Macross Δ (Delta) Mecha/Technology Thread - READ 1st POST

azrael

Maybe. The parallel cockpit exists on the VF-4, VF-17/VF-171, and of course, the YF-30 (which the VF-31 is based off).

Also the Sv-51, sort of... it doesn't stay perfectly parallel, but it only moves maybe 45 degrees.

With the VF-17/171's they have a cockpit pod thing that swung upwards to keep it parallel. I feel it would have a lot more space if it wasn't a pod but instead utilized the whole section of the plane like the 31/30's. But then again Veffidas had a whole drum set in the back of her and Ray's 17 so it probably had more than enough room.

Ray and Veffidas had a tandem-cockpit training version... which would've had more room regardless.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I'm not sure it's genetic, since there don't seem to have been any identified cases of Var syndrome or anything resembling it until around the time Windermere's royals decided to launch their war against the New Unification Government. The Zentradi fighting instincts didn't need any help to make them violent, and they'd already been conditioned to obey the Protoculture. They wouldn't have needed pharmaceutical assistance, or the mind control aspect to get the job done.

I suspect that the combination of the polyphenols in Windermere apples and the unique bicarbonates in water found around Protoculture ruins is something the Windermereans discovered at some point in their own history. I bet that, especially since they're supposedly mildly empathic, the Windermereans regarded the Var syndrome as a curse on those who didn't properly respect/revere the Protoculture ruins on their world. Since the Windermereans seem to think that human society is somehow unclean, it would strike me as poetic justice in their eyes to combat an unclean society with a "divine" curse. We've got a lot of mythological symbolism kicking around in Macross Delta, and apples figure prominently into both Greco-Roman and Norse mythology. In Latin, the word for apple is spelled (and pronounced) almost identically to the word for evil. In Greek and Norse mythos, apples are the source of immortality for the eater... which seems a rather ironic twist here, when instead of granting immortal life the apple turns you into a doomed, psychotic killer.

I've picked the brain of my youngest brother, who has some experience and training in organic chemistry by way of his vet-med study, and he suggested that the chemical that apparently triggers Var syndrome (seiznol?) is a form of endocrine disruptor that triggers excessive secretion of norepinephrine, adrenaline, and a few other monoamine neutransmitters. Apparently the symptoms of excessive release of several of those (especially norepinephrine) line up well with those of a Var syndrome sufferer... aggression, anxiety, headache, increased heart rate, elevated blood pressure, excessive sweating, etc.

Sounds more like an LSD type substance, but with more aggressive affects.

Edited by Zinjo

PC 2865

Development on powerful biological weapons based on the Zentradi, "Evil Series," begins. [Note: "Evil" pronounced as "Eh-vil."] Evil is the abbreviation of the Protoculture term for "advanced (Zentradi) all-enivron biological weapon." Trial production takes place on a scientifically advanced planet (the first planet of the star system later known as Varauta), but because of unresolvable problems with the weapons' power exceeding the fighting capability requirements, trial production is halted.

PC 2868

On the [aforementioned] scientifically advanced planet, the existence of a sub-universe is confirmed. According to survey results, this sub-universe is abound with super high levels of extra-dimensional energy, and this energy is discovered to have the potential for application.The trial production of super dimension energy gates which can supply energy from the sub-universe is begun, and genetically engineered biological super dimension organs are developed. These biological super dimension organs are extremely compact, and they are expected to supply enormous amounts of energy.

Because of power problems, the trial production begins implementing the technology from the terminated "Evil Series." No problems are uncovered in simulations.

The internal conflicts within the Stellar Republic revives the development of the "Evil Series."

PC 2870

A Protoculture survey ship stops temporarily on "Earth." By genetically reconstructing the native life, it plots the emergence of a sub-Protoculture adapted to the planetary environment, "Humankind," to prepare for future colonization. During its return to its home planet, the survey ship is destroyed by military ships opposed to the Stellar Republic. Records of Earth and Humankind are eventually lost. [PC 2900]

PC 2871

On the [aforementioned] scientifically advanced planet, trial production of the "Evil Series" for final tests is begun. Seven Evil Series weapons of seven types including a highly mobile, humanoid "Sivil" for search-and-destroy functions and a super-scale, high-powered "Glavil" for fleet warfare are completed. The Evil Series tests are begun, but at the same time biological super dimension organs overload and extradimensional energy is released. The Evil Series' bodies are occupied by the spiritual energy life form from the sub-universe and thus creating, from the massive fighting capability of the Evil Series and the enormous potential of the spiritial energy, beings with extraordinary fighting ability and a coveting for life energy, "Spiritia." They covet Spiritia in order to continue existing as extra-dimensional beings in this universe. They begin invading the surrounding planets and systems using spaceships and weapons of people from the scientifically advanced planet that they brainwashed. (They later become known as the Supervision Army).

