music

wyaxyz

I would have figured the M7 fans would like Elton John, George Michael, and the Pet Shop Boys.

Elton John is not that bad,... However can't say anything good about GM and PSB and no I haven't watched M7 yet, reason you can tell I have not watched it... "I am still typing, for I have not gauged my eyes out yet." :p:lol:

I would have figured the M7 fans would like Elton John, George Michael, and the Pet Shop Boys.

-Elton John wrote 1 good song about Marilyn Monroe

-I always said George Michael was gay, long before he was caught with his pants

down. Nobody believed me

-The Pet shop boys were from a time before I knew what a Heaumeau was

:D

• 1 month later...

Has anybody noticed that over the past year, hair metal has made a comeback with a vengeance? Here are some examples:

- Late last year, Van Halen released The Best of Both Worlds, their most definitive compilation CD to date. The band also reunited with Sammy Hagar (which is still bad for Van Halen purists).

- Speaking of Van Halen, "Panama" was selected as the opening theme for Gran Turismo 4.

- Motley Crue also reunited (they sucked without Vince Neil, anyway) and released their compilation CD Red White and Crue.

- The Scorpions' hit song "Rock You Like a Hurricane" was recently used in a recent T.G.I. Friday's commercial, as well as the first episode of Pamela Anderson's latest show Stacked.

- This month, Def Leppard will release Rock of Ages: The Definitive Collection. Being a Def Leppard fan for life, I'm not missing out on this one.

- RATT, Cinderella, Quiet Riot and Firehouse are headlining VH1's Rock Never Stops tour (last year's tour featured KISS and Poison).

Now if only Axl Rose got the real Guns 'N' Roses back together. I refuse to recognize the current band as GNR, and I'm definitely not looking forward to this Chinese Democracy CD they're releasing (if it'll ever get off the ground).

Now if only Axl Rose got the real Guns 'N' Roses back together. I refuse to recognize the current band as GNR, and I'm definitely not looking forward to this Chinese Democracy CD they're releasing (if it'll ever get off the ground).

I sure as hell hope they never get back together, as a big GNR fan I realize they're never going to match the brilliance of Appetite for Destruction, so why bother? Axl is too busy being full of himself and Slash is too busy not caring and just wanting to play real rock... just wouldn't work anymore, better left to enjoy the memories.

I listen to just about anything, big favorites include The Doors (loved them since I was a kid), The Who, Queen and Guns n' Roses. I'll honestly listen to just about anything, and I'm a sucker for pop and catchy songs so I dig stuff like Savage Garden as well. Also love 80's rock and pop, early 90's alternative, some hip-hop rap (I love Jay-Z's Black Album), dance, the occasional J-pop or J-Rock, all sorts of stuff. About the only thing I can't stand is whiny indie rock, bullshit poser bands like Green Day and easy-listening jazz.

Right now I'm getting pumped up for the Social Distortion concert at UCD, so I've been listening to a lot of punk... Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones.

Edited by yellowlightman

Just picked up the Pillow's album 'Penalty Life', been listening to that most of today. Lately I've also been listing to the song Juke Box Hero by Foreigner quite a bit. Had a nagging desire to listen to the Heavy Metal album, but my copy seems lost to time so I'll have to pick it up again sometime.

Just picked up the Pillow's album 'Penalty Life', been listening to that most of today.

I saw The Pillows in San Francisco last month, and got shown up by a bunch of unknown Japanese girl punk bands like Tsushimamire. Kind of a bummer, the audience was 90% otaku who were there only for The Pillows and practically ignored the other 4-5 bands.

I think I saw Egan Loo there too, oddly enough.

Here's what you'll typically find playing in my truck or my office:

Cannibal Corpse

Morbid Angel

Slayer

OLD Metallica (before the tragic loss of Cliff Burton)

OLD Megadeth (because Dave really pussed out when he "found god")

Led Zeppelin

The Doors

Pink Floyd

Lamb of God

Fear Factory

It's a pretty wide variation in styles, but it all helps my day of working with idiots go faster.

Good stuff Keats.

Highlights from my ridiculously obsessive music collection -

Modern/College Rock:

Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Son Volt, Elliott Smith, Pernice Brothers, Gomez, Ryan Adams, White Stripes, Beck, Flaming Lips, Ben Harper, Seal, Chris Isaak, Hem, Death Cab for Cutie, the Shins, the Thrills, the Darkness, the Killers, Chemical Bros, Kings of Leon, Cake, Weezer, They Might Be Giants, Travis, Coldplay, Radiohead, Radiohead, and more Radiohead.

