azrael

● Title: [Paperback] Macross Frontier Vol.1 "Close Encounter"

● Publisher : Kadokawa Shoten

● Author : Yuko kodachi

● Illustrator : Lisa Ebata/Hayato Aoki

● Release Date: July 01, 2008

● ISBN 978-4-04-473801-3-C0193

● price : 567yen(Tax+)

Is that the novelization...? Damn...I want to read it!

July 25, "Macross F (Frontier)" Blu-ray Disc & DVD in the first volume,

8月22日発売「マクロス ゼロ Blu-ray Disc BOX」の初回生産分に封入された 応募券のIDコードから専用サイトにアクセスしてご覧いただけます。 Release August 22, "Macross Zero Blu-ray Disc BOX" for Japan to apply for inclusion on the ticket and ID number to access the site.

初回生産分ご購入者限定のスペシャルな特典です。 Japan purchaser special benefits.

プロモーション映像をPCサイトMOVIEページにて公開中ですので、ぜひご覧ください! MOVIE page promotional video to a PC at the site in public, so please do!

「ALL THAT VF]プロモーション映像はこちら! "ALL THAT VF] promotional video!

It appears the only way to get the full move of "All that VF" is to buy the Bluray Mac Zero box set. It sounds like the necessary login ID to get into the site with the video is shipping with the set actually the first .

If I knew there was an English sub track I would have ordered it already.... <_<

Actually the offer includes the first volume of the Mac F BD as well...whew!

Edited by Zinjo

It appears the only way to get the full move of "All that VF" is to buy the Bluray Mac Zero box set. It sounds like the necessary login ID to get into the site with the video is shipping with the set actually the first .

If I knew there was an English sub track I would have ordered it already.... <_<

Actually the offer includes the first volume of the Mac F BD as well...whew!

Ummm... no. The registration code can be found in both the M0 Blu-Ray boxset and vol. 1 of Macross Frontier (either DVD or Blu-Ray editions).

Ummm... no. The registration code can be found in both the M0 Blu-Ray boxset and vol. 1 of Macross Frontier (either DVD or Blu-Ray editions).

Didn't I just say that?

I was mistaken and corrected myself shortly thereafter...

I did miss the DVD part however...

Edited by Zinjo

Sheryl looks hot in that pic!!!

Guys, the Macross F website has been updated with episode 12 screenshots and its synopsis.

Sheryl gets sick, audience gets angry because of it and causes a riot, then Alto and gang become hostages... and Ranka's first live concert is on.

The way they have been promoting the cd singles has been great so far and the upcoming Ranka one is no exception with them using Cat Diary as the ED for 11 and they will definitely be using Interstellar Flight in 12.

So any new news on:

- Whether the VF-171 squad leader will make an appearance in the anime?

there probably won't be. Simply because the VF-171 are CF, plus unlike SMS which might have only a few elements that make up a couple squadrons total (If not considered a composite squadron with the Q-L's, the KM and all the VF-25's under one hat), the NUSN probably has dozens of individual squadrons & wings, for each carrier in the fleet (assuming the NUNS is organised via Naval Avaition rules. Macross has always been translated, to me, to mirror AF rank structure...)

It would make sence to go navy but either way, the NUNS is very complicated numerically...

:wacko:

... I'm buying this thing. I don't care I can only understand ten words in japanese, I AM BUYING THIS THING.

Btw, what the hell does it say under Sheryl's signature? "Wants ma Clanaad"? The frak?

Duh. It says "Ecant ma Anus." Can't you read? :lol:

titles & logos in Zentraedian text!!!

this 「.ANIME」special edition is DVD only...no Blu-Ray

Boooo! Now I have to order that one too...

I love the Zentreadi text, nice touch!! :D

They don't have a separate entry for any "Limited Edition" versions, so I'm guessing the answer is no.

I've sent a message to AmazonJp to find out, but you may be right, considering all the various limited edition merch that is specific to one supplier, the Revoltech VF-1J Max and Millia are perfect examples...

However the regular edition appears to have the the access codes to all about VFs.