Interestingly enough it seems the YF-29 and the YF-30 with its descendant the VF-31 possibly managed to tap into sub-space for power with Fold Quartz and Fold Receptors without Super Dimension Organs.

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRmechanic/TFsms04aYF29.php

Aircraft Explanation

The YF-29 Durendal is an aircraft that was developed with the assumption that it would be used in a decisive battle with the Vajra. The Macross The YF-29 Durendal is an aircraft that was developed under the assumption that it would be used in a decisive battle with the Vajra. The Macross Frontier Fleet and L.A.I. Co. played an important role in the development of this aircraft in the environment of the incident where the 117th Large Research Fleet had sustained a Vajra raid. It's greatest feature is the Fold Wave System, a device that uses high-purity fold quartz that exists only inside of the Vajra's bodies. As a result, it became possible to supply the craft with energy from sub-space, and coupled with 4 high-power thermonuclear reactor engines, this craft acquired an overwhelming manoeuvrability. Simultaneously, the fold quartz enabled the control of fold waves as an additional function of the Fold Wave System, and the YF-29 succeeded in interfering with the communications between the Vajra in combat.

Interestingly enough it seems the YF-29 and the YF-30 with its descendant the VF-31 possibly managed to tap into sub-space for power with Fold Quartz and Fold Receptors without Super Dimension Organs.

Yep. The engineers who developed the fold wave system very likely came by the idea the same way the ancient Protoculture's engineers did... through the study of the Vajra's ability to produce vast amounts of power through fold dimensional energy conversion. It's probable the Protoculture had already managed to successfully tap super dimension space for energy via a purely technological approach before developing bio-technology to do the same job, though I wonder if their initial bio-technological effort was made with fold carbon or if, when that experiment was done, they had already discovered a process to produce synthetic fold quartz like they used for the Birdman.

It's probably not a technology that's going to see widespread adoption in the New UN Gov't until someone rediscovers a process to synthesize fold quartz. The fold wave system on the Durandal uses a prohibitively massive chunk of fold quartz to achieve what it does.

Hey, I just realized the VF-171 Phantom Gunpod problem is back. Where did the cat-ear'd ace pilot in the -171 get that gunpod from? It just appeared in his fighter's hand after a cut.

I thought I had an idea as to where a VF-171 could carry a gunpod based on the beam guns on the Frontier VF-171EX fighters (attached to the forearm/side fuselage in fighter), but after watching the scene in Delta episode 8 again there was no gunpod attached to that hardpoint.

Also, Alto's gunpod was pretty rapid fire in that one scene. I have to go back and check, but did he have the same beam gun as the rest of the squadron?

What's "massive", actually? Do we know?

The YF-29 (Alto's version) uses 4 pieces of fold quartz in its design compared to the 2 pieces on the VF-31. And likely, those 4 pieces cost more back in 2059 than in 2067.

Hey, I just realized the VF-171 Phantom Gunpod problem is back. Where did the cat-ear'd ace pilot in the -171 get that gunpod from? It just appeared in his fighter's hand after a cut.

I thought I had an idea as to where a VF-171 could carry a gunpod based on the beam guns on the Frontier VF-171EX fighters (attached to the forearm/side fuselage in fighter), but after watching the scene in Delta episode 8 again there was no gunpod attached to that hardpoint.

Also, Alto's gunpod was pretty rapid fire in that one scene. I have to go back and check, but did he have the same beam gun as the rest of the squadron?

Considering they went through the effort to show Hayate's Battroid arm missing even in fighter mode, it would be disappointing if they did magic gunpods for the 171, worth rechecking.

I assume you didn't mean Alto but Hayate... (both blue haired main characters anyway). If so, the VF-31's guns are stored in the forearms and just flip out. They do have a beam gunpod which is part of the backpack but can be detached and held.. though I don't recall that being used in the climax of this episode.

There is probably more space inside of the VF-31's cockpit compared to other VF's because it doesn't need a fancy rotating cockpit interior because the cockpit itself is still parallel, whereas most other VF's I can think of at the moment have theirs perpendicular, to the ground in battroid mode.

Space has never been an issue though since the cockpits are subject to anime magic. Edited by d3v

...I thought carat was a measure of purity? As in how much of a gold nugget is actually gold as opposed to other elements?

"Carat" with a C is a unit of mass for measuring gemstones equivalent to 0.2g.

"Karat" with a K is a unit of fineness for measuring the percentage of impurities in gold, equivalent to 4.166666667% per karat.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I assume you didn't mean Alto but Hayate... (both blue haired main characters anyway). If so, the VF-31's guns are stored in the forearms and just flip out. They do have a beam gunpod which is part of the backpack but can be detached and held.. though I don't recall that being used in the climax of this episode.

Nah, I meant Alto. There's a scene in Frontier that has him piloting a VF-171EX with a rapid fire gunpod. If his gunpod were externally mounted (like the VF-171EX beam guns and missile pods are when in fighter) then it would explain a lot.

