1/48 Articulated DYRL Hands Project

EXO

Good news, bad news...

Got the fingers to be as tight as I want to them to be... which is the hard but impoertant part. My main concern is to make sure that the chance of the fingers coming loose is greatly reduced and the grip is strong enough to hold the gunpod.

Bad news is that the wrist is loose. It's an easy fix but it means another round of tests. If I'm satisfied the next delivery, I'm going to order a whole set for myself and make sure it's consistent. Sorry for taking so long I just want to make sure it works as best as I can get it to.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the hands. Looks like a success. I'm going to order a pair to check consistency and to take pics.

Also got the 1/48 side covers and neck covers. All seem to fit well. I'm going to order some gray ones to take pics also.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaahghkkkk! shapeways just sent me an email saying some parts were parts had thin walls. And these are parts I've tested and they've sent me before. Good news is the hands seemed fine. I'll rework the side covers this weekend and resend the order. More delays.

• 1 month later...

hands look awful... this is a shapeways issue but it fails the consistency test. If they can't maintain the quality, I don't want people to have to deal with the hassle.

For the other parts I'll keep looking for another option but this material is the only material that's strong enough for ball joints. I'll post pics later.

I wish Yamato would do hands more in the new Bandai posable style. the renewal VF-25 hands are hands down, some of the best hand designs out there. They're sturdy, posable, and don't have that gap at the wrist.

I had high hopes, the chicken fingers are killing me on my non GBP 1/48's. I specifically had someone here make me a set of side covers, a neck cover and TV hands in the Low Vis version 1 colors.The molds used were so over used that they looked like sh!t. What was crazy though was how long it took to get them too. Will never go down that avenue again. I was so angry I ended up just burying it and never tried to resolve the problem So... if anyone can pull off a full set of Low Vis version 1 accessories I would so be game.

Edited by Loop

hands look awful... this is a shapeways issue but it fails the consistency test. If they can't maintain the quality, I don't want people to have to deal with the hassle.

For the other parts I'll keep looking for another option but this material is the only material that's strong enough for ball joints. I'll post pics later.

That's a bummer, man...

I was really looking forward to using these on my next slew of customs...

Hopefully it stated something along the lines of "Dear Exalted Exo, May we say we are deeply sorry for our unforgivable inability to bring your genius creation to life. That being said we would grovel for the opportunity to provide all MW 1/48 owner 10 free pairs of hands once we correct the problem that is our fault. We worship the ground you walk on and your feet too...".

LOL! do you need anymore customs? Didn't you buy that lovely Thunder Hammer Minmay Guard?

I was seriously considering buying Solscud's beautiful Thunder Hammer Minmay Guard, but decided against it since I really want one based off of the original 1/72 custom from the pages of Model Graphix. Plus, I already have a Minmay Guard Moon Act custom done by Kurt, but I have to admit, you can never have too many Minmay Guards, or 1/48 customs for that matter. Keep an eye out in the Customs section in a few months for Kurt's latest creations...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :D .

Back on topic, I sincerely hope Shapeways gets their act together to bring EXO's brainchild to reality. I'm sure we can all appreciate his efforts in keeping the venerable 1/48 alive and kicking...I know I do.

Edited by Old Man

• 3 weeks later...

ugh... shapeways is frustrating. After continuous successful printout tests, now that I activate it, it tells me that there's thin surfaces. So I paid over and over to make sure these are printable and now they say the files are no good, even though I have some in hand. At this point I'm going to halt the project indefinitely. I think I need to get back to the other projects that I've been putting off for this, plus work has ramped up again. Hopefully they get some new material later on that will print these out with no problems and still have the same flexible property required to keep the joints tight.

We'll see. I'm not getting my hopes up yet. Though from the quality of work I've seen from Exo and Tundrayeti, if anyone can get this done it's them.

• 4 weeks later...