Edited by Zinjo

Didn't she already do that in the series in episode 7 or something, only with another word for 'my'? :p

Yeah...but it's one thing to shout it at a concert, it's another to use use it as your tagline. (And she kind of HAD to use another word for "my." She's not not a guy, after all... ^_^ )

Yeah...but it's one thing to shout it at a concert, it's another to use use it as your tagline. (And she kind of HAD to use another word for "my." She's not not a guy, after all... ^_^ )

True, true. And I guessed as much already, but since Japanese isn't my forte I wasn't sure :)

there probably won't be. Simply because the VF-171 are CF, plus unlike SMS which might have only a few elements that make up a couple squadrons total (If not considered a composite squadron with the Q-L's, the KM and all the VF-25's under one hat), the NUNS probably has dozens of individual squadrons & wings, for each carrier in the fleet (assuming the NUNS is organized via Naval Aviation rules. Macross has always been translated, to me, to mirror AF rank structure...)

It would make sense to go navy but either way, the NUNS is very complicated numerically...

:wacko:

Actually what is common in Sci-fi when they do space militaries (each story uses its own name for them) is they use navy rank structure for the people commanding the battleships and carriers since those mirror Navy ships of today. Hence you'll see the commander of a ship being called Captain which the highest commissioned Navy rank below Admiral. How fighter squadrons and the such it seems common to use Air Force rank structure because it appears similar to that so then you see Majors and Colonels.

SDF Macross seemed to use AF structure more than anything but Global was still a Captain somehow. In Frontier though we see Ozma is a Major and Mikhail is a Lieutenant (either 1st or 2nd, hard to say). So SMS being primarily fighter squadrons uses AF ranks except for Captain Wilder who probably has the same excuse as Global, whatever that may be. NUNS seems to use Navy ranks as Cathy was said in ep. 6 to be a Lt. Junior Grade which is a Navy rank equivalent to 1st Lieutenant in AF ranks. (Note: There seems to be inconsistancies with some peoples ranks in Frontier based on who's subbing it, in one sub Cathy was labeled Lt. Junior Grade but in Shinsen's sub of ep. 6 she is just called a Lieutenant which could mean AF or Navy rank version).

Actually they just use JSDF ranks.

Eh, semantics. As far as it being a Japanese show indeed, but in a real situation with a United Nations space military they are going to go with a rank structure that has been tried and tested. Although the rank structure is already similar to that anyway it seems obvious that the set up in US militaries is something that works (while in a UN environment it would come from multiple nations usage but truthfully they are all really the same in the end anyway, it is just how they sound).

Jeez, Master Dex, is that statement not biased in any ways?

Japanese show = Japanese rank structure. The translations into English are another matter altogether, and are usually biased by the country of origin of the translator.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_military_ranks (and http://www.uniforminsignia.net/index.php?p...150&sid=876 as the former doesn't have the ground SDF insignia.)

When looking, it should be noted that the translations should be ignored. Look at the kanji. Note that the ranks of the different branches include 陸(ground/land/shore), 海 (sea/ocean) and 空 (air) into the title.

Therefore, the 1等陸尉 (ittŌ rikui), is different from the 1等海佐 (ittŌ kaisa), which is also different from the 1等空尉 (ittŌ kŪi), yet they are all translated as "Captain"!

Random notes: They are all "first class/first rank", but the ground and air versions end with "company officer/officer below the rank of Major". The Sea version ends with "field officer". Which results in Ground Company Officer First Class, Sea Field Officer First Class, and Air Company Officer First Class.

I don't mean to be biased, the ranks just all seem the same as ranks used my many different countries. I don't know Japanese, so that doesn't help either. However I understand exactly what your saying and I know it is a Japanese rank structure in a Japanese show. However the ranks are so similar anyway that I would just assume that the ranks were thought up based on rank systems from nations all over the world, which I did say in my last post, I just used US for an example. When I say that I mean if it were a real life situation (it could happen...), I know show creators just use a common Japanese rank structure because that is much easier than coming up with a hybrid of multiple nation's rank systems, especially when not a lot of people watching are going to bother to think about these things (excluding people like us on Macross World who love delving into these things hence why we are talking about this now).