"Carat" with a C is a unit of mass for measuring gemstones equivalent to 0.2g.

"Karat" with a K is a unit of fineness for measuring the percentage of impurities in gold, equivalent to 4.166666667% per karat.

The gold karat is closely related to the gemstone carat. It represents how many carats(with a c) of gold would be in a chunk of this alloy of a given size.

The size, as it happens, is that of a german gold coin that was in use a millennium ago. That weighed 24 carats. And it was common enough at the time that it became a standard unit of measure for gold.

And in an attempt to be on-topic: I keep calling Hayate "Alto". I don't really know why.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/05/28/shoji-kawamori-on-macross-delta-and-his-hopes-for-the-series/#11b60f001210

“The new Draken III in Delta has the alpha numerical designation of SV-262, which is somewhat similar to the SV-51 in Macross Zero, but there is no special direct connection between Delta and Zero. However, the new Draken III was actually designed by people that are related to the engineers of the SV-51, so in that sense there is a connection.”

Well we got confirmation ex-AUN SV-51 related designers.

As in the New Macross class battleship connected to the Frontier fleet... it was called Battle Frontier.

Edited by Master Dex

It's not that strange really.. Battle Frontier was really underutilized in Frontier compared to how often Battle 7 was used in Macross 7. We didn't even see it transform until the last 2 episodes of Frontier. Now the movies gave it a lot more screen time. They also got it taken over by a mind controlled Vajra queen (instead of Battle Galaxy as in the show, which never even showed up... I always wondered if it was destroyed in the initial attack on the Galaxy Fleet in the movie).

Edited by Master Dex

It's not that strange really.. Battle Frontier was really underutilized in Frontier compared to how often Battle 7 was used in Macross 7. We didn't even see it transform until the last 2 episodes of Frontier. Now the movies gave it a lot more screen time. They also got it taken over by a mind controlled Vajra queen (instead of Battle Galaxy as in the show, which never even showed up... I always wondered if it was destroyed in the initial attack on the Galaxy Fleet in the movie).

Battle Galaxy in the movies was MIA while Galaxy Mainland was destroyed. The opposite in the TV series where Galaxy Mainland was missing.

So either there are Galaxy remnants with a Battle class or Vajra turned it to a hive like Global.

why bandai didn't make dx toys for NMCV especially battle frontier and battle galaxy?

Probably because the performance of the DX Macross Quarter was sub par sales-wise.

Edited by Scyla

He did something like that in AKB0048.

post-848-0-24061700-1464732739_thumb.jpg

Honestly, I'm flat amazed that Kawamori resisted the temptation to include a cyborg in Macross Frontier who had a gun or two stashed away inside their limbs... the blade Brera has is frankly low-key compared to some of the stuff in Ghost in the Shell, for instance.

So with ep 9 subs out we know the Vars is caused by fold bacteria in folks brains that get stimulated by the chemical reaction between the windemere apples and ruin's water. We also find out that Messer's Vars relapses as long as he's in intense combat even if there's no wind singer and there's no perfect medical treatment for Vars. Additionally, folks with fold receptors are resistant to Vars. To what degree we don't know.

This is just conjecture but because the Walkure song treatment isn't instant it, makes me think it that there has to be a certain intensity level of "positive" fold waves before the Vars breaks it's hold.

So with ep 9 subs out we know the Vars is caused by fold bacteria in folks brains that get stimulated by the chemical reaction between the windemere apples and ruin's water. We also find out that Messer's Vars relapses as long as he's in intense combat even if there's no wind singer and there's no perfect medical treatment for Vars. Additionally, folks with fold receptors are resistant to Vars. To what degree we don't know.

This is just conjecture but because the Walkure song treatment isn't instant it, makes me think it that there has to be a certain intensity level of "positive" fold waves before the Vars breaks it's hold.

Just to add. According to the 2nd Forbes interview of Shoji Kawamori Fold Bacterium resides on people's guts. Seems the nature of the organism changed when the Vajra left. Which could be deliberate on the Vajra's part not wanting individuals blood on their ... claws? I theorize it is to allow communication between species once humanity, I mean Sub-Protoculture races, meet the Vajra again.

Unfortunately somebody perverted it for war.

Edited by RedWolf

Just to add. According to the 2nd Forbes interview of Shoji Kawamori Fold Bacterium resides on people's guts. Seems the nature of the organism changed when the Vajra left. Which could be deliberate on the Vajra's part not wanting individuals blood on their ... claws? I theorize it is to allow communication between species once humanity, I mean Sub-Protoculture races, meet the Vajra again.b

Unfortunately somebody perverted it for war.

It's probably a different microorganism... the V-type bacterium associated with the Vajra caused debilitating illness and eventual death in humans (and human-like organisms) because it took up residence in the brain.

The fold bacterium that's causing the Var syndrome doesn't seem to be killing anyone except by driving them berserk.