Spacetruck is not my Prime. But the gaping skeletal arms are just an eyesore.

Dammit, why is the one I feel a desire to import the leader-class?

If I buy any (more) Titans Return toys, it'll have to be the Hasbro ones. You walk into a Target, you see it on the shelf/peg, and it becomes sort of an impulse buy. If I have to think about it enough to order it online, especially when Takara is usually more expensive even before you figure in the import costs, I'd rather just wait for a 3P to one up it.

Or in the case of Galvatron, be really happy with the Mania King I already bought to replace the crappy Deluxe-class Galvatron.

Classics Galvatron tank... jesus, havin' some PTSD flashbacks here.

I will probably buy Super Ginrai, just for the arms. I like the STYLE of Hasbro's arms, but those gaping voids are inexcusable. Especially as it is a two-part arm. If the voids faced down, they'd be covered by the bottom half.

I also like Japan's powermaster engine and truck cab better. Spacetruck is not my Prime. But the gaping skeletal arms are just an eyesore.

Dammit, why is the one I feel a desire to import the leader-class?

I love that Universe Galvatron toy. Such a neat design. Of course it has its issues being downsized from a bigger size class but he impressed me more than any other retail Transformers on the shelfs right now.

I love that Universe Galvatron toy. Such a neat design. Of course it has its issues being downsized from a bigger size class but he impressed me more than any other retail Transformers on the shelfs right now.

Sarcasm, right? If not, you're in a pretty exclusive club of Universe Galvatron fan(s). I like the idea of it- execution, not so much. The TR version, for all its warts, is an all around superior figure, IMHO.

Did some toy hunting today, and scored TR Rewind, Loudmouth, Nightbeat, and Crashbash at Fred Meyers. I passed on Stripes; I'm waiting to find the Ravage repaint. I went to Walgreen's in search of Brainstorm, to no avail. TRU had Fortress Maximus- I passed on him. Man, that's a big box! TRU also had TR Sentinel Prime, but I'm not a fan of the mold. For a second or two, I contemplated getting the TRU exclusive RiD warrior class Starscream figure. I wish they'd made the big pauldrons fold back to cover his arms in jet mode. I passed on him, too. Anyway, I'm happy with what I did find (still haven't opened any of them-something to do later or tomorrow). I hope the G1 esque figs keep coming. A new official Reflector is long, long overdue, as well as the Omnibots, all of which were mail-in figures requiring a bunch of 'Robot Points' from the boxes/cards back in '85 or so. I'd also be interested in a new punch/Counterpunch fig- I'd like to see how they pull off the double identity.

Sarcasm, right? If not, you're in a pretty exclusive club of Universe Galvatron fan(s). I like the idea of it- execution, not so much. The TR version, for all its warts, is an all around superior figure, IMHO.

Ditto. The concept was great, the execution was lacking. It was a fiddly mess of bits, some of which had no purpose(because it was designed to be a voyager-class), the right arm had almost no articulation... just transforming it was a chore.

But oh, for a world where they'd been given clearance to ship him as a voyager instead of a slapdash downscale.

No sarcasm at all. What makes him superior of the new TR Galvatron is the fact that his gun is on the wrong side of the arm and the head sculpt looks like Galvatron. ^_^

Can't disagree with either of those points. As I said, if they reissue this mold down the line with a proper side mounted cannon and a complete fold-away head (this head master stuff is a bit ridiculous), I'll be a little perturbed. I give them points for trying to make it work, but the final result is lacking. As for Universe Galvatron in general, see JBO's post above. Could have been so much better.

Opened Crashbash last night- best use of a Headmaster figure I've seen (the HM's arms are used as the T-Rex mode's arms and its legs form the lower jaw). This little guy is just adorable, and it tickles me that he's a Decepticon. I also opened Nightbeat- not as clever or fun as Crashbash, but ok for what it is. It's a shame that the HMs' legs aren't independently poseable, as the possibilities for integrating them into their vehicles would have increased greatly.

Got my Fortress Maximus yesterday, and having never owned one of the originals during G1, it definitely checks that bucket list item nicely. Cerebros is pretty cool, even in light of also owning PE Warden, and despite the blocky appearance FM is quite posable.

Overall it feels like a well-done kitbash of Metroplex rather than a remold, but that isn't really a knock against it, just an observation based on all the vestigial features that were just left in place and not cleaned up.

I do plan to get the 3P hand upgrade set for both FM and Metroplex, as the originals leave much to be desired, but aside from that they make great decorations atop my office bookshelves (and my 2-year old can't resist triggering their electronics).

This was such a cool concept, exposing Ultra Magnus's core and showing that he was Prime's brother, wish they'd expand on this.....maybe even even have a scene showing Prime jumping into Magnus's armor or developing his own that he periodically uses:

Magnuslongshot.jpgultra_magnus_and_optimus_prime_by_goddes

More fitting to post this in the Transformers thread as opposed to the 3rd party one.

The Cybertronic Spree perform "Dare" by Vince DiCola and Stan Bush to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Transformers: The Movie.

So very late on this line, but just recently got CW G2-Superion for $70 shipped from amzn lastweek.

So I now have two combiners to appreciate the line...

who's moar studly?

http://i.imgur.com/W2LmFLk.jpg

W2LmFLkl.jpg

studliest...

http://i.imgur.com/K52Fu4y.jpg

K52Fu4yl.jpg

:bump:

Sadly, them two are prolly it for me, as I still don't quite like the aesthetics of the others.