I don't mean to be biased, the ranks just all seem the same as ranks used my many different countries. I don't know Japanese, so that doesn't help either. However I understand exactly what your saying and I know it is a Japanese rank structure in a Japanese show. However the ranks are so similar ...*snip*

In modern times, countries with organized armies have assimilated the ranking structure of other countries, mostly due to NATO or the UN Security forces. This is why they look similar. Uniformity allows some respect within the chain of command. You don't want a Lieutenant of one army addressing a General of another as a trash. It's just a matter of making things easier. But it is nevertheless important to always keep in mind that this is a Japanese show and that they use Japanese military ranking. Just like in shows or movies in the USA, they will use the US military ranking system because it is a USA production even if there are international or other-worldly characters.

Like I said, I didn't forget that it is a Japanese show or that it is a Japanese ranking structure. I was just pointing out originally what I believed the rankings in the series to be similar to based on US ranks since those are what I know best, and also since they are so very similar to other ranking structures, including Japan's, for the reason you just gave azrael. That is all I was saying there. I only elaborated on what I was saying so I wouldn't be considered to be someone who believed everything is intended to be like the US because I thought it was so great or some such nonsense. Probably no one thinks that but I'd hate to be misunderstood in any case.

Now that this is all settled and we all understand each other I believe this discussion has deviated from the thread topic quite enough, we should continue with Frontier news... of which I have none at the moment, until then.

Like I said, I didn't forget that it is a Japanese show or that it is a Japanese ranking structure. I was just pointing out originally what I believed the rankings in the series to be similar to based on US ranks since those are what I know best, and also since they are so very similar to other ranking structures, including Japan's, for the reason you just gave azrael. That is all I was saying there. I only elaborated on what I was saying so I wouldn't be considered to be someone who believed everything is intended to be like the US because I thought it was so great or some such nonsense. Probably no one thinks that but I'd hate to be misunderstood in any case.

Now that this is all settled and we all understand each other I believe this discussion has deviated from the thread topic quite enough, we should continue with Frontier news... of which I have none at the moment, until then.

actually in japanese anime, they don't really stick closely to the current japanese ranking names, its a much more simplified ranking system which seemed to be a common naming system for all forces be it air force/navy/army.

personally i find it so confusing to use so many different names and its even more confusing trying to see which rank is equivalent to which rank in another force.

perhaps this is also due to where i'm brought up, we have a unified rank structure for army, AF and navy (only the naming for 'General' changed to 'Admiral' for the navy) - what you guys will say is that it is somewhat similar to your army rank structure.

Luckily, this makes it easier for me to understand the anime ranking structure :lol:

and if u or the subbers insist on using US ranking system, you're only gonna confuse yourselves. ;)

Jeffrey Wilder is 大佐 - Colonel

Ozma is 少佐 Major

Klan Klan and Bobby are 大尉 To me that is Captain ranking.

Cathy is 中尉. that is (1st) Lieutenant.

Mikhail is 少尉 2nd Lieutenant.

notice the first word is repetitive (from low to high) 少 -> 中 -> 大

there is an occational 准 which is lower than the above. e.g. 准尉 - Warrant Officer, 准将 - Brigadier General

it is soooooo much easier to name ranks this way. :ph34r:

To say that a rank structure "that has been tried and tested", well... dont forget the other naming conventions are tried and tested too. :)

Edited by Shun

notice the first word is repetitive (from low to high) 少 -> 中 -> 大

there is an occational 准 which is lower than the above. e.g. 准尉 - Warrant Officer, 准将 - Brigadier General

it is soooooo much easier to name ranks this way. :ph34r:

To say that a rank structure "that has been tried and tested", well... dont forget the other naming conventions are tried and tested too. :)

Double agreed.

Looks like it would be good if it didn't have the tartar sauce on it...

And Pizza Hut was also in Evangelion...so no matter what happens to the earth, we can be assured that Pizza Hut will be there.

However, they've yet to put Pizza Hut product placements in Frontier itself.