The End of Studio Ghibli

Old_Nash

Most of Studio Ghibli staff today are employees, with long term contracts. Studio Ghibli can’t pay this staff if there’s no more Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata (expensive but profitable) movies on the way. Ghibli cost too much today, so they’re just stopping the current system. Before Porco Rosso, Studio Ghibli staff was freelance. [Now] they're [going] back to this previous system.

It seems Miyazaki and Takahata were a literal foundation for the company.

I'm saddened by the change, but hopeful to see that all is not lost.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Update! While the original reports were quick to say it was a total shutdown, some are hintingthat it may just be a "temporary break" from making new movies. "Suzuki's statement might have been mistranslated; he's actually saying that Ghibli is 'taking a rest' based on a twitter post." Hence the idea of retooling and rebooting. The main quote says he will "dismantle the production department" which connects with the idea that it's a "restart" and they will "wait for new viable projects". We're waiting for any more official reports, as there are only a few translations from Tumblr at the moment, along with this Kotaku rumor a weeks ago.

Thanks for the link Duke Togo. It definitely sounds that things are not as definitive as first reported.

The way I see it, with Miyazaki out of the picture, Ghibli has to be smart and downsize. Ghibli films are not going to be the homerun hits they were previously by simply having the name Miyazaki on the cover. They're going to have to compete in a rough industry with small margins of profit. It makes sense that they take their time and find the right business model.

I thought something seemed funny in the paragraph I quoted above. It was eye catching news, but the last couple of sentences seemed contradictory and open ended. I'm glad to learn it was a rushed translation and that there is more hope here than sadness.

Edited by technoblue