Unless, of course, UW-EX Megatronia suddenly becomes available at amzn for $80 shipped... :wub:

B))

Edited by treatment

So my Legends Galvatron showed up today and it is beyond me how anyone could think that this is a better Galvatron than the Universe one. I really hope that a 3rd party company comes up with a new Titanmaster than has the crown included and a arm adapter (or even a new arm cannon that is a bit more proportional) so that his cannon sits in the right spot. I know there are shapeways solutions but I would prefer an add-on set.

As a side note I'm really disappointed that there are no more upgrade sets. I would love to have a new backpack piece for MP tracks that makes the back more solid and have the cowl look more like Tracks.

On another side note the glue that Takara uses for the glue strips on their packaging is easily the worst any toy company I have experience with uses. It is super sticke so it leaves a bunch of glue residue back on the packaging and those are hard to remove. Look at the MMC tape which removes beautifully. ^_^

So my Legends Galvatron showed up today and it is beyond me how anyone could think that this is a better Galvatron than the Universe one. I really hope that a 3rd party company comes up with a new Titanmaster than has the crown included and a arm adapter (or even a new arm cannon that is a bit more proportional) so that his cannon sits in the right spot. I know there are shapeways solutions but I would prefer an add-on set.

As a side note I'm really disappointed that there are no more upgrade sets. I would love to have a new backpack piece for MP tracks that makes the back more solid and have the cowl look more like Tracks.

On another side note the glue that Takara uses for the glue strips on their packaging is easily the worst any toy company I have experience with uses. It is super sticke so it leaves a bunch of glue residue back on the packaging and those are hard to remove. Look at the MMC tape which removes beautifully. ^_^

Were the add-ons peaugh reviewed from Shapeways? I didn't realize.

So how does one think this Galvatron is better than Universe Galvatron? Let's see... can his arm support the weight of the cannon? Can he stand without falling over? Those would be big plusses to me.

But honestly, I can see picking up a $20-$25 Titans Return Voyager at their local Target on a whim, but springing for the Legends version? And then spending more on add-ons? Should have just bought Mania King.

Mike, I can report that he very much can hold his gun up and stand unassisted.

Well, there you go. That's how people think he's better than Universe Galvatron, who may have been pretty good on paper as a Voyager but utterly failed in execution.

I still really dislike his nosecone, though.

...Mania King.

...Mania King.

... costs a lot more, and I don't care for his looks overall.

I can always knock the nosecone off my Classic Titan Galvatron. I lose the jet mode, but gain a better robot and artillery mode in the process. And free up a pin where I could hypothetically attach a better nosecone, or a gun handle.

Having a closer look a Legends Galvatron I wonder if I can use the flip out landing sled on the gun to attach it to one of the fins on Galvatrons forearms. If I use enough floor polish it might have enough friction to stay attached at least for a static display.

I think it depends on the storage conditions. I removed the tapes from all my MP boxes and my experience is that (i) the older they are, (ii) the hotter they are stored [my guess], the more they stick to the box.

My technique is to heat the tape with a hairdryer first, then peel it off. I don't know if it actually helps, because it doesn't work with the bad cases. In those cases, I use the same sticker that I just pulled off to remove the sticky residue. It works mostly, except in some cases the box tears off -- watch for it and stop just before that happens.

Just got this:

transformers_ultimate_ed_steelcase.jpg

for 20 pence, excluding shipping.

I bought it for the commentary track. I have listened to all three commentary tracks and I must say this is the best of the bunch.

I'm waiting for the 30th anniversary Blu-ray.

Just picked up these stupid looking Transformers Alt Modes. I'm finding I can't stop messing with them. They're stupid simple to transform, no articulation to speak of, wobbly as hell to stand but they're like giant bobble heads!

I fail to see where stuff like this is interesting, likewise with the Pop Vinyl stuff. Personal preference, of course, and I respect that people like different things for different reasons, but when it comes to Transformers, or pretty much anything that should have motion, articulation and the like, then I'll stick to models and toys that allow for the greatest amount of dynamism (that I can feasibly afford). It's also the reason why most 80's TF toys really hold no interest for me anymore; I get why they appeal to some collectors, but I'd rather my figs have two legs and a decent amount of poseability. Today's TF toys are what I was dreaming of in the 80's; I'm extremely glad the franchise has remained popular, and that I now have the opportunity (and the financial wherewithal) to own all those old toys, albeit with the benefits of today's technology and engineering. But, whatever your interest, there's likely something out there TF related, so for all of us, there's never been a better time to be a Transformers fan.

I'm waiting for the 30th anniversary Blu-ray.

Me too, but it has only one commentary track, and that's the weakest one -- IMO.

The Reconstructed and Ultimate editions can be gotten on Amazon UK very cheaply used all along. And now that the 30th Anniversary Ed is on its way, the Sony 20th Anniversary Ed can be picked up quite cheaply used as well.

It depends whether there are any special features that you want.

since we're talking about some combiners, I got my Takara Computron set.....and I must say that for retooled they're far superior and more authentic to the hasbro variation.....they should really be ashamed of themselves for putting that out.

I disagree.

I think the Hasbro Computon is an awesome effort. Takara's looks great too and is pretty cartoon accurate but at least the Hasbro version has decent looking hands and feet. Not those god awful hand-foot guns. I also like the colour choices on the Hasbro version for departing from the original scheme. The pinky-red really pops.

Just picked up these stupid looking Transformers Alt Modes. I'm finding I can't stop messing with them. They're stupid simple to transform, no articulation to speak of, wobbly as hell to stand but they're like giant bobble heads!

Oh man, those are so silly I may just have to track a few down. I've had the same experience with Q transformers, they are fun little bite sized transformers to just mess around with every now and then. I think Thew's review captured them perfectly.