Classics:

Queen, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Who, Mellencamp, Black Crowes, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Van Morrison, Clapton, Elton John, Red Hot Chili Peppers, REM, CCR, GnR, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Neil Young, CSN, NIN, U2, and anything by Paul Simon.

Eclectic:

John Coltrane (anything with McCoy Tyner on keys), Bela Feck, Strength in Numbers, Edgar Meyer, loads and loads of 70's and 80's one hit wonders, Hank Williams SENIOR, Johnny Cash, Some various Grateful Dead, Phish, and Widespread Panic that I enjoyed in college, tons of various techno/DJ stuff I've picked up in clubs after college, and the occasional masterful tune by Neil Diamond.

There are many, many, many things I'm leaving out. There is also a reason why I have 2000 CDs, 160 GB of music on my computer, and 39.5 of my 40 GB used on my 40GB iPod. :)

Weeks later... ;)

Have you heard the new Weezer album? Just plain bad. Don't know what's gotten into Rivers but Make Believe is just hard to listen to.

I hate that Jetta commercial with the Kings of Leon song. I think it's "Molly's Staircase".

Man, so many metal heads on the board, who knew?

I like all things except country, although I can stand it if I have to. I will always love hiphop and r&b since I am black, and that is the music of my people, but I am really also into alternative rock, and escpicially trance. I love dj teisto, ferry corsten, paul van dyke, atb, etc. That is what really motivates me. Oh of course my macross and macross plus soundtracks, pulse is the greatest song ever!!!!!

I listen mostly to classical and 80's music. I do like some of the new stuff, but not enough to warrant starting new collections.

I know this sounds gay, but I also love the Go Go's; I actually got to meet Jane Wiedlin backstage at one of their last concerts together at Irvine Meadows back in '84. She was friggin' beautiful.

Wow. How'd I miss this thread? ^_^

Well, I listen to all sorts of music, Jazz, soul, blues, the like. My main love is British rock/blues from the 60s to the 70s.

My favourite bands are always changing. However, the records that are always going round at my place are Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Clash, Jimi Hendrix, blah. There's just too many to list.

It's be easier if I just listed my most recent CD buys.

Jet: Get Born

The Who: My Generation Deluxe Edition (overflowing with bonus tracks!!)

Free: Fire and Water

Deep Purple: Greatest Hits (Something about Deep Purple that makes me lose their albums all the time. This is the latest buy.. I wonder how long it lasts till it too disappears..)

Eric Clapton: Greatest Hits (the one released in 1982, so kinda pointless. As above, I already pretty much had all the damn songs on this CD, but they're back in the UK. Plus I can't refuse at the price of Y500.)

Peter Frampton: Frampton Comes Alive x2 (Again, same deal. Except this time, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I bought two versions of the same bloody album in two consecutive days!! I now own three different versions. Gave one to my girlfriend. Bob Mayo RIP.)

I spent a lot of money travelling and stuff recently though, so the next purchase will probably just be Fukuyama Fire, the Nekki Basara Tribute album. Although I was planning on getting a DVD of The Kinks and the new Sessions For Robert J by Eric Clapton.

Maybe I'm just doomed to forever buy the same albums over and over again. :rolleyes:

Edited by Renato

I listen to all kinds of stuff myself. I listen to hip-hop, blues, r&b, electronica, industrial, jazz. Anything that suits my mood I suppose. Currently in my CD player Nine Inch Nails With Teeth.

MP3s currently in rotation: The Cure Close to me, David Gray Please forgive me , The Cars Drive, and a bunch of house songs by Paul VanD, Oakenfold, Sasha, Digweed, etc....

I like the Bee Gees.

Those guys had chicks unlimited in the 70s.

sorry to be OT: Jimmy Fallon's SNL skit of the lead singer (Barry Gibbs?) with his own talk show was hilarious :lol:

Edited by JKeats

NIN, Zombie, Enya, Enigma, KMFDM/MDFMK, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Classical of all sorts, Irish music by the Chieftans, Prodigy, Orbital, The Crystal Method. Anything really.

Barry Gibb rules the planet. Not only does he have more machismo than any other 70's disco star... he managed to write & produce huge hit songs for other people while "disco backlash" caused people to burn Bee Gees albums in the 80s.

That's a smart dude.

And let's face it... he rocked the medallions well. :lol:

Edited by Blaine23

Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Queen, Guns'n'Roses, The Beatles, Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd, Yoko Kanno's soundtracks (specially Cowboy Bebop), Noubuo Uematsu's 90s works, and nowadays I have a worrying fixation on listening Tenshi no Enogu continuously (on the other side it has provided me with some welcome social isolation in my computer lab).

Anyone here listen to Judas Priest?

Breaking the law! Breaking the law!

Breaking the law! Breaking the law!

HELL YES!!!!!!!!! How did I ever forget to list them? Somebody smack me!

I especially like Halford's "Crucible". Even though it's a new album, it sounded like the classic metal that he was known for with Priest.

Just picked up the Pillow's album 'Penalty Life', been listening to that most of today.

I saw The Pillows in San Francisco last month, and got shown up by a bunch of unknown Japanese girl punk bands like Tsushimamire. Kind of a bummer, the audience was 90% otaku who were there only for The Pillows and practically ignored the other 4-5 bands.

I think I saw Egan Loo there too, oddly enough.

That always depresses me, when a band shows up, and most of the crowd are just there to hear their anime music and nothing else. There's some great tracks on the album I picked up, I hope they play some of them when I go to see them in Chicago this weekend.

So you're saying these other bands were better? I'll have to look up Tsishimamire. Maybe they'll have some albums at ACen.

That always depresses me, when a band shows up, and most of the crowd are just there to hear their anime music and nothing else. There's some great tracks on the album I picked up, I hope they play some of them when I go to see them in Chicago this weekend.

Yeah, I mean... The Pillows still put on a great show, I just thought they got upstaged by the less-famous bands that were also playing.

So you're saying these other bands were better? I'll have to look up Tsishimamire. Maybe they'll have some albums at ACen.

Not sure how easy to find their CDs are, the one I bought at the concert did a poor job of capturing the energy of their live performance, but I can send you a few MP3s if you'd like. The other bands I saw at the concert we The Emeralds (decent, if slightly generic rock), Titan Go Kings (little Japanese girl punk rockers), and Betty Booka (electric ukilaelee duet). Who are the Pillows playing with in Chicago?

I listen to Christian Rock and Praise and Worship exclusively.

Michael W. Smith

Fernando Ortega

Third Day

Nicole Nordeman

Stephen Curtis Chapman

Point of Grace

Jars of Clay

Don't know much about Christian music, but I used to listen to the Christian metal band Stryper back in elementary school.

I'll pretty much listen to anything that doesn't suck (IE Rap and country)

Here's a small sample:

-Van Halen

-Vast (this one's new in my player... they've got good stuff)

-Hoobastank ("Same Direction" is a favorite... as is "Crawling in the Dark")

-Puddle of Mudd ("Away From Me"... doesn't get much better)

-The Who ("Teenage Wasteland" is one of my favs)

-Modest Mouse

-Rush ("Power Windows" and "Roll the Bones": two of the greatest albums ever written)

-Aerosmith

-Beethoven (7th and 9th Symphonies are never far from my player)

-Videogame Soundtracks (I like so much Castlevania, I just burn my own mixes to take with me now... Final Fantasy, Star Control II, and some others round this off)

-Anime Music (Of course I keep a stash of Macross and Gundam music on hand)

-Trooper ("Raise a Little Hell" anyone?)

-Judas Priest ("Turbo Lover" comes to mind...)

-Movie Soundtracks (just about every sort and type)

-Elton John ("Your Song"... guaranteed score music)

-a recording of AgentOne's mother telling me I'm his daddy

I don't dig contemporary christian (hey, leave the worship music to the people who KNOW how to write it... I.E. Bach, Beethoven, Haydin, Handel, etc), and every now and then I'll take a rap song or two, but it's rare. Country is likewise right-out.

Who are the Pillows playing with in Chicago?

They're playing at AnimeCentral, so of course that just means that damn near the entire crowd will be otaku only interested in their FLCL stuff. I forget the other bands that are playing, but there's a list on the AnimeCentral website.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for those other bands, maybe grab a few songs of you to see how they sound. I don't listen to nearly enough new music